Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Mr Brush - your comment "absolute stupidity !!" I don't consider any that marathon train during the summer are at all "Stupid". Peed off? - Get a grip

I do think that the route should take in as many populated areas as possible though on a Sunday Morning some people are dead keen to get to the retail parks and really take exception to bliddy marathon runners and road closures. Apparently some businesses are really not big fans of road races as they feel that they lose business when races are on and this applies to businesses around the Albert Dock and the City Centre.
  • Options
    Mr Happy,

I would have thought that the organisers were required by law to consider health & safety. There have been several deaths at summer marathons & half marathons in recent years and these were seasoned runners rather than some unfit type who shouldn't have been attempting the distance.

I for one do not fancy following a marathon schedule that requires me to run 18 miles or more on at least 5 occasions during the summer months. If you do the FLM most marathon schedules start in early January with the longer runs being in Feb & Mar.

I suppose its all down to personal choice, but I can say that extreme heat is the only weather that has stopped me running in the past 5 years. Wind, rain, frost, snow - not a problem, extreme heat - 30 degrees plus type heat and I was forced to give up and walk home, simply couldn't run in it. Maybe it's me, but I don't like it. I did the Edinburgh marathon in June 2004 and that was a struggle because we had a nice sunny day.

I want the Liverpool marathon to take place and wish RL the best of luck with it.
  • Options
    I don't think there's any connection between the death rate at marathons and the time of year and have never heard it used as an argument for which time of year to hold a mara before BB. FLM can be unseasonally warm and as for Paula in Athens - Read her book and you'll know why she didn't have such a good run :)
  • Options
    BB - I dont think that any organisers are in trouble for deaths at their events.

From what I recall all the deaths at the GNR were nothing to do with the conditions and those guys could have passed away any time.

Extreme heat isnt my favourite weather to run in, but with our summers being so unpredictable - we'd never put races on at all if we were worried about it.

At the end of the day its down to the participants. They need to take responsibility for themselves and not pass it onto the organisers.

If they don't think the conditions will suit them, they should find another race to do.

(I'm hoping for cool weather and maybe some rain - but if its hot I'll just ease back a bit)
  • Options
    There are disclaimers on every race entry form...

In London they have showers en route in case of hot weather/hot people.

This, and plenty of water stations are probably all we could expect to counter the weather conditions.

There are marathons that take place all over the world, in hotter and colder climates than ours, and while i dont claim to be an expert in running in these conditions, it does beg the question - if it is such a problem then why do these other events go ahead?

Ideally im sure we would all like to see it take place in cooler temperatures, but if thats not possible, lets at least have an event to debate!!

• Options
    I am sure Marathon Des Sables is run in hotter weather than we get in Liverpool
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it was hot for the original marathon run in Greece.

If Health and Safety had been around in those days then Pheidippides would have been prevented from running and we'd all be sitting round a lot more than we are now.
  • Options
    Sorry to butt in but I have to agree with Basil brush.

I ran the Edinburgh marathon this year and it was just too hot. I didnt run for most of July either as I found I just could not run in the heat. If I had a marathon planned for August then I just know I would not be fully trained for it.

I have kept one eye on this thread since it started and from what I can gather this planned marathon has nothing to do with the participants. It is all to do with promoting the city of Liverpool in that particular year. Why does it have to coincide with the firemans event (sorry - dont know what that event is as I dont live in Liverpool) The year lasts 12 months so why cant the celebrations spread over the full year?

If the time is taken to organise a mass event as hoped then Liverpool would benefit from a successful marathon year after year - it seems to me the organisors are only interested in this one particular year so dont really care about any long term benefits (ie revenue being brought to the city and of course the benefits that the charities get).

Sorry if I've annoyed/upset,offended anyone.....i'll get me coat!
  • Options
    Thank you Mandie, you are absolutely correct. This firemans thingy has nothing to do with Liverpool and has never taken place in the city before - this is a 2008 stunt as you correctly observe. The Liverpool marathon is also being staged as a 2008 stunt rather than establishing a serious regular running event !!
  • Options
    scuse me
    but it takes a HEL of a lot to get support for a mara
    so many maras have gone to pot over the years

I really understand what you are all saying about the heat-i am crap in it muyself
    but

the general public aint that supportive of maras, and some councils arent-so sometimes it might have to be tagged onto something else to happen at all

it might well be a one off

but thats beter than nothing at all
  • Options
    The Liverpool Marathon used to be an annual event, although it hasn't been run now for many years.

I ran it in 1982, 83 and 84. It was always held at the end of September.

I can't remember much of the route now, but remember running along the dock road and up Upper Parliament Street, and through Aigburth. I believe it finished in Woolton.
  • Options
    I ran it in 82, my first marathon...

I'll do it in 08 if the big runner in the sky lets me
  • Options
    The Dock Road went on forever as I recall
  • Options
    Mandie - the Firemans Games is a big thing, and they have a marathon or they did at the last one anyway. So that would be guaranteed a couple of hundred entries. Which is exactly what they'd need to make it a success. I'm guessing they'd also have help thru the games for organising.

Edinburgh Marathon is having difficulties, so the public can't be crying out for these races.

I cant see it getting off the ground without the link. We already have a Half Marathon thats well supported, but entries for a Marathon would be a lot less than that.
  • Options
    What half marathon - as far as I can see FLM have pulled out and nothing is scheduled for 2007 - unless you know better !!
  • Options
    Interesting following the "debate". Given that so many Marathons in the UK have bitten the dust for many reasons, I would welcome the inclusion of another Big City Race, and Liverpool would be a welcome addition to the running fraternity.

Organising a Big City Marathon is not easy, and I can see why those who are looking at organising the same are looking at the World Fire Fighters Games as the catalyst. If it was a success in 2008, then I would guess that would give the incentive to the organisers to continue the following year etc.

Apart from the core running community, as far as the general public are concerened, there is only the London Marathon and nothing else - This needs to be advertised, invested in, and supported, marketed etc..., otherwise it will die a death before it's begun.....

• Options
    I thought we'd heard that the Lpool Half was on again ? But if it is the case that we have no half in the city - it'd be pretty pointless running a full one I reckon.

A half is more achievable by more runners and you'd get a better entry. What was it last year - 6000 or so ?

I thought the London people did a cracking job of the Half last year - I'll be gutted if its not on and want to know why ?
  • Options
    Ideally I think we would all like to see an annual event emerge, and 2008 appears to be the right timescale for a push to demonstrate support, and then for Run Liverpool to organise it.

As it has quite rightly been pointed out before an ongoing annual event would be a fantastic legacy for the 2008 capital of culture etc.

If Brendan Foster can do it for Newcastle/Gateshead, then im sure Liverpool can create an event as successful as this. I beleve it just needs determination and positive thinking to make it happen.
  • Options
    Please don't give up on this one guys as Liverpool really does deserve to host a marathon again.

Although I agree that FLM is the only marathon in most of Joe Public's eyes, I reckon there must still be room for another one, especially in such a great city. After all, we have the Great South Run and the Great North Run (which is a massive fund-raising event).

However, I don't think it would get off the ground without linking it to the City of Culture stuff or the Firemens Games. Also, it would need the support of the local traders so that they get something out of it too.

Btw, from what I remember of the Dock Road it was bad enough driving along it in a car, never mind running it!
  • Options
    As I said before, the 100 Marathon Club will turn out in full force for a new event and we have over 100 members.
    Personally, as long as it doesn't clash with my ultras (I'm Chairman of the 100KM Association) I don't mind when it takes place. I will encourage all my chums to take part. Also, the Scottish contingent will be interested as they only have 2 or 3 Marathons a year up there and need to travel a long way south if they want to do several a year.
  • Options
    Given it's proximity to Ireland, ferries, and cheap flights, I reckon that a fair number would be prepared to travel from here to Liverpool as well.

Now all we have to do is get the Mancs to travel :)
  • Options
    Mancunians coming to Liverpool? Hmmmmmmmm! ;-)))
  • Options
    I wonder what they will charge for entry if it goes ahead. If they charge £40, which is, I believe, what the Edinburgh Marathon charges (no wonder its future is in doubt)then they will struggle to get enough runners. I, for one, would not be prepared to pay this sort of money. What with travel costs and accommodation, it would be a very expensive experience.
  • Options
    Depends on your point of view. For me a marathon is only once or twice a season and you train specifically for it, so its damn good value for money if you add in the hours training.

Its like Ironman - £200 or so, but excellent value.

If you do run lots of marathons and lots of races I can see it would get pricey, but I don't do that many races.
  • Options
    15 weeks marathon training - £40 for the race and about £150 for shoes, shorts etc - its got to be one of the cheapest sports there is?

2008 - capital of Culture year - is the perfect excuse to organise a marathon even if it just a one off.

No mention of Liverpool Half on Adidas site - only Silverstone :(

Maybe we should be talking about organising a half for Liverpool as well?
  • Options
    Losing the Liverpool Half is a big dissapointment. this has been a great event, well organised, really anjoyable and brings in the punters...

• Options
    Can't believe they aren't holding the 1/2 next year as we were planning to trek up and see the relatives at the same time. Surely there has been enough support for it? I'd heard it was very successful.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Well we had a fairly decent 1/2m (in various guises) before the LM people got involved. If they don't want us then f__k them and let Run Liverpool/ LC council organise their own.

£40 is a bit steep for a UK marathon. As I said on the previous thread, I think the entry fee should be £20.08. Get a few sponsors involved, bit of TV (if fatty Foster can get it for the Geordie fun run then I don't see why it can't be done for the Scouse mara) & that should cut down the costs.
  • Options
    I've just looked at the first couple of posts on this thread, so I don't know if this point has already been raised, but......

A marathon in Liverpool in August....Are you MAD ??!!

I ran in Edinburgh in early June and people said that was a stupid time of year - temperatures topped out at 28C and I can tell you it wasn't pleasant! But August! Has Alan Rothwell forgotten what the weather was like this summer?

If this event is to be considered then surely the date must be changed. May, perhaps late September / October, but surely not August!