Options

Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Options
    Blimey, i was crying my eyes out! Still well up now when i sit and think about it.

I remember reading a quote on here somewhere, that "pain is temporary, finishing lasts forever".

As i ran around the corner onto birdcage walk for the last 400mts there was a big banner saying exactly that. Thats what got me to the end!

I trained using a book called "The Non Runners Marathon Trainer" from Amazon and followed the 16 week schedule religiously. My mile splits varied between 11 minutes and 11:15 - managed to keep my pace constant the whole way round.

It really is the most amazing thing, i won't go on about it on here coz the others will start huffing and puffing (!!) but there are loads of threads on the FLM forum page. Or mail me if you want to chat some more x
  • Options
    Wow, I have that book on my lap O'Donut! The story about Mark Block had me in tears on the train home from the GNR! I thought the schedule looked very reasonable. Just not sure about running 4 times a week in the dark.
  • Options
    Hello all... can anyone drop in? Just finished 2006 so thought id also join the 2007 thread!
  • Options
    All are welcome Stu :)

I don't want to just 'get round' a marathon, so i figure 5 or 6 years worth of half training will sort me out ;)
  • Options
    sounds about right Vicki, I've been at it 5 years now.
    I WILL get under 1:40 one day.
    despite Sunday's backward step.
  • Options
    Stoxy - my number was 25361. only 2 photos and both at the finish. I always look shocking when I run. Even when I feel fresh as a daisy I still look like I've run a full marathon.

And on that subject - Russell, when I crossed the line I was totally bombed out! I thought I would be ecstatic but it was a really surreal experience. The joy came later and the thing is you realise that YOU did it. No matter how much support etc you get from other people (and thankyou to my hubby for all those long miles on his bike with me!) at the end of the day you cannot do this without training properly. And when you finish it makes all the cold, wet, snowy mornings, when you could have stayed in bed, well worth while.

I echo what Donut says - if ever you want a chat, drop me an email. I went on the sub 4 hour thread during my training and they were a really brilliant bunch of people. Even managed to bump into one of them in the bar of the hotel I was staying in after the race and we had a couple of drinks. A few of posted mobile numbers a couple of days before so that we could try and meet up (London's a big place!) and a lot of folk from this thread picked up on it and they sent me some lovely messages on the morning of the marathon, I was really touched.
  • Options
    Hiya y'all.
    Just done my very 1st half (GNR) in 2.17 and sooooooo proud of myself. I had the time of my life, just wish by 3 kids were there to see me. I've registered an interest for 2007 and I'm telling myself I'll do it in 2.10 or less next time. (We'll see, huh!) I'll be gutted if I don't get a place next time.
    You've just inspired me to try for the FLM now too - you all have a lot to answer for!

Is it possible to double the distance in 6 months tho???????
  • Options
    BoozyBlonde. After resting up from GNR just keep ticking over til Christmas, still doing some long runs. With a 1/2 under your belt already you've got a really good base to build on. New year will see marathon training in full swing, but if you go for it, don't skimp on the training, it's not worth it and you won't reap the rewards at the end of the day. Find a schedule that suits your lifestyle so that you can stick to it.
  • Options
    Hairey Airey - wooo-hoooo! That was a complete guess, brought about because I watched the thing last night from the BBC site. Kudos to me for actually getting one of your posers correct :o)

I've just spent a very amusing hour looking at everyone's photos on the website, and they're great; it's so nice to put faces to names ... MOTR - you don't look terrible at all, you look fantastic at the finish! HA - yes, you do look rather like a Scary Hairy Airey (almost half-runner/half-fly) Blister Sister ... I'd be gutted if I were you, having that bloke holding his arms aloft just as you're crossing the finishing line, thus obscuring everything but your number! Stoxy - you look nothing like your avatar ;O) XL-man - how much money did you bribe the photographers with, to get them to take so many good photos of you??

My favourites though have got to be the (numerous!) ones of Mick the Mackem as Santa - hilarious, Andy Sly as Batman, and Parmo ... that photo of you giving the thumbs up is just brilliant, and probably my favourite one of all.

I however, look like I'm psyching myself up to commit violence! And I was enjoying the run, honest!!
  • Options
    thanks very much Shielsy that was at the start and I was excited if you see the other ones I am Knackered (note though the walking one I was waiting for my brother in law at 12 miles his cramp really got him on the downhill onto the coast road). Still at least I got there and yes it looks as though you are running from the police :o)
  • Options
    at least you didnt commit violence...

good photo of you though I have been looking at work but the server is sooo slooww. Looked at only a couple so far but still the ones I have seen are pretty good. Watched the GNR show last night and I am on from an aerial shot great eh! also wife is on cheering the elites through John Reid road area. last time I was on tv was when I was 12 at a boro football match and a lot smaller lol (damn you guiness)
  • Options
    Evening all

What is it with this running business - you start off doing it for a bit of exercise and end up crippling yourself (thank god for frozen peas and ibuprofen ;0)) Even though I am still hobling round, I am coming back for more next year. This time I am determined to do it properly. Any suggestions on sensible training schedules?
  • Options
    Alan - I don't have the same problem with the gin bottle !
  • Options
    well done everyone on this years gnr , hope you got out of it what you all wanted. i'm on for next year now that dr says hip has not got any worse in the last 12 months.so target of under 1 40 is set already! can antone tell me next years date please?
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

Love your spank me bunches Shielsy! Running's the only time I dare wear them!

My mum's just informed me that I look like I'm in agony in the photos. Can't they take them at the two mile mark next year?!!!

Love all the FLM talk! I did it this year too - also thought, how on earth will I do that but it wasn't so bad and the experience was amazing. I believe that with enough training anyone can run a marathon. It's a totally different beast to a half but well worth the commitment.

Oh blow - I now have the post-GNR sore throat! I'm regarding it as evidence that I pushed myself on sunday!!
  • Options
    HA - you're right, had a similar thing last year, I found that enough beer seemed to relax the old muscles ;0)
  • Options
    No FLM for me till at least 2012, or any other marathon for that matter :P

I'm gonna up my training over the next few months so I'm doing at least 40 miles a week - just for next years half - if I don't get into the GNR i'm gonna do Bristol as my hubby is from Bristol & has family there.

Shielsy - did I see you out running up Victoria Road today @ about 4:45? It looked like you but i didn't want to beep incase it wasn't lol.
  • Options
    Hi Rachel!

The pain (and peas!) means you pushed yourself on the day.

Be proud!
  • Options
    I saw people drinking Guiness in my charity tent I thought they were mad.
  • Options
    Parmo - which charity were you with?