Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice run, hope your system kicks out the potential bug.  Re Garmin.. TBH it was easy enough to charge up the old one and re-assign it to Garmin Connect/Express.  Mind you I had briefly forgotten how to store the run when I'd finished. :/

A bit chilly but otherwise glorious today.  Enjoyed blue sky & sun for just over 12m.

Might get up for the Valencia Marathon tomorrow, mara 07:30 start our time, half marathon 07:00.  Looks like a hell of a stacked field, 46 sub 2:07 men!
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    A cold duly arrived midweek so I've ran 30 mins total this week. I reckon I was on the edge of it last week with the soaking pyjamas. I must admit to losing a bit of motivation and it was easy to work a bit extra and forgo the running. I have have next week to go before I finish for the year. 

Probably not going to do a spring race for fear of it not going ahead again. I need something to get me out of the door though. I did put my name down for a club XC 8k today but missed that too with the sniffles. 

Brighter days ahead for sure. Hope Marders goes well tomorrow in Valencia.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    90 mins indoors watching Valencia stream.

Twinge in my back from emptying the shed yesterday, the tanking and concrete next week. It's funny how motivation and confidence can affect things so much so quickly. Last sunday I was chomping at the bit, today less so.

Decided to stick to some sort of maintenance program for next few weeks. 80km or so with a midweek run and 90-120 mins on a sunday. I'll do some effort minutes to keep the legs ticking over and a tempo. Should keep things going. 
  • Options
    17 for me to bring up 60 for the week: first time since February, I think - possibly early March.

@SJ: it's inevitable your mojo will dip. I'd actually do a proper end of season break in your situation, and for me that starts with a week of no running :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Wardi - good gadgetry skills

SJ - that amount would keep you in good shape. Dont discount a spring mara yet, im pretty sure there will be a push to get areas into tier 2 as soon as infection rates allow. Good that marders got his sub 2.20 this time. Do they have to isolate for 2 weeks now? Id have loved to have run that race, but i hated being locked in for 2 weeks.

You are backing up decent weeks jools, nice.

Turbo for me today. Dissappointed to miss Goodwood, no wind today (due to my absence) so there were some rapid times accross the various distances. A quick scan shows someone who did 2.47 last time ran 2.42 today, i reckoned on losing about 30sec/lap accross the 11 laps, so seems about right.
  • Options
    TR - 5 double figures runs per week is really good going. Is it a spring marathon you want to start ramping up the long runs for? 

SJ - 80k weeks are still pretty big, sure that’d be more than just maintaining fitness. 

14.3 miles off road in the New Forest for me. I hadn’t used the function before but downloaded a route to my Garmin and just ran to feel, really enjoyed it. Ankle deep in mud and water in places but I had loads of fun. Might have to do that more often when I haven’t got anyone to do my LSR with, I’m a bit bored of my normal routes in Southampton. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    JH87.. sounds like a tough but enjoyable run.  I do have a few routes that I drive a few miles to as I also like a change to the local roads/trials.

TR.. yes a mixture of sod's law and pot luck on race conditions.  I've had hailstones, soakings and heatwaves at VLM.

Jools.. nice long run to bring up the 60m week.

SJ.. I can understand your 'meh' state of mind after a promising build up.  Just keep ticking over, daily runs have certainly helped me during this awful situation.

A pleasant 10k this morning and managed to pick a dry weather window.  Rained pretty steadily early morning and this afternoon.   58m for the week.   

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    SJ - 80km a week with your current level of fitness will keep you in  great shape over the winter.  Don't rule a Spring marathon out, your due a good return on your training investment.
    TR - You've had a good training week.  Decent weather and better times at Goodwood, it would have to be wouldn't it. 
    TT - Sounds a good strategy.  You will bounce back in no time. 
    RJR - 2k @ 6.36 is still pretty swift.  Crack it next time.
    Jools - Good to see the runs getting longer and the miles crnacking up.  60 miles per week is a great place to be for sub3. 
    Wardi - Nice 12m. 
    JH/YIK - Welcome, hope you hang around.  That looks like a cracking run JH. I ran 8m in similar yesterday, good for the soul. 
    With my road HM surprisingly now confirmed, was overdue to do a pacey endurance run rather than lots of easy miles, so Garmin on and a training-run HM in 1.28.01 (super morning to run, blue skies, sunny and crisp) 1st mile @ 7.14 and the others aver. 6.40.  Hopefully will get the training benefit on Dec 20th!  Easy week now as I am really aching. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    JH - theres some Southampton to Winchester trails, that ive heard folks refer to ? Im doing Dorney Lake mara, easter Saturday, 13wks from new year, which is when im aiming to try to pick it up a bit.

Wardi - good weather beating skills.

OO - ooh nice, thats a good reference point. Similar to my 6.40 paced  mp runs before GW. You are obviously in good shape.
  • Options
    Good plan SJ. If that did anything less than maintaining i'd be impressed. I'm with TR on the spring marathon. I'm pretty glass half empty with Covid but I still feel it is worth training for the spring.

Nice JH. 14 miles off road worth a few more on road with the kind of accumulation of fatigue you get in the legs I reckon.

Miracle to have stayed dry this morning Wardi, or at least would have been round my way. Nice one.

OO - Loving training run, although really rubbing it in with the weather. Suspect you'll be going a few minutes quicker in 2 weeks time?

I too watched Valencia but was pretty uninspired by the coverage. Valencia looks lovely but the scenery isn't enough in itself to keep you entertained watching a group of 20 or so running together for 30 odd kilometres. Must have been many more stories out there to keep on top of but the focus seemed to be on the best of the best.

12k today which should have been progressive but was just steady. Felt a little guilty so I unleashed for the final k and ran a 3:28. Aiming for a 16:45 on the track in a couple of weeks with the magic shoes. Nothing I can do now but stay fresh and sharp.
  • Options
    Morning all. It's been a while. I always drop by every 5 days or so to catch up with what everyone has been up to, but never post. Apologies.

SJ - really sorry to see that you weren't able to race in the end. Rest and reset like others have said.

Secured my place in the thread for another year yesterday. Didn't want to end the streak of 4 x consecutive years sub-3's, so a couple of months ago I got an entry into the run-through Goodwood marathon.

TR - I can confirm there definitely was some wind!! I'm sure it wasn't as bad as the day you had there, but I was variating 20 seconds per mile depending on which part of the lap I was on, and in the later stages it was an absolute slog - seemed to pick up during the morning. I'd been following your problems on here - sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up.

Anyway, there were no other objectives other than run under 3 hours. I think I'm a long way off the dizzy heights of 2:39 right now. Went out a touch fast but felt in control. 11 and a bit laps of the track.

Through halfway in 1:26, still feel ok, but by now the 20 mile, half, 10km and 5km have all started and there's all sorts of weaving going on. 

Around mile 22 I remembered that no marathon is ever easy and no sub-3 can ever be a given. A minor implosion, but too late to put the time in too much danger and came home in 2:56. Fun day out, but probably wouldn't do it again - a bit of a boring course and zero atmosphere!
  • Options
    Job done, Joe. It's pretty clear you're not on commission, though! And didn't they get the 5km wrong, so it was only a 4.6km and everyone has adjusted times?!

A steady 6 as a recovery run for me this morning.
  • Options
    Wardi - nice weekly total

OO - really solid pace for a training half, enjoy the easier week

TR - the trail from Southampton to Winchester is called the Itchen Navigation. We do it as a club social run in the summer usually, have a couple of beers in Winchester then get the train back. It’s a decent route, though can get quite overgrown in the spring. I walked it with a friend a few weeks ago but it was flooded in places so had to double back and take the road near Otterbourne. 
    I’ve been thinking about Dorney but was feeling like spring might be too soon. That said, I don’t think there are going to be many other distractions this winter so maybe a good opportunity. 

RJR - 16:45 is flying! Good luck with that. I’m looking forward to track sessions and some proper speed work again once we’re able to get club sessions on. 

JB - nice one on a tough sounding sub-3

5m easy this morning after a half hour yoga session. Feeling tired and tight in the hamstrings from yesterday’s mud and hills
  • Options
    Well done JB. Beauty of the sub 3 target is that it's still going to be a struggle for anyone but the elite ie you can't just rock up and expect a sub 3. A 4 minute drop off in the second half doesn't actually sound too bad to me. I know what that feels like as that's what I had last April at Stratford!

Appreciate it was boring but might have to put an entry into Goodwood for April/July just to get a mark on the board. I have a Liverpool place which may get cancelled in May and presumably I could enter Milton Keynes but it's likely to be correlated with Liverpool. Sounds like the 5k at Goodwood was fun and games yesterday with bike taking the wrong turn and it ending up 400m short.

Oulton Park would be closer but my colleague who ran the half there yesterday measured it 400m long. I think that's reflected in there being just 3 pbs in the top 50. The marathon though had loads of pbs so maybe running there isn't so bad?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    JH - that sounds like it, probably one for the summer then, as i bet it gets a bit wet this time of year.

JB - fair play, well played. as you say all marathons are easier on paper than tarmac. I guessed there'd be some wind as its so exposed, just less than i copped. Imagine the splits i was doing. I dont mind the closed off races for a marathon as im not actually racing anyone its all about pace vs effort for myself. As you say biggest let down is the 5k and 10k brigade that you have to weave through. Dorney doesnt have those distances. My GW entry got deferred so I'll go use it.

Joe - nail on the head there, for 2.5Xers like me all marathons take  certain amount of converting.

At goodwood you run the wrong way from the finish line when you start and then turn at the correct point (or not), then do your x amount of laps. I guess the cyclist got his distances mixed up, good job it was only a 5k which can be done again soon.
  • Options
    rjr - nice 2k TT.

Wardi - tough break on the watch, but at least you have a backup (and the treadie).

sj -  a low key maintenance approach sounds like a good idea mentally as well as physically.

Joe - well done on bagging the sub-3. The lack of crowd must have been an issue when it got tough?

I got too cold at Jr's football Saturday morning so took the day off, and then just went for a gym session on Sunday leaving me on 62m for the week (still my biggest week in longer than I can remember). Started this week off as 30 mins up, 4 x 1/4m (1min recs) on the roads, 30 mins down. Got 84, 83, 82, 81 for the quarters. It's almost funny to start a short reps session at about Mara pb pace. Got to start somewhere though!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - onwards and upwards.

10m commute home for me.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. in some ways I do miss my old runs home from work, bet that was a chilly one!

JoeB.. nice to see you on the thread again and congrats on the multi lap breezy marathon, target achieved. :D

TT.. nice session for a Monday.  62m from 5 days is good going last week.

OO.. cracking HM time for a training run, nicely done.

A bit nippy today (circa 3 degrees) but ok once I warmed up, 8.5m done.  Good news in that the Garmin strap arrived today (only ordered it on Friday afternoon!) so that is now fitted and I'm back with the smaller 230.  My arm feels about 2oz lighter. ;)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - id like to have more time to run when it gets light, but at least hobsons choice means i cant dilly dally. It was wet, cold and dark.

It rained last night here and then the temps plummeted early doors (i could hear the roof icing up at 4am) which made todays run commute very slow and a bit silly, so just the 5m minimum. Although thats not a bad thing at the mo.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Day of two halves here today TR.  I got out this morning in the sun & dry stuff for 7.5m.  Afternoon/evening was increasingly soggy.  Tomorrow morning looks ok so I will try for a double digit run.
  • Options
    Character building weather conditions all over the country by the sounds of it. Beautiful day on the south coast but I didn’t have time to get out in daylight so I got the head torch out. It got really misty/foggy as I was running home through the common and almost ran straight into someone. Most people use their phone torch to navigate that part of the path but this guy was fairly well hidden in the darkness. 

8.5 miles with 3 @ 6:30-6:45 pace 
  • Options
    TT - sharp quarter miles there. Hell of a week with 2 days off!
    Wardi - nice consistency in less than ideal conditions. it certainly is wet and cold atm!
    TR - I've heard of the roof tiles freezing but thought it would have to be pretty extreme temps but obviously not! Can't fault you for taking the minimum miles.
    JH - nice run with marathon paced(?) miles. I've been guilty of being a bit hidden in the past at night so i can't say much but it does wind me up when people are walking at me playing on their phones.

3m yday and another 3 again today. feeling a bit lethargic but keeping it all slow with an eye on hitting up the track on friday in the shoes if I feel good.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Good stuff chaps.

Joe - super shoes are banned on the track now ? (If it was a proper race?), or is that in other countries only?......cos it rained, the roofs, pavements, cars etc were all wet, then it froze and everything had a coating of ice. Folks scraping cars were struggling to get the doors open.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe .. sensible tapering if your 5k TT is due, I think everyone feels sluggish before major events.  A day or two before a full marathon is probably all the carb loading. :p

JH87.. on my old run commute there were a lot of dark lanes & paths so the head torch was certainly worth it's investment.  I suppose if people are out for a walk in the dark they don't think 'hi viz' like us.  One passer by once commented that he though my head torch was better than most bike lights!

TR.. you must be having colder/mistier nights down there, it's chilly here but I haven't seen any frost recently.

Just over 14m this morning, a bit grey but light winds so a pleasant run.  Looks like a mixed weekend due here, dry & calm Saturday, wet & windy Sunday.
  • Options
    JackHarris87JackHarris87 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    RJR - it’s certainly not marathon pace yet but the plan is for my first sub-3 attempt in September. Good plan to keep it easy this week so the legs are fresh. 

Wardi - 14m midweek is good going. Nice morning for it. 
    I’ve been thinking I need to upgrade my head torch to a USB one. My current battery one doesn’t seem to stay bright enough for long, I guess I’d save on batteries by buying a better rechargeable one. 

10 mile head torch run with a mate from my club this evening. No near misses to report. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Wardi - we've had some pretty cold temps here,  makes it tough on the fingers during run and bike commutes, plenty of frost and ice. Top work on the mlr, you are up to decent mileage.

11m run home tonight.
  • Options
    JH87 - I invested in a chest torch instead of a head torch. Much more comfortable. Also means you can pretend to be Iron Man if you're feeling silly; lol.

Nice mileage TR and Wardi. I'll second TR; there have been some bitter mornings down this end of the country. I got 15m done yesterday am and don't think it got above zero. 8+5 double today where 5 degrees almost felt summery by comparison.
  • Options
    TT - I think chest torch is probably a good idea. I don't find it all that comfy with the torch on my head. Banging out the mileage again. Nice one.
    TR - Well it's just me solo on the track. I've only got the 4%s as well if that makes any difference? Interesting though that there's evidence out there that the 4%s don't perform that well on the track, at least relative to spikes. I don't own spikes so presumably still some benefit to be had?
    JH - Sounds like a good plan!
    Wardi - It's probably mostly in my head. My energy levels are definitely down in the last few weeks. Struggling to get out of bed, but then it is dark. More running in the evenings in the dark rather than at lunchtime. All things that could have an effect. Chunky midweek run from you there.
  • Options
    I'm small enough I can wear my lightweight Petzl headtorch around my waist. 
  • Options
    Great to see Joe B ticking the sub-3 box for 2020. He normally negative splits so can imagine the 2nd half was an unusual experience for him.
    TT - Good to see you with the bit between your teeth again. 
    JH87 - Do you have a specific Sept marathon in mind?
    Wardi - Good midweek 14m.
    Joe -I would hope to go a few minutes quicker but (said to the  M&S marketing theme). This is not a normal half marathon, its a Cornish half marathon, it has 1000 ft of climbing, 5 big hills and descents we have been warned about! C1.26 would be decent.
    7&4&7 for the week so far. All in daylight as wfh and hate running in the dark after sunset, before sunrise surprisingly fine.