Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Taper madness!! Did 12 miles yesterday and barely touched the sides!!
  • Options

Thanks Lizzie and Emmy - typical bloke, can't find anything.

Now, where did I put my trainers? I put them somewhere after my last run, but it's been so long since I did it, I've forgotten where they are.

And where's my passport got to?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Weedy - I had the funniest "episode" before a race on saturday night. I woke up at 2am convinced that someone had stolen my trainers. I woke up my friend saying "they've stolen them. They're not here...!!" for them to turn over and say - you put them by the door before you went to bed.... d'oh!

• Options

Oldscotia, I'm flying out on Friday but would be interested in room. How many do you have? Is there one still going for £45?

• Options

Hi all, annoyed I've just this thread with a week to go! Finishing my long run tapering from just over 22 3 weeks ago, 14 2 weeks ago, 10 on Saturday and a little 5 tomorrow before resting up for the big day!

Aiming for sub 3.30, is anyone else really keen to start the marathon now after all the training? Being my 1st one I suppose it may be different.

• Options
    Red_Rach wrote (see)

Knocked 37seconds off my parkrun PB yesterday, just what I needed to put the doubts to bed after my injury. Final decision to man up and go for 3:30! So if anyone else is going for 5min/km then I'll be wearing a green Leeds Uni vest and my numbers 6492.

Also don't know if I've missed this but does anyone know will there be online tracking?

I'm looking at running a 5min/km race, would be useful to try and run with someone else on the same pace if you want to try and meet up before you race. I'm assuming your starting in Area D also.?

Lizzie Bizzie wrote (see)

try this link

http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/app-2/

It's a shame that there's only an andriod app and nothing for iOS. Meh.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Red_Rach wrote (see)

Knocked 37seconds off my parkrun PB yesterday, just what I needed to put the doubts to bed after my injury. Final decision to man up and go for 3:30!

Glad the Parkrun worked out for you RR. Congrats on the huge PB! Always nice to get that big confidence boost so close to the big day. Looks like your peaking bang on schedule!

James Naughton wrote (see)

Hi all, annoyed I've just this thread with a week to go! Finishing my long run tapering from just over 22 3 weeks ago, 14 2 weeks ago, 10 on Saturday and a little 5 tomorrow before resting up for the big day!

Aiming for sub 3.30, is anyone else really keen to start the marathon now after all the training? Being my 1st one I suppose it may be different.

That's a side effect of the taper and why people refer to it as taper madness! From going to high intensity and lots of training you find you have bundles of energy and just want to get out there and get on with it! My wife hates it when i taper - i cant sit still!

You should still run through the taper though - just keep the mileage and intensity really low. Before Berlin last month I ran c. 17 'recovery paced' miles during the lead up week, with longest run at just under 4 miles. It helped keep the legs turning over and the taper madness at bay.

• Options

Hi Tiddy,

Yes, I still have the room. The hotel have confirmed in writing that I may pass my reservation onto another person. There would be no problem as I can email you all the online booking details quickily and easily. It is a real bargain and a luxury hotel. I am only selling it because I cant do the marathon because of injury. If you are interested email me at davidntaylor@hotmail.com. asap.

Thanks

• Options

last call as its so close now, i have a full marathon entry for sale, you can transfer bib numbers online, i can post my booking letter special delivery which you take to the desk at the event to collect your bib/t shirt etc, contact olney_ben@yahoo.co.uk

• Options
    Johnas wrote (see)

That's a side effect of the taper and why people refer to it as taper madness! From going to high intensity and lots of training you find you have bundles of energy and just want to get out there and get on with it! My wife hates it when i taper - i cant sit still!

You should still run through the taper though - just keep the mileage and intensity really low. Before Berlin last month I ran c. 17 'recovery paced' miles during the lead up week, with longest run at just under 4 miles. It helped keep the legs turning over and the taper madness at bay.

I think I'd push it too hard if I did anymore, something I'm normally guilty of doing in training, purely with the energy I feel running at the minute. Going to try and let my sore arch and hamstrings get back to 100% for Sunday! Thanks for the advice though, taper madness is a new term for me!

• Options
    Too cold here for running today - it snowed this morning! Hopefully get out tomorrow for a gentle 4 miles
  • Options

Tiddy,

My email address is davidntaylor@hotmail.com If you are still interested in Hotel accommodation for the marathon email me and I can provide any information you need.

• Options
    Does anyone know if there is a way to track runner progress through the website or over the app? Last year's results are broken down by 5k but are those posted as you complete them or only after the race finishes?
  • Options
    Brett Davis 4 wrote (see)
    Does anyone know if there is a way to track runner progress through the website or over the app? Last year's results are broken down by 5k but are those posted as you complete them or only after the race finishes?

Here is one for android http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/app-2/

The App for the Iphone should be available today.

• Options

Morning everyone

Registered for the marathon awhile ago but got the time off work only recently. Been dipping into the forum every now and again so thought I'd say hi!

First marathon and looking forward to it now. Seems to be a large Yorkshire contingent coming over - we're flying from Leeds friday morning.

Is anyone else staying in the Zaandam area? Had some trouble getting accomodation near to the stadium so hoping public transport is ok on sunday morning.

Good luck everyone

adrian 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Hi Adrian

Zaandam is about 15 mins by train from Amsterdam Central Station. Thankfully the dutch train website (http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home) is in english but do bear in mind you'll need to get from Central Station to the Olympic station too on the Sunday morning.

Last year I was at the underground station before the trains were running but the carriages were really busy and I had to wait for one I could get on. I nearly missed the start, what with having to negotiate the bag drop and then get to my pen in the stadium too. Allow plenty of time!

• Options

Adrian,

Here's some information which will help you. If your staying in the Zaandam area and are planning on using the train network to get to Amsterdam I would use the following to get to Amsterdam Zuid station with is roughly a Km from the Olympic stadium:

http://s12.postimage.org/m8dohsj7h/Capture.png

http://s17.postimage.org/z4kuy8vcv/Capture1.png

http://s7.postimage.org/co0cfjsx7/Capture2.png

The biggest down-side is that your forced to travel into Centraal station before transferring, there doesn't seem to be anyway around that for you. There are actually three stations in and around the area you are staying, just make sure you don't go to Zaandam Kogerveld as travel from there will be almost impossible for you not to miss the start. You could also use the station Koog-Zaandijk depending on where you are in Zaandam, this would be a similar journey to the one I outlined above:

http://s11.postimage.org/6cwk2xu5f/Capture3.png

Hope this information is of use to you. image

• Options

Had a scare at the weekend, left calf really tightened up on my 10 miler, slowed right down to ease myself home, finished with a bit of a knot in the muscle for the rest of Sunday.  But Deep Relief gel and rest and it's feeling much better today, taking today as an extra rest day just to be on the safe side mind.  Less is more this week afterall.

I don't seem to suffer from the taper madness, I seem to thrive on it.  I love the slow runs, the additional rest and the increased energy levels I have.  Only two more days and I can start carb-loading - which gives me a nice excuse for what is essentially my 'normal' diet!!

Was having a read of the 2012 Berlin Marathon thread (advance prep for me wanting to run it next year) and nice to see Amsterdam got bigged up over there.  Nice to know Amsterdam Marathon is held in high regard by so many.  Watched a few You Tube vids of 2011 and really can't wait for the big day now, am buzzing for Sunday already!

• Options

Good afternoon,

I am arriving in Amsterdam Schipol airport at about 17:15 on Saturday evening. I am hoping to pick up my race number on Staurday rather than Sunday morning and was wondering what the quickest way to get from the airport to the Expo is? (I will only have hand luggage so can leave straight of the plane and expect to be out of the airport by 17:30. Looking online it appears as though i can get a train direct from the airport to amstelveenseweg or Zuid station, is this correct? Does anyone have a link to the website showing the train times as I cannot seem to find one.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Paulbakerboy wrote (see)

Good afternoon,

I am arriving in Amsterdam Schipol airport at about 17:15 on Saturday evening. I am hoping to pick up my race number on Staurday rather than Sunday morning and was wondering what the quickest way to get from the airport to the Expo is? (I will only have hand luggage so can leave straight of the plane and expect to be out of the airport by 17:30. Looking online it appears as though i can get a train direct from the airport to amstelveenseweg or Zuid station, is this correct? Does anyone have a link to the website showing the train times as I cannot seem to find one.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

Search for trains between "Amsterdam Airport" and "Amsterdam Zuid"

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone else saw the post on the Amsterdam marathon FB page but

http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/nieuws/omleidingen-tram-en-bus-zondag-21-oktober/

They are talking about the different routes/pulic transport diversion that will be happening on Sunday. Maybe check the route from your hotel/accommodation and make sure that you wont get affected. If anyone needs help with the dutch - let me know.

• Options
    Cymraeg Ace wrote (see)
    Paulbakerboy wrote (see)

Good afternoon,

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

Search for trains between "Amsterdam Airport" and "Amsterdam Zuid"

Thanks CA, the trains seem to depart every 10 minutes so should be no problem.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

I don't know if anyone else saw the post on the Amsterdam marathon FB page but

http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/nieuws/omleidingen-tram-en-bus-zondag-21-oktober/

They are talking about the different routes/pulic transport diversion that will be happening on Sunday. Maybe check the route from your hotel/accommodation and make sure that you wont get affected. If anyone needs help with the dutch - let me know.

Emmy - can you confirm this is just the trams and buses that area affected and the Metro is working perfectly normal? Thanks!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Johnas,

It doesnt mention anything about the metro so it should be fine. Only buses and trams are specifically mentioned in the list.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

that's what i thought. Looks like Metro is the plan again this year then! Thanks Emmy

• Options
    Hi everyone! I'm one of three coming from Dover. Very nervous as is my first marathon but can't wait. Hope to meet some fellow newbies there! Good luck allimage
  • Options
    Weather forecast is starting to look pretty decent - 17 degrees with a bit of cloud. I'd take that
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Temperatures look fine. It`s the breeze/wind that`s more of a concern. I guess a lot can change between now and Sunday.

• Options

Good luck everyone and I want full reports about the course (flat etc) and suitability for a newbie (ie: me!). I took the plunge and entered Edinburgh for my first - not too far away or too much incase I can't hack it!! BUT hopefully this time next year I will not be a marathon virgin and joining you all (if you give Amsterdam a good rating) next year x

• Options

Edinburgh's downhill mostly Karen - no problems!

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what time I need to be at the Centraal Station to get there in comfortable time for the start? Johnas - you mentioned you were there before the trains started last year - what time was that?