Options

Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• Options
    Last one out, first one in.

Good moaning.

I've left plenty of hob nobs, jaffa cakes and some Pain Chocolat but I have to dash off so make yourselves at home. I'll be back tonight so please throw the dishes in the diswasher before you leave and put it on. Ta

(Bliddy Work again eh!)
  • Options
    <<puts kettle on to make coffee, and pulls up nice comfy chair whilst starting on the hob nobs>>

Morning Mr H and all,

How are we all today?

I think maybe some people were at the red wine again last night........
  • Options
    gee MrH...I'm not sure if I want pain chocolate!
  • Options
    Oh Gingerfurball...buena suerte! I did my Spanish GCSE last year. Forgotten it all now of course!

Skinny Jim - Where are you going for your testing? Quite fancy having a go so I can become a bit more technical in my running (instead of just going out for a run at 'a little bit faster than yesterday' pace)....

...and yes I do know Rivington Pike, I can virtually see it from my office window!
  • Options
    Pain au chocolat for me........

Just saying hi to the new thread. Hoping to do NYC next year so probably no Dublin but I can't let it go just yet........

GFB....<whispers>....don't tell anyone......I love ANTM & The X Factor too.......Especially the Top Model eliminations when Tyra pretends to be all sincere...."10 beautiful girls stand before me".....hilarious!!

I'm off now in search of my dignity.
  • Options
    What happened to the planet eating Lexus??? Greenpeace haven't parked an inflatible dingy in front of it again have they?

Anyhoo... 5 series is (in my not so 'umble) $ for $ the best car in the world (at client site today and no pound symbol!). Quick, comfy, fun, spacious, incredible build, holds value well. Excellent all rounder. A mate has a 530d and it's a real object of envy, Mrs A has a 2002 version with a petrol 2.2 straight 6 (badged 520, those wacky germans!) and it's the best car she's ever owned. I prefer the styling of the old version (more Ali in Saville Row than the new Arnie in Paul Smith) but a man of your means probably can't be seen in an older car... The iDrive is a bit fiddly at first (I accidentally b*ggered it up when I played with it) but apparently you get used to it.

They are also as common as muck and driven by every mid ranking sales rep, you'll never find it in a car park and will rarely be let out of junctions. In fact they tend to be driven by people who *think* they know about cars but lack imagination... (yes, like I said we have one!). Colour is subjective but if you are buying rather than leasing it might hurt the resale (black or silver, maybe red are really the only colours for a 5 series after all...)

Audi? S4 is going to be more fun than an A4 but at the end of the day it's a tarted up VW. Audi bang on about design but they aren't that interesting to drive and you will lose a lot of space compared to a 5. It will also be rock hard (esp on low profile rubber) so not much cop on motorways or long journeys. That said it's a bit of a Q car so i can see the appeal...

Personally I'd also look at a big Lexus (if you're not brand bovvered) or a Jag (not that awful X type though). Left field choice for a family car is the Prius.

Be aware if you are buying rather than leasing that you can probably expect petrol prices to double over the ownership lifecycle of teh car. Trying to flog a big engined exec car when go go juice is over 2 quid a liter might not be easy so an LPG conversion (2000ish) will pay for itself in terms of running costs and residual values / ease of sale.

Or you could say sod the family and buy a TR6?! She'll go like the clappers, pull like a train (and I'm not talking torque ladies!) is way better than any washing machine transport and yes I would sleep with one (did I catch all of your no's in that list??)
  • Options
    Amadeus, Given a choice between car buyers guide and playboy.... which would you pick?
  • Options
    SJ, you can have a 12 year old fiesta with no central locking, non-electric windows, non-functioning rear-wipers, moss on the roof and MOT due tomorrow for a very reasonable price?

Come complete with random squeaky noises and occasional loss of acceleration.

I'll throw in the best home-made chocolate cake you'll ever taste....how can you refuse?!
  • Options
    how odd... he doesn't seem to be rushing to reply... ;-)
  • Options
    How can he refuse - I mean, chocolate cake after all!

SL - can I have pictures of naked ladies on and in cars please?
  • Options
    mmmmmmmm..... it's a recipe that Nigella Lawson described as 'dense', 'dark' and 'moist'......

even I can't have more than two slices at a time, it's that rich.... :-)

sigh, if I had time I'd find a photo of a hideous naked lady and photoshop it onto a piccie of my car, but sadly I have to actually do stuff today :-(

ah well......
  • Options
    as you know, us scientific types only involve ourselves in the deeper issues of philosopical debate.... this morning I think the lads spent a hour debating the relative merits of chocolate/toffee/caramel and fudge
  • Options
    Wasn't aware there was such a thing as a hideous naked lady. At least in real life.
  • Options
    Google drew a blank on that one so she obviously doesn't exist :-)
  • Options
    Red wine oooh my favourite.
    Had a glass in a restaurant in London on Saturday lunchtime with a meal and they charged me £5 for it. I could have bought a bottle of decent wine in Tescos for that!

SJ,

Great to hear that you are running O.K. now. Please be careful on that treaddie.

Are we having a reunion in the spring for a half Marathon. Any ideas anyone (not Liverpool)? I fancy a run in York. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    Don't let SJ hear you say that you can get "decent" wine either (A) in Tesco or (B) for a fiver a bottle!
  • Options
    Amadeus - I got forwarded a picture a few months ago of a very very old stripper. That was quite scary. Sadly I deleted it so am unable to share it with you....
  • Options
    I'm no expert like SJ. It tastes O.K. to me!
    Wasn't that Guinness delicious in Dublin. I especially enjoyed my 'free' pint in the Guinness Storehouse with dear old Ron.
    Did anyone get a chance to chat to him in Kennedys? He ran for England in his younger days. Still wants to run another Marathon at 76 (77 next month) but works as a self employed builder and is accident prone. Hurt his toes just a few days before Dublin. He did jog round the breakfast run though. I have a job to keep up with him on short runs when he is not injured!
  • Options
    Ron sounds cool! Good luck to him.

I got my video emailed through today of me finishing. There is around 40 seconds of general highlights and then around 15-20 seconds of me finishing, repeated from different angles.

Just thought I'd let people know how it works, in case they are considering ordering one.
  • Options
    I shan't bother with the video, I have plenty of photos and of course all the great memories.
  • Options
    Hello there folks -

Out with clients this morning so just catching up...

H - My testing I scheduled for Salford University next Monday am. I get it for nowt as a good friend of mine is on the Dept. of Physiotherapy Directorate. It's not what you know etc...

BTW - can you really see Rivington from Cheshire? Wow!

Amadeus - what can I say, I was only after a brief synopysis and you deliver an essay. What a guy! Thanks for your input but I reserve the option to totally disregard everything you have said and make a completely irrational purchase at some future date.

The Lexus we discussed was for Mrs SJ but in the end she did the decent thing for the planet and bought an Audi A3 Sport Hatch (Diesel).

DTB - you just kill me and no thanks, I'm afraid I'll have to decline your kind offer but if there's any chocolate cake going begging I'm your man.

SJ
  • Options
    swap you two cakes for your old car?
  • Options
    SJ Do you know if there any value in V02 max testing for mere mortals like us or is it only something that benifits elites like your honourable self?
  • Options
    Ahhh Mrs SJ obviously has taste (and yet still she married....No, don't go there!)

I would be deeply insulted if anyone ever took my advice on anything. Not least because I would then feel beholden to follow thier advice. However on the basis of "eye for an eye"...

SJ, what do you know of the Furman Institute?

Having gone from 4:23 to 3:37 in a year I want to go sub 3:15 over the next 12 months and qualify for Boston and Furman looks do-able and is highly reccomended. Any thoughts? Any suggested schedules that don't involve triple figure mileages (at the speed I run 100 mile weeks would be the same as doing another full time job!)
  • Options
    Hi Dai -

I would say it's something that transcends all abilities. I view it as generating information that is of personal interest in terms of how your body performs at the limit, why this is the case (in terms of physical factors) and finally how it compares with others of similar age and gender.

As an aside, I did a bit of reading up and generally speaking, runners tend to score higher than most other sports as our activity takes place stood up. Whereas cyclists and rowers are extremely fit, they will typically score lower on VO2 Max as they perform seated.

In th ereport I read, James Cracknell with his 8 litre lung capacity was absolutely whooped in a test by that Radcliffe girl.

SJ
  • Options
    Thanks SJ I'll be really interested to see how you get on and what contribution the results may make towards the way you approach your training.
  • Options
    Amadeus -

Alas, I am of no use to you on that one.

At a guess I'd say American and controversial.

How did I do?

SJ
  • Options
    Dia Lactic, I would say yes. If done properly it can give you a lot of information.

VO2 max testing measures the maximum volume of oxygen your body can process while exercising. Simultaneously they willprobably measure your heart rate, lactate threshold and prehaps orther parameters.

The actual test involves putting on a mask over your mouth and nose that measures the amount of air you breathe in. You should also have a harness on to prevent you tumbling off the back of the threadmill. You;ll have to wear a heart rate monitor. I was asked the speed of my LSD runs and they started me running 2kph slower than that. you run for 3 minutes at that speed this allows your lactate levels to level out. Your finger is then pricked to give a drop of blood that is analysed for lactate content. The O2 levels are measured and your heart rate recorded.
  • Options
    Amadeus -

I will give your question some thought overnight and get back to you tomorrow if that's okay.

Off out for a 12 miler in the p1ssing rain.

SJ
  • Options
    Should you tip your physio? I never have done but today the thought hit me that maybe I should? I don't tip the doc but do give the hairdresser 10%