Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Nice MLR TR.
    Less reasonable temps and more hot and muggy down here today Wardi - 22 degrees!
    Joined back in on the 5k/10k schedule (from the pdf I previously posted) at week 11 (a down week) this week. Really just following it to give me some structure and variation around the Aussie style training and make sure I take those down weeks, but will slightly alter it once I have a chunk of training under my belt.
    A warm 12m as my 'long' run earlier.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry I've been AWOL: I got a bit down about my running after a bad run at the Cotswold Way Relay just over a week ago, and then this morning I sprained my ankle again, pretty badly, so I'll probably go AWOL again (in terms of posting - I have been lurking).  Glad to see running is going well for most.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Sorry to hear that jools, hope the ankle isnt serious.

Nice and sensible TT

Wardi - agreed, at least its been warm running in the rain.

9m inc 4m temp this morning so a quick turnaround. did the first 4m of my commute 6m tenp route, the first 2m was slow as expected due to the hills, the next 2m i expected to get some time back on the flat but it was into the wind, so the av pave was slow, but i tried hard, so we move on.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. fear not the temps are rising here after Monday's damp day.  I was out with the club tonight in circa 21 degrees.  Looks like a warm end to the week!
    TR.. good tempo effort considering your 14m last night.
    Jools.. very unlucky with the ankle injury.  Don't get too down on one race, you've been training well at decent paces so it could just be an off day.  

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    10.8m this morning, very warm & sweaty but enjoyed it somehow.  Fri-Sun look very warm so morning runs may be sensible.
    I'm running a few laps with a girl from our club who is attempting a 50k solo ultra on Friday.  3m per loop so hopefully she can stay hydated & carbed up.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your time off was pleasant TT. Also sounds like you are in a good place using the schedules as basis for structure. Good to have some motivation. 

Impressive turnaround TR from Mondays MLR to the tempo effort the following morning. Paces don't mean much at this stage anyway as you know. As long as the general trend is downwards it's all good 

Nicely done on the 10.8 Wardi. Good luck to your club mate in her ultra. Good to be helping out on those kind of events. Definitely out early doors for Sunday long run this week. 

Sorry to hear the relay didn't go well Jools. Super frustrating spraining the ankle again. Assuming it's the same one? You've been super consistent so a few easier days won't hurt you in terms of fitness. 

Ticking along at this end. 10+6 easy double on Monday. 6k tempo on grass with second half pick up in the middle of 11 at the club last night. Followed by 14.9 tonight. Pretty tired by the end of tonight's run. 

Feels like I'm at the edge of over doing it. My left lower leg (not sure it's restricted to the ankle area anymore) is sore when not running and aches enough whilst in bed to wake me occasionally. Have taken some anti inflams, rolling calves, stretching, icing, compression wrap etc. Loosens after 5 mins of running but isn't going away. 

Have ordered some structured trainers as running exclusively in neutral shoes probably isn't a good idea. I only switched to neutral shoes last autumn. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Happy to say I am running again.  I was due to restart yesterday but had a few empty hours on Sunday so went for a 9m run in the rain in the grounds of an amazing old country estate in Swindon.  A few more slow runs Mon-Weds which were hard work, and couldn't help myself today when thought what is in the tank, so did a 6m progressive starting off with 7.08 and finishing off with 2*6.12 mm which were reasonably challenging. Finished soaking wet with the warmth.   Most of the niggles see to have gone, but the left foot is still not 100%,  but decided to start training so have a chance of a decent run in London or Madrid. 

Whilst running, I thought would like to be in the place where SJ is, in terms of a good sustained improving block of training and where TT is, enjoying his running without a forthcoming marathon.  But then just read your post SJ, sounds like you've smartly anticipated a possible injury. 

Good solid training as always TR & Wardi and sorry to hear about your ankle Jools and as Wardi says don't stress on one race outcome. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    SJ: it won't be a few easy days, it'll be several weeks of no running and then a gradual return. It's still sore, swollen and the range of movement is limited 2.5 days afterwards, which indicates a grade 2 sprain. The bruising is extending up my leg, too, which is another contraindication to a quick recovery.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Wardi - warm and sweaty is good training weather, sets us up for a cool oct morning nicely.

SJ - seems like you're creaking a bit, but in the approx 1/2 a week between sunday am and weds pm you did what you were doing in a week recently. Keep away from the cliff edge and keep listening to the body.

OO - good to see you back to it, hopefully you can get a decent block in now.

Jools - hope ots not as bad as you fear and that you heal quuck, youd set yourself up so well through the winter and spring.

8m yday morning, 10m home tonight. Brighyon 10k never happened, last few weeks have been far too hectic.

My eldest and his gf have tested positive for CV, its rife again round here esp in the youngsters. Avoiding isolating again is going to be difficult, esp as spo has a family wedding next weekend.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good training & best of luck dodging the covid bullets TR.  We had a case here where a stag party called into a local sports bar to watch the football - about 8 tested positive.  Lots of isolating going on!
    OO.. great to see you are back running, sounds like a decent start.
    Jools.. so sorry that it's such a serious sprain, you don't seem to have much luck with your ankles!  Wishing you a steady recovery.
    SJ.. you have been getting some big miles in lately so it's probably a protest from your lower limbs!  I would try a drop down week to reduce the strain.
    13.3m with the ultra girl this morning.  She was at 30m when my clubmate took over chaperoning duties at lunchtime.  She deserves a medal & more if she reaches the desired 62m in this heat.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going by yr club mate wardi, well done on keeping her company......the big pub near me has had so many cases its now closed.

10m in this morning, very sore quads, hopefully just from s and c tues pm. Few frothies later then a long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    5.5m, 10m ~mp, 4.5m. Hilly run out and back but the 10m is mainly flat. Didnt set off until 10 so copped a bit of a heat beating (around 27 or 28 here this afternoon), and my quads were still a bit sore, but with a "one mile more approach" from about 4m i got the 10 done. Tailed off a bit in last couple of miles to end up with 6.41 av, which is a smidge slower than last time out, but good prep for an oct morning in london. Hilly 4.5m home was awful, and felt a bit ropey for a couple of hours, probably from the combination of the effort and heat. A few cold frothies later wont touch the sides.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Some effort in that heat TR, well done, careful the beer doesn't turn to steam. 
    Wardi - Saw your FB post, hats off to your ultra girl, what a run.
    Beautifully warm out there today. 4m early doors and 4m more @9 pm when much cooler. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. yes 60+m in that heat was true grit, my post above said 50k and should have said 100K!  Her knee was creaking late on so she had to walk a lot of the last 5m or so.  She's celebrating with gin & champagne today & I don't blame her. :p
    Nice double today BTW.
    TR.. that's a great MP effort in the midst of a long run in the heat.  I do think we runners need regular sips of water when it's as hot as this.  Has London ever had a heatwave in October?  I guess there's always a first time. :o
    5m steady today, will try a longer run tomorrow.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    15.2m done this morning, chose the generously shaded York-Selby bike route in view of the high temps today, 7.6m out & back.  Didn't quite have enough water so wobbled a bit in the last couple of miles.  29 degrees when I finished.
    Hope the beers went down well TR, I'm tempted by a few tonight with a curry.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - nice one, i wouldn't be running at 9pm on a saturday, so fair play.

Wardi - well played, it was scorchio today. I had a bottle of luco and water yday, stashed them in the hedgerow for the 10m effort though.

Went walking with the spo this morning, wasnt going to run in the midday heat again, so stuck with the Sunday turbo, but that was still a warm one.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    That doesn't sound good Joolska. Fingers crossed your prognosis isn't as bad as you think. 

Good to see you back at it OO

Nicely done Wardi on the long run and shade route planning. Definitely a wise decision. I bet those beers are going down nicely. 

Cracking long run again yesterday TR. You have picked up where you left off after the disappointing half. I imagine the frothies were most enjoyable. Also I bet there were some decent puddles from the turbo today. 

Jogged thurs, 13 miles Friday, rest day yesterday (first one since mid May) then 20 today. I had to stop with 10k remaining to buy more fluid as I had drunk my 500ml I took with me. 

From thurs onwards I've used a new pair of Saucony Guides which are the structured variant of their range. It hasn't magically improved things, not that I thought it would. I'm going to have a rethink of the plan and probably add in a fortnightly rest day at least. I'm not sure I can cope without a bit of break. 

Achilles/ankle sore tonight, so will nurse it through next week. 75 miles this week is right up there with the max I can fit in. I had an easier week last week so not sure if I'm overdoing it but will take a few km off each run next week to see if things settle. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good going on the 20 it was scorchio today. Sounds like a sensible plan, back it off slightly for a week or two and see if your body carches up. Are you still on your tready for some of your miles? Just wondered what other possible changes might have happened.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Haven't run indoors for a few months now TR. I think it's most likely the speed sessions and miles adding up. Also, no rest days is a new thing. In the past I've taken Monday as a reat day after the long run. 

Probably a case of trying to up the ante a little in chasing an improvement. Repeating the same training back to back has seen the best improvements I've known so should have continued along that path. Getting a little fed up of p&d if I'm honest 4 or 5 cycles in, obviously a gap last year as no races for me. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - dropping your rest day, more outdoors and no tready (you were doing a fair bit of tready - less impact), more miles, longer runs.........if you are getting fed up then switch it up. Your 3 key runs a week are long run, mlr and some sort of tempo or session, you get that from yr Tuesday, the rest can be whatever you fancy within reason. Having said that marathon training can be a chore and interferes with life at times, esp in the summer. Whilst vlm training is cold and dark it has less to clash with in Jan and Feb.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Still pretty scorchio at commute run time so i did 10 instead of mlr.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good run TR, proper stifling up here.  I ran through as much shade as possible this morning but the overgrown sections of a nearby wood ensured a few stings and scratches.  5.4m done before it got too hot.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    All good thoughts TR and you make a lot of sense re differences in training from 6 months ago. I will do one easy run indoors this week to ease the load. You can certainly pack the miles in with great consistency. Another solid commute in the heat. 

It was actually quite pleasant when I went out this evening at 7:30pm Wardi. A gentle breeze along the tow path kept the temps down. You did well to find the shade on your run. 

Creaked along for 5 miles along the aforementioned tow path tonight. I noted afterwards that the obligatory first km was a slight hobble job with the odd Ooo and arrr. Got going eventually. 
  • Options
    Hi all,

Long time no speak.

Long story short, the achilles issue has been a real bugger to get rid of. With no signs it was coming, I thought I'd get back to running pretty quickly but it's taken 10 weeks or so of stretching and a slow return to running (a few miles at a time) to feel somewhat like a runner again. I'm up to running around 20 miles a week at the moment with some cycling mixed in as well. Great North Run is going ahead in 8 weeks time so I have some focus. I don't expect to do very well (I can run a few miles at sub 7 and around 6 miles at more comfortable paces atm) but hopefully the fitness will return reasonably quickly. I have the Liverpool marathon in October which I'll probably just let slide as I am best-manning a wedding a couple of days before in Cambridge making it a logistical challenge as much as anything. But if I can build fitness and miles I may look to a marathon at the end of 2021 or early 2022.  

Jools - nice report on the SWT. Really enjoy the long distance reports as there's always some drama. But what a cracking effort and completion was never really in doubt surely given your training? Nice effort in the tri as well. Looked like fun conditions!
    SJ - Great to see you back and running well. Hope it continues and you can record a good time.
    TR - Consistent as ever and hopefully lining yourself up for a good Autumn effort.
    Joolska - best of luck with the recovery. Hope you are back fighting fit soon.
    Wardi -  I see your weather dodging skills remain strong and you can find some sustained shade.
    OO - Good luck with the training. Hope the niggle clears soon. Seems you aren't in the worst shape to start.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Blimey Joe that must have taken a lot of patience & restraint.  Good to see you can build up a few miles now, best of luck for the rest of your recovery.
    SJ.. at my age it often takes 2 miles for my legs to wake up, I fear for my Parkrun return!
    Very hot again here today so I opted for a longish bike ride.  37m done, even that was a sweaty affair.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    SJ - my body groans a lot at times which makes me plod a bit too often, but ideally its worth trying to vary shoes, paces, sessions etc i think its good for the body.

Joe - ive wondered about you a couple of times, good that you are moving again, you were in good shape so hopefully it'll come back quickly.

Wardi - nice one, top day for biking.

As i did mp sarurday, i wasnt sure a hard tempo or LT would be wise in this mornings commute), so i did 4 easy and then 6m at a slower tempo pace (aimed for ~7mm, achieved just a smidge over).
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jools - sorry to hear about your ankle. How is it now?
    TR - great training, as always.
    Wardi - likewise.
    sj - take it easy. I have a rest day every week now. I could do 7 days a week, but just because I could doesn't mean I should. Particularly with the fibro. Sometimes my rest day will be a jog with the wife and dog (3m), but usually just dog walking (particularly as my wife is looking like needing a hamstring injection again). As you say, what you were doing before worked for you, though I can get the boredom of repeating the same schedules over and over again; if you weren't doing group training I'd suggest the Aussie stuff might be fun for you.
    joe - good to see you back running again. Good luck for rebuilding.

Slight hitch last week as my back locked out, but still got 37m in. Being sensible this week with the heat, but am itching to starting building up more.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    The swelling is much improved so now I can focus on getting a decent range of motion back, and being able to do single leg calf raises again. Back to the bosu ball!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Good progress Jools, though I had to look up bosu ball!
    TT.. oof bad news with the back problem but hope it's cleared now.  Is it a cortisone injection Mrs TT needs?
    TR.. good tempo work in the heat.

There was a thin layer of cloud this morning which kept the temps down and provided a pleasant cool breeze.  Took advantage to get 10.2m done.  The hot sun did break through in the afternoon.

Good to see a 10m race happening just up the road from me last night (vale of York 10).  Over 630 finishers, the first two were sub 52 minutes which is impressive on a hot night.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope yr back eases soon TT

Good news jools, hopefully you can get it moving a bit now.

Wardi- nice, was still scorchio running home tonight.

14m run home, felt a bit grim afterwards.