Options

Edinburgh Marathon May 2007

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon All

Gail - I did all my training for Paris with my Ipod but decided to do Paris without it. I regreted it in the last 6 miles or so. One of the people I run with only put theirs on for the last 5 or so and she got a great lift from it. She was singing to herself and started yelling "Come on" "Oh Yeah" which was amusing but I would have prefered my Ipod. Didn't help BF was chanting to himself "My legs are strong, my body is strong...".

Hellen - bikinis? I went swimmer shopping with a friend the other week. I like to think my running suntan marks on my leg distract from the rolls around my belly.

Do you think if we all tried by positive thinking we could turn "the fan" off betwen 9am and 1pm on Sunday? Taking into account the tail wind for the last 10.
  • Options
    Jeez you lot are a load of posting addicts lol ... truth be known so am I but been too busy at work till now!!!

Strong winds sound crap, but lets face it theres nothing we can do about it, all part of character building!!! LOL BUT better the wind behind us on the homeward straight though..... I HOPE.....

I'll be wearing my vest and shorts, I get too blooming hot otherwise. If its cold aswell as windy!! I may pop on an old t shirt till I warm up then bin it!!

Sorry to hear you're out Greg :-( and also I hope you make the right decision Hirsty, its such a tough call.
  • Options
    Steven MacSteven Mac ✭✭✭
    Bad news Greg, but these things happen and it's good you got into Loch Ness.

Hirsty - remember there will always be other races, don't kill yourself for this one!

I looked at the weather on weather.co.uk and that seems a bit better. We all need to remember that when the forecast is windy then the timing of everything can be quite a bit out.

On Sunday I will be wearing my navy vest and shorts irrespective of the weather - if it's cool then I can run faster and stay warm! And if it's wet then they will dry faster.

I am heading to the expo on Friday night about 8.00 with 3 probably reluctant kids in tow and wearing green ribbon - if you see me say hello (sounds like a Bob Dylan song). I have an elegant beard and a shaved head and am quite tall.

After the race I am meeting up with the family (if they get up in time!) and we will probably hit the pub for lunch and a drink so I will hopefully meet some of you then if not before.

• Options
    Greg- sorry you have had to pull out but probably for the best, all going well I will be doing Inverness too! At this rate we should just rename this thread Loch Ness!!

Well just done my last 3 mile plod on the tready, and I am just so excited - I had that playing too!!

After the race we will just be heading home, kids and dog with my Mum & Dad.

Oh well back to putting music on the ipod.
  • Options
    I have been to the haberdashery (fantastic word, so nice to get a chance to use it) and now have proper green ribbon rather than mint stuff. I'm now just trying to work out where best to attach it so it can be seen.

I haven't decided about my ipod. I didn't use it in Berlin, can't remember whether I had it with me and decided not to, or didn't have it though. That was a much bigger race with more support though probably. Also, this time I've gone through and made a play list of inspiring songs, which I didn't do last time so I know if I listen to it, it will come up with something good rather than just something random when it's on shuffle. I think I might carry it - if I wear the shorts I'm planning to wear they have pretty big pockets and it's only tiny (a shuffle) so it won't take up much space and I might just need it.

Of course, the shorts situation depends on the weather, and if I wear my capris, carrying space is more limited unless I wear my bumbag. Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    Keep checking the weather reports in the hope that it might just suddenly change to say nice, cool, overcast with no wind! Here's hoping!! If Sand Demon's forecast for a tail wind at the end is true then I guess that is better than the other way round!

Mmmm, pasta for lunch - again!

Def taking my little Ipod shuffle - just in case I need a bit of a boost. Am hoping the occasion, atmosphere and sights will take me round though!

Hirsty - I have my fingers crossed for you and anyone else with worrying niggles!

• Options
    hmm, might experiment with mp3 & jelly babies in my pocket. It needs a good clearout anyway so I'll try and find something inspiring! I know what you mean about it keeping you going when things get tough - managed london & 2 out of my 3 20-milers without tho. Not even sure it will last 4 hours on full charge! will prob end up wanting to chuck the headphones if it doesnt cos I wont have anywhere to stash them - it's some wee random thing from hongkong via ebay, so too small for any case/armstrap.

Too bad Greg, must be gutted to get so far, but as one who suffers from chest infections, you definitely shouldnt be running with that, never mind anything else. You'd probably add weeks onto your recovery - fingers crossed you're all mended for Loch Ness
  • Options
    LOVE HEARTS, if I've told you once... err.... oh no, didn't think I had. I'll be buying my "Jumbo" pack of love hearts and run with them in my hand... ran NY with them...

I'll be driving around the course Friday afternoon after I've been the Expo... to drop one of my drinks off at a secret place lol...

Think the missus is going to be around the 10-11 mile mark for my first carb drink...

God it takes some plannin'

Pug
  • Options
    I like the idea of love hearts, you'd get to read all the little messages as well as eating them. Now there's an idea, someone needs to make energy tablets with little inspirational phrases on to keep you going. Running related rather than "hot lips" etc!
  • Options
    YP1, hot lips is so much more inspiring though! :)
    Run faster or something doesn't have the same sort of ego boost.
  • Options
    You could get your own love hearts printed out. One for each mile. A suitably inspiring comment on each, plus the expected split, how long to go etc. Or find a very fine pen and some edible ink and .... I like the idea of a private stash of drink somewhere around the 18 mile mark. For the 1st time ever, wife and kids are going to cheer me on - and be posted at Port Seton with my favourite juice and my sonic strawberry gel (with added caffein).
  • Options
    Hi all.
    Weather apparently high pressure over north sea. depends how forceful the coming rain is as to whether it'll push high out of way or not. met office people still not sure and may be erring on the side of caution. Will put updates on as i get them hot off the north sea shipping and helicopter details.
    Bough green ribbon Its a lovely shade gark silky looking green.
    I'll be at expo Sat pm hopefully by 3pm.
    Will run with belt for inhalers, gels, phone/MP3, hankie, sweeties...perhaps i'd better take rucksack!! Hat...for sun/or rain. looked out waterproof jacket this am..can tie round waist...
    Sorry to hear some have pulled out through injury. I was looking forward to carbs but quite frankly i feel too sick to eat much.
    I actully think i have the DTs not nerves as i've never been without alcohol for this long before.
    Cammomile tea would be lovely thanks, Actully trying to force nettle tea down as its supposed to be a diuretic...and I;m pre-mentrual...sods law!!!! maybe also need nappy.....no i wont do that conversation!!!!
  • Options
    Molly, sounds like my waist pack there! I'm def wearing my cap as it'll keep the sweat out of my eyes!

• Options
    Just keep watching those charts - you'll see a sudden high pressure develop out of nowhere as I land in edinburgh on Saturday afternoon. This will then continue to build to heatwave proportions as the race starts!!

- Then around 3pm we will have a sudden downpour and a scattering of snow!!!!

I tell you, I am cursed! - every race I have done this year has been sweltering!
  • Options
    try dandelion tea Molly, nettle tea is just meant to 'clear you out' but dandelion is diuretic.
  • Options
    what time is the actual kick off for this jog? can't see I've seen the official start time lol

Pug
  • Options
    Nice injection of light humour there Pug! Think that's the first time I've actually smiled about "the jog" in days : - 0
  • Options
    if the wind gets up it'll be a crawl lol

Pug
  • Options
    dandilion tea is nasty but dandilion coffee is actually uqite palatable (but expensive)
    got my green ribbon off the market, now need to decide where to wear it, will prob put some in my hair so I can be seen from behind and perhaps attach with safety pin to my number.
    will be going out for my last run when it cools down - it is quite hot in loughborough. now I know it is going to be cold in edin I dont need to run in the sun, will even wear my shorts!!
  • Options
    Update from hubby at BP:-

Well have been quiet here so have managed to get updates from Meteoconsult (Dutch forecasters) Quikcast (Aero forecasters) Weathernews International, and the Met Office

All agree that the situation is totally unpredictable at present due to the uncertain track and timing of the low due to passover (isn't that some kind of religious celebration !!!) on Saturday into Sunday.

General consensus is that the low will be either over the Scottish border or into the N Sea by Sunday mid morning meaning that the wind should come round to the NE by the time you set off.

Strength of the wind should be not too bad, estimates ranging from 3 - 8 kts at 0900 rising up to an average of 10 - 12 kts by 1200 from the NE so it will most likely be a head wind on the outbound leg but fairly gentle at first (find a brick outhouse to hide behind… sorry I'm not running that fast to shelter you !!!)

Temp should be on the cool side anyway and there is a chance of rain but it hopefully shouldn't amount to much.
    Decided NOT to ask Michael Fish to come out of retirement………..it would only tempt fate I reckon.

Clear as mud really isnt it?!!
  • Options
    Me I'm going to look out the window Sunday 7am and plan accordingly. It's shorts and vest no matter what, only decision is whether designer black bag required at start.
    I'll be at Expo on Sat.......for hours. Had strange fascination last year, wandered round and round and round looking for strangers in green ribbon.
  • Options
    i agree with Gillian re- look out window, there is no point trying to predict edinburgh weather whatsoever....

evening news today had an article on race, they said it will be warm

be snowing then...

i'll be expoing it on sat too

green ribbon, tartan
  • Options
    Will that be wrapped round bandage santa?
    Hows i feeling today?
  • Options
    think i might put name on it Molly

its bit sore today, prob cause its very raw after yesterdays shananigans
  • Options
    Santababy I wondered what you was going to Expose then SB, I read that sentance all wrong... *Pug calms down* lol Cold Shower anyone?

Pug
  • Options
    Pug bahave and go and get on that plane!!
    Eating places for sat night in M/burgh.Any suggestions folks?
  • Options
    Daithi B's stupid question of the day: What is an 8 knot wind in mph?

If we got not much of a headwind on the outward leg, and then a strengthened tail wind on the way back, that would be about as good as it gets, I suppose.
  • Options
    yes, the caprice restaurant Molly, call and book now!
  • Options
    Caprice Restaurant

198 High St,
    Musselburgh.
    Midlothian.
    EH21 7DX.
    [ Click here for a map ]

Telephone Number(s) :
    0131 665 2991