Options

Dogs.......

I meant to bring it to work today but there is a letter from a dog owner saying that runners should (a) warn her when they're approaching her and her dog so neither of them is startled (b) slow down so the dog doesn't chase them.

If the writer of this letter is on these forums, I hope a runner kicks you next time your dog goes for someone.

I'm really peed off with having my runs ruined by stupid owners who can't control their pets - I have had 3 dogs go for me in the last couple of months.

And please don't say "he never usually does this" or "it's because you're running" - there are plenty of dogs who only want a fuss etc but the owners keep them on a lead or grab them when someone comes near!

By the way, I really like dogs. I don't like irresponsible owners.

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    here we go again...
  • Options
    why is everything so bi-polar nowadays?

can't some judgement be excercised anymore?
  • Options
    Hail Hail

KIck the dog, not the owner Elsombrero. You might end up on an assault charge.
  • Options
    I must be lucky - I only every get nice lil doggies that just want to say hello. Not really a problem to me apart from I sometimes get muddy paw prints on my legs ?
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Is that not just your animal magnetism Cougs?
  • Options
    Jj....sorry if this has been talked about before. I don't go on here everyday so have probably missed it - I don't have time to check every thread.

Running bhoy....I certainly wouldn't kick an owner and definately wouldn't kick the dog.

Cougie....I get a few nice dogs on my route, sometimes I stop to say hello if it's one I recognise and I recognise the owner.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Elsombrero - my comment was a general one and I didn't mean it to sound grumpy. I'm glad to hear you have a life off the forums.

;o)
  • Options
    E. I would slow down if I wasn't sure how a dog would react, easier all round and sometimes you have to take some responsibility. 99.9 percent of dogs are okay, most ignore you, some say hello and once in a while you get a dog where you need to ask the owner to control. I would never kick a dog unless I needed to defend myself from being bitten.

I wonder if cyclists ever have problems with dogs?:))))
  • Options
    Happycat...I do slow down if I think a dog may go for me, in fact I stop if it starts to go for me and just ask the owner (nicely to start with) to get hold of it.

My opinion is, unless you are sure that your dog won't go for people, it should be on a lead.

The last time I had a dog day was last week - a dog went mental, there were 3 of us on a club run and we started at the back so it's not like the owner didn't know there were runners about. We had to stand around for a few minutes while the stupid woman tried to get hold of it. Then she told us that it had gone for us because we were running. I just ignored her, she was too daft to speak to.
  • Options
    When out running..........

I meet nice people
    I meet nasty people
    I meet nice cyclists
    I meet nasty cyclists
    I meet nice chavs
    I meet nasty chavs
    I meet nice dogs and their owners
    I meet nasty dogs and their owners

Life is just like that
  • Options
    Well said NT

(Waits drumming fingers on desk for Muttley to post his link to the Dangerous Dogs Act)
  • Options
    "We are the Hoose - resistance is futile"
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [adds to claps on NT's back]
  • Options
    'tis all true. But we can have a good grumble about it can't we?

<wanders off muttering "bloody dogs, bloody chavs.........">
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Well, since you asked FR:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1991/Ukpga_19910065_en_1.htm

I agree with a dog owner asking for advance notice of a runner approaching from behind - seems common sensical and courteous to me. But if the dog might chase a runner, it should be on a lead.
  • Options
    advance notice of a runner approaching from behind

"MOVE THAT BLOODY DOG OUT OF THE WAY YOU SILLY COW/GIT!"
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I've had a similar experience to you in a park, ElS. Big black thing came charging and snarling at me from behind a bush and scared the living daylights out of me. "Oh don't worry," its owner, a middle-aged woman with a plum in her mouth, said. "He just doesn't like runners."

So that's alright then.

Thankfully, although I use a park every day, the worst I get from nearly all the dogs is a curious sniff or a tail-whipping.
  • Options
    Hmmm perhaps not ;-)
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem with a dog, they usually just want to run with me.

I do sometimes see a older man, probably in his sixties, who has an alsatian on a chain. The dog barks and snarls, and strains at the chain, trying to get at us. One day the owner is not going to be able to hold on, and someone is going to get hurt.
  • Options
    I've only ever seen nice dogs that just wanted to run with me, rather than stay with their owners! Just lucky then?
  • Options
    If people can't control their dogs they shouldn't have them. If you slowed down or stopped every time you came across someone walking a dog you'd take twice as long to get any runs done. I've had dogs jump over a garden fence and bite my ankles with the owner with them and they said nothing. The most infuriating thing is when they say "it's okay they won't go near you" just before they snap at your ankles and then they say "oh, they don't usually do that!".
    And then you've got all the dog dirt that you have to avoid because none of these people will pick it up, but that's another major gripe of mine.
  • Options
    I think its polite if you are going to run close past someone - dog or not to warn them. I run on some soft forrest paths and occassionaly give quite a fright as I fly past in my fluoro top. I've had a little lady with dog get such a fright, she jumped to the side, tripped over dog and took a tumble.

The other skill is hurdling the 10m self retracting lead from the dog!
  • Options
    I slow down when I see owners and their dogs in the park. Still didn't stop me from being bitten on the ass. Two big dogs went for me a few weeks ago in my local park, one circled and the other grabbed a hold of my butt cheek in its jaws. I was terrified and have not been back to the park since. When the owner finally caught up to her dogs I got the "they're really harmless" line. I was too shaken at the time to say anything and just wanted to get away from her and her animals.

I like dogs, but if you know your dog is likely to go for runners or anyone else for that matter, they should be on a lead. Isn't there a law about this?

That's my rant for today.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I usually slow down and make a lot of noise when approaching dogs.
    Majority are usually docile, but have had 4-5 'run-ins' with owners.
    Couple of weeks ago one bounded up and just 'padded' the back of my legs, no big deal, the owner spouting the usual 'he's harmless' stuff.
    They didn't have an answer when I said I occasionally jog through that part of the woods with my 8yo and 4yo, how do you explain to a 3ft nothing 4yo that the 3ft dog is harmless?

• Options
    A couple of months ago i was out with my dog, he loves balls, footballs, tennis balls, rugby balls any kind, i think its some kind of a fetish(possibly because he doesnt have any of his own! All he ever wants to do is play with them (balls).

There was a dad and his son playing footie and jack (my dog) wandered over to play football with them (honest!). Jack's very good with his paws and he started to kick the ball etc and just play with the child (who was enjoying it - laughing and smiling etc). With that the dad pushed jack out the way grabbed the ball and then continued to push jack around. Jack didnt really understand what was happening and thought the man was playing so he continued to try and play with the football.

I quickly ran over as i realised that the situation may get out of control. As i arrived i was first told that my dog was dangerous and that he (the man) about kick and punch Jack! I took Jack away back to my girlfriend and went back to the guy. i returned and told him that i thouhgt he was being unreasonable - to which i was told to F@£k off etc etc. His boy who was now quite upset (more i believe at his fathers response)was crying.

My point is, is that we sometimes come across dogs who are nasty and people who are nasty!

Some dog owners are good.

Some car drivers are sound.

But then you will always get those who arent!

Its just all part of life.