Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    This is a bit like a petition - send a link to everyone you know and ask them to pledge their support on this forum!!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    I will do it too. Add me to the list but dont tell my better half yet.
  • Options
    With it being attached to the 2008 culture thing and with the right publicity it will almost certainly get the numbers.
    But if you offer a half marathon alternative that will take too many of the "do it for a laugh" runners away from the full and it would be better to have a big in the big race.

August is not the best time to be running a marathon and if it is to fit in around the firemans games then you can have it any time because they'll probably be on strike anyway.

Being local I'm tempted.

Being August I'm not so keen.

So weighing it up, I'm saying NO, I'm not doing it.
  • Options
    Marshallini

"do it for a laugh"

a marathon????????????
  • Options
    PH - Yeah, "seemed like a good idea at the time" runners.

I think a new course would be better than linking the 10k and the half courses.

• Options
    People dont enter marathons like that do they???

SURELY not;)
  • Options
    I think there are a few people that would consider entering on a whim and then not even training for it and running round in a pair of reebok classic.
  • Options
    well, of course anyone who takes over 5 hours is not a proper runner anyway

(i must not rant)
  • Options
    Anything slower than 2:40 and you're not a proper runner.
  • Options
    I'd do it if it wasn't in August.

All the training would have to be done in the height of the summer and if July this year is anything to go by then count me out - I just cant run in those sort of conditions.

I vote for late Oct/early Nov so I can use the GNR as part of the training!

• Options
    ah yes marshallini
    i got my numbers wrong;)

mandie
    lateoctober would clash with quite a few other popular marathons
  • Options
    I voted in favour of a Liverpool marathon on the earlier thread that Cath mentions. I'm not a fan of the August idea either but if there's another immovable event to link up with the so be it.

I think that makes me a 'probably'
  • Options
    signs Cumbris name in blood
  • Options
    I thought FLM had 110,000 applications for 35,000 places and GNR is also over-subscribed. These two events cannot be used as excuses.

I would not want to do serious distance running in Jun & July - apart from anything else it is dangerous. If Paula Ratcliffe can't do a summer marathon (Olympics) what chance do us mortals stand. Do it in January then - I have done the Helsby 4 villages half in Jan & the weather is perfect for long distance running.
  • Options
    Perfect excuse for a list methinks...

JANUARY

FEBRUARY

MARCH

APRIL

MAY

JUNE

JULY

AUGUST

SEPTEMBER
    Cath

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER

DECEMBER

• Options
    Cath,

I'll start the ball rolling with MARCH !!
  • Options
    Thats a really good point Basil... the simple fact that London turn down more than half the people who enter demonstrates a clear demand for another mass participation event.

If Liverpool were to aim to attract this market and have an entry system similar to dublin (i.e. first come first served) then I am sure that it would attract loads of runners... The event could feasibly be timed for March/April and it would also mean that the training could be done during the cold winter months.

Therefore, I will also vote with Cath for March.

• Options
    Perfect excuse for a list methinks...

JANUARY
    Cath

FEBRUARY

MARCH
    Basil Brush
    Minsterman
    Cath

APRIL

MAY

JUNE

JULY

AUGUST

SEPTEMBER
    Cath

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER
    Cath

DECEMBER
  • Options
    Not sure that just because FLM reject people means there is a demand for another city marathon.

To most people - London is THE marathon.

The vast majority of runners there aren't people you'd find on the forum here.
    London is televised and has a high visibilty in the UK. If all the other marathons round the UK went full 5 times over I think we'd be onto something - but they don't.

I believe the Firefighters Games needs a marathon anyway - so probably makes sense to add onto it.

Edinburgh Marathon seems to be in trouble.
  • Options
    sigh
    yep, thats the problem Cougs

Mind you, it can be done
    look at Mablethorpe!

it wiill be really important to get local support though
  • Options
    You could definately count me in for a Merseyside Marathon if it was a one-off. If it was an annual event I doubt I would do more than one, so 2008 sounds like the sensible year to run one.

I would happily do it at any time. Late-May would be my prefered month as it allows the Liverpool Half Marathon to be used as preparation, and make it appealing to people who were rejected from the ballot for the London Marathon.

Alternatively, why not extra the Santa Dash by 23 miles and create a unique version of that race.
  • Options
    dave, thats a good idea to have an alternative to londodn
  • Options
    Yikes - 1000's of people dressed as santa running a mara :-D
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    An August marathon doesn't make much sense (IMHO). However, a late autumn one seems far better in terms of how to train. Far better to do your long runs in Sept/ early Oct than June & July.

Also, disagree with most people on this but that course doesn't sound very good. Why on earth would people want to run through that tunnel once, never mind twice. If you want the view coming back into the city then run in alongside the river from the old garden festival site or something like that.

I did the 1/2m back in the spring and there were sections at the start where it was just too packed. Add in another few thousand people there & there could be problems. I see the point in using Sefton Park as the start HQ but I don't think the roads there are designed for that many runners.

In terms of the course, I'd rather add in places to the current 1/2m course without the need to go over the river (without wishing to sound rude to them in the Wirral, it is Liverpool which got C of C, not Merseyside). Add in the football grounds, add in Hope Street (shift the cars off and that will be plenty wide enough) & the roads from the footy grounds into town - such as Scottie Rd - should be fine to do an out-and-back.
  • Options
    August would be OK for me. Loads ran Blackpool in 25' this year and 30' last year. August is often slightly cooler than June and at least if its a hot summer you have a chance to get used to running in the heat.

If this gets enough publicity it could attract runners from all over Europe given the capital of Culture celebrations. I'll get to work on my Dutch Colleagues.
  • Options
    I thought the route taken by the half mara in Oct 2004 was reasonable - through bits of leafy Allerton and Mossley hill (though this was my first in 20 years so I was just loving it which may have coloured my judgement)

Gavo - point well made. November sounds good but remember there are three the weekend at the end of October - Beachy Head, Snowdon and Dublin and quite a few are running all three!
  • Options
    LeviLevi ✭✭✭
    I'd like to to this...anytime, but ideally late autumn.
  • Options
    I did blackpool in june and robin hood on sunday and they were both very tough i think autumn would be best but i will do it what ever the whether.
  • Options
    Count in the 100 Marathon Club, I reckon loads will want to run this one regardless of the time of year. I will definitely come up for it as I love Liverpool anyway.
  • Options
    Gee - I never realised Liverpool was in the tropics - Must be that Global Warming thingy!

Get real guys. Liverpool is not the riviera. An 8 am start for a Marathon is unlikely to see temps, even in a very hot August, more than 60.

We run the Dublin Marathon at the end of October over here in Ireland, and suprisingly we find that 10,000 run it. I would hesitate to guess that people are training all summer and running in all sorts of weather. It may be cool on race day, but the training still has to be done in the summer months, we don't pack away our kit come July!

As others have said, Blackpool is run in the summer months, Longford, here in Ireland, is run in August and attracts good support, and many American marathons are run in warm(ish) weather.

Given the unique opportunity to hold another Big City Marathon in the UK, tied in with the Firefighters Olympics, arguing over the date is hardly going to make any organisers confident. Stick with the programme - Name the day and people will come. I'm up for it.