Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options

Jason -fanatastic result mate enjoy your unhealthy food youve certainly deserved it with the effort you have put in these last few months.

Did they speak with funny accents across the borderimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Too..much...pizza....

imageimageimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Just got an email from Welsh Athletics-seems that I won a WAChampionships medal today! image
  • Options

Jason - Fantastic stuff buddy! Well doneimage Hope the pizza was good!image

-----

First post mara run for me today, turns out I'm still carrying a back injuryimage Very strange that it appeared after 2500m running, but not 8 miles of hillwalking or Fridays weights... Another week off for me then.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

That's awesome.  Well done.

((Stuart)),

Hope you recover soon.

OH,

Well done.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

jason - great news! more medals...image

Stuart - sorry about the back. Rest up...

OH nice going

Hi HM

---

5m recovery jog this morning.  Very stiff from the LSR, but things eased up by the end. Still got that streaming cold...

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - the good thing is you've plenty of time to get the cold out of the way before Frankfurt image hope it's not hindering your training too much.

Stuart - i'm tempted to take a bit more time off myself as my achilles is still a bit tight but after only doing 8M last week i'm reluctant.

I got this tightness after introducing sub LT runs in HADD training and easy running saw it off, so it kind of fits that i've got it again after a race.

Perhaps a slow 3M tester tonight image

• Options

Tek - Well done. How many weeks til your marathon now?

Mace - I know how you feel, I only went out yesterday as I hadn't done any running all week. Probably better to rest it up for a few more days.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Stuart - you're absolutely right, that's the sensible thing to do ..... image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Thanks mace.  Ice and stretch, and take it easy until it's gone...

Stuart - 3 weeks to go...just started tapering - so I've a non-running day this week, the first since 11 Juneimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

mace- definitely don't push it- the main thing is to get to the start line....

Tek- Sure that you will shake the cold off-better now than earlier or later tbh.  I'd still keep going if it's above the neck and no temperature...

No running for me today- not much this week in fact- just a couple of slow and short recovery runs (except for a slow 16 on Sunday). Next week is all easy too- then it's taper weekimage 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Amazing PB jason, well done! imageimageimage Loved the report and a medal too, a perfect day out! image

Work today but have the rest of the week off, the longest off work since Amsterdam last Oct imageimage Nice forecast tomorrow so I'll get out for a run in the morning.

Hope all those hovvering around the bench stay off it and Tek hope that cold of yours goes soon...better now than 3 weeks time tho'.

F  

• Options

Jason - brilliant race and a superb time and PB. In the words of Bill and Ted, "Excellent" [guitar riff] image

Tek - no, ended up DIYing myself out, so didn't get out at all on the weekend. N'er mind, will make up for it this week and have Studland Stampede to look forward to next Sunday.

Mace - as Jason says don't push things. Do some cycling or cross training if you're going a bit stir-crazy...

Fiona - Enjoy your morning run!

Fast** 3.5 miles for me today, avg. 6:48/mile.

** note, this is fast for me, close on my 5K pace, but nothing when compared to Jason's marathon pace! image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Well done.

Fiona,

Enjoy your time off.

Jay,

Well done.

• Options
    This morning I have joined the world of London commuters for the day. So glad I do not need to do this for more than a few times a year. Everyone knows everyone but do not speak. Weird, depressing.

Enjoy your running today folks...
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

jayc - that's plenty fast, jason's just a beast image

I know you are all right, i guess i just need to be told image .... i've done 6 months or so of HADD stuff and an extra few days to shake this off is nothing compared to what i could lose if i push it, so thanks for the replies and i will be sensible.

Iced for about 20 mins last night and another 20 mins this morning. Plenty of gentle stretching as well. I can feel it's much looser today, defo not as tight as it has been

But i'm like a caged CHEETAH imageimage 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all....might join you lot on here. Next marathon for me is VLM next spring and feeling a bit homeless as no single VLM thread. I know a few of you on here already (Jason, GazOC).

Brief history - running about 6 years, getting more and more into it. PB for 10k is 38.37, half is 1hr27.33, and marathon 2.58.54 (this Sunday at Chester - very pleased with myself - enjoy bragging about it!). I don't race that often, not a member of a club, run solo, live in Manchester.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mace,

That's good news .

15West,

Good luck with the training.

• Options

15West - another fast one to contend with! Well done on your result at Chester.

Mace - glad to hear recovery is well underway.

AGF - totally agree; was up in London for the Olympics and while I like the tube, I don't like the "need" of constant rushing from most inhabitants. And you're right, you see very few conversations being struck.

4.6 mile off road hill repeats today, getting back in to the usual routine after the training plan for NFM. Missed the HRs  too, I love trail running image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

15West- welcome aboardimageimage

Not sure about fast at the moment: first post Chester run tonight- 4.15m - even came close to running a sub 9 minute mile at one stageimage Lots of stretching reluctant hamstrings afterwards 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona - thanks - still snivelling...hope you're enjoying the week offimage

jay nice tempo and well done today on the hills

HM and AGF - Hi

mace well done for being sensible

15West welcome and congrats on Chester !

Gaz - hope you're ok

jason thanks & well done on the recovery run

---

Weird feeling. No run today, breaking a 4 month streak. 15 mins on the rower insteadimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Welcome 15West.image

Something has finally slowed you down jason! image You'll soon be flying again.

Nice speed jaycm.

Hope the recovery continues mace - you are doing the right thing.

Teknik your body will thank you for the rest/change! 4 months is a long time.

10 miles in the sun today image only 5 degrees but beautiful. Might see if I can get onto the track tomorrow. Holidays are great, we'd all be amazing runners if we could just run and rest and run! image

F

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

No running for me at moment - got the worst case of DOMS that I've had for a while. It was funny that after the notorious Manchester marathon I didn't really ache much at all...thinking it may have been something to do with the freezing temperatures,...?!

• Options

AGF - going back to your musings on London, have you seen this news item. The top window sticker made me laugh image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19858746

Fiona - nice run. We haven't seen any sun at all this week, drizzly rain and cloud is all we've got down south!

• Options

J D, and N P:

Injury F**ked me. Wished I was still here. Serious thread this one,

TraIL runners!!!

How's Gobi?

SR

• Options

Keep on running.

Always respec++++,

• Options

JayC, I found that very funny....thanks for posting. image

Solent, I feel the pain - its very frustrating. Hope its sorts itself for you fella.

• Options

AGF: Injury is temporary, glory is forever.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

SR,

Love that comment.

----------

No running from me at the mo shoulder still playing up a bit however doing loads of stretching.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona nice 10m

15West hope you shake them off soon

Jay LOL image

SR - hope you get better soon. Gobi unfortunately is no longer with us...fell over and something bad to his ankle.  You can catch up with him on Fetch...

HM hope the shoulder eases

---

I should do more of this "day off" malarkey...went out today and did 9m at mara HR (80%max)...turned out to be 8.13mm!!!!image