Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Hi liam
    I enjoyed Longford this year

I guess the biggest issue will be to not clash with other races
    and to get local support
  • Options
    I like the idea of running to the Wirral and back. Whenever you see a news report on Liverpool they inevitably do a shot from the Ferry or the Wirral so you can see the skyline. Its very scenic that way.

I can see that the Tunnel both ways may be a bit of a drag. So can we finish in New Brighton please ? Then I can walk back to my parents for a bath. Ta.
  • Options
    There are literally dozens of marathons all over Europe in March / April / May and Sept / Oct. If you are looking to attract runners to a new event why go head to head in a crowded marketplace?

I agree 100% with Liam - if you run an autumn marathon you train over the summer anyway and I really can't see it being that hot in Liverpool in August, even with a 9am start. Besides which, thousands run marathons in the likes of Rome and Madrid which are a touch hotter than Liverpool!

As for teh route I don't know Liverpool that well but I would be attracted to a route that showed off teh city's history. Something that takes in the docks, past some beatles stuff, out past Anfield and maybe through the park and past Goodison. Get that right and I'd sign up in a shot.
  • Options
    I live on the Wirral and I can tell you that for 3 to 4 weeks on the trot during late Jun into July you had to wait until about 8.00pm before it was comfortable and safe to run. I wouldn't marathon train in that - absolute stupidity !!

If you start at 9.00am most runners will finish between 12.00 & 2.00 - now thats very sensible.

I'm out !!
  • Options
    BB - I was running 10 and 20 milers in June with no bother on the Wirral. Sure it was warm, but I did all my runs either saturday ams, or straight from work - so 6ish. Heat wasnt a problem. Also ran the seaside 5k run and got a pb.

How you can say its stupid to train then is beyond me ? It was warm but not saharan heat. Anyway - we were running the marathon part of IMDE in 30 degree plus heat.

The worst race I saw for heat probs was the Wilmslow Half a few years back -so that would be in March. It was a warm day, not hot by any means, but warm compared to the past few weeks and people were dropping like flies.

Shall we ban races in march ?
  • Options
    I've run plenty of 10 mile and 15 mile runs in Spain in 30-35 degree heat in the last 2 years and don't understand what the issue is about running in the summer. I'd much rather train in the stinking hot sun than through the cold dark (sometimes wet and icy)winter nights and I know that most of the runners I know increase their mileage during the summer months.

Like Liam says - set a date and go for it.

Its a shame people waste time posting comments to say they won't be running it. Such comments are a complete waste of your time and ours.
  • Options
    I bloody hate running in the heat
    but if thats when this event is, I will be there
    its probably going to be a one off anyway, and i dont want to miss the opportunity to do it
  • Options
    Where does everyone think the finish should be? I think either...st georges hall or the best part of our city...goodison park!!! I think it would be great if it did take in the football grounds tho...
  • Options
    St Georges Hall would be a good one I think. Could we run up past the museum ? V pretty.
  • Options
    I think its valid for people to tell us that they aren't interested in it for whatever reason. Otherwise it'll look like 100% of people on here would run it, and thats not the case.

God knows what weather we'll get anyway - it could be anything from 80 degrees to 6 or 7 - but the same thing applies from April thru to October !
  • Options
    While I'd agree that St Georges Hall would be great - how about the Pier Head/Albert Dock area as an alternative?

In fact, to try and cobble together all the ideas so far - how about assembling at the Pier Head, using the ferry across onto the Wirral, running back through the tunnel, out to the footy grounds then back through the city centre back to the starting area?

<Wanders off to find a map and check if he's just proposed a 40 mile marathon - in August!>
  • Options
    Love the idea of the ferry !
  • Options
    40 miles
    ooooooh
    an ultra!
  • Options
    I ran Wolverhampton Marathon last year and it was very hot, I didn't actually finish the race, but that wasn't soley to do with the heat. I just hadn't done any training, maybe if it was a bit cooler on the day I might have made the last 3 miles, who knows? I did end up with heat stroke and was very ill afterwards though.

I'd "run" a marathon in August but I wouldn't "race" one.
  • Options
    I ran mabo marathon last sunday and it was bloddy hot
  • Options
    TBH.. I don't care what month its in and for the record August wasn't much shakes this year.. what makes you think it will be for 2008?

The route is debatable.. the tunnels would be cool.. the city would be dandy.. the football grounds.. well thats an option.. so long as we hit goodison first... that way its down hill past liverpool! I think really a race like this would have tons of support from runners and "hav a go harrys" 08 adds to the draw..

I think the most logical route however would be a cultural tour.. take in some of the sites that made liverpool the capital of culture! it will also make a more attractive backdrop for the photos and may distract from the red, sweaty, grimacing faces..
  • Options
    OK - I'm not a footy fan, but its a bit cack round Goodison/Anfield innit ?

Sefton Park is good tho - lots of space and scenic.

If you wnat to show Lpool in its best light - lets do that. Not much point showing Anfield and Goodison, as every footy fan knows them ? Show the unexpected bits - like Aigburth Prom, the parks, Rodney Street - and all that kinda stuff.

Of course - road closures etc will play a big part, so it may end up with 8 laps of Sefton Park...
  • Options
    I've just measured a course that starts at the Liver Building goes up passed Goodison, back passed Anfield, thru the city centre passed the old cathedral, along Riverside Drive towards Otterspool, to Garston, up thru Allerton, Wavertree, passed the new cathedral, down thru the city center and finishes opposite the Albert Dock. 26.2 miles.

Simple enough to chop and change bits to start on the otherside of the Mersey and finish at St Georges Hall.

Getting 20,000 people thru on the underground would take some doing tho?
  • Options
    ...or how about finishing IN the albert dock to cool off afterwards?!!

• Options
    From a logistical point of view, a race which starts and finishes in Liverpool City Centre and then requires most of the key roads into the city to be shut to traffic seems a no-goer.

Sefton Park seems the ideal place for the start and finsih. Its a large, nice area with plenty of nice bars, restuarants and so on around it, as well as being well-connected to routes out of the city.

If you want to show off the good bits of Liverpool, you need to show what tourists will like, not what Scousers would like. The view of the three graces is the main thing, and you can only get that view from the Wirral. The tunnel would also be quite a welcome shade if it was a warm day.

I like the route Alan has suggested on here - it shows the intersting architecture Liverpool has and makes the Mersey a focal point. Add a few Beatles covers bands playing as you go past the docks and so on and you're giving the tourists what they want.

I think some coordination with the Mersey Ferries is essential to this idea. A park-and-ride at Seacombe Ferry would be very useful for people travelling from the Wirral/Wales and again so off Liverpool's plus points well. Also, with a Sefton Park-New Brighton loop, you allow the families of runners the opportunity to watch the start, head down to the docks to see the runners (on free shuttle buses, going down Garston Prom to show off more of the city to them), and spend time in the docks, and free travel to Seacombe to see the runners with the very impressive backdrop.

But the thing that this race is screaming out to me about is the connection with the Fire Fighters Olympics. Its hardly going to be difficult to attract people from New York to take part in a marathon in Liverpool (a city it has close links to) which also celebrates the work of firefighters. In terms of making a marathon in Liverpool which will gain much respect and prestige for the city internationally, there does seem a lot of potential for a one-off event.

It seems to me there is much potential for a Liverpool marathon to be used to attract some many visitors to the area that the council is begging for it to be staged as an annual event if marketing correctly to people outside the region.
  • Options
    whilst it would be ideal to show tourists all the scenic parts of liverpool, they can also do this in there own time after the race!!! obviously goodison and anfield are not a great attraction to non-football fans, but i feel areas of liverpool such as walton or anfield would be where the greatest support in the form of crowds would be found...I think to make it a great marathon you need great support on the route, and this needs to be considered...
  • Options
    Good points there WD.

Yeah ST - I can see what you mean about the crowds, but I guess the council want to get the runners and families coming back again. Must admit I dont really do much sightseeing in London after I've run a marathon. If you can get scenic bits in on the run, they may want to come back again to have a look.

If you just let them run around say a bleak part of town (mentioning no areas) - they prob won't bother coming back, no matter how good the support is.
  • Options
    *Grinding my teeth as I am about to agree with a Blue Nose, esp one with that damn picture...*

Loads of people associate Liverpool with red brick terraced houses and a great community atmosphere - think grainy black and whites of teenaged beatles. Personally I think it would be wrong to just ponce about showing off fancy buildings and not take advantage of the thing that makes Liverpool unique - the people. It doesn't have to be out by the footy grounds (although again football is strongly associated with the city so why not?) but it would be nice to see some of teh real city.
  • Options
    Cougie,
    Glad you found acceptable running weather throughout the summer - I recall one Saturday morning setting off to do 10 miles and abandoned it just after 6 miles because the heat was unbearable - perhaps I am a winter runner. I did 10 miles this morning on the front and it was grat - a stiff breeze in the face, still a bit warm though.

Mr Happy,
    I suggest that you go back and check the start of this thread - it asked for opinions on holding a marathon - that means people who disagree with you are allowed to post - as much as that pisses you off !!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Well the London mara doesn't exactly go through all of its best areas (how many tourists go to Woolwich?), and the Dublin mara goes through a fair few residential areas & neither of them have problems attracting runners.

I do, however, have fundamental problems (and not just logistical ones) with using parts of the Wirral. I also don't think that Sefton Park is that well connected, although if it serves just as a starting point & we finish somewhere in town (there's got to be loads of NW runners who would come in for the day to Lime St) that might be a compromise. A few years ago the 1/2m started at the Pier Head & finished in Sefton Park - it seems to make more sense to me to do the opposite.

Mind you, Scousers argue about everything so finding a route & time that we all agree on for a mara (can we agree on 26.2m?) isn't going to be easy.
  • Options
    I think you should move the finish to the Trophy Room at Anfield - A highlight of anyones trip to Liverpool :)......
  • Options
    Judging by their performance last Saturday - they'll have plenty of space there for the finishers !

;-)
  • Options
    I agree with Wirral Dave. Sefton Park to New Brighton is a big but scenic loop.

Whatever route it is though, I'd sign up as would I'm sure many others.
  • Options
    Sounds like a really good idea and with Liverpool being culture capital in 2008 I'm sure interest and more importantly participants would be plentiful. Good Luck!
  • Options
    OMG, count me in!

My husband ran the Liverpool marathon in 1982 or 83 (he's getting on a bit so can't remember, bless him!) and then never ran another. I need to add it to my collection so he can't go on about it anymore ;-))))

Please, please, please organise it and make it a decent route with lots of crowd support rather than a sightseeing tour.