Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options
    Clearly in so much pain i cant spell!!!!!!!!

now=know
  • Options
    Time for my shower as I have to take Kierrah french lessons. Andre has just gone out with his carer.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hipps
    I hope the pain releases soon. Did TMR say which accupunture point the needle was in?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    FOOD
    it is such a bit subject. I didn't give my day's food consumption because you seemed to have gone off the subject.

Anyway, here goes. Firstly, let me say for many many years I followed Leslie Kenton's (if anybody knows of her) Raw Energy Diet then I got bored with it one day. Also I follow a gluten free diet as I have found over the years of suffering from IBS that is suits me best. I avoided wheat for some 20 years before going the whole hog. I was much better with no wheat but it wasn't the whole solution.

I eat wherever possible Organic food, both meat and veg, cheese, yogurt etc.

Right that aside:-

I have a smoothie first thing, which consists of banana, fat free plain yogurt, tsp of the different Omega oils, tbs Neovite (I will give a link at the end of this if I remember), pomegranate juice and a handful of frozen summer fruits.

Then I run.

But if I run later in the day I will have a bowl of gluten free porridge (rice etc) for breakfast with skimmed milk.

If I have run early then I will have a gluten free teacake with butter after the run. Lemon Green-tea

Lunch
    sometimes home made soup and a rustic linseed Gluten free roll and a little cheese for protein. Sometimes a salad of any green leaves, red veg and goats cheese (I love it), also with a roll.

Mid afternoon,
    if I have done a run longer than an hour, I have perhaps another tea-cake. Not always. Lemon Green-tea

late afternoon
    an apple

supper/dinner
    Any meat/fish with veg of all varieties, home cooked meal from scratch, Italian, French Indian, Thai etc etc. with either potato, brown rice, brown rice spaghetti etc etc. Only a desert once in a while.

Late evening another fruit tea-cake. Licorice infusion tea.

I eat Manuka honey, take acidophilus and bifidus.

My weakness if butter. I do not like dry food, it has to be moist. Drink plenty of water.

We buy take-away Indian food after a very loong run or after a long race.

I was part of a test for Neovite and continued taking it afterwards.

http://www.neovite.com/
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that I think that warm food are better for one in the winter than cold ones, hence the making of soups recently. I try to leave my smoothie to get to room temp before drinking.

covent garden soup book is brill.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Food is such a big subject NOT bit:-))
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    One other point before I bore you all silly.

I try to eat winter veg in season, like all the root veg at the moment and calabrese and broccoli and sprouts.
  • Options
    wow

Im not posting waht i eat, but my body is a dustbin ratehr than a temple

Ceal-liver points for hands and feet i think, but i forgot what she said the leg one was-i will ask tomorrow
  • Options
    Breakfast

Special K and semi skimmed milk & a mug of coffee.

Morning Break

Cup of coffee and 3 Go head biscuits.

Lunch

4 very small rolls with cheese and going to make myself a coffee now.
  • Options
    so far
    3 cups of tea and a handful of Doritos
  • Options
    My diet very much depends on my mood which is why I'm off for a fry-up.
  • Options
    I sound like a pig. Those 4 rolls are the size of 1 normal roll.

Kaz

I like a bacon roll.

Hippo

You are getting your carbs.
  • Options
    i dont think it fuelled an hour on a tready though

it was literally a handful

m-bit peckish now
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Maybe Hipps you would lose more weight if you ate more!
  • Options
    Hello everybody.
    comments and replies tomorrow
    but now a long report....

The early morning bike ride was 5 miles to Hyde Park, where I sneakily took part in my club's February Handicap. Determined as I am to run 32 miles this week I hadn't tapered for this race. A day off yesterday but I had front loaded the week with the 8, 8, and 6.5 (with hills).

It was a lovely day, but a fraction too chilly for the likes of me. Leggings, two long sleeved layers plus thickish gloves were the order of the day although I dispensed with the hat. Bit of a mistake as I had to yank my ponytail band back on a couple of times during the race. Wore my beloved sparkly racing Mizunos which felt great but I didn't do them justice as you will read.

The cycle ride was easy - it isn't always - and I arrived in time to do a half mile warm up (not enough I know, but better than nothing) and some strides and stretches. The strides felt a bit lacking, no 'zip' about them, this should have warned me.

Thinking now objectively, I realise I only reached race pace a few times. I was nearly a minute and a half down on the PB I set back in November. My average pace over the 4.35 miles was 9:03 - it was 8:41 for the November race. Somehow I couldn't push it enough. There was a point where I was running neck and neck with a much faster girl who had caught me up and I thought, 'Ah, THIS is the pace I should be running' - it was uncomfortable but achievable. But after her pulling me along for 400 - 600 metres I faded and she zoomed off ahead.

It's okay. I don't feel it's a disaster. I will keep the faith with the mileage. (You and me both, Chouette.) I was also sneezing all morning and have a streaming cold tonight so that will also have a little to do with my lacklustre performance. I hardly ever get colds so don't know where this one has sprung from. It will probably be gone by tomorrow. I was so surprised by the sneezing i thought it was global warming induced early hayfever!

Anyway. I did a good tempo run. There were a couple of fast bits in it. I'm not despairing. Honest. I trust this doesn't sound like the lady doth protest too much.
    I aint no lady!
  • Options
    Sharkie,

Hard luck on your club's handicap run. As you say, nowt to despair about really as also you had effects of a cold, never the best company! I am sure you will fare ok on your main goal the 5k. Look after that cold now, or better still don't look after it :-))
    We have second x-c of series tomorrow so I guess I'd better get me cocoa ready !

Take care. xx
  • Options
    Sharkie
    a cold means you cannot posibly have a hope of running to your potential

What bad timing for the evil virus

ceal-i eat plenty-i eat too much
    :)
  • Options
    Impey!
    How nice to see you here - you're always welcome. And good luck with the xc today - perhaps I better swoosh over to The other Place in case you don't see this message.

Mornin Hipps
    Thought I'd get foruming out of the way early because I'm not online on my main computer here in Dalston. And it's in the other room. This is a useless ploy to get some work done. I am so easily led.... to the web.

Perhaps I will just leave the laptop on sleep....

see what I mean.

How are the ill-behaved leg sisters this am? Praps too early to tell yet. Been thinking, is it worth having bone scan thing just to rule out stress fracture scenario. I know you think it's a likely story harumph. Or is that a last resorrt?
  • Options
    morning Shaaaaaaaarkie

I dont think I would be able to run AT ALL on a femoral stress fracture

Interesting it is just the left leg being naughty-well, on walking, today
  • Options
    I getcha.

Hey - good on you with the driving btw. I feel it's even less likely I will get round to the refresher course now the car is in Hastings and I am in London half the time. It's actually MY car - first and only, but I never drive it.

• Options
    I have yet to drive on my own
  • Options
    Cold has mysteriously dried up over night. Hurrah!
    I have a bin full of tissues and am 4 aspirins down on yesterday to prove I had it but double hurrah will be ok to finish off my 32 miles (just need 4.25)

But first Iguanodon and Velociraptor beckon. No, not forumites.

Later. xx sharkie
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    sharkie - you kept very quiet about that club handicap race!!!
    Of course it was the beastly sniffles that held you back rather than your increased mileage.
    Though perhaps, ever so slightly perhaps, the increased mileage made you a teensy bit more susceptible to the virus. Price to be paid...
    Take care, won't you.

Hipps - how are you today?
    Of course your body is a temple, and you have to give it the offerings it craves, as we all do.
    Remember Susie Orbach's "Food is a feminist issue"? (Nah, you're probably too young). Only eat food you really enjoy, was the main message.

ceal - I enjoyed reading about your very healthy eating. I'm with you on the goat cheese, and tell myself goats (and sheep - I love sheep yogurt and cheese too) may be less intensively farmed than cows so the products have fewer hormones and stuff in them.
    I expect you know about buckwheat? (others may not know "wheat" is a misnomer so it's OK for gluten-free diets. It's actually a grass). I love pancakes made with buckwheat flour and stuffed with goat cheese and sliced apple. Yum.
    Hadn't heard of Leslie Kenton before but went and had a look at her web site. Her philosophy sounds pretty mainstream now but must have been quite radical when she started writing.
  • Options
    But you will. It's keeping the momentum going - the practice and all that. You will. Once it's planted I reckon you're good at single mindedness.

I MUST GO AWAY. xxxxxxx
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Oooh, encouraging health news crossposted from both sharkie and hipps!

• Options
    Chou
    Of COURSE I remember Susie Orbach
    I am over 40 yknow!

(and i remember leslie kenton too)
  • Options
    That's the 4.5 done then. So, three weeks in a row - 32 miles in each. Cur back to 26 next week to make the 4 week average 30.

BUT

What's going on? That was one of the hardest runs I've ever done. Can you more experienced runners enlighten me please? My guess is that it 's because I have still got a cold added to racing with said cold yesterday. I feel ok, bIt sniffly but not very. I'm sure it's not the cumulative effect of the mileage, and I don't usually feel like this the day after the handicap. In fact it's not a sensation that I'm very used to. Legs ache slightly but the main thing is they just didn't want to leave the ground to propel me forward. It made no difference fast, slow, lengthen or shorten stride. I was just going to take it really easy but It was so difficult just trundling along I said, 'sod this for a game of soldiers' and tried a few strides. Ok, but still knackered.

So I lapped the park three times with the widest variety of paces you have ever seen. Anyone watching must have thought I was barmy. i think I sampled all paces between 7 minute and 15 minute.

I wonder is this similar to the sort of unwillingness the legs might feel at the end of a very long race? Hard to describe of course.

I suppose I probably would have been better off just not doing it...
    Hey ho
    Day off tomorrow anyway.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    sharkie - don't fret, it's just the cold and you are right to rest today.

I'm never sure whether to run when under par but in the interests of keeping up the mileage I've been doing it lately. And pleased to have done, because there have been days when I really couldn't have run. Reckon that while it may not actually improve fitness, it's at least good psychologically, for keeping going when the going gets tough.

Googled Susie Orbach and not only is she still about, she's younger than me! Had pictured her as a sort of mother figure.

Well, lots of work to shift again today. Thank goodness for running break later. Things should be back to normal tomorrow.

Y'll have a good week.
  • Options
    Morning

i agree
    residual effects of the cold

Unwilling legs-that is how my legs feel all the time
    and yes-its like your legs are at the end of a long race-no momentum
  • Options
    sharkie - my legs felt like that yesterday. Stumbled several times on my long run cos I was barely lifting them high enough to clear teh pavement. Some days that happens - could be the cold, just over-tired legs or just one of those things.

Tracey - soz not been in touch. Tried one of those tropical gels yesterday (there was one in the mixed trial pack I got) - very strange flavour! Felt a wee bit queezy about 5 mins later so not sure they're going to work for me. Altho' still trying to get the hang of eating the damn things whilst beign able to breathe and not getting the damn gel all over me!!!!