Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options
    Good grief and good morning Hipps
    Do you and I ever sleep? Or are we just hermeticaly sealed to our computers?

I tried to do your link but it sent me round in circles
    Hmmm

Atanyrate how's tricks this morn?
  • Options
    I sleep at my computer;)

I have a thick 'ed

well, its not surprising
  • Options
    Hipps
    I did wonder if you were living up to your small picture last night. Glug.
    Have a better day today - TMR later? xx

PR999/Paul
    Now how would you like to be addressed? I kinda like being able to choose your own alias - probably speaks volumes about those of us who use them. You can change it any time you like of course, but it can get confusing.

Anyroadup: great progress. You underestimated yourself - must have been at least two steps up from comatose after all!

Hills ARE hard work, but fantastically good for runners. I suppose the usual caveats apply - don't overdo it at first, don't start with Everest closely followed by repeats of Snowdonia. You get the picture. You need to use your arms, get up on the balls of your feet and lean forward slightly - but don't poke your bum out. In fact I personally think sticking your bum out when running is one of the key things to avoid - along with sticking your neck/head out like a chicken. But then I'm a bit keen on the old posture malarkey, as I think the way we hold our bodies is a big contributory factor to injury or not as the case may be.

Vomit inducing? We...e..e..ll, the only dry heave factor I have experienced has been doing 400 metre track races for the first time in my life last year. Oh and perhaps similar distance finishes at longer races. All my longer races are still short - but that's what this thread's about after all.

Ho hum - I got to my Mac early this am as I meant to finish off some work and WHAT am I doing?

Right - work.

• Options
    Oh, Paul
    Probably not warped but quite possibly the mildly obsessive type. Welcome to the pleasuredome.
  • Options

(dry heaving.400 metres.hm-sounds warped to me)

not going any shorter than 5k
  • Options
    Hipps
    I have never claimed to be mentally stable....

(grinning wolfishly in the manner of Jack Nicholson)

xx
  • Options
    EEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

time for an attempt at a shuffle
  • Options
    See you later babes, take care.
  • Options
    Never actually got to the dry heaves stage but regularly finish races with the feeling that my most recent meals are about to reappear. That's what sprint finishes when you're knackered do for you!!!

Just trying to wake up and get my head round a route then I'll be off for a 6 miler. I've got so used to doing all my training from the gym - throws me when I can't use it as a starting point.
  • Options
    Please call me Paul... nickname now changed to prevent any confusion.

I think mildly obsessive might be close to the mark! Now I'm doing this, I understand where all of you are coming from! I'd been lurking for some weeks before I started running and thought you were all mad - now I KNOW you are!

I ditched my 8.2km this morning as I felt the 'need for speed' when I set off, so... I turned left instead of going straight on... and went in search of a new 5km PB. I'm staggered at my rate of improvement - I ran 29:47 this morning!

Last weeks 5km - 30:14
    Previous week - 32:48
    First full week - 34:34
    Start week - I could only run 3km!

I love my Garmin and Training Centre software - again, the perfect toys for the mildly obsessive and great tools to motivate me. It tells me that my splits today (rounded) were:

6:07
    5:44
    6:00
    5:52
    6:01

I now understand that 5km is a FAST distance... that was HARD WORK! Average heart rate was high! Give me a long slow run any day!

Have an enjoyable run Hippo and everybody else!

Paul
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul. Wow!! to your run this morning. You do realise, don't you, that you'll probably be even faster in a race? Have you entered one yet?

Hills are fantastic. Could've been a coincidence but I did my best-ever intervals last year after a few weeks of replacing intervals with hill reps.

I bet you're already fit from another sport. Cycling, footie...??
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Kazz - new route is a great idea. I found a couple in Jan and it really helps me to ring the changes.

sharkie - I've let the strength training slide too since my bug last week... I still do my 5 mins' worth, but it's not enough.

Must do some work today!
  • Options
    Well done Paul. Great progress!!!

Chouette - hate running from the house. Got so bored with the roads round here that I have to either drive a wee way away or start from the gym. Have found a route which incorporates the area I've been running round a bit lately (get to look at the posh houses!).

Not much in the way of hills round here so I tend to suffer in that department. Need to do some more hill work - even if it's running up and down the one big hill in the local park several times.

Anyway must stop faffing!!!
  • Options
    Chouette,

I'm going to enter a 10km in May - my plan was to start early Jan and build up to that but I have a 5km niggling thing going on inside me as well - I want to go FAST!! Hence finding this thread.

I actually wasn't fit from another sport before I started running. I have not played football for 20 years and have never run before. I stopped playing squash 2 years ago and was quite ill last year so any fitness I had went. I used to work out at the gym but was scared of treadmills as I couldn't run for more than a few minutes so stuck to weights. All my muscle has gone now too though!

I have an exercise bike (that I used mainly as a coat stand because of inactivity last year!). It connects to my laptop and I can do simulation VO2 MAX tests. My one in December and it said my aerobic fitness was 2/7 LOW - 8.1 METS! That freaked me out. I did it again on Tuesday after 3 weeks of running and it was 4/7 - AVERAGE - 11.5 METS. Blood pressure is dropping as well... something weird is happening to my body! I have more energy and am sleeping less... what's going on?

What I lacked in base fitness, I make up for in determination and that's what's getting me to progress so quickly I think.

Sub-25 seemed 5 years off just a month ago. I now want it THIS YEAR!! I so want to beat 1 hour for 10k in May too... we'll see. I may enter a 5km race soon - I'll get hunting!

I think hills are starting to appeal to me - despite the fact that I know they're gonna hurt. Maybe in a week or two!

Paul
  • Options
    Paul
    I told myself that I HAD to get in under the hour for a 10k in my first year of running. I did it in 59:57. I am nearly 20 years older than you and a woman to boot. (Ooops that sounds like i am an old boot! Praps I am!) Anyway - you MOST CERTAINLY can! Everything points to it. It was determination wot did it with me.

Cor! to the boys toys. I love gadgets!

Serpie 5k - it's the race we discuss all the time because there's one every month. On the last Friday of the month - hence the name: LFOTM.

Enter one now! There are peeps who do it 14 minutes there are peeps who take 35 plus.
  • Options
    Paul - I put off running hills for YEARS.
    I used to design my routes to be as flat as possible.
    When I eventually ventured up the one near where I work, I did find it a bit hard the first couple of times, but very enjoyable/satisfying, and was AMAZED at how quickly I got better at it.
    The best thing is - it opens up a whole new world of routes that you can run!
    I ran a (fairly flat) HalfMara recently, and on the few hilly bits I was overtaking loads of people on the uphills and the downhills (they're an art in themself as well)... then dropping back on the flat, but you can't have everything!
    Ooh, and then you can start entering Trail Races, Fell Races etc - they're great variation, and stop you getting stale pounding the roads.
  • Options
    Not good run today - hope it was more to do with too much leg/abs work in the gym last night than a re-occurrence of the injury but it was really quite painful, at least for the first 4 miles, last two weren't too bad. Quite painful now as I'm standing here typing. Still rest day tomoz before Sunday's half.
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

Did 4 miles this morning. Then been keeping Bernard company as he had jobs to do for his mum.
  • Options
    Sharkie

Got my Hastings number this morning. So I will see you at Mr Sharkie there.
  • Options
    Paul

Well done on your 5k run this morning.

Sharkie

I will have to send of for some more serpies races.

• Options
    Sharkie

I forgot to put the cheque in with my serpies race for May for me and Bernard. So I send Macolm and email and posted the cheque separately.
  • Options
    Tracey,
    It should be ok - if I see him tomorrow I will mention it. I am back in London for a bit now. How's your knee? Not racing this weekend are you?
  • Options
    sharkie

Knee is not painful. How fast is your OH?
  • Options
    He's not particularly quick, although he was a 100m sprinter for his school. But as he points out that was nearly thirty years ago. I think he's best suited to 10k to half distance. He hated all the 5ks I persuaded him to do last year! He then entered the Middlesex 10k with me - in Victoria Park, Hackney and really liked it.

Then he did Brighton 10k in 49:44. If he trained and was keen - he doesn't and isn't - he could be much quicker I think. He is 45. He is back to one run a week now - and the Hastings Half is only about 4 weeks away! I think anything under 2hrs is ok by him - he has lowered his target since seeing all the hills!

How fast is YOUR OH?
    Oh and what's your target for Hastings?
  • Options
    sharkie

Bernard has not run since school. About two years ago he came for a run with me. He could do 10k in about 50mins. He is a natural runner, did a lot of cross country at school.

I put 25 mins on his serpies 5k form. Well he is faster than me.
  • Options
    And when he did that 6 mile run he did it in boots.
  • Options
    My target is 2hrs 15mins. I have to knock 6mins of my pb to get it thou.
  • Options
    Tracey
    I bet Bernard will go Sub 25! How old is he?
  • Options
    Ok - he will definitely go Sub 25 (Mr. Shh's quickest time is 23:17)

Chouette is tagetting 2hrs or possibly 1:55 for the Patis half on the same day as Hastings.

COR!

You will do 2:15 no probs.
  • Options
    Bernard will be 43 on the 16th February. He is 9 months older than me.