Options

Tatton Park Cancer Research UK 10K

so who up for this one?

ive got my kit thru - is everyone wearing their blue tshirt or are you opting for technical kit?

what time are you aiming for - i did the harrogate theatre 10k last sunday - decent hill in it and did 57:29 so im aiming for sub 55mins this week - my mate says he can do 50mins - dont want to go too fast too soon as i have the GNR next sunday so want to make sure go into the GNR uninjured

did a 5 mile recovery run yesterday as the knees were aching but they eased half way thru - next 5 mile tomorrow with saturday as a rest day

so you on sunday

Comments

• Options
    Hi Simon,

I'm running it with my OH.. really hoping to break the 50 min mark (even by 1 sec would do) as my previous pb for a 10k was 51:08.

Here's hoping for a nice cool flat one!

I've not run since Wednesday evening and now haven't got time for a final run.. so will be well rested.

Good luck!

Nat.
  • Options
    I'm doing it as well but am always well over the hour so will wave as people disappear off in front of me. It's funny how you get used to it!

Should be a nice course though as Tatton Park is beautiful.

I'm going to wear the blue t-shirt.
  • Options
    Am not going to wear blue t-shirt as do get really sweaty so dry weave will be better for me. Will save it for clean t-shirt after the run and will wear it proudly w my medal. I would like to make it in under 1hr 10 as last time was 1hr 12 :-) 50 mins... i can dream!!
  • Options
    im hoping for 55 mins uninjured as the GNR time i want is <2hrs... but realistically i just want to get thru the 13.1 gruelling miles next week.....

im using this tatton run is as a training run to keep my legs going and maintain the pounding.

down to 12.8 now from nearly 14st so im going the right way but boy is it hard to keep off the beer midweek.

the sunday runs keep me focused by not going out on the beer saturday.... friday is another matter - works do tonight and mucho kronenbourg to be had.

hence saturday as a rest

good idea for the blue tshirt to wear afterwards, will decide on the day heat wise

supposed to out on my run now but got waylaid with the kids homework..... any excuse

see you sunday
  • Options
    did the run last night - 25 mins as i was rushing so only a half run but better than none.

too much stella last night so major ruff today, only myself to blame

looking forward to tomorrow hope its fine and not too hot.

how is everyone else getting on with their training?
  • Options
    I ordered the extra large blue Tshirt so that I can wear it as a nightie, and will wear a technical Tshirt tomorrow.

Once upon a time I did 10ks in just under an hour. I don't think I'll be doing that tomorrow, thanks to work interfering with training. Still, it's a chance to run in a lovely, traffic-free setting, in a good cause.

No beer tonight. Lots tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I'm really confused as I've entered Tatton and Antrobus and I don't know which way to go. I've only done one 10k race which I did in 70 mins but that was a simple road race! I assume, if this is on 50% grass and it might rain, that I should expect a worse time? Which race will be the most fun to do for a novice like me? Any tips on car parking, loos etc with 2000 people wanting to do the same thing will be gratefully received? What should I expect? What plans should I make?
  • Options
    Am afraid can't advise Speedy as am a novice myself.

In terms of training u put me to shame Simon as haven't been out for over a week. Have done lots of walking this week though.. does that count???
  • Options
    hi speedy, dont know which one youre going to run. i chose tatton as its a big one and i need to get run practice for the GNR.

not see the antrobus site - have you paid for both?

regarding parking etc - best advice is get there early.

loos - dont drink too much beforehand, half a glass of water etc but if your there early shouldnt be a big problem. at least they do have - a few weeks ago a race i did didnt - oh dear

if it rains - hey- at least i'll be a bit cooler.

hangover just about going - the missus isnt chuffed - spent all day on the sofa watching lion king with my 5 yr old.... what a wasted day.

i'll be taking my blue tshirt as well as my fave tech shirt - i'll see how hot it is

natso - still on for 50 mins?

hejira - still on for 1hr+

the way i feel at present - i'll just be glad to get around..

but 55 is still the target - hope the shins and knees hold out.

• Options
    Hi Simon! Haven't paid for Antrobus, but got my number for Tatton. You guys all sound gr8 too! Decided therefore to go for Tatton!My hubby has given me a target of 67 mins but he thinks I'll actually do 68mins. We'll see! I know loads of people doing both races, and I'm also doing Powis 10k in a fortnight. Maybe the GNR next year! I'll try to get there early and chill out. Good luck everyone. Post your times after the race here!
  • Options
    see you all at the race tomorrow

look out for 2611..... middle of the pack

lets hope the weather holds out and its a bit overcast - not too hot or wet

feeling ok now ankles and hips fully fit - knees are a little sore though..... its an age thing i think... almost a vet...!!

my new runners have really helped - asics cumulus - neutral - sounds like theyre going get a bit muddy tomorrow though

• Options
    speedy - go for it - ypu can do it 59:59 has got to be the target - it's supposed to be fairly flat and with it being off road i'm sure you'll crack the hour.

start middle of the pack steady away - keep pace with someone who looks like they know what they are doing - eg older club runner etc - not too fast/slow

aim for 30mins 5k and see how you get on.

if you have a heart rate monitor - go at 80-90% and chop your pace when your tired - dont walk.... once you start you cant stop

run even if its a snails pace -

remind your self - the mind gives up before the body.

when you see the 9k marker..... fills your lungs and get ready to sprint your last 500m

try and overtake someone on the final straight - it'll make your day - especially - your hubbys

good luck everyone and post your times tomorrow

• Options
    oh dear was supposed to be asleep ages ago need to b up v early

hv just read ur advice on how to run the race Simon. Sounds good but I don't think that I cd possibly run the whole way.

Good luck all.
  • Options
    well how did we all get on?

get set up - the toilets we a god send and the were fairly clean too.

no goody bag but what do you expect with 2700 runners - my kids like the medal.

how does everyone feel?

im over the moon!!

• Options
    51:54 its official its a PB my target was 55mins so i smashed that !!

last weeks 10k was 57:29 so ive managed to knock 5 mins off - its those yorkshire hills that slowed me down in harrogate.

todays terrain waas fairly trecherous though wasnt it.

the heavens open for the first 3k thunder n lightening... however it keep us cool, albeit very muddy.

i knew i was on for a good time when i passed 5k at 26:30 that was 1 min better than my best 5k.. getting fitter the training has paid off. when i passed 9k at 38 again 2 mins better than harrogate i put my foot down with the finish line in sight.

only one problem - it wasnt the finish that was around the corner - oops - but all in all no injuries, and 5 mins off last weeks time

WELL CHUFFED i hope i feel as good next week at the GNR - 1:59:59 is the target

• Options
    oops it was 7k 38 and 9k at 48....

statto or what
  • Options
    Well done, Simon! I've never done anything like that before. My first 10k was the Birchwood road race in August and I did it in 70mins. Today was fairly exciting, and I followed your advice. Got to 5k in 35 mins and finished in 67 mins. Very pleased!Something positive to work on. I'm not very fast but I felt strong the whole way and managed a good sprint at the end!
  • Options
    This was my first ever 10k, managed it in 1hr 16mins, which i was v pleased with (have only been running since June). Can't believe the weather though, and going through those woods at the start with the thunder & lightning!

Definately do it again though inspite of the weather!
  • Options
    Well THAT was fun! ;o)

I don't think it would be possible to run in conditions much worse than that. I hear the course was scenic but I could barely see for the first 3k! Lol

So much for a sub 50! I really don't think there was anyway I could have got a pb in those conditions and the bottle necks were a nightmare. But managed it in 51:52 having really floored it for the last 3k. Oh well it wasn't far off.

To be honest although the course was scenic.. I thought it was badly planned for that volume of runners.. through the wooded bits especially it was way too narrow and I lost loads of time trying to get past people. Probably my fault for starting too far back.

• Options
    Well done Speedy you hit your target - that'll show your hubby!!! and you felt strong which always a good feeling.

Well done Jo - you did it - the weather was really bad wasn't it.

Natso - you beat me arrgghh i think you overtook me at the finish - 2 secs ahead of me - i put my foot down after the 9k sign and aimed for the finish- didnt realise it was 'the last corner' ...doh!!

the bottleneck were a bit annoying and youre right you would have lost some time wading through traffic.

2700 runners though what a great crowd - i thought it was 2000 max.

regarding being scenic - all i saw was a couple of planes overhead and the 3 feet in front of me as there was potholes, uneven terrain, branches , bricks and the sheep even had a go.

it was my PB as its only my 2nd 10k so ive set myself 49:59 as my next 10k time but i will have to select the flatest one i can....

i wore my adidas tech vest to wick the sweat away...... fat chance with the weather - i think my shoes were carrying 1/2 pound extra in water.

winning time was apparently 34 mins WOW!!!

knees and ankles are stiffening up now though - getting old.......
  • Options
    I managed it in 53 minutes, which is better than my last 10k (54:21). I did start off too fast though and ended up walking a little bit at the 6k mark. I think if the weather had held out then I could have done it closer to the 50 minute mark.

I cannot believe that the weather did that too us all though.
  • Options
    Simon - LOL at wearing the wicking! I did go for broke over the finish line and overtake a few people (tiny bird with an aqua vest and a hairband if it rings any bells).. and then very nearly passed out!

I had a Saucony tech vest on too.. what a joke that was. I was Very glad I had shunned the cotton t-shirt as I think I would've got nearer and nearer to the ground with the weight of it.

Nearly broke my neck on several tree stumps/ fallen branches..

Tatton Park 10K - the new Suicide Six? ;o)

• Options
    well done bodders

just took my runners out of the sink - what a mess and new ronhill socks were white now darker shade of grey - lovely.

is anyone else aching yet or is it just me?
  • Options
    dont forget to rate this race - then the organisers can put right any misgivings etc

• Options
    Very well done, Jo. That's a gr8 time for your first 10k and in those conditions! I wore my 'peach' coloured tech vest and navy cap! Did anyone spot me as they passed me? I enjoyed the race in a strange kind of way! My ipod got waterlogged after 1k and I had to listen to my own gasps for breath for the rest of the race, which was very disconcerting....
  • Options
    Hi Folks,
    Well that was a good wet run wasnt it! Boy the heaven's opened at the start, pretty muddy but good run. I made my first 10K run at 55:15 mark. Tricky conditions and alot of mud sliding!

I thought the last corner on the finishing straight was pretty slippery!

Well here is to the next 10K.

• Options
    Well done everybody... your times all put mine to shame. I did it in just under 1hr 11.

I found it really hard. Felt completely deflated when saw the 2k mark as was sure must be close to the 5 by that point.

My lovely new and previously sparkling trainers are now in the washing machine.

Was disappointed not to get a goodie bag and thought the medal looked a little flimsy and it wd hv been nice if it said the date of race etc.. but hey i suppose at least we got one.

Do you have short brown hair Speedy??

Don't know if anyone spotted me i was wearing a children with leukaemia vest w Mr Men on and didnt see anyone else w one.
  • Options
    Well done everybody! hopeless - your time is pretty good going!

What goodie bag? I didnt spot anyone giving any goodie bag ? :)

• Options
    hi hopeless - good effort - didnt notice you bit as i said early - only saw the 3 feet in front as it was so trecherous.

i was going to put my runners in the washer but my mate reckons it'll knacker them up? and at £70 i didnt want to risk it.

i'll check with the shop i bought em off tomorrow

speedy - your description sounds familar - i think i saw you at some stage as i was after your cap - i foolishly bring my sun glasses and then the heavens opened

couldnt see thru them to wear them and the would stay on my head as it was soooo wet so had to carry them.

• Options
    hi andrew - well done - no goodie bag - which was disappointing

and the medal was flimsy , good cause tho

check out

http://www.hellrunner.co.uk/gallery-2005-pool.htm

looks fun and pretty much like today , but cheaper - im going to try get some mates roped in - anybodyelse fancy it?