Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    True enough TR, duly noted that Man City, Leeds and now Sunderland have all graced Division 3.  The feeling up in the Toon is that the owner wants out, the manager seems to be on an annual salvage operation, it's a ship without a rudder ATM.

Ditto 10m here on similarly tired legs.  I guess a mixture of last night's club session and a very hot and sultry  morning.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Bruce was unlucky with CV and injuries taking his players away at times. They have a good side when everyone is available.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - very true words re supporters demanding unrealistic spending. Some dont realise you have to cut your cloth. Saints no strangers to imploding.

Right not to bash the tired legs. Taper time soon as you say. 

Wardi - nice 10 in the heat on tired legs too. 

I'll make it a hat trick of mlr on tired legs after a session the night before. Felt strong last night and caught the A group for the first time since returning to the club sessions. Always a good feeling. 

Tired as hell today and started my mlr creaking a little. Left ankle seems to want a mile or two to ease into things. 

Chose a route tonight with a big hill in the middle of it just to keep things interesting. Ended up with 13.6 miles but called it about a mile from home and walked back. Toast. Easy run tomorrow for sure. 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Careful on that ankle sj.
    TR - sounds encouraging with the 14 x 3min.
    Wardi - I've not been keeping up with it, but I'd imagine any blocked takeover is due to somebody failing the 'fit and proper persons' test (ironic given some of the existing owners!) so Ashley probably won't have a leg to stand on.
    7m very easy (8:08) yesterday. Today's plan is some fartlek if I feel good.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    First structured workout down (and hopefully my standard Thursday for the foreseeable). 3m up, Mona fartlek, 3m down. Averaged 5:35/7:05 for the fast/rec so happy with that for a first attempt.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. crikey that takes me back, 'mona' after Steve Moneghetti!  2x90 secs, 90 float, 2x60secs, 60 float etc?  I did that a few times in my younger day.  Nice paces BTW.
    TR.. just realised it's now 3 & a bit weeks to Goodwood for you, almost time to wind down a touch.  How many more long runs?
    SJ.. you did well to grind out what you could, that 13.6 miles will at least replicate running on tired legs towards the end of a marathon.  Hope the ankle discomfort eases.

I was feeling pretty washed out for the rest of yesterday.  Felt recharged after a good sleep but kept it down to a steady 5.3m off road this morning.  The only problem with off road in the summer is the accumulation of bites, rashes and nettle stings - in the shower I can't tell which is which!🙄

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - you did well to grind out 13 on tired legs. What session did you do Tues ?

Good progression TT

Wardi  - im in the tired club too......2 more long runs. Mp run this weekend, +10% run the following.

8m commute dragging an anchor this morning, probably should have gone a shorter route, but it was too late for that once id gone a certain way.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    TT - nice workout. I only discovered the Mona fartlek after listening to an Aussie podcast. I really enjoy it although I programmed my Garmin as I kept forgetting what I was supposed to be doing and when. The Aussies measure the workout in distance covered. 

Wardi - ditto on just over 5 miles today, very slow at this end. Tow path is a mess with flying insects. Still better than running along busy roads. 

TR - Tues session was 9mins, 6mins, 5x2mins. Ran it pretty hard and got quicker. On grass too which always used to make my ankles sore. 

26 day streak also a factor as I've been 6 days a week for most of build back. 

Well done getting through the tired run this morning

Thanks all for ankle best wishes. I think I reached the over-training zone yesterday so got a good nights sleep and ran very slowly tonight. I've been doing ankle rotations today trying to free it. It was still stiff when I first set off but eased after a mile or so. Too many fast miles I suspect so plan to slow things down a touch over next few days. 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    sj - this is very true. 3.2 miles for the record. Glad to read your ankle is improving. 

Wardi - 2 x 90s, 4 x 60s, 4 x 30s, 4 x 15s. 

You're nearly there TR. Keep on keeping on. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. I'll have a go at that soon as I'm nearing the end of my niggle symptoms.
    TR.. hope the MP run goes to plan.  Tomorrow looks cooler than Sunday.
    SJ..hope the ankle problems pass with an easier few days.  

My other new shoes arrived late evening yesterday (Fuel Cell TC).  The soles are softer/spongier than the RC racers but I must say great fun to run in.  2 x 4m in them today and very impressed.  Longer run planned for tomorrow, conditions look good.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SJ - Better news on the ankle.
    TR - Nearly at freshening up time.

The UTMB has contacted all UK runners giving the option of running this year or deferring to 2022 or 2023 with your qualifying points remaining. The ideal outcome, so am deferring. 

With the pressure of the race gone, and the need to get more points,  I am on the bench as pretty sure for the past 3 months, as well as the Morton's Neuroma,  I've been running with a broken metatarsal/ stress fracture (same foot, different toe) which registered 8 on the OO pain scale on Wednesdays truly beautiful coastal run.   I imagine 4-5 weeks for this to recover, and a few other ailments to recover, and then should be OK for the Autumn marathons.  So hello cycling my old friend, hello sofa for the Euro's /  TdF.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good mix of paces SJ, id defo keep that over than an LT run for now. Hows yr shoes? Ive had a sore ankle and foot this week but worked out ive been using a coiple of shoes that are over 400m, so they need to be mixed with some newer shoes for the rest of their miles.

Wardi - sounds like you're happy with your purchases.

OO - the deferment sounds ideal now then, esp if you have an SF. Good time of yr for swimming too.

5m eaay with a few strides this morning, trying to freshen the legs uo for tomorrows long run. Will have a few frothies later in preparation.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Wardi - new shoes sound like they are suiting you well. I bet they feel good when you do that Fartlek session. 

OO - sounds like a blessing in a way then. Gives you time to iron out the creases and refocus. Good news on the deferral. 

TR - agree on the sessions over the lighter LT runs. As you said the fast finish mlr and long runs equate to another session I think. I will do some kind of longer reps session every fortnight or so. Hope those beers are going down well. 

10 tonight on the tow path. Out easy, back slightly faster. Ankle felt ok but I did some activations beforehand which I think helped. Stretching the calf and ankle rotations also. 

Enjoy your long runs tomorrow. I'll be out on Sunday but most likely slightly less than recent weeks as P&D starts at 16 and a bit. Due a lighter long run anyway especially given the grumbles this week. 
  • Options
    Another member of the sluggish club here. Wednesday night's league fixture was hot and humid, and having just raced 5000m on Sunday, arguably a race or two too far. After the warm up I was soaked through. I tried to run the 800m at my 1500m race pace. Failed. I only managed the pace my coach had said I should run the 3000m at. Needless to say I couldn't hold it for 3000m! By the end of lap 2 I'd given up looking at the splits I'd written on my arm and was just concentrating on keeping going. Former GB elite Juliet Potter was well ahead of me, the rest of the field behind. I scraped under 11 minutes and won my category. Juliet mustn't quite be 40 yet, but she can't be far off. I'm not 3 full years older than her. 

400 relay wasn't too bad considering it was straight after the 3000m, and I improved my shot put PB from 3.25 to 5.99m. Still a good laugh, even if my races were lacklustre. 

Didn't get home until gone 11.30pm and not in bed until twenty past midnight by the time I'd showered etc. Then I couldn't get to sleep. I was a total zombie yesterday and swapped my rest day, meaning I had to get out for 7 in the crazy wind tonight. My legs are toast. I don't think I've ever run so slowly up the big hill in the middle of that route!
  • Options
    I'm so glad SJ explained the mona thing. I was most confused!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That's a long evening, Speedy. I rarely sleep well after a race in the evening (well, unless something has changed in the last 16 months I don't!).

12 with 8 @ 6.52s this morning. Slightly cheating, as the 8@MP was supposed to be in tomorrow's long run, but today is the slightly cooler day. It felt surprisingly comfortable aerobically, which is encouraging. Normally marathon pace solo for more than a few miles comes out way slower than target pace. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    SJ - good idea on the ankle activation. The +10% long sections in the long runs are my favourite long runs now, make me strong and far less tedious than plodding along.

CC - that was a big ask to race again so soon. Sounds like it messed you up forca few days on total.

Jools - that bodes well then. Fair reward for the saturday sessions youve been putting in. Good to see it pay off.

I had a below par mp run today, thought it would be as i struggled from early on. 3 wks bfore sept goodwood i did my undulating 13.1 in 1.27.1X, 3 wks before in April i did 1.27.4X, today i did 1.28.5X. Best thing about it was i resisted the urge to sack it off many times during the run,  as i knew i was slower than i wanted to be. But Ive been pretty smoked this week so im not surprised,  just told myself the training effect is what im after in the absence of build up 1/2 maras.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. that's a long tempo segment but you've nailed the pace impressively, nicely done!
    CC2.. another fine evening of multi sports, not surprised you were feeling a bit washed out.
    OO.. shame you're forced to stand down, you were training well and showing good speed.  Still, as you say nice cycling weather currently and plenty of sport on the TV.
    SJ.. nice 10 miler along the towpath, any trip hazards from mooring pins?
    TR.. hope the long run went to plan.

14.4m this morning in pleasant conditions.  4 laps of the racecourse completed just as the finely attired afternoon race goers were arriving.  Saw a races bound stretch limo on fire on my way home.  No one hurt thankfully but the front of the vehicle looked like a lump of charcoal and there was lot of smoke.  I didn't think it was particularly warm today but I've drunk about 2 pints of water since I got back.  Might have to open a beer while the footie is on to continue the rehydration.😋🍻
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR Wardi. Weird with the limo! It's a fun session; I'm looking forward to it being a weekly thing. 
    TR - good mental strength there to keep going. 
    Nice MP run Jools.
    OO - sounds like a bit of bench time is long overdue!
    CC2 - sounds like a tough evening but hopefully it'll give you a good training effect. 

7m yesterday mainly very easy but with 1.5m 'fast' at 4m (6:23). Friday will ideally become a MLR with the last 3m at that 'fast' effort. 

8.3m today with a Deek 5km* in the middle. Done it on my local parkrun course and it came out at 19:07, with the 400s averaging 84.8s (slower than marathon pb pace but probably inside current 5km pace!!), and the 200s averaging 52s. Pleased with that for a first stab and it makes a 56m week (tomorrow off), so I'm getting some consistency. 

* Deek 5km = 200m float + 8 x {400m fast, 200m float}.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    CC2 - busy evening as others have said. No wonder you were tired. Decent improvement in the shot :) 

Jools - that's a good early marker with the 8 @ MP and great it felt comfy. Good sign. I have that scheduled for a week tomorrow. Have you adapted the 18 week P&D? 

TR - you did well to stick with it and despite the slower time, there could be many factors and as you say, training effect is what matters. Even on an off day, with a number on you know you would have been faster. Box ticked. 

Wardi - nice laps of the racecourse. Perfect day for it. Your rehydration strategy sounds perfect too. Some of these limos are dubious I reckon in terms of build integrity. I dont trust them. 

TT - another Aussie classic! Is that session aka Deek Quarters?? Do you listen to Inside Running podcast? The three Aussie runners, I know TR listens, good mixture of banter, training info and an aussie focused running news element. Some decent interviews too. Good session and your legs are remembering what it's like to turnover well again

10k easy run this afternoon listening to the latest batting collapse. Activations worked again as ankle was free at the start of the run but got a little sore towards the end which is the opposite of what has bee  happening. I dont think I'm past this one just yet. Easy miles tomorrow with company. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry x-post TR.  You've put in a cracking endurance campaign with plenty of MP & faster stuff.  Today was probably a result of recent training fatigue so bank it and pat yourself on the back for digging in.
    TT.. another good session and a solid week again.  I suppose you have to hope the Mrs doesn't find any more repair jobs for you!
    SJ.. if I get any foot/ankle problems I tend to switch shoes every run which often works.  My last one was an arch of foot ache which made my big toe seize up a few times - thankfully gone now!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Wardi - it was scorchio running yday, so not surprised with the fluid needed after. I looked like id been swimming not running.

TT - if you're doing the training of the likes of Mona and Deek, you'll be well placed. Agreed with SJ on the podcast, very entertaining.

SJ - i saw some of that collapse, our white ball sides have overtaken the test side nowadays.

Went walking with spo early today, so decided not to do anythind else after ydays hard effort in the heat. Im pretty relaxed about yday being tough, i was pretty smoked and it was pretty warm, id timed it to finish at mid day in preparation for 3 wks time. I was a lot quicker in my 10mp a couple of weeks ago. I had intended to use the Next% yday for the 13m, leaving the cows to keep an eye on my trainers in the hedgerow, but it hought it more imprortant to carry a drink and gels to the 13m section instead of a change of shoes.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Wardi - I do rotate shoes but they are all the same make and model. You could have a point about a different stimulus and loading. 

TR - we've had a nice breeze up here which has meant that running has been pleasant. However, still totally soaked at the ene of all recent running. Good point on the fluid. I take a running vest with soft flasks if I know I'm out for a while, especially on the fells. You wouldn't want to wear that doing paced runs though. Hiding drinks on route is the only choice really. Good work on the walking with Mrs TR. Important to keep the balance and that counts as active recovery too.

15 today with a faster club mate. We ran it progressive started at 8min/mile to end sub 6:30/mile. Ankle felt ok but it's still there sort of thing. 66 miles for the week. Stretching, rolling, calf raises, activations etc for the week ahead. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. that's a nice MLR with a brisk progression, yes I noticed a welcome breeze yesterday and today.  Re drinks, I tend to hide them on the day or day before as I'm not keen on carrying liquids.
    TR.. I was looking forward to a warm spell after all the rain we had but it can be energy sapping over longer distances.

My legs were pretty tired today so had an easy 5m around local fields & farmyards with some nice views.  58m for the week.

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Joolska - ignore me re p&d, I was running the wrong week :( I too should have done the 8 miles at MP. I'll do that next week now. 

Wardi - I'm not fond of the running vest with the soft flasks on board but in the fells it's almost essential, especially on warm days. On my long run loops I have a few convenience stores I can pop into for a bottle if needed. Nice weekly total again. Keeping the volume up. Painted an idyllic picture on that 5 miler. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Phew (for me at least!), SJ.

Today's 16 felt pretty hard work.  My hayfever has belatedly kicked in, and I had the blotches all over my left arm and leg to show for it (I was running on the left of the path, and often had to run brushing the grass/hedge because of all the other people out today).  I was also a bit wheezy by the end.  Heigh-ho.  At least the grass pollen season seems to be a lot shorter than the tree pollen season!  Anyway, 16 @ 8.03s done and dusted.  55 miles to tick off P&D week 2.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Good run there SJ, schoolboy error on the week miscount.

Wardi - was scorchio here again today, defo a shock after no spring of note to ease into it

Well done jools, shame re the hayfever. Another week ticked off.

I have one of those ultra vests i use for my commute runs. I just carry a bottle (or 2) during long runs in my hands, as i carry a bottle of luco nowadays on mara day. But yday i stashed my bottle and gel at the start/finish of the mp section.

Will have to wait and see, but if Goodwood day is going to be as hot as this weekend (unlikely), then i might have to swap to the 1/2.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Joolska - Steely, getting the 16m run.  Good weekly mileage too,
    Wardi - Racecourses, fields and farms, great places to run.  Another very healthy looking weekly mileage stat.
    TR - That was still a good 13m nonetheless though a few minutes off what you ideally would have wanted.  At this stage, with a 13m, I find times can vary +/- 3 minutes due to fatigue.
    TT - Great to see the regularity, diversity and consistency in your running return. 
    SJ - Those weekly mile numbers and the times for the 15m progression run look absolutely spot-on.  I am not a fan of the ultra vests either, they get too hot.
    Jooligan - Hope your resting-up well, looking forward to your SWT this weekend, looks like it will be thankfully a bit cooler than last. 

Enjoying (so far) the long overdue bench rest - no doubt it will do me good. I will cycle and swim to keep a reasonable level of fitness and earmarked mid July for running to return.  I will keep reading the forum so no slacking. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Thanks OO. Glad you're enjoying the bench.
    Not getting great sleep as I've a toothache which kicks in viciously around 1am for a couple of hours. Got some antibiotics Friday evening but they don't seem to have solved it yet.
    Did a final course recce in the heat of Saturday afternoon which came to 13.8M & over 2,500ft. Even hotter yesterday out on the bike for almost 3 hrs then just an easy 4M run. I'll be keeping it to 4 easy miles a day this week.
    Certainly hoping the forecast for cooler weather on Saturday is correct.
    Lots of strong & consistent running noted from Joolska, Wardi, TR, SJ & TT
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    sj/TR - cheers for the podcast tip; I'll have a listen.
    sj - yep to the Deek Quarters. It sounds like your ankle is coming along well. Nice 15m and nice week!
    Wardi - I'm my own worst enemy with finding stuff to do; I'm not very good at sitting still!
    TR - I'm actually following the Aussie 'complex' model. Logic being if I'm doing (relatively) the same stuff week in, week out, my body will know what's coming and it'll hopefully help manage the fibro. I'm building up slowly towards (my version of) the full schedule.
    Jools - I feel your pain. I've been on antihistamines for hayfever for ages already.
    OO - good approach to being benched!
    Jooligan - ouch on the toothache!