Options

Salomon South Downs Marathon

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Fantastic day. Glad it was so much cooler than last year and that I was able to follow the course without going off route this year:-)

Nice to meet a few forumites along the route and pleased to finish 2nd lady beating my last year's time.

Many thanks to Mike and his team of helpers for an excellent marathon. Give yourselves a pat on the back:-)
  • Options
    Smashing race. Excellent signage this year - Mike's printer must have been working overtime producing all those yellow backed arrows:-)

Excellent prizes too and provision of recovery shakes and drinks at the finish.

Two small points - I searched and asked for the SIS gels at 13 and 20 miles but was told there was none. Luckily I managed to readjust my strategy and glugged down SIS Go instead with no adverse reaction inside:-) but had worked out my refuelling intake with the gels in mind.

Also maybe a couple of signs on the drinks tables asking the relay runners who have finished to stand clear of them so the marathon runners coming through have clear access to pick out what they need and carry on smoothly.

One great bonus from my point of view was the fact the relay runners set off 30 mins before the marathon this year. I was in 6th place from mile 7 through to mile 18 so it would have been a lonely existence for an hour and a half without the relay runners to focus on ahead. After that there were 2 or 3 full marathoners to pass:-)

Well done Woody and woozlehunter on your prizes.
  • Options
    My 10th and toughest marathon so far, but probably the most enjoyable. Finished in 4:27 which I was pleased with (+40 mins on my average road time) considering I walked all the hills.
    I ran most of the way with a gentleman doing his 150th marathon. Having company really helped and we chatted the whole way - so much so that we actually took a wrong turn at one point (losing about 8 minutes), blindly following the runners ahead who'd also missed a turn ! Entirely our fault I must add as the route was very well marked.

The weather was great I thought - despite getting drenched twice, but rather rain than heat. I also looked for the gels at the water points, but was fine with the lucozade glucose tablets I had as well.

Well done to all the prize winners and especially to Mike G and his team for a fantastic event. Oh yes - and great t-shirts, nice to get one in my size for a change !
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Great event, ran a really steady race to clip 15 minutes off last year's time in 3h58.
    Good to see BR & Hilly at the race - well done on your second places.

Didn't mind the heavy rain, it took my focus off the tiring quads although it did leave my remaining jelly babies in a somewhat sticky mess!

Congratulations to the other prize winners, some superb times posted to get amongst the 'silverware'.

• Options
    What a fantastic day. Really chuffed with finishing in 4.53. Great organisation and great atmosphere. Thanks to all!
  • Options
    I agree with all the comments above - thanks Mike and his team for organising such a great event. How lucky we all were with the weather - the downpours were a relief and thank goodness the torrents of water came towards the end.

Capricorn, I was one of the runners who went the wrong way - that threw us all I think but like you said, our own fault!!

A stunning course and I'm determined to go faster next year.....

Well done everyone. A great atmosphere on the course and camaraderie amongst us runnners.
  • Options
    In my tired state yesterday I went off without leaving my chip. I have posted it back to the organisers.(thats me at times,scatty.)
    I did manage to shuffle over the line in a time of 3:45 which is only 15 minutes off my flat marathon times so I am happy.I have woken up without any sign that I ran 26 miles yesterday-except ,of course,my lovely new t-shirt and medal.Great race.
  • Options
    I'd just like to echo the comments made above. An excellent race, extremely well organised and all those other downland marathon organisers could certainly learn a thing or two from the faultless route-marking. A great t-shirt and a very generous prize list. I was convinced I was somewhere towards the back end of the first ten when I struggled in, only to be told I'd finished fourth. It sounds like quite a few of us less than prolific prize winners were pleasantly surprised. Thanks a lot Mike et al.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments folks, I've just crawled out of bed after a tough weekend and we still have to mtb the route one more time to take all those signs down....I might not be doing much running these days but think I might have a future on a mountain bike:-)

An apology about the gels. SiS sent us down 2 pallets of product and our staff loaded it straight into the van ready for delivery to the drink stations - no one noticed that the gels were not there until it was all dropped off.

We have already got plans for improvements next year. Better parking using one of the BBQ area and approching the finish from the bottom of Butser Hill and coming into the finsih field the other way (slightly down hill finish).

Also seperate marquee for baggage in case of bad weather again. We had two gazebos set up for changing by the BBQ hut but they blew down so we will hire a couple fo more substantial units.

Well done everyone - I though there was a great buzz at the end despite the frequent sprints for cover from the rain.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Mike - do you need the chips back?
    there didn't seem to be anywhere to put them at the finish?
  • Options
    Many thanks for letting me have a badge and a tee shirt even though I had done it unofficially my way. Lovely event, very well signposted, really friendly marshalls. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Had a great day and met some lovely people. Many thanks to the organisers for giving us this run.
    It was great to see Redhead celebrating her birthday in such a fun way, though I think most people would opt for a more relaxing way to celebrate. Well done Redhead you looked really comfortable when you finished too.
    Someone on this thread said the hills weren't massive, but I thought they were! We expected to finish in 5 1/2 hrs or more and were well chuffed with 5 hrs 12 mins.
    Well done to everyone who finished it.
  • Options
    Just totting up the value for money on this one...

£28 entry.

1 tech t-shirt - about £12 if bought
    1 medal - about £2
    2 SiS Go consumed en route and 2 at finish - £4
    1 recovery protein shake - £1
    Water - about £2
    Bus to start - £6 (for non runners so I guess that was the cost price - had to pay extra for this last year)
    Chip timing - £2
    Baggage bus - would pay £3 for this service

£32 worth of goods and services for £28 (even without the generous prizes - a quick google search this morning reveals £100+ worth of kit for me) and a fantastically organised event.

I would have felt just too greedy taking gels as well:-)

Good VFM which we appreciate in Yorkshire:-)
  • Options
    Totally agree BR and well done with the prize.

Could someone post the website for the photos when available. Thanks.
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the event pleased with my time especially as I did no real training because of illness
    Well done to the prizewinners the winning time -sub 3 hours - was outstanding
    thanks to all the marshalls and supports for a great day
    I agree when you break it down it was good value for money
    Any idea where the results will be published??
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    My main aim was to just finish with a smile on my face, not really concerned with time as this year I've been concentrating on general 'base' type fitness. Some of those hills were amazingly steep and couldn't believe how much 'power' type walking was involved (my butt is a little achey from this I think)
    Great day out and crossed the line happy with the way I'd ran.
    Congratulations Br and Hilly with your future wedding plans and finishing postions on Saturday, I was coming over the line as they were announcing Hilly as 2nd lady for prizegiving
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    does anyone know how the after effects of an offroad Marathon differ to a road race?
    I remember after FLM last year I had real trouble with stairs but today my quads and hips ache a lot but calfs and hamstrings feel okish is this because of the softer ground or because I didnt try hard enough? :)
  • Options
    I think the major difference is the hills which means that different muscle groups are being used, depending on wether you are going up, down, or on the flat, rather than continual pressure on the same ones that running on the flat produces.
  • Options
    Agree - my legs are far less mashed than after FLM for the reasons BBH outlines. Maybe that's why some of the offroad marathon people can do them week after week whereas someone racing flat road marathons every week would soon burn out.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Agree too with BBH & BR.
    Never really reached the point where I was in agony and thought "I'm not enjoying this". Indeed apart from the obvious soreness yesterday, legs actually feel OK today. Might even pop out for a couple of miles later.

My mate who's run no further than 13 miles this year, did 4h45 (after expecting 5h++) and said on the way home that it wasn't as tiring as his last marathon. So on that basis shouldn't we all run quicker than on the roads...???
  • Options
    I was definitely less tired and legs are less sore than after FLM and White Peak. Maybe it was because of walking up the hills, but also having the hills and using different muscles on the up and down is less tiring overall than churning out mile after mile on a straight flat road (imho).
  • Options
    Just home
    Condolences to Big Pony

well, i enjoyed this
    nearly 40 minutes quicker than last year(6.35), great companty and the hills definitely arent as bad as beachy head

or am i getting fitter?

Loved the black T shirt

Already done my recovery 2 miles

Mike, please can we have a tea and coffee stop at mile 20-you know, like at the potteries??

I was hallucinating about tea from mile 15

How people do 3 hiours on that course is beyond me
    well done to hilly and BR
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your kind words Hippo and from others. I was really ready for a good run, but then circumstances overtook. Yesterday I was thinking of you all and hoping you all had a great run, and from what I've read it seems you did.

Well done Hilly and BR on a fantastic result.

BP
  • Options
    HaggyHaggy ✭✭✭
    Great day out and very well organized. Found the results on , www.raceahead.net .
  • Options
    Big Pony

you will be back next year
    take care
    x
  • Options
    Superb day out - my fastest off road marathon, only slightly slower than this year's FLM which was not enjoyable. Today I don't even feel as if I've run a marathon.

Great organisation, friendly marshalls and runners and, of course, fantastic scenery. Just need a larger T-shirt that I hope will be forthcoming.
  • Options
    Southdownsman

what size t shirt do you need
  • Options
    we did a team relay and loved it
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Excellent course and organisation.
    Thanks Mike.

I am more sore than expected, but was running on injuries, so shouldn't really be surprised.

Thank you to Hippo, my lovely running bud! Mwah!! I think the hallucinations started around 10 miles though!!!!

Red - hope you had a good run, safe journey home and a gallon or so of champers?!

So, when can I book up for next year?!