Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

SHADOSC - had my first session of acupuncture last week - my phsio recommended it and he did it. I cant say for sure if it worked although my knee is a lot better - but that may be to do with the olympic style tape on it now!

• Options
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I'm planning to b at the top of parliament street supporting. Hope the weather is as

Good for you as it was for us at Chester yesterday!

Enjoy taper madness!
  • Options

Anybody else been having lots of dreams about running lately?  Guess whats occupying my thoughts most of the time! image  

• Options

Yes, meimage. Guess what's occupying my thoughts...image

• Options

Alan - hope your busy polishing my medal image

DiogoDog - I had a dream about turning up late but because it is chipped i ran over the start line anyway not a soul about ! bizarre. 

Don't talk to me about weather ! after Manchester mara last year I couldn't cope with it - I still don't know what to wear if it is heavy rain - any ideas anyone? 

• Options

GP77 - you don't need to eat loads but the proportion of your meal should be more carbs, less protein, less fat, and loads of water as carbs soak up the water big time.. I usually end up with a nice little carb belly image to lug round with me.. 

• Options
    Mish1 wrote (see)

Alan - hope your busy polishing my medal image

DiogoDog - I had a dream about turning up late but because it is chipped i ran over the start line anyway not a soul about ! bizarre. 

Don't talk to me about weather ! after Manchester mara last year I couldn't cope with it - I still don't know what to wear if it is heavy rain - any ideas anyone? 

A wetsuit. image

• Options

No word of a lie I did actually see a man in a wet suit and flippers actually spectating at the Manchester Marathon .... and I hadn't overdosed on Lucozade image

• Options

Things are looking up.

Did around 7 miles tonight with around 5-6 @ MP. Knee feels good and no reaction so far.

One light run on Wednesday and that's me done.

• Options

Mish1, I can relate - I seem to have out on just under a 2kg since Thursday, presumably just through a massive cut back in mileage, so I dread to think what I'll weigh in at on race day when I'm carbed up and well hydrated!!!  Someone please tell me that the freshness in my legs after the taper will more than make up for the extra weight - I'm starting to think Tapers are a conspiracy made up by people who train hard right up to race day who then whizz past those of us who have been taking it easy for 2 or 3 weeks!

• Options

Medals arrived yesterday so now you have to do it.

• Options

Do you have umbrella's for all the runners Alan? image

• Options

Yes, what colour / size would you like...?

• Options

Not sure what to wear if it's raining either, probably go with a base layer with t-shirt over the top and just get soaked! ,will get too hot in a rain jacket, although may wear one at the start and throw it to the wife early doors.

3 or 4 miler for me tonight, not sure for the rest of the week just yet.

• Options

Having trained in the summmer I've always trained in a thin Nike Dri tshirt and Shorts

will people be wearing more than this on Sunday? 

I might get some gloves

• Options
    AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Yes, what colour / size would you like...?

Any as long as it's not blue. image

• Options

Those that are abit apprehensive about the weather, i'm sure things won't be anywhere near as bad as conditions experienced in Manchester back in April.

Temperature seems it will be ideal and there is seemingly a 50% chance it will rain in the morning. But a lot can change between now and then.

Besides... the skin is waterproof. I'm sure you won't hardly notice the rain (if it rains) once you get going.

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

I'm having the same worries. Haven't needed a rain jacket all summer (believe it or not!!!) and now remembering the standard marathon advice of 'don't wear or do anything new on race day'. My experience is that rain jackets don't keep you dry, they just make you perspire more so may go with the base layer and t.shirt option king kenny suggests.

In the mean time I'm trying to memorise as much of the race route as possible so I'm aware of water/gel/runade stations.

Hope everyones niggles have cleared up and that we all stay cold free before Sunday.

• Options

Just a running vest and compression tights for me. once your long sleeve tops get wet

they will stay wet, as gramck24 says your skin is waterproof!!.  cant wait for the day now, lets keep fingers crossed that we get the 50% with no rain!!!image

• Options

Sefton Park this morning was beautiful. The mist was hanging a few feet over the grass and the sun was streaming through the trees. Can we order this crisp, autumnal sunshine for the weekend do you think?

• Options

This has probably all been discussed before but where are the main hills/ inclines on the course?  Want to make sure I am prepared!

• Options

Stephanie - Talk about laving it late!  image

The main two are the Queensway tunnel exit between miles 13 & 14 and up Parliament Street as you head to mile 18.

• Options

Thanks gramck24.  Really useful.  Why is that leaving it late?!

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Hi Stephanie, only two gentle inclines, the Mersey tunnel at about 13miles and then Upper Parliament street at mile 18. Both are quite short but both have the advantage that you get a good down hill section with them, so at mile 25 we run down upper Parliament Street which at that point of the race is really appreciated. Last year I didn't really notice the tunnel hill because I was so struck by the uniqueness of running through the tunnel and I was chatting to another runner. UPS was another matter entirely!

• Options

Excellent info cybarev. Great to know you get the benefit of a downhill after the hills.  Bring it on!

• Options
    I'll be wearing my usual running t-shirt and shorts whatever the weather as I always do, even at the horrendous Manchester marathon this year. 4 miles later for me and then thats it except for a 2 mile loosener on Saturday.

Hope everyone is feeling ready for Sunday
  • Options

Stephanie - I would have thought you might have checked out what the main inclines were beforehand and maybe incorporate into you training plan?

• Options

Ah right.  Good point.  I live in London and train in Richmond Park so hill sessions are a natural part of my training anyway!

• Options

I'm not bothered about the hills. I've moved up in the world. Last year I led everyone around on my bike. This year an X5 BMW!! Kindly provided by Williams BMW on Leeds Street. Thank you chaps.

I'll give you the Royal Wave along the route...

• Options

Any chance of a lift Alan?

The mens WR could tumble if you could drop me at mile 25. image