Didn't think I'd be first to post 2 days running

What: XC
Why: To wup FL and Legionella
Last Hard: Tuesday
Last Rest: Weds to Sat

Good Luck to all Racers today

Comments

• Options
    Almost unheard of for me to be up this early!
    Why: Aim to keep BR in my sights at the Abbey Dash 10K
    Fisty-cuffs FL,Legionella, HMHS!
    Good luck all other racers
  • Options
    Morning

What: Leeds Abbey Dash
    Why: keeping Treadmill in my sights
  • Options
    Morning all,

good luck all you racers: may you all have the run of your dreams.

Happy birthday NZC! Are you celebrating?

What: 70 mins run; mad cooking
    Why: schedule and 9 people for dinner
    Last hard: turbo yesterday
    Last rest: Thurs

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    morning,

nappy birthday NZC! hope you have a great day

congratulation to scobos's men's and ladies' teams in the XC yesterday
    rundown - i heard they were expecting more reactions than average to this year's flu jab based on the mix so it could well explain how you felt

really feel for you simon - one thing i've learned from all my injuries is they will get better but only on their own time scale, hang in there. are you able to do the calf raises and knee dips for the achilles or do they aggravate the SF?

good luck to tom and stickless - watch out for those arrows, and good luck to all other racers elsewhere and in the battle of leeds abbey

what - city of salford women's 5.25 miles
    why - time for a little test
  • Options
    unfortunate typo there - i meant HAPPY birthday NZC!
  • Options
    BRING IT ON

4 and a half hours to go

HMHS you should be careful posting lyrics with the word lawnmower in. You might think you are having a heart attack again.
  • Options
    Morning All.

Good luck to the abbey dashers today and the cross country people too.

Was hoping to do a long run today, but feel the beginings of 'man flu' comimg on so will cut it down to a steady 7 miler and keep my fingers crossed.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Options
    Morning everyone,

Happy Birthday NZC

Racers, Dashers and Bashers (FL,Legionella, HMHS) - looking forward to those reports.

Daughter #2 was at a birthday party at the local village pub last night (expected in at 12pm). Daughter #1 was at a birthday party last night (expected in before it got light). Daughter #2 only caught a bus and joined up with daughter #1. At 3am this morning when they decided to start answering their phones daughter #2 was located and urged to get in a taxi and get home (preferrably with daughter #1 in tow). Finally got to sleep at 4am and awake again at 6:30am to take daughter #2 to work.

I am sat in my running gear and feel cr@p and just don't know if I want to put a foot outside the door or go back to bed.

Kids, don't you just #$*@ 'em
  • Options
    Good luck those racing

What: 25 mins very very gentle

Why: Achilles still tender and beginning gentle build up after 6 weeks out

Simob
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Soda - commiserations on the kid thing! I used to have those sleepless nights with my daughter, but somehow I don't worry so much about my son - he doesn't drink himself senseless for a start! - so I often fall asleep before he's due in. When I wake in the night I go and check and he's always in his bed!

Good luck to all you racers today - sounds like loads of competition. I hope noone resorts to tying their rivals' shoelaces together on the start line.

Mel - enjoy your dinner!

What: 3 hours on the bike
    Why: schedule says so
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: monday

Have a good day all
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    XC is going to be a bit muddy and wet me thinks today.......

Nice to see some freindly, competitive banter, look forwards to the reports....

Have a good day all, wether racing, training or resting.
  • Options
    Outsiders would think that Barnsley AC were a highly competitive, elitist club with all the members racing each other this morning!
    BR vs Treadmill
    HMHS vs legionella vs me

Bring it on!

My excuses today (for a possible poor performance) are:
    a) brain is addled from work
    b) mind is not totally focused on running at the moment...

Good luck to anyone else!
  • Options
    Lyrics, yes, but I had to google them as the band's main successes were a bit before my time...
  • Options
    FL - another one for you it's in a park

Hence BENCHES

My other excuse kids are coming
  • Options
    Looking forward to the Abbey Dash reports!

NZC - Happy Birthday!

Stickless - Enjoy your relay.

Mrs 200 out for a long run this morning & I'm cooking Sunday lunch. May fit in a brief run this afternoon before taking the boys to their water polo training, otherwise a rest day.
  • Options
    Morning!

Happy birthday NZChristine! (You can have another rugby win as a present)

SiT - another injury :-(

The weather here has meant that Shiraz and I have spent the last 2 hours talking about heading out for a run in "10 minutes time". Wind, rain, thunder, lightning and now hail - we're both easily persuaded to do something else instead...

Yesterday, I did get one friend from the running club trying again to persuade me to enter today's Gatliff marathon - I was a bit tempted (it would have been a good kick up the @rse) but with this weather right now I have no regrets!

What: puddle splash
    Why: scottish eighties band, big rivals of Bros, did the very annoying main song in 4 weddings.
    Lyrics: nope
  • Options
    happy birthday NZC

I know the lyrics!
  • Options
    Happy birthday NZC.

What: 9.5 miles
    Why: Sunday, so long(ish) run called for
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Friday

Today was supposed to be comfortable, but ended up a bit slower than I meant it to. Was OK to 5 miles. Sixth mile is almost all uphill, starting with a steep climb, and I never seemed to recover from that. Maybe the gin/wine/whisky combination last night wasn't such a good idea after all (at the time, it seems such a good pre-dinner, dinner, post-dinner thing).

Keep them mowing blades sharp...
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Christine.

Leeds Abbey Dash Report

It was 2003 that I set my current 10k PB of 36:01 and I haven’t come with 30 secs of beating it since. I’ve made a couple of changes to my training routine over the past 3 months with the sole intention of beating 36 minutes today and I was going to be very upset if I didn’t achieve my goal. Apart for the PB attempt it was also an indicator of a sensible goal to set for 2007 FLM. Sub 36 mins would give me a realistic chance to attempt sub a 2:50 schedule. Here’s what happened…

Conditions were cool and not too windy. Apart for the start, which is a bit of a bottleneck, the course is straight out and back, rising about 16m to the turn. A definite PB course. Managed to get near the front, a few places behind BR and Treadmill.

1k: 3:34 – quite happy with this, just a bit faster than my schedule of 3:35 per km
    2k: 3:31 – could see BR in the distance running a lot faster than his predicted 35:45 pace! Treadmill was a few yards ahead of him.
    3k: 3:32 – feeling very relaxed and in control but stopped myself from upping the pace.
    4k: 3:47 – a bit uphill, but still on target.
    5k: 3:35 – 17:57 split. Still a bit of work to do but feeling good
    6k: 3:30 – starting to catch a few runners and benefiting from the 16m drop to the finish
    7k: 3:28 – starting to feel the pain now
    8k: 3:42 – quickly calculated that I had to do the final 2 km in 7:22
    9k: 3:30 – caught a group of 4 runners and eased past them. The final km is mostly uphill so I was expecting some real pain!
    10k: 3:36 – 17:47 5k split, 35:44 finishing time on the clock.

A negative split too. Happy or what!

A few weeks of easy running then it's the start of FLM training.
  • Options
    Nice one Drew.

What - Rode out to the cross country - 30 miles - ran round with the kids, then drove them home while their mum ran the seniors.

Minks - I've been trying to work out what Kit was short for since you gave us your name shortlist, Kit Lambert and Kit Carson were the only 2 I could think of - gave up and had to google it in the end.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well chuffed for you Drew, what an excellent run. Sorry I didn't see you at the finish.

Another Abbey Dash report..

after a frustrating summer running wise I needed a confidence booster. I am only 5 weeks back into training after an autumn break but I decided to have a good go at this one. Sub 40 was the target, something I was struggling to do in the summer.

Conditions pretty good as Drew said, the forecast rain never materialised. Pretty level k's to reach 5k in 19.42, feel ok at this point. Have a dodgy patch at 6-7k but snap out of it. Still scraping under 4 mins per k, sub 40 looks on. I can see Hilly about 150m ahead, and I am slowly reeling in Monique. Just pip Monique in the race for the line, 39.30 on my watch. That will do nicely for now.

'Too many triathlons and not enough running' opined Monique!

Nice to meet the Barnsley bunch post race, Hilly had a solid run, BR was ahead of expectations and appears to be on schedule. Lots of smiles. Well run the pair of you.

Just back from 2nd run, 5.2 miles easy.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The Lyrics are from one of my desert island discs.. an album entitled 'Selling England By The Pound'.

Podro.. thanks for the shout, some very welcome encouragement!
  • Options
    Well done all runners at Leeds so far.

A great result in the junior race at Liverpool yesterday from a some-time poster on this thread who may have run himself into the GB team for the European cross.

Me? 14.6 miles - 7.3 at 6:50 minute miling then 7.3 at 6:10 pace.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,
    Sounds like BR may have had a good one at the Abbey Dash!!!

For me..

Kent Fitness League XC nurstead court, quiet a toughie this one. Very hilly, quiet muddy, twisty section through woods, ploughed fields and a water splash on a 2-lap course, about as hard as an XC race can get!

Nice to see IMSKI once again before the race, I used this race as my weekly third hard session, will make 77-miles for the week overall!

Took the start pretty easy, and slotted into 20-25th place, and started to pick people off on the uphill parts of the course, I used the twisty sections through the woods on lap one to have a break and slot in behind other runners, first time through the ploughed field was very muddy, then I managed to pick off a rival of mine very convincely on an uphill section just after, usually he comes back at me, not today! through watersplash first time, just kept knees nice and high, to stop sinking too deep, still knee high, water was actually warm!!! 2nd lap, I really started to pick my way through the field, I repeated first lap, no one overtook me, I took a different line through the ploughed field, got stung by nettles but seemed to get through mud better, water splash then last 400m dash, up a steep hill then around 200m to the finish line, came home 13th overall out of 300+ runners!

Very pleased with myself considering not easing back, seem to be getting the hang of this XC lark! :)
    Treated to a large slab of chocolate cake by one of IEKS females after the race :)

What:
    am: Kent Fitness League XC - 5.25-5.5miles

pm: 5.25mile easy paced run.

Why:
    Tempo in the am, recovery run pm. I think im making a comeback to my former self circa 2004! ;p

• Options
    Afternoon,

Drew, your PB well and truely thrashed. Congratulations and well run.
    Wardi, good going in bettering your target time.

I got my tail out the door eventually for -

What: 8 x 1/2 miles off 100s recovery with 3.5 miles warm up and warm down.
    Why: vent the anger

Last hard: today
    Last rest: 30 days
  • Options
    Leeds abbey Dash report

The start was at 9.30 but arrived just after 8am to beat over 5000 others to the limited parking in Leeds city centre.

After 3 false starts we were off. As posted early this morning, aiming to try and keep BR in my sights, but his midnight training runs,( ;-) ), meant he had the edge on me and I think I was around 40 odd seconds adrift at the finish. (Sorry BRilly, didn't ask your times at the finish).

1mile 5.34 / 3.27 min/k pace
    2mile 5.42 / 3.33 m/k
    3mile 5.41 / 3.32 m/k
    4mile 5.48 / 3.36 m/k first incline and wind now against us.
    5mile 5.36 / 3.29 m/k
    6mile 5.50 / 3.27 m/k
    the rest 1.19 / 3.27 m/k

Watch time 35.29. Hope the chip time is quicker! Pleased that last Sunday's Barnsley 10k has been flushed out of my system!

Well raced Drew ;-) And BRilly of course. Did you get your PB Hilly?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Well done Drew - it must feel good to have got your pb and now have a goal for London!

Well done to you too Treadmill, and Wardi and Monique too!

Micksta you've been racing well too! The cake sounds good. I could do with a bit of chocolate cake too.

Xerxes - it almost sounds like you enjoyed your crosscountry!

I'm just back from 3 hours on the bike in the beautiful sunshine, to find that my team are beating the league leaders by a goal at half time. Can it last???!!
  • Options
    Whoops; 6th mile 3.38 m/k pace
    17.43 and 17.46 splits. Shucks.