Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for asking.
    The cold is still there, panic attacks less frequent after mail from Dr Evil (Coleman) so it looks like back to work tomorrow :o(
  • Options
    Dr Evil? Do you mean your going to be ok for the MoB?

I bet your ladies have been missing you never mind your poor abandoned TP.

Gald to hear your on the mend now. So you still doing it then?

What did Dr Evil say?
  • Options
    Muzzy - you been poorly? Are you heading for double or quit?

LM - I think you might spot me - I'll have number 21 drawn on my leg!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Ok no 21 it is !

I'll keep a look out for you.

(sorry, I read back and realised after I'd posted you have previously been making a list - it's a blond thing !)

• Options
    Hi LMH

Been unwell since Friday with a heavy cold, stress and panic attacks about MoB/work/life as we know it. You know, everyday normal runing probs.

Will make up my mind about D or Q on Saturday.

LM. After Rorys mail last night I realised that it was probably just me stressing about the run that made me ill in the first place. Last time I felt like that was when I moved house (into my own home).

If I can get Doc to sign medical forms and then pass ECG test then I shall be on the start line a week on Sunday ready to run. If not, then I shall be on the start line as crew (tripping up the gits that started). LOL.

*Dr Evil is the name given to Rory Coleman at last years MoB for sending the runners up hills, through nettles and across fields with chasing cows in them.
  • Options
    Muzzy I know exactly what your talking about. It's possible to suffer from stress without knowing you are stressed (are you following me?)and the symptoms can vary from person to person so your probably right. Your cold could well be a result of your stressing.

What ever it is that's bothering you, it's really not worth letting it make you poorly. It's like my gran used to say - Enjoy it as there's no dress rehersal :0)

Right enough of that... I'm off to get some nosh and walk the pooch catch you tomorrow.

Hope you feel better Muz.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Muzzy but try to remember - it is supposed to be fun:-) Would you be up for another social soon?

LM - I'm blond too so understand perfectly:-) Also have dog walking duties later.
  • Options
    Ooh, "chasing cows" - a phrase to strike fear into the heart of every runner! Get well soon Muzzy.

Someone from my club asked the very valid question "does anyone actually have an address for this thing?" I couldn't actually see any mention other than "pool in Matlock", near Somerfield, in the race notes. I assume it's this?
  • Options
    That would be the one quimby, though I thought it was on Edgefold Road. Been a long time since I have been near there.

Off to see bank manager.
  • Options
    That sounds worse than being ill Muzzy. Good luck.
  • Options
    Quimby - glad they covered it over - I hate swallowing the flies! 33m will explain the 12 lengths:-)
  • Options
    Just looked at a few weather predictions.

Best - cloudy and 5mph winds
    Worst - showers and 15 mph winds.

My race predictions;
    Swim - was 8 mins will settle for 9:30. Cycle - was 30 mins (did a 10 mile TT 4 weeks ago in 27.36) after looking at the course and riding it in 40 I'd say 35:00 now.
    Run - was 21 mins I'll stick with that because I don't know how hilly it is.

Overall (inc. transition) was 59:59 now 67:00, but I'll settle for sub 70:00.

My transition plan is as follows;

Bike racked - shoes on floor - helmet on tri bars, race top on helmet, glasses on race top.

Exit pool leave googles in the goggle box (need to find some goggles I won't mind losing) - Glasses on, shoes on (no socks), top on, helmet on, grab bike and away we go.

Simple as that?
  • Options
    I hope so Marshallini. But do you want your glasses on top of your top?

By the way - does anyone have any tips on how to mark your goggles (don't really want to lose mine - and shame on you Marshallini, what a waste of money:-)
  • Options
    I was planning on printing a label on the label maker at work and wrapping it around the strap at the back. If I stick the sticky bit of the label to itself, it shouldn't matter if it doesn't stick to the rubber strap itself.

If you don't have a label maker to hand, I reckon a bit of paper & some sellotape would suffice.
  • Options
    Nail Varnish on the strap works a treat ;0)
  • Options
    But what if we all choose the same shade? It would be like turning up in the same dress to a night out!
  • Options
    Good point. Why Not marker Pen your RW name on the inside (as initials nay be the same as someone elses) of the band?
  • Options
    Lol LMH

Since I discovered seal masks I wont swim in anythng else and I don't want to lose one of them, I have got loads of old googles that should survive 12 lengths if I can only find them.

Just been up in the loft and found 2 pair of hand paddles, a pair of swim fins, a pull bouy, a float, 5 pairs of goggles and a 2 swim caps.

• Options
    You'll be easy to spot in all that gear, then, marshallini. Not entirely sure whether all that is race-legal, though. ;-)
  • Options
    Picked my goggles (blue adidas) but unfortunately I'm completely out of nail varnish, so I've tried a bit of white cotton to the strap.

I'd allow people to use swim fins in the pool but you would have to keep them on for the race.
  • Options
    So Marshallini at some point you had a slightly different attitude to gear? :-)
  • Options
    LMH - Not really, I don't think I've paid full price for any tri kit, except a few replacement parts for my bike.

I've also found my old race shoes and my tri suit another pair of tri shorts and a tri top. The tri suit will never see the light of day again, but the other items might make a come back on Monday as they are all better than what I had planned.
  • Options
    If you want goggles for just one event go to your local pool after their swim team have been training. They always leave the things behind.
    LOL

So far this year I have handed in numerous amounts of goggles (just drop them into a box now), a solid silver bracelet, a decent silver cased watch, a gold necklace, and vast amounts of money (one of them left £30 in a locker one morning).

I could go as a power seller on ebay with all that stuff.
  • Options
    Have bitten the bullet and am emailing Karl my entry form now.

Not sure what to put on the swim time though, as an average breaststroke swimmer does anyone have an estimate of time as I don't want to get it v.wrong and annoy the other swimmers!

I thought maybe 14 mins but really have no idea!
  • Options
    I wouldn't have thought you'd take any more than 12 mins, personally, but it's been a long time since I've timed myself at any distance at breast stroke.
  • Options
    Bexmanc - I take 11 mins doing front crawl if that's any help?

Yesterday I learnt to keep my head under the water whilst swimming and breath bilaterally every three breaths rather than every stroke on the left! May be a bit late for Monday though I shall attempt a time trial tomorrow and see if it's quicker to do it 'properly' or the way I'm used to.
  • Options
    Bexmanc - I took 12mins 30secs doing breaststroke for 400m last week when I swam for the first time in ages. Attempting another time trial tonight, and am going to try crawl, keeping my head on one side, as I couldn't manage when I tried the way LMH has just described.

Looking forward to doing this, and maybe meeting as many of you all as I can.
  • Options
    I can't breathe to the left very well at all, so although I know I should practice both sides, I tend to stick to the right. Of course, since we're going clockwise in the lanes, this will probably guarantee me inhaling water as I pass whoever's going the other way in the lane!
  • Options
    Until last night I breathed to the left naturally but could breath to the right if I wanted to look that way however last night I was given a float to hold with both arms in front of me, using the legs only, head under water and breathing each side, suddenly it was easy - I think it was one less thing to think about with not doing the arm stroke and not worrying about drowning. I did have a couple of coughs and splutters on the way mind:-)
  • Options
    Just to let you know, I had an e-mail from Karl yesterday morning and he said so far he had received 125 entries so it looks like this year will be a good turn out. Good luck !