Options

Edinburgh Marathon May 2007

Comments

• Options
    Well today has been my first day of pre-marathon nerves as the reality of running 26.2 miles on Sunday has finally hit me. I'll be travelling up from Lancashire in the morning so like YP1, I will only be happy when I walk into the Expo and get my number/chip. Hopefully I can get to meet up with a few forumites over the next few days and maybe even run the marathon with some of you (I'll be in the 4.15 group).

Best wishes to everyone for Sunday and have a safe journey up (or down) to Edinburgh.

p.s. I'll be wearing a blue t-shirt with SHAUN and a union jack printed on the chest.....still looking for some green ribbon!!
  • Options
    sdtoot - Where you from then?, my husband is from Carnforth.
  • Options
    Cotty, Charnock Richard (near Chorley).
  • Options
    Sdtoot - are you doing the Morecambe cross bay challenge?, we are going down for the weekend and I always look for a race??
  • Options
    Cotty, Giving that one a miss although I've heard it is a very interesting half marathon. It took me around 6 weeks to fully recover from my only marathon experience, so a race in late June is a bit too soon for me. I have a shoulder operation next friday and I've been told no running for 4 weeks. My next planned race is the Chicago Marathon in early October!
  • Options
    Steven MacSteven Mac ✭✭✭
    Been to expo, didn't see any green ribbons, but got everything I needed - so now I just need to rest up and get there on Sunday!!

Easier said than done!
  • Options
    Been to expo, number collected, dog dropped off (not at expo!). So me too Steven, just got to rest and make sure all my stuff is together tomorrow.

I also went to B&Q and bought enough paint to re-paint my entire house (except the bedroom I did the other week). Damned if I'm goint to get bogged down in post-race blues!!

I also had a chat with the nice lady from the Loch Ness marathon and she said you can still get a club entry. Not a member of a club yet, but that could be arranged. I think it might have to be the next one when I finally crack 4 hours, although I am quietly confident of a pb anyhow. Dependoing on the windyness factor!
  • Options
    have just attached green ribbons to varous places for expo and race including my nathan 10km picnic hamper!!!
    this may be my last chance to log on
    good luck to everyone and hope to meet some of you over the next 2 days. I am thinking of hovering around the area of the 4.15 group!
  • Options
    Hiya!!

very emotional reading all these good luck messages!

I've been to the expo too could not believe how quiet it was when i was there around half four and then we drove along some of the route but i got bored and wanted to go home(not a good sign!)

Back to sunny Livingston & a chippie and a chocolate gateux for tea so i guess the appetite returned!!

still feel extremely nervous.
  • Options
    Not sure whos logging on after today but id like to say thankyou so so much everyone for all your support over the last few months,Everyone gave me the encouragement,hope and advice that i needed to cope and recover froom my wee injury and the enthusiasm you all ooze gave me the motivation not to give in.....that and wine....i must thank wine for also helping to keep me sane.

well here we all are one more day to go and id like to say a special thanks to-
    soph for giving us the best of advice,many a giggle and even offerring me a new knee joint!
    santababy for her cheery morning greetings and her enthusiasm that just brushes off on everyone,
    molly for being hilarious and my "virtual" drinking buddy and to
    Bungee for all her caring ways &encouragement.

to everyone else thanks so much for putting up with my mad moments and for putting together such a supportive thread full of such lovely people.

Loads love and best of luck!!

Amber xxx :-)(my god am i really running this!!??!?!?!?!?!?!)GULP!
  • Options
    Hi folks!
    am doing edin on sunday,my first marathon! have been looking at forum from time to time, but too scared to post because everyone seems to know much more about this lark than me! did last run last night, now i can't stand waiting for it to start! feel rubbish though, is it normal to feel knackered,overfed and like your legs are made of lead on a marathon taper? eek!followed my schedule pretty religiously too! very twitchy and panicky about it all today!
    Em
  • Options
    Hi Emma. Don't worry about it. Read back a couple of pages and you'll see everyone has been knackered and not at all like highly trained athletes the past week. You'll be absolutely fine. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ok all thats it. bed soon
    Amber cheers love you lots!!! XX
    Everybody else that ive not already mentioned. Thanks for this forum has made the past 6 months manageable,XX
    Feel like crying!! Will cry Sun. defin.

I'll be online with my result hopefully Sun night.

Take care all.
    Molly XXXXXXX
  • Options
    Hi folks, quick hello before bed.
    Oef, what a nightmare getting to the expo, I've driven for seven hours today! And that Lothian bus driver was a lunatic! I have my number and some SIS energy powders for drinks. An extra hundred miles in the car for 20minutes in Ocean Terminal...

Good luck for Sunday guys, see you soon. xx
  • Options
    Morning everyone! The bags are in the car and I'm just shutting the computer down. I probably won't get to log on again until I get to my parents house on Wednesday, so GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, and hopefully I'll see you in the pub.
  • Options
    well guys just wanna say thanks to everyone for help support and knowledge.
    being a first timer this forum has been brill.

i'm so nervous but i have something to take my mind off things today-

cup final day of course- c'mon celtic!

and i also am picking up my new car today!!! pic enclosed as my profile pic!!

not sure who is still on the forum but good luck and
    like nike say-
    "JUST DO IT"
  • Options
    Good Luck everyone :-) Hope to see loads of green ribbons

PEA - Enjoy new car, hhmmm
  • Options
    thanks running ranger!
    had read that this happened before a marathon, but it's still scary when you feel so unfit! feel better to hear a 'real' person say that its normal! good luck to everyone! this time tomorrow we'll all be starting!
    em
  • Options
    Hi all,

Missing my first Edinburgh Marathon this year due to ITB injury, am gutted I won't be there.. good luck to you all.

I'm handing out water at Mile 17 so will see you all there. Good luck, run strong and enjoy

xxx
  • Options
    Morning to all of us who are still here and to those who are now off line... still thinking of you.

This thread and everyone on it has been a fantastic source of knowledge, support, comfort and relaxation when times have been tough. Thanx to one and all...

I feel a bit more relaxed today, realisation of the inevitable lol Just got to believe in my legs now and stop fearing the last 6-8 miles!!!! The mind will overcome the body grasshopper.... :-)

Off to take my lovely doggies to the vets soon for their jags and then some tidying up as I've done nothing all week!! Then chill out and organise my kit and bag for some meant to be long race I've got myself roped into tomorrow at some ungodly start time of 9am!!!

Paul I reckon that's the perfect distracion you have to look forward to today, a new car :-) mine is about to go off the road so am looking for another one, still only an M or N reg (my hubby has the classy car in our house lol, I have the dog mobile) but one that will be new to me and my son who shares it.

Have a great day peeps, the weather is lovely out there today, wish it was Sunday...
  • Options
    Sorry Emma missed you there, good luck, its also my first and the nerves over the last few days took me completely by surprise. All your symptoms seem to be normal either that or we all have some strange illness lol The euphoria at that finish line will be worth it all :-)

• Options
    I'm not running this but just want to wish everyone a fabulous run and hope you get more suitable running conditions than at FLM! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy :0)
  • Options
    Mkes me quite teary eyed reading this. All these people posting off. But I'll be here tonight since you can almost see the start line from my front door, and out my living room window can see the scond mile road.
    Katpye, what a shame but allways another marathon available.
  • Options
    Morning:))

I fly at 1pm, so still some time for posting:)

Look out your front door for a blue eagle around 5pm tonight then Gillian!!

Does it really start at 9am! - You can tell how much I have read the race info!!!

I hear tell some time back of a second race pack - anything interesting in this as it never arrived! Can't see as there would be anything crucial as we collect the number and chip from the expo.

...assuming I make it to the expo!!!
  • Options
    Figured we should bring this up to the front... the prize is still sat here on my desk! :)

The Mysterious Scottish Tenner Prize

Running number + predicted time for boffins mysterious scottish tenner prize!!
    Predicted Times & Running No:-

BendySquirrel 2:35:00 25
    Pugheaven 2:42:00 27
    Running Bhoy 2:49:59 43
    carrot top 2:54:30 131
    Daithi B 2:59:00 341
    cooperclassic 3:10:00 390
    Hillheader 3:15:00
    remoh 3:15:00
    Slow Motion 3:23:00 540
    Fun Runner 3:25:00
    Steven Mac 3:29:00 1058
    Ruz 3:30:00 1171
    NotCat 3:30:00 650
    Racheybabes 3:30:00 785
    Selfish Git!!! 3:40:00 1150
    Scruffy Monkey 3:44:59 1482
    DCB 3:45:00 2404
    Boffin 3:45:00
    Greg McAlister 3:45:00
    Jaggy 3:45:00
    Llamadance 3:45:00 2083
    Molly 3:45:00 1469
    Smiffie 3:45:00 742
    paul AKA pea 3:54:00 994
    Amberskyes- 3.55:03 1448
    SB400 - 3:59:59 2681
    LSD 4:00:00
    YP1 4:03:00 3408
    Gail Force 4:08:27 3821
    Hirsty 4:10:00 997
    Santababy 4:14:59
    Kencing Terus 4:15:00 2364
    COrrin@ 4:15:00
    Gillian Grant 4:15:00
    NeilMc 4:15:00
    Peter Ward 5 4:15:00
    Running Ranger 4:15:00 3201
    Soph 4:15:00 3246
    Gyraffe 4.19.59 4408
    Wobbling Cockney 4:20:00
    sdtoot 4:22:30 3378
    Poppy 4:23:56 3510
    Artic-lady 4:26:59
    bungee 4:29:45 3730
    hellen 4:29:59 3205
    Jeffers 4:30:00 4107
    Cotty 4:30:00 4571
    becca250382 4:30:00
    Jacasauras Rex 4:30:00 3581
    Whiffle Piff 4:30:00
    Mrs Meldrew 5:00:00
    Nise 5:00:00
    CanaryYellow 5:45:00 #5063
    Annie Matilda - after everyone else
    Kirrie Plodder - after Annie Matilda
  • Options
    HI Guys, well for those ofyou still around, its a lovey day here, bit of breeze, not to say it wont be snowing tomoro tho so dont get your hopes up lol

HUGE BUCKETLOAD OF LUCK TO EVERYONE

Ooff to expo in next couple hrs, will have banadage, easy to spot...

SEE YOU ALL IN THE PUB :O)
  • Options
    If you see a blue eagle flapping around trying to find the expo at 4:55pm - that'll be me!! ;)

I'll look out for a green ribboned bandage tomorrow Santababy:)
  • Options
    Santababy you have mail:)

I really must get my wings on motion and fly...

...should have thought of that before, being an eagle I should have flown myself - but then I would be tired for the race!! ;))
  • Options
    that's such a shame katypie! everyone's training nightmare! will look out for you at the water stations, although i will probably be a sobbing, gasping wreck by then!
    thanks bungee! i was amazed too, have run a few 5/10k's before, never felt this nervous. i reckon its all the work you have to put in, plus the fact that you can't practise the distance! have to say, never thought taper madness would happen to me, usually dragging myself out the door!
    will look for the green ribbons tomorrow! don't know if i'll be able to get one myself, am just off to stay at the in laws as they live in edinburgh. will if i get chance though. my number is 4427 though, and i have a red top, (and hat if i need it)! will look out for the green ribbons!good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!cant believe its finally about to happen!