Options

First Timer

Comments

• Options
    its great news!
    Soon have achieved your greatest aim
  • Options
    I had indeed checked out the marathon website (how sad are we?!). I don't know if anybody else can identify with this but I've been really tired lately with a bit of a sore throat. It really affects the running though. Supposed to do 6 miles yesterday with 4 fast-ish - only managed 4 slow-ish! No puff, heart thumping away, left leg really stiff and right hip painful. Oh yes- I feel so ready for the 22nd! Not!
  • Options
    it is good news but i often think what am i going to do after this . have had a pretty well awful end to 2006 and start to 2007 and the marathon has been my 1 saving grace . it has proved a welcome distraction and kinda taken over my life ( my god i sound like a running anorak ! ) . while i was out training on sunday i was running well but i kept thinking that i dont want the marathon to come as i have enjoyed the training so much . after i have done it ( and i will ) there is going to be an almighty hole in my life . i cant wait for it to come but there is also a tinge of sadness that it has passed i will no longer be a flm virgin !
  • Options
    Tricky you will be fine. You will be tapering soon and your body will recover so that come the 22nd you will have more energy than you think right now
  • Options
    SBS
    I understand what you mean - I haven't been unfortunate enough to have the bad start to the year you seem to have (i'm so sorry) but although I'm scared and excited about the 22nd I too am wondering...well what next? I think once its done I'm going to bask in the glory for a few weeks and then look to book another race to aim for int he summer...how about breaking your pb on a summer half mara?
    Tricky - I've been feeling like that but (touch wood) have been better this week - take Rio Fairs advice to me - GARLIC...it really seems to have helped as have the antioxidant vits and echanacea...and lots of rest and water....you will be fine.
  • Options
    gossy , glad i'm not alone ! i am running the great north run again this year ( again dressed as a nun - the great north nun , geddit ! ) for charity which is always a top weekend but that is not till september . i ran the milton keynes half a couple of weeks ago in 1-44-32 , taking 5 1/2 minutes off my previous pb , so even if i ran 2 seconds better than that i dont think it will come close to the high i felt that day . the training for the marathon has gave me so many highs it's going to be like going through cold turkey after the race . damn you flora london marathon , damn you !
  • Options
    Oh SBS - hold on in there!!! Take it easy and perhaps just enjoy your summer running for what it is...the high it gives you the sence of freedom and strength...loving the Great North Nun btw!!!!!
  • Options
    Overtaken our lives, yuo're not kidding. My partner is really excited for me to be doing this, but I know he can't wait for it to be over. I think this is the hardest time now, also feeling more time.
    Went to my PT this am and worked hard after no run since sunday ( due to knee), felt fine. Still going to rest , well apart from cycling until Sat. Hoping for a long run then. Oh and I can't stop eating chocolate, such a sweet tooth. What's going on!
  • Options
    It is good to read the positive notes from the last couple of days. I am still resting and champing at the bit to get out. just been to chiropracter/physio godess she thinks I will be ok need lots of massage on the thigh so bought myself some oil. Am fortunate to live next dootr to a lovely lady who believes in natural remedies she has given me a catering quantity of arnica. Fingers crossed not long now !!

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Tammi I cannot stop eating chocolate the last couple of weeks, it's going to come out of my ears soon!

Yeah I think i'm the same as majority of you, will be glad when this mara is over as its been all consuming, and will love the celebrations after, but then it is going to be a little weird. It's been nice having something to work towards. I think perhaps half maras are the way to go
  • Options
    p.s. fingers crossed for all your injuries too. Resting or cross training is defo teh way to go, you WILL cross that line on the 22nd
  • Options
    You might have already told each other this, but are any of you running for a charity? I'm running for the Children's Society and have a louverly bright orange vest! There are only 100 or so of us I believe...
    PS - I love chocolate so much I've found some energy gels "power gel" in "smooth chocolate". Beleive me they are really nice for a run - gives you something to look forward to and they seem to do what they say on the packet - give you energy!
  • Options
    You might have already told each other this, but are any of you running for a charity? I'm running for the Children's Society and have a louverly bright orange vest! There are only 100 or so of us I believe...
    PS - I love chocolate so much I've found some energy gels "power gel" in "smooth chocolate". Beleive me they are really nice for a run - gives you something to look forward to and they seem to do what they say on the packet - give you energy!
  • Options
    oops pressed submit twice...sorry :-)
  • Options
    Gossy I am running for Kith & Kids which is a small London charity helping disabled kids and young adults. I think there are only 26 of us. I haven't got the vest through yet though. They did say i'd get it a few weeks before the race so hopefully it should come soon. Are you having your name on your shirt?
  • Options
    SBS - Loving the Great North Nun. Very funny. Anyone here going in fancy dress?
  • Options
    No fancy dress for me...but I will put my name on my shirt...apparently John Lewis do iron on letters...either that or i'll get created with some fabric paint.
    Not being funny but my charity vest is 100% polyester and I'm worried its not very 'running proof' ie after all the technical gear I've been training in will it wick (or whatever the phrase is!) properly? Or am i just being very a****y retentive!!!!
  • Options
    No Gossy I think the same as you. When i first started running I just thought all the Running Gear was just a ploy to get you to spend more money and I just used to run in normal t-shirts. But then I bought a couple of running ones and you really notice teh difference don't you, dont want to get all hot and horrid, you feel like you can't breath ha!

I dont knwo what it will be like but may be something we just have to suffer?
  • Options
    Gossy try it and see. You can cut the vest and attach the front to one of your own if you are worried. I did that the first year I ran as I had to wear a vest produced by a company that sponsored me
  • Options
    That's a good idea from Rio. Guess as long aso you've got the charity info on your shirt in some way it doesn't matter..
  • Options
    Yeah no what you mean about the chocolate just aten my second walnut whip and I haven't even run for a week!!

As for the fancy dress don't think so I got overtaken by a lucozade bottle at the MK half so I don't need anything to hinder me!
  • Options
    Haha that's made me laugh - can't believe some of the costumes people wear - they must be swimming in sweat underneath them! Good on them though, hard enough just doing the running let alone trying to carry some giant chicken costume on your back.
  • Options
    I'm running for St John Ambulance - got the vest, a tasteful black with their logo on it and 'nee naw' written around the bottom hem! They also provide the iron-on letters for your name. Can't decide whether to have 'Tricky Dicky' or plain 'Richard'. My wife thinks I ought to grow up and stick to 'Richard'!!
  • Options
    Loving the nee naw, that's well cool.

Why dont you have one on the front and one on the back like Rio is..
  • Options
    Richard on the front and Tricky Dicky on the back. That way the forumites will know who you are!

Will have Linda on the front of mine and Rio on the back
  • Options
    I like Tricky Dicky why act your age you're running the marathon !! I was thinking of Forest Gump!
  • Options
    Go for it Sarah! I'm sure we've all been called Forest a load of times after all this running.
  • Options
    well life is like a box of chocolates...particularly minstrals and walnut whips...

will try the vest out first and may well go with your advice Rio Fair...bt w i'll have Jo on the front and Gossy on the back....
  • Options
    Hi guys just to let u all know what i a disateroius time it is for me- i had to pull out of the marathon 2day my toncilitis is really bad and I also have glandualfever which the dcotor advised me not to run it cause it may damage me in the long run
    cheers for all your advice over the last month or so

ian