Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Sounds like a great day out and thanks for asking, my knees seemed to behave themselves yesterday, so much so I broke with tradition and did a 6m recovery run today.
    Joe - Hope the speedy sess went well?
    We are going to be spoilt for choice Autumn 2021 - hopefully.  Saying that notice increasing numbers of new off-road localish marathons springing up all rather novel, cycle paths marathons, canal marathons. 
  • Options
    TR - I'd have thought your legs would be bulletproof by now. You seem to be well and truly in the zone.

Can understand races focusing on next Autumn for now but presumably some will return to the spring in the long term. Nice ride Wardi. My aim of sprinkling some cycling into my schedule really hasn't been fulfilled, although I could partially blame the weather.

OO - Speedy session went really well. The garmin told me 4 days recovery after Sunday so to manage 15x400m @ a little quicker than 5k pace was a bit of a surprise.

It's been a while since I ran a big half or marathon event, and i'm keen to do so again, but I have to say I'd be happy to run anything for the next one. I am honestly happy to run round a lake or a park provided it's safe and there are other runners or pacemakers to bounce off. So if more events pop up I do think that's a good thing. The racetrack I did my duathlon round would be very safe as a marathon course but like Goodwood would be windy and there's a climb on each lap. Can't have everything I guess!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I've worked out that London and Barca are 5 weeks apart next autumn so if I can get into London with my GFA I'm tempted to do both.

Joe.. 15 x 400m is a tough session, nice one!

After yesterday's sunfest today couldn't have been more different.  Strong winds and horizontal heavy rain most of the day so I wussed out and did 5m on the treadie!
  • Options
    Joe - nice speedy session. Which circuit did you do your duathlon on? Oulton Park has a hill in the middle of it, a nice downhill too though so evens out  

OO - lots of innovation going on with races trying to get off the ground. Knowing a couple of people involved it's good to see as some livlihoods at risk. 

Wardi - filthy is the word I would use for today's weather offering. Unlike you I went outside for 17 angry kilometres. My shed has 3 inches of water on the floor rendering the treadmill 'out of action'. Sods law or what? The very day I would have benefitted from it. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - i havnt noticed much else coming available here.

SJ - made me smile that yr treadie is out of action due to rain. A bit of undulation isnt a bad thing in a mara, although like you it might get tedious on lap 11.

10 wet, windy and hilly miles here this morning. Took the dog to the beach afterwards and it was wild. 79mph wind measured in the solent. If its like that for Goodwood then im a DNS for sure.
  • Options
    TR - the irony was not lost on me I can assure you :smile: However, I now have to fix the problem which will probably involve some membrane and poured concrete to raise the floor. I think the water table locally has risen and my shed floor sits below all surrounding levels (previous owner construction). Its been getting progressively worse but yesterdays rain was too much. Might bring treadie into the living room whilst I empty the shed. What a PITA. 
  • Options
    That is annoying SJ. Coincidentally, we're having concrete poured at our house today. Hope you can fix it quickly and cheaply. The duathlon was at Darley Moor in the peaks.

Wardi - London + Barca double sounds great. Some people in the 100 marathon club will probably tell you 5 weeks between marathons is more than a full recovery. 

Agree that ydays weather was awful. 5 miles running under lots of trees that could have killed me. Elevated heart rate!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SJ - none meant od course, just ironic that the treadie was put out of action by bad weather. As ypu say you could put it on a concrete base (fill a wooden frame with concrete - hire a mixer), depends on how much ceiling height you have.

Did the big daddy 20 x 3min (30 sec jog today), tailed off a bit in 2nd 10 as i got more and more wind battered. 13m total.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. Our shed was Mrs Wardi's idea and it is definitely too small for our treadie!  We did have the shed roof re-felted a few years back when the original blew off in a storm.  Seems reasonably dry inside most of the time.

Joe.. I did Barca & London last year with a 7 week gap, ran faster in the 2nd one.  I think 5 weeks is ok as long as you take it very easy for the first 2 weeks recovery.  I see it as a way of getting 2 marathons out of one training block, not everyone's cup of tea I know.

TR.. that must be near 20 x 800m , brutal stuff so a top bombing award!  A bit breezy here earlier but it has died down during the day.

Enjoyed a pleasant double today, 7.5m this morning around the racecourse and just back from 4.1m off road.  Got a wetting from a short heavy shower but it was quite refreshing really.  Getting my mojo back now I can run without discomfort.    
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Good session Joe, can't beat a bit of the  eyeballs out.
    TR - Classic Zapotek. What a session from you. 
    Wardi - Nice double and running pain free with a returning mojo is ace.
    SJ - Unlucky.
    I ran 5 miles in the sunshine & squalls of yesterday on the coastal path, nature at its finest fantastic. Less  eventful but really enjoyable 9 miler tonight. 
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - none taken mate. I totally saw the funny side of it when I was out battling that storm on Tuesday night. Epic 20 x 3 mins session. How are you running that? By feel? Half mara pace of faster? 30 secs off isn't much either so pretty much a continuous effort. Top stuff. 

Wardi - shed is quite large, for a shed. Plenty of headroom so floor can go up a few inches no problem. Defo not the roof as everrgying above ground is bone dry. Neighbour had some works done last year and installed a gutter and down pipe on his side of my shed. Now wondering if water is getting in due to his down pipe not having a diversion pipe so water running straight down at the base of my shed walls. Have ti empty the shed and move rack shelving for a closer inspection this weekend :(  Nicely doubling. My shiny new P&D schedule has those on Mondays to make up 16km on an easy day. 

OO - I bet it's been a bit blowy on the coastal paths. Lovely place for running. 

Week one well under way with aforementioned 10 miler tuesday and backed up with 22km last night which felt fine until last couple of km. First big one this sunday where I will try out my round the reservoir idea. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SJ - your neighbour might need a soak away dug if its soft ground, or my drain piping if not ?

The 20 x 3 mins isnt really about having a target pace, i averaged around 6.50 pace for the 70min so id guess the reps were between hmp and mp, i certainly didnt run very far in some of the later 30sec jogs. Crab would say dont go looking for the session let it come to you (a bit like a mara), last week i remember getting the 15 reps done and it feeling too easy, but this week i new it was going to be tough as i was feeling it in the first 10,  shame the wind ruined it a bit. As i remember the 20 being a harder session before Abo last yr.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    6m easy, trying to let yday soak in and with another longish long run Saturday.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Got out for 5m with Mrs Wardi yesterday, after a bike tumble a few days ago (bruised & cut knees) she needed a fitness test which she passed with flying colours.
    7.2m this morning, wet & breezy but still better weather than this afternoon!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - ouch, bike tumbles hurt. I had a running tumble yday, but only a bit of superficial damage.

Had a bit more time today so did 15m, legs groaned a bit late on. 90m for the rolling 7 days, long run tomorrow might be tough.

OO - might be running Gloucester in Jan, with a couple of others, to stamp a few gfa tickets early in the year. I will hopefully stamp my ticket at Goodwood, but happy to drive the train.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - Great mileage. Could well be tempted by Gloucester - any of the others, past members of this thread?   After the current race drought any port in a storm.  Talking of races, my club have rescheduled their half marathon to Dec 20th so could be a good part of the build-up for this as my Malaga marathon outing I am sure not going to happen. 
    Wardi - Oucha, very Tour de France. Hope your OK?
    SJ - Yes, it was a lovely run, really love running next to the sea..good luck with your long run, you will feel so much better for it, after mine Iast Sunday I felt like a proper marathon runner again for the first time in a few months, good to get back in the groove.  
    @Mennania hows it going? 
    13m tonight with 6*3.30 minute @ HM pace, the weather felt like early November, August Bank Holiday!!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - usual contenders, good sess there. Ive not seen much outside the Goodwood race days.

After 91m in the previous 7 days inc 15m, todays long run was a tough run with a mix of hills, tired legs and stiff breeze. 10m av 8.21, 7m av 7.09 so nicely around the p and d 10%.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravo TR, great miles with a fair bit of quality in the mix over an 8 days a week stylee.  Been blowy up here all day too.

OO.. good faster intervals in the middle of that MLR.  FTR I tend to fall over running, usually go a couple of years trip free then fall over twice in 2 weeks.  Mrs Wardi tends to fall off the bike occasionally, I haven't fallen off the bike in years.  TDF looked lethal on wet roads today.  :o

Just over 10m today, found a cart track with high hedges to avoid the worst of the wind.
  • Options
    OO - nice work with the reps. 

Wardi - I have fallen over plenty this summer up in the fells. Luckily have managed to tumble unspectacularily into long grass or softer ground. Nicely wind-dodged 10. 

TR - I think I'm on just over your 91 for past six days... in km though. Nice long run again. Those Aussies love to pick the pace up during their long runs, same as P&D. They almost see them as a second (or third) session of the week. I'll be happy to get one on the board today and save the speed-up for another week. See how I feel I guess. 
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    32km in 2:31. Felt really good towards the end and legs felt stronger than I can remember for a first effort. Those fell runs maybe? 

Glorious day for it which brought the crowds but I w as out early doors so pretty decent. This loop even has a sneaky little climb which I think replicates Oulton Parks quite nicely. Will have to manage that each lap. 

I have run all the hills round this reservoir but never ran the resser perimeter before. No idea why. Traffic free, awesome backdrop Etc.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Wardi - good idea re the high hedges. I put a dent in a madras and bombay spud and a few frothies after that run yday.

SJ - you must have been covering the ground well ! Thats a strong run first time out,  you are in decent shape with around 14 weeks to go. Is that on a track or path?........yes, the aussie blokes like a strong finish long run or some sort of session at the end of the run. Makes me laugh as anything that isnt a session gets classed as jogging, they even swap shoes for the end of the run........i think im in decent shape for Goodwood, but its been a different build up, id done five 23 or 24 milers and the IoW and Solent 1/2s before last yrs Abo. Certainly havnt got that lot in the locker this time. Given no bad luck or weather id back myself to sub 3, but its difficult to know exact shape this time.

7m easy peasy pace.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - a mixture of well packed trail, paths and some cobbles for good measure. Oh a gate at the top of the little climb and a cattle grid to tip-toe over. Not ideal but adds a bit of variety. See how bored I get of it. I think it was 9.5 laps but I forgot to keep count. 

It will be interesting following Moose's London build up. A few niggles by the sounds of things. I love that pod, so much better than Marathon Talk IMO. 

I have a couple of big-bottle Staropramen chilled for later. More shed work to do this afternoon first. I diverted neighbours poorly installed down-pipe yesterday and having moved everything out of the shed and moved the two large rack shelving there was a suspicious damp area where that down-pipe was depositing water - above the damp course. Hopefully this helps. Got to plug a few mortar holes today then put everything back and wait for next big downpour. Being Manchester that will be tomorrow probably :)  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SJ - sounds like a decent surface then. You'd go quicker still  on road. You might want to do a few tarmac long runs nearer race day........sounds like you've found the shed issue esp if that pipe was dumping on to your shed. Hopefully the re routing works. Theres cricket at Manchester agsin today and next week so it'll no doubt rain soon.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Oh I meant to say that although you are missing those hit out races you have still been super consistent. Some sharper stuff towards the end should ice the cake nicely. A strong sub 3 and bank all that training for a good crack at 2021. That's my plan. 

Haha the cricket is making me smile. Old Trafford copped for lots of flak because of the rain but then Southampton has struggled too. Just one of those crappy summers I guess. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SJ - Fantastic picture, looks a great place to run and what a return to long runs, very speedy indeed. You are in very decent shape. Those beers sound a good reward.
    TR - A good sub3 time for you no doubt at all.  I don't think I've seen you put together such a strong training lead-up to a race and those faster second sections of the long runs will pay dividends. As SJ says maybe a quick training half marathon over the next few weeks to finish it off and give you that confidence boost. 
    An interesting morning for me.  A dog walk where I got chatting to a member of girl-band Banarama who lives locally and was also dog walking - think it was Keren, she still has it!?  Then run-time and knocked off 21m of Cornwall's finest in 2.45 all pretty easy and steady.  So 64m for the week, the longest for a while, but generally all pretty easy and steady low-intensity stuff but that's fine as no plans to race for a while and the London virtual will be an easy steady affair.  Off for a BBQ now, in the company of a few bottles of St Austells Proper Job. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    SJ  - ill probably do the Dec 6th mara too. One of the Southampton days they were off for rain and it was 35 degrees at ours which is LT 20m away.

QO - top work today then, enjoy the proper job. She was quite foxy in the 80s, she moved to Cornwall with the wooden half of Wham (George Michael put him on some of the songs as a co writer, so he lived off the royalties), think they've separated now though. Fair play to Andrew Ridgley, kick back and go surfing whilst the royalties came in.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. meeting Keren Woodward by chance is really saying something  :/  A fine long run in the bag too, you've definitely earned the tucker & beers.

SJ.. cracking effort running those loops at a decent lick.  Lovely setting too.  In my prime I remember doing a solo long run of 21m @ av 7.12 pace just on feel.  It's great when you feel flowing and in control like that.  Warsteiner in my fridge for later.  :p

TR..  ooh I do enjoy a Madras occasionally, much prefer the spicy curries to milder offerings.  Mrs Wardi often goes for the curries with banana or pineapple in!

12m this morning which took me just over 60m for the week for the first time since March.  Having just got used to running in the heat recently it was around 12-13 degrees today, almost chilly! 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good miles there. Agreed, a couple of weeks ago it was all warm running, now ive got the long sleeves out.

8m easy, 347 for Aug, which is decent for me.
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - great running as per. Wind has been a real pain this summer. The 20x3 sounds "fun", not much recovery in there. Gloucester not the quickest course? Can't remember if it's Gloucester or Worcester that has a good deal of climbing.

Wardi - big week with the cycling too. Looking strong.

OO - I'd say that 21m was run at a decent pace. Not all low intensity! Nice to go out and earn your food and drink :)

SJ - Lovely looking run and sounding like you finished pretty strong. Which reservoir did you run round? All raising expectations in here. No pressure.

Couple of days off running, time spent in garden instead. Feeling achy today but got back on it with a 3x3k with 500m jog. Managed to keep efforts to target 10k pace. Was pleased enough with that but then realised when I got home I'd run a 10k pb in the process (37:01). Happy days. Still aiming for a sub 36 in 4 weeks time. I know i've run hard though, legs feeling it this afternoon. 15km total, longest for a long time.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Not many of us run a PB in training Joe, top bombing and very promising for the main event.

TR.. av of 11m+ per day in August is impressive; as is keeping the mojo going with little in the way of races to aim for.

A steady 5.2m with the Mrs today. After Saturday's 40mph winds it was calmer than a millpond today with sun and blue sky.  Postponed last night's beers and will have them tonight with my bank holiday bhajis & Jalfrezi treat.  Rogan Josh for Mrs Wardi. :p