Options

Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Options
    rodiogirl
    no apology necessary - join in whenever you like, and get your entry in for 2007 :0)
  • Options
    Mangaged to get another donation from school management yesterday.
    It's taken our fundraising for Macmillan past £1,300 !

£100 per mile between us. Not a bad effort.

Legs starting to feel like my own again. Went for a three mile run in the gym on Tuesday night. First three quarters were torture, but after that it settled down. Ready for 7 miles this weekend, then the GCR on 15th :0)
  • Options
    this forum is soooooo busy

Have just found my application for FLM thought I had sent it off - wobbling now due dismal result in GNR (2.57)

have done nothing but eat and be lazy since the big run and realy need to get up and run again...maybe tomorrow.

won't be able to keep up with this once back at work so will just pop in now and then for inspiration!

• Options
    I reallt can't believe how busy this thread is - it's going to be hard work keeping up with it.

I think I'm mostly back to normal after Sunday, although the dodgy big toe is still the same and my right ankle (which I dislocated in a drunken adventure years ago) still a bit stiff.

I managed a couple of easy miles on the treadmill on Tuesday before my spinning class which was harder work than usual, and I got out on my bike last night for about 8-ish miles. I did a couple of miles to the next village then up (a lot!) and back over the mountain - hadn't been up there for years even though it's right there out of my bedroom window.

I'm also thinking of giving the Great Cumbrian Run a miss and maybe having a go at that Hellrunner nonsense in Cheshire - could be a muddy giggle...
  • Options
    Just been for a 5 mile run and with my new trainers (GT2110 same as my last pair - bought them a month ago but didn't want to wear them until after the GNR just in case) - shins hurt a bit but think that may be the shoes but felt like I could run another half - looking forward to Richmond castle next week now!!

The weather is more normal too - great cool running weather with rain to cool you down - am I turning into a running bore??
  • Options
    I went for a four mile club run last night and did alright but felt it at the tops of my legs and my knees werent great. Pleased I went out though instead of being idle. Going to go to gym saturday for a few miles and a bit of cross-training. Was thinking of cancelling my gym membership. I need to save some money (its not that expensive but Im getting a bit desperate), but winter coming up and all that Im not sure. And I like using the weights. And there is a pub next door of course.
  • Options
    Shielsy - The person i was running with is only about 5'4 so i'm not really a giant, wish i was, then i could squish all the people who barged past me!
  • Options
    Hiya, wow - this is a busy thread! This years GNR was my first and I loved every minute of it. I came in at 2.07 and am really delighted! After a couple of days rest I'm back into running as my next half marathon is on the 15th October, the great eastern run in Peterborough.
  • Options
    HA, I'm still ticking over for next weekend's half-marathon.
    I guess it depends what you've got coming up. (Sorry if I've missed that)
  • Options
    Very pleased with my result at 2:40:03. 10 mins over a very optimistic prediction. .... and I could still walk at the end with no significant aches or pains. My only gripe about the starting pens is cos I nearly got my toes crushed by an ambulance. It became dangerous when loads of people were stuck outside the pens making it very difficult for those heading for the baggage buses or loos. and we had nowhere to get out of the way of the ambulance except squashed against the barrier. Also had to lean away to avoid the wing mirror round my head. Must get there earlier next year (accommodation was only 5 mins away from start which was great)(and only £29 per night) But if you get there earlier - you're more likely to need the loo - so do you then risk not getting back into your pen? Anyway - loved the whole experience - back next year. Maybe make that 2hrs 30mins for 2007. Meanwhile, hoping to do an undulating 10k at Blenheim Palace on 15th Oct followed by Great South Run (10 miler)on 22nd October. Nice to meet Parmo during the run. Anyone heard from Neil Howell on his walk ?
  • Options
    RLTW - where did you stay this year please?
  • Options
    RLTW where did you stay - I had a journey getting to the start from Roker near Sunderland and a six mile walk after the finish
  • Options
    Hi XL-man, which half marathon are you doing?
  • Options
    I will be booking my usual accomodation at stoxy towers gateshead. Best just ring my mum to confirm....
  • Options
    PP - I'd be careful about the Edinburgh Marathon if I were you - there are a lot of problems for next years marathon in that there are a lot of political arguments going on between the organisors and the local council. Last year it nearly got cancelled just days beforehand due to no money and the council had to bail them out at the last minute (something like that anyway!)

They want about £40 which is a lot of money to lose if it doesnt go ahead. Personally I'm hanging on a while longer (FLM have in the past offered guarenteed entries as well to people who dont get in through the ballot).

Theres a couple of other threads going on with more details of whats going on if you have a look before you make your mind up.
  • Options
    I was thinking of running the Edinburgh Marathon after receiving an email from the GNR saying I'd get a guaranteed place. My main concern is that it is being held on the 27th May. If that was a hot day it would be a killer! Is it worth the risk?
  • Options
    hi RLTW, glad you did okay I was with you for 100metres or so at about 4 miles I think.
  • Options
    Keep on Smiling,
    I'm doing the Great Cumbria Run on 15th, October.
    As are MandieR and Santa the Mackem
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

Having a boozy, cold ridden recovery week!

Have booked my hotel for next year - New Northumbria in Jesmond. It's lovely - walkable to the start but they do want two nights minimum. People were booking it the morning after the run - although my friend tried to book Malmaison that day and they said the date wasn't finalised until later in the week! Hmmmmm.....
  • Options
    X/L-What do you mean-santa the mackem???
    It does have a nice ring to it,but what would you tell the barins at xmas??? "Daddy, is santa really a mackem???"
    "Well of course he is-he does wear red and white!!".

RLTW-Aye our friend Neil who is doing the walk got in touch with me on Tuesday.By the time i,d finished work he,d gone thru sunderland and was on his way to hartlepool,but he is doing well.

Anyway back to sunday:
    It has to be said that will go down as one of the best half marathons ive ever done.The little hiccup at the finish to get to the start in the morning was the only downside which was a great day.
    Running in a santa suit did create problems of sweating rather a lot.I took on loads of water and lucazade sport just to keep me going.When I got to 3 miles I thought oh my god youngun,you,ve made a big mistake running in this gear,but I just slowed down and started to enjoy the run.
    The crowds along the route were fantastic.I wish I had a pound for everyone who cheered "come on santa".The final mile was superb.I felt I was just gliding along to the finish,no aches,pains or hurt.A tremendous feeling.
    After collecting my gear off the bus it was a 10 mins walk back to the car and an easy drive back to sunderland.
    A great,great day-but never again in fancy dress!!! Oh by the way time:1hr59mns38secs.
  • Options
    any idea when the certificates from the race are due to be sent out?
  • Options
    ST next few weeks they said on web site
  • Options
    Huge congrats Mick - I love your photos!

(Disappointed I never got to sit on your knee though).

Did someone from here run in a Scooby costume? I've just been watching a bit more of Sunday's programme and a lad in said outfit was interviewed, and when he ran off I could see a length of green ribbon safety-pinned to his back, and I immediately thought "Ooh, he must be one of us!" but i can't find him in Vicki's list. Could just be coincidence I suppose.

My legs are almost back to normal, though I do have a pain in my left big toe joint which occurs every now and then. It's so painful I'm walking on the outside of my foot at the mo' ... hope it goes soon.

Wanted to go out tonight for a run now that my blistered feet of yesterday have healed, but got in from work late and have exam in the morning, so I'm just popping in here whilst cramming. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get out there again. I wish the run was only this Sunday :o(
  • Options
    Aaaarrrgggghhhh, this is killing me.

Reading about all you who did it this year is giving me really itchy feet to get back out running. My knee feels OK, but I can't help thinking if I rush my recovery, I'll just knock myself back even more.

Still, when the nights are dark cold and wet, like tonight, I'll think back to how frustratonhg it was not to the GNR06 and use it as motivation for next year.
  • Options
    I saw the guy in the scooby costume at the start, but couldnt remember seeing any ribbon or I'd have said hello.

Just been for my evening constitutional at the track - legs are so much less stiff than the start of the week I'd almost think I hadn't ran at all last weekend.

I'm almost considering doing a spring half, could this be the long slippery slope to hell? I don't want to end up being a running nutter but I feel I prolly already have the bug lol.
  • Options
    Just had a look at my photos - not good !

36848 if you want a laugh. I look like I'm marching to Peter Kay's Road to Amarillo.

Can;t believe the number of posts so far. Not sure what time to put down for next year - don't even know if I will get a place. I had hoped for 2 10 this year and ended up 2 26 so perhaps I should be more realistic. I'll go for 2 20 please Vicky.
  • Options
    Vicki- Could you change my prediction to 1:30?
    RB's comments about Garburn etc yesterday gave me an ego boost and something to work towards