Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Not sure if anyone knows about this one but I came across it while looking on the Matlock AC website for something else ... looks good for novices and those wanting a low-key event, and all for a worthy cause. There will be hills though!

http://www.matlockac.org.uk/marstri.htm

Matlock AC organise some fab fell races, so I'm sure this one will be an equally good event.

Sadly (?) I'll be in the Italian Alps at the time so shan't be taking part. Nice to see a tri that doesn't cost £zillions to take part in though

Comments

• Options
    "given your bike to an official who will place it down safely for you"

Oh posh!

Where is Matlock?
  • Options
    Ta Taffia

Matlock is in the middle of the Peak District and on the A6, about 20 miles or so north of Derby - or reached from junction 26 of the M1. Nice place, a bit touristy, but that's the Peak District for you.
  • Options
    Bit far for a brick session!

Sounds great for beginners.

Wish I had someone to hand my bike to on my 1st tri.
  • Options
    Thanks LizzyB.

That's got to be the best value tri in the country.

I've just started my tri come back this is an ideal foray back into racing for me and not too far away.
  • Options
    I fancied doing stanage on the way home, did it a couple of years ago it was great, but from what info I can find it's September 24th, 11.00am.
  • Options
    Wow, this tri is only 2 weeks away, a bit nearer than I thought.

I'm really not ready, I'll have to sort some race kit out sharpish.
  • Options
    £6 ????????

amazing value for money - it's almost worth the fuel to drive up for that but I will be en France........
  • Options
    Last year's winner did 53 minutes for 400m/10 miles/3 miles ...not bad!

I don't do tris any more but I'd be tempted to do this if I wasn't on holiday!
  • Options
    I'm panicing now.

What have I done?

I've done one week of tri training in 2 years and I'm trying to recover from that now. I'm resting next week because I'm Racing the Train, so I've got 1 week to get sorted.

and I've got no race kit (would be nice to go as a Pirate, but looking at the order thread the order doesn't go in till November)
  • Options
    marshallini

You'll be fine

You can swim
    You can ride a bike
    You can run

Whats the problem?

Don't worry about kit - It's a pool swim and you can always pull on bike shorts over your swim trunks and then run in your bike shorts - put a t-shirt or bike shirt on for the ride and run if it's chilly.

just use your resting week to give your bike a quick service and that's one one less thing to worry about.

I did a Matlock AC race last night (just a fell race though) and the Matlock AC crew are lovely smiley and friendly people. Just relax, enjoy it, and tell us all about it afterwards.

Oh, and if you're hungry after the race, Matlock Bath has some excellent chip shops.
  • Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chips.

I've got a bike, nothing fancy,I did my first ever road TT a couple of weeks back on it and was ok.

I just put some elastic laces in my race shoes, so that's a start.
  • Options
    Mmmmm. I do want to do a tri but have no kit and an MtB, the results from last year look a little fast - or am I miscalculating? I can swim 400m in about 12 minutes (could wear sportsjock bra and bikini bottoms), have cycled 11 miles in just under an hour (put on cycling shirt with number attached over bra but cycling shorts or normal lycra? Can you run in padded cycling shorts?) then out for the run - probably 30 minutes worth at least after the rest of that. Was trying to gather the courage to enter the Southwell Last Chance Sprint but this looks more low key - I'm guessing it would be even hillier though? Help!?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    LMH - you'll be fine. Last year's 'lanterne rouge' finished in 1hr 53. Judging by what you've said above ....

Swim: 12
    Transition (say) 3
    Bike 50 mins
    Transition (say) 3
    Run: 30
    = 98 minutes, or 1:38. so nowhere near last (and you'll probabaly find you go quicker on the day anyway)

Yes, you can run in padded shorts. It wouldn't be comfortable for 10 miles, but over 3 would be fine. Personally, I'd rather run in padded shorts than cycle without padding!

And don't worry about the hills. In Southwell they are shallow and go on for ages, in Matlock they are short and steep. So are over and done with more quickly. (says she without knowing either course, but I cycle in both areas)
  • Options
    LMH
    They sound fine times. You might go a bit faster in a race.

I did on my 1st tri. may have been the silly amouts of red bull in my system!
  • Options
    LMH - Go for it, there has always got to be a first time, there is no real pressure and once it's done you know what to expect for next time.

That's what I'm doing, although I've done them before,it's been a while.

I did my first road time trial a few weeks ago and loved it, but put it off doing it for years.

I've run in my padded cycle shorts with no discomfort, longest was about 10 mile.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Now just have to get hubby past the 0700hrs start time on a Bank Holiday:-)

Lizzy - isn't the bike bit 12 miles? In which case I'd likely be well over the hour on that bit and I'm sure I'd have to faff absolutely loads in the transitions. Talking of which - top transition tips for beginners?
  • Options
    TOP TIP?
    Be like a boy scout and
    Be prepared.

Set everything out in an order you know, so if your in a swim cozzie. T-shirt to right slip over head, shorts to left slip on. shoes in front put on. BIKE LID ON then grab bike and go.
  • Options
    ...and fall over
  • Options
    Using Autoroute I've measured the bike course using the description on the Matlock AC website and it is as they say 10 miles, I'm going to drive over tommorrow after my morning run to ride the bike course.

The run sounds and looks like it may be quite hilly as well.

• Options
    Marshallini - 'fun' and 'hills' aren't anywhere near each other in my dictionary - and certainly not since I naffed my knee:-) Be interesting to see what you think of the course.

Tri Taffia - thanks. Do you have your own little space to lay your gear out in near your bike then?
  • Options
    ... only other transition tip is to have a towel to stand on and a couple of labelled drinks bottles so that you can take a swig in transition.

Also, have lock laces in your running shoes so you don't have to faff around with laces.

LMH - If you have slick tyres on your MTB and pump your tyres up as hard as the tyres say you can (buy a track pump for this - £20), you will be surprised how fast you can go! Also, the tri says its aim is to encourage novices so I don't think it will matter if you are slower, you will still get a huge cheer at the end!
  • Options
    Very knobbly tyres. Husband does the pumping up (as it were). Have seen lock laces, I think DR sell them, guess I could run to £5 or so of new kit to try a tri.
  • Options
    I'd go for this one if I were you LMH, Southwell Last Minute is very hard to get into unless you did the earlier Southwell Tri.

Last minute always gave priority to previous event triathletes and always fills up.

I might even give this one a go myself if I don't go to Grimesthorpe with the running club.
  • Options
    Marshallini, ride or drive the course?

I was thinking of going over tomorrow to check out how hilly the course is.
  • Options
    I talked with the organiser of this one and he says it's novice friendly.

There are lumpy bits though and caution is advised for novices on some of the descents.
  • Options
    When will you decide Muzzy? Are you still doing MoB?

Thanks Stump, perhaps I should find somewhere to get my brakes checked.....I like going downhill mind - both running and biking, much better than the up bits!