Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Comments

• Options
    They do start people according to their swim time, but no idea about order, sorry. Only done 1 pool swim tri.
  • Options
    I was wondering about the who starts first thing myself. It would make sense to send the speedy ones off first so they don't get held up by the slower swimmers, but if the slower ones are also the slower cyclists/runners then if you send them off first they wont be as far behind the leaders come the end of the whole event, you don't want to left on the run course on your own in your first event, it would be nice to have people around you, even if they are overtaking you, but that's just my opinion.

I've just emailed them to see if I can get any more info about the swim and tranistions. As soo as I here anything I'll post it here.

LMH - Don't give it up as a bad idea until you've done at least one.
  • Options
    Slowest swimers start 1st.
    In one tri one slow/medium/fast/faster swimer was entered in so should finish about the same time.........
    Hard to describe until you do it. Don't worry, it does work

Towel? When you go whizzing on the bike thats the drying off stage.
  • Options
    I bet you're a man TT, you probably don't feel the cold. I've just been out for a long run and can barely feel my fingers to type and am off for a bath to warm up again! That means an early start for me then - not being the fastest swimmer in the world.

Marshallini - don't worry, Muzzy won't put me off. He was trying to recruit me for MoB last year! I know he doesn't mean it:-)
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Would madam like a dressing gown and carpet slippers at poolside for when you finish the swim?? LOL.

Slowest start first. The problems occur when people deliberately under estimate their swim time to get a better starting position.
  • Options
    LMH - well done on considering/entering this....

....on the tyres front. I have just completed my first sprint tri. Someone from the Radio Worcestershire thread fitted road tyres to my MtB and I reckon they took over 10mins off my time over 20km - which meant I wasn't even last on the bike leg - defo worth it if you can find someone to fit them.

• Options
    Thanks Sian.

Muzzy - that would be nice thank you, have you decided to forgo Grimesthorpe and sherpa for me then?

Numpty question no.99. I intend to try some bike/run transitions on Thursday evening, how far do I need to cycle to get the feel of it?
  • Options
    LMH- I'd say as long as you work hard and start the run a with your legs a little tired 10-15 minutes would probably be enough.

• Options
    Excellent - I can do a few then I guess.
  • Options
    Don't, whatever you do, do what I did on Saturday, which was ride 40 hilly miles then, a mere hour later, run a mile flat out in a relay. My legs nearly folded about 200m into the run.

The only (proper) brick session I've done recently was 30 min exercise bike then 2 miles treadmill. Expect it to be hard, but don't let it put you off - on the day itself the adrenaline helps. And keep telling yourself "it's only 5k...!"
  • Options
    Quimby - even given my recent lay off the run should be my strongest discipline, just not sure how I'll be after the swim and cycle. I understand that the idea with the swim is to not use your legs much and that at the end of the bike it's a good idea to stretch your legs a bit as you come in to the transition. I've only ever done a run/bike/run on the treadie and static bike and didn't really notice an effect but I guess I might not have been biking hard enough for long enough!

Marshallini - does it replicate the real thing if you practise on the static bike and treadie or is it better to get out and do it?
  • Options
    *even given my recent lay off the run should be my strongest discipline*
    I thought that as well before my first triathlon.

Oh! how little she knows. LOL

Ever run when you are drunk (and don't lie about never being drunk before), well that's generally what it is like.
  • Options
    So Muzzy - are you joining us?
  • Options
    LMH - I've done stationary bike/treadmill runs and it is pretty much the same feeling, the only difference is you get to walk a bit while the t/mill gets up to speed, where in the race I dump my bike change shoes and sprint off like Linford Christie (last's about 30m).

Here is the comunication from the race organisers:

I'm glad you're looking forward to it - it should be a good do.

The swim. The people with the slowest estimated swim times will be setting
    off first through to the fastest. Those who then enter on the day will get
    the latest start times which has its disadvantages if you're not very fast.
    There will be 7 lanes and people will stick to their allocated lane. This
    means that only those who take more than 14 minutes (and there are very few
    even those who put down 20 minutes don't generally take that long!) will
    end up sharing a lane with more than one other person.
    The footwear business is quite simple. There will be a supply of carrier
    bags, sheets of A4 paper and a big pen at registration. All people need to
    do is write their race number on the paper and put it in a carrier bag with
    their running shoes. These will then be taken from the collection point to
    the 2nd transition where they will be laid out alongside the path in
    numerical order with the sheet of paper clearly on view with the shoes.
    Someone will be "in charge" of the 2nd transition shoe change department who
    will make sure that your cycling shoes are put with the sheets of paper for
    collection by their rightful owner at the end.

I hope this answers all your questions. There will be plenty of instructions
    in a general e-mail/mailshot to all entrants backed up by plenty of written
    info on the day.

Keep training.

Karl.
  • Options
    Thanks for passing on the info, marshallini. Those swim lanes are going to be a bit scary - I'm used to a max of 3 in a lane at my gym pool, and in my only other pool tri we were 2 to a lane, but I ended up having a lane to myself as the other person was a no-show.

My exercise bike/treadmill brick sessions at home are further enhanced by having to come down the stairs after the bike, when my muscles generally complain a lot at having to stretch again to get down the stairs. Should I ever enter a tri where T2 is downstairs from the bike, I am prepared!
  • Options
    Oh, actually I think I've misread - we *shouldn't* need to share a lane with more than 1 other?
  • Options
    So, 7 lanes, 7 min intervals for each wave of 7 people? Is that right?
  • Options
    The way I'm reading it is;

Lane 1, swimmer 1, starts at 7.00am
    lane 2, swimmer 1, starts at 7.01.....
    lane 7, swimmer 1, starts at 7.07

lane 1, swimmer 2, starts 7.08
    lane 2, swimmer 2, starts at 7.01.....

lane 1, swimmer 3, starts 7.15 etc etc.
  • Options
    Ah, I see. My biggest challenge will be getting out at the end - I usually wimp out and use the steps at the end of training. Today I heaved myself out of the water at the end of my session and suffered from severe wobbly arms.

Did a 400m time trial this lunchtime and have managed to knock 30s off my time since a month ago :-)
  • Options
    Just sent my entry form off for this. I'm a Tri virgin, and am quite nervous about how I'll do. Had a practice, bike then run session at the gym last night, the bike session went ok, but the run was really hard. Had legs like jelly. Should I go slower on the bike section, or bite the bullet and accept thats how it is?
  • Options
    In my experience, that's just how it is, at least for the 1st mile. But then I don't practice brick sessions very often. Might be worth doing a couple more before the event to see if it gets any easier?
  • Options
    No it doesn't.

LMH - Grimesthorpe.
  • Options
    NGL - you and me both.

Marshallini/Quimby - thanks for the info. It's beginning to feel a little less scary (not sure if that's a good thing:-)

Muzzy - shame.
  • Options
    Can I try your patience once again please?

Collected my bike this afternoon and was told that the gears had been serviced but as they're rubbish anyway I shouldn't expect too much. However can someone please tell me how I should use my gears? Do you spend the majority of your time on the middle ring using gears 1 - 5, drop down to the granny ring for hills and go up to the top ring for downhills or have I got it totally wrong?

We drove round the cycle route today and I feel a little better, the hill goes on for a long time but isn't too, too steep generally and at least I know where the end is now!

Did my first transition after collecting my bike and you're all right, it feels quite strange but I was going faster than I thought.
  • Options
    LMH - yes, granny ring for going up hills, big ring for downhills. Big ring plus smallest cog at the back is the biggest gear, granny ring plus biggest cog at back is smallest gear. Try not to put your chain at too much of an angle, eg if you feel you want to use the gear which would be granny ring/smallest cog at back, don't, switch to middle ring and a more middling cog. Ditto for big ring/biggest cog. I think it puts a bit of a strain on your chain to stretch it too much.

I have been told to try and switch to a lower (easier) gear sooner rather than later when you hit an uphill. But this, for me, generally means I don't work as hard as I perhaps could, I just go granny and go up at a snail's pace!
  • Options
    Thanks Quimby. I'm afraid I'm just not good at hills so will have to decide whether it's better to cycle up with legs spinning in granny gear or get off and push!
  • Options
    Another question, can I do the bike/run in my swimming trunks, they are not the speedo running pant type, but are more like a smallish pair of lycra shorts?
  • Options
    NGL - my husband (also tri novice) is planning to do it in a pair of lycra running shorts so you won't be the only one.
  • Options
    another question, what do you do with your car keys? Is the transition stage secure enough to leave your keys in a bag?