Options

Salomon South Downs Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hilly,GB,TT Wish my fitness level was up a bit more would have liked to do this one maybe next year after flm. am gonna do dublin mara in october though.
    Good luck all.
  • Options
    Hello. Does anyone know whether there are any showering/changing facilities at the end? Thanks.
  • Options
    hi all

sadly I appear to have strained my calf muscle on a training run last night. Not good for my relay squad! Hopefully I'll be able to limp round my stage!

• Options
    Does anyone have any idea how my 3.20 marathon time will convert into a time for this beast of a race?
  • Options
    Andrew,

Last year out of our 7 runners there appeared to be a gain of between 45 & 50 mins.
  • Options
    Will there be a photographer on stage 2 this year, as there didn't seem to be last year. No good as the rest of the team get a piccie, to show their hard effort.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Anyway know if the terrain is likely to need trail shoes after the rain we've had the last couple of days?
  • Options
    There are no showers but you can change in on of the Gazebos at the finish to change. There's running water in the toilets at the visitors centre nearby.

Can't guarantee where the photographer will get to - which I know is a problem for the repay teams, but it simply a matter of economics for the photography people as for this size event they won't make enough in sales to cover 4 photographers.

We will be on the trail all day tomorrow - unfortunately though won't be able to report back. It's not been too wet down here though so don't think there's going to be much change since Mondays visit.

I'm out of touch now until the day - good luck everyone.
  • Options
    just getting my camping gear sorted,I am trying to minimise my load as i will be travelling by train.(but there is only so much you can do without)
    I shall be arriving at QEP tomorrow looking like a pack-horse.Thankfully i have some family who are coming down for the day on saturday so I won't have no carrying to do after the run.
    Good luck to you all.Have fun.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hilly - I'm about 20 miles north of the finish and we've only had a bit of light rain yesterday. The fields near me are still very dry and OK to run on with road shoes.

Even so I'm wearing my trail shoes....
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dustin. I don't think I fancy wearing my off road shoes for a marathon. The longest I've worn them is 15 miles and my feet felt a bit sore then, so I'll stick to my road shoes.
  • Options
    Hilly Im at the start end same story ground is like granite. Its trying to rain but is evaporating very quickly. Ill try and post final report tomorrow evening. Ill drive home via harting hill and get a walk along that part of the course. Its pretty exposed so if thats dry then Id imagine it will all be dry.
  • Options
    Hi All,

I have just signed up for this race at the last minute today, can't wait!

Does anyone know if there is a time limit for the marathon? I will be running with a back pack so it is going to take me 5-6 hours to get around. :P
  • Options
    Hi Firmy,

No limit that I can remember any talk of.

Last year was extremely hot (I didn't take part) and I hear it was quite distressing (physiologically).

Much talk about hydration systems by many people taking part this year. So may be a few back packs taking part.

Due to hilly nature of route times are not going to be fast and past competitors recommend taking the pace easy until Harting Down.

So, all in all, I think you my find yourself with a bit of company at the 5-6 hr finish pace..

SR

• Options
    Cheers Sole, that is reassuring, I was thinking about taking additional water, that sounds like a good idea.

Does anybody know if they sell gels on the day? I am going to struggle to pick any up before the race......?
  • Options
    Hi Firmmy,

Can't confirm gels for sale - they will be available at the 13mile and 20mile drinks stations - again I'm not sure how many we'll be allowed to take but there will be some somewhere.

Also at these stations there are SIS GO Electrolyte available and 2 other drinks stations with water (2.2miles ?! and 23.5 ...)

Hope that helps.

SR

• Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Sadly can't be there tomorrow. It's my fathers funeral today and there is no way I can really get back from that in time. Next year though.

BP
  • Options
    Sorry about your Dad BP ((())).
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    ((Condolences BP))
  • Options
    On the South Downs relay last month there was a choice at Beacon Hill west of Harting of going straight up the hill or following the contours in a loop to the south.

I would be interested to know if this was an option on this event last year and also the route of the loop at the start.
  • Options
    Sorry I meant east of Harting!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

As promised Ive just checked out the route at Harting Down its as dry as a bone. I cant guarantee it will be like that tomorrow but the ground is rock hard and the ater has just run off. You may get some large puddles on route but I think thats about it.

Dickie
  • Options
    Well done Dickie, I will be taking road shoes and trail shoes just in case we have a down pour tonight like is forecast.

So you think Road will be ok based on todays assessment?
  • Options
    I will be running in my road shoes but like you I will take trail just in case. The only reason I say this is when I and my training partner were out a couple of weeks ago the trail shoes just picked up too much mud and weighed a ton. Chalk seams to like the trail shoes.
  • Options
    Well I was warned about those hills but my gosh no-body explained just how sapping they were!
    midway up the third I could do nothing but walk. Once on level ground i recovered pretty quick,only to look yonder as we decend,to see an even bigger hill to look forward to.(such good fun now I am sat comfortably at home.)
    Once past the 20 mile marker i could feel the finish line was within striking distance so i dug in and managed to increase my pace.I felt like i was flying on the smooth ground coming down into the QEP when all of a sudden the rain came down in buckets! It was quite a welcome relief after the heat and i was to close to the end anyway.
    That was my toughest marathon so far.
    many thanks to Mike and Bob and all the other folks I saw bringing it all together.You guys put a lot of work into making these races a success so hats off to you.
    Keep smiling people,they'll be another one along soon I'm sure.
  • Options
    Yeah great race today guy's. Loving the T shirts!
  • Options
    okay who over ordered on the extra water,it came down by the bucket load.
    that said every else was perfect, i had a really good race even picking up a prize for the first 45 to 50 age group.
    i fully expected a pair of socks, what a surprise to find i got a jacket and rucksack,
    see, dont get faster , get older.
    thanks to everyone for making it a fantastic day, allready looking forward to next year.
  • Options
    I done leg 2 again of he relay and that was tough enough. How you runners completed the whole race is amazing. Well done. It was a toughie but well organised and fantastic sceenery, I'm glad I live in the area. I must do more runs on the way.
  • Options
    I'm with you woozlehunter, getting older has its benefits. I crept into the M35 category this year and got a great prize. The last time I won a prize for running was sports day 20 years ago! Thanks to Mike and the team for great organisation as usual - and for having an M35 category in this event.