Options

IM 2007 training thread

Comments

• Options
    mmmmm... interesting TOTP
  • Options
    finished the housework and allowed an hour on the computer then?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Personal preference I suppose - I prefer to do even quite hard intervals on the road on the grounds I race on the road but I can see advantages both ways. Over Winter though you wouldn't do a lot of that kind of session would you - even zone 3?

Carl - quite tempting but I've signed up for the Phil and Friends challenge ride from Sheffield for the day after, might be pushing my luck trying to get out for the whole weekend.

On the Friel book - I haven't read the tri one but assuming it's like the cycling one you do have to devote a couple of evenings to it otherwise it looks impossibly complicated - it's more a book you work through to formulate a training plan than something you can dip into.
  • Options
    Pops .. it even says in the intro that its a book that needs reading more than once

I use it more as a reference really but an interesting read
  • Options
    Good point pops, I think if you are predominantly a cyclist then it's best just to cycle on the road as it's the closest you will get to racing.
    With triathletes they are trying to juggle so many different things it often easier to bung a turbo session in than get kitted out for a road ride with the time spent getting ready taken out of the equation.
    I think its a bit like boxing, you can shadowbox and do bagwork to learn how to punch and get pretty good, but until you spar you will never reach your potential
  • Options
    I start marathon training tomorrow. I think I'll be bored doing the same thing every day!
  • Options
    Freil is worse at explaining things than I am. If you are prepared to invest time in working through a book then get 'endurance athletes edge' by marc evans, it's heavy going but will tell you absolutely everything you need to know from what types of session at what times in the year to how fast your swim/bike/run reps should be for what ever distances and whatever level/speed you are.
    Absolutely no guesswork is required it lays it all out for you. But it is heavy going.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    But smiffy Marc Evans book says you have to use last year's training to work out this years, which is fine for next year, but wasn't last year.

If you get my drift.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Pops, all depends, certainly this winter I think I'll be doing my fair share of z3 work on the turbo mid week.. that said, I'll be going a local club for the weekend rides for all but the cackest weather..
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    I noticed some stuff about mentoring on here - I'm willing to abuse people on demand. I'm not exactly a role model, but I know what works and what doesn't - for me at least.
  • Options
    As for turbos - living in Central London makes it essential for me as otherwise I've also got the faff of trying to get to a decent road as well as everything else and in working weekdays in the winter it just wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    Agree DT's cycle through the Quays Deptford , Greenwich , Blackheath Lewisham Catford Bromley ah the open road ooer Ive done an hour and travelled 14 miles in crap traff. No thanks . Or watch Gladiator for the millionth time and burn baby burn on the turbo hahahahahha...Then go for a run down the Thames in your pirate skin hahahahaha Losin it
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    One advantage of living in the provinces I suppose - I live just off the A6 and can hammer up and down that or I'm about 5 miles outside the start of the southern hills of the Peak.
  • Options
    Okay - bit of advice please - I've had a look at several books, admittedly briefly, but I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming and in some cases seemingly contradictary.

Basically - I'm assuming I need to do some basic base training for quite a while. How do I work out the level in terms of heart rate to do this at (or below)?

Thanks muchly :o)
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1405021020/026-9738703-8638067?v=glance&n=266239&s=gateway&v=glance

Thats the book Cartman, might be a bit basic for you but its great for novices and numpties.

I like the Marc Evans book a lot but it's very complicated.
  • Options
    XFR - look at the ironman training tips bit on Gordoworld. he gives you a good yardstick for 'dialling into' your ideal base training work rate.
  • Options
    XFR - Use this time to work on core strength, flexibility and shoulder muscles. All other traing don't worry too much - it's teh off season. Ride in the country, run around the park.

The HR zones will vary for everyone and many authors have different levels. Use 150 bpm as a guesstimate for you as a max if you must.

Would anyone be interested in a winter evening (pref Wednesday) i-magic league?
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Going Long by Gordo Byrn abd Joe Friel is the book that seems most popular. I have it and it explains how to test and find levels, but what he basically tells the novice is just build aerobic fitness through steady consistant training.
  • Options
    if you buy me the i-magic I'm well up for it and Wednesday is turbo day for me anyway ;o)
  • Options
    Ah okay - that Gordoworld site is very helpful :o)

The AeT level rings bells, I've noticed there's a point where I breathe deeper. I'm still unclear though as to whether I should be training just below this or just above this (seems to depend on whether I need to do "easy" pace or "steady" pace).

Gumps - I'm going to work on that stuff too :o)
  • Options
    Morning all. I shouldn't really be here since I'm not doing an IM in 2007 ;-) but...
    I did my first proper athletic session since IMDE yesterday, the Salford Oly tri. Managed to hobble round in 2:30 which included a 51 min 10K run split! (ha ha haa). I definitely got the sympathy vote from the crowd with my comedy limp running action.

Marathon schedule starts today for chicago. I'm following the P&D 12-week multiple marathon schedule. Today... Rest or cross-training. I should just be able to manage that.
  • Options
    This week just gone i have done a lot of sleeping and a lot of sitting around twiddling my thumbs. Went out yesterday on the bike for a planned three hour ride, but had to come home after an hour because my legs just died. There is obviously a very big difference between feeling fine and being recovered. I am going to be attempting a 7 mile run today, but not sure how that is going to go! I have just under 4 weeks now till IM Canada so i hope my body fixes itself soon!!!!
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    XRF, Gordo explains that endurance rides can start in zone 1 and end up in zone 2, however a trained athlete may do all ride in zone 1. During base period do a portion of your endurance training at an easy pace (zone 1)
  • Options
    i think gordo's views have developed a bit since that book fogggy.... plus he was obviously influenced by co-writer friel. the question is, of course: which work best?
  • Options
    What would deep purple do.
  • Options
    Personally found the Be iron fit book best in terms of training hours (way lower than Friel says) I could only manage an avg of 8-9 hrs a week peaking at 12 (Bala and Trent race weeks)

All boils down to you need sth that works for you....
  • Options
    lots of drugs?
  • Options
    okay - think I'll go for some of each - I find I can "drift" into zone 2 after a bit anyway or on a hill. Been doing that for running but need to get the cyclign going again :o)