Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Yep

I can be the next Bear Gryllsimage

• Options
    Bro - When are you off to Kuala Lumpur? Or does KL mean something else.

Well I was about to wish all the racers good luck this w/end, then I remembered I've got a race tomorrow also, Oops. Standish 10k, a trial, possible hilly race with a 2.30pm start. I haven't got any minamilist trial shoes, so I'll just use my normal adidas Kanadias. With a entry fee of less than 7 quid, it should be pretty low key.
  • Options

Good luck tomorrow Simon. Really glad to see you're getting into racing. Try and squeeze one in every weekend. That's what Forever did and took her half time from 1:42 to 1:28 in 2 years!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good luck Simon.  I think it's today Spoons? Definitely the more you race the fast you'll get!

• Options
    Good luck Simon, should be nice + cool out there for it image
  • Options

Yes it's today. Looks like a nice one. Course record is 34:15 so shouldn't be too hard to beat....

• Options
    Simon - good luck today.

I'm not running today. I cycled 31 miles yesterday with 1600ft ascent. Went to the highest point in west Berkshire. Nice lung buster. Legs like jelly at the top image

This time next week I will be boarding.....
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Can't wait AA! image

Barry - how you feeling today?
  • Options
    Simon- I'm working on a project in KL but not going over there any time soon. Good luck today!

Off to get muddy at the xc.
  • Options

Minni -  Felt rubbish this morning when I woke, snotty nose, but nothing major. Taking it easy,  eating and drinking. Feelings vary from nervous, confident and why I am doing this,  so just the normal.image Just want to get on with it.

• Options

That's pretty typical Barry. Weather here is perfect marathon weather today. Hope you have a good one. You deserve to.

Minni - the poisoned chalice of the Asics super six returns.... I won't be entering that's for sure!

• Options

But..... you should Minni!

Go on, it will be a laugh.....

• Options

Barry it is your mind playing tricks on you! You will feel absolutely fine tomorrow morning and just think of the buzz you will be on tomorrow afternoon once it is all over image

Brolish - how was the cross country? I can only imagine how muddy it would have been with all the rain there has been recently....!

Simon should be nearly the end of his 10km, (after a 2:30 start?), hope it went well!

• Options

SuperSix image yawn ....  last time I followed it it was when USB was in and only followed her coz she's our forum friend.

BarryB: sounds like typical taper madness cold. You"ll be grand tomorrow image

Hope Simon had a good one.

• Options
    Two threads of Minni ? Could we cope?

Will have a look. Having to reveal in public how much cake I eat would not be good ! image

Thought I'd actually put 3-4 pounds weight on the last 10 days after ultra & 2 lots of marathon watching. I have eaten loads. Loads! But no, I've lost weight. Increased metabolic rate maybe?

Circuit last night. Little bit of speed at lunch just to test legs with club.. Mostly jogged but 4 quarter miles in 1:14-1:16.

How was it Brol?

Presume there is the runners world world spin offs like last year, with Gazelle & Shaggy. Oh, got me again. image
  • Options
    Barry- you will be awesomeimage

Simon- yup very muddy, I was in such a state that Mr B didn't want to let me back into the houseimage. Tough course, I forgot how much xc can hurt.
  • Options
    I meant Kiwi not Simon.

FRC- I'm not surprised you lost weight after the ultra.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Getting a bit of Rioja and sun so limited wifi access

Had to pop in to wish Barry good luck tomorrow at Abo. I'm sure you'll destroy the sub3.15 barrier this time and am waiting to see you convert all your hard work into a big pb.

Everyone else carry on enjoying your tapers or recovery.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Simon- oops nearly forgot-good luck in Standish . I'm sure it's going to be wet and muddy not to mention hilly. Any more trail runs in the area planned after this?
  • Options
    Minni- how did the relay go?
  • Options
    Ok quick race report. I'll get my excuses in first. My OH had to go in to Hospital for kidney stones op on Tuesday, so since then I 've been going to work early so I can then go and see her after work, so I been out the house for 16hrs everyday, hence why I nearly forgot about the race as I'm knackered. Hopefully she will be out on Tuesday.

Anyway on to the race. Beautiful mild weather, about 100 runners, organisers said the mud was the thickest, deepest he'd ever seen, excellent (not). Quite a few local club runners, so somehow I set off behind said runners. First mile was on a flat gravel path, checked pace after 1/2m 6.49, oh shit, that's too fast for me, but not a problem, as end of first mile was up a steep hill, so mile 1 in 7.45 pace. Mile 2 was all down hill through muddy woods in 7.19 pace. But that only meant there would be a mile of uphill somewhere. Sure enough mile 3 back up through muddy woods, I saw a couple of people lose shoes in the deep mud. Struggled on the up hills and 3m in 9.28. Mile 4 was a flat narrow muddy path, which resembled more of a V shaped muddy trench along a field so 9.21 pace. Back downhill through the woods for mile 5 in 8.43, but that meant another slog back uphill for mile 6 in 9.39. Last bit 0.14m was back on a gravel path, so 7.53. On the way back to the car, I got to talk to the winner, who said it was slower than last year, and his time was 38mins, so that made me feel abit better.

2 questions, was I a wuss for wearing my waterproof socks, which worked great. Should I of been like a tough xc racer, and just got my feet cold and wet.

Secondly, do I let the mud dry on my shoes, and then hack it off with nearest kitchen utensil. Or do I get the hose pipe on them?
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to add, finish time 53.20
  • Options
    Simon- good running, sounds like a tough one. I was not aware of the existence of waterproof socks. Must research. As for the shoes I normally hose mine down. Well done againimage
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Simon - great effort there.  I bet you really feel as if you've raced.  I don't wear waterproof socks but some of my friends swear by them.  Sealskins, they wear. What kind of shoes did you have on?  It sounds like you should have had fell shoes or trail.  Leave them to dry then knock them together to get the worst of the mud off and the rest will come off when you next run in them.

Oh go on FRC, enter!

2old - are you in some hot country somewhere? image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Simon - great run - sounds lots of fun- I want to try one

Minni-if I told you you know what I would have to do ! Anyway it's not for long .
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Tell me! Tell me! image

Today I did a a 6 mile stint in a local 50m relay.  Slow - 8:50 ish but to be honest I'm not sure I could have gone any faster,  My legs felt like dead weights!

Brol - how was the XC?

Barry - hope it all goes well for you tomorrow.  Like I told 2old last week, you can go into it with the confidence of having done all the correct training and hit some great times on the lead up to it.  Just keep going, HTFU and don't be shit!  Oh, and post as soon as possible! Go, Go, Go!!

• Options

Brolish and Simon- Sounds like you both had fun in the mud today. I'm going to check out the waterproof socks!

FRC- I'll second you to enterimage

Barry- Good luck tomorrow,you have done all the training so go out and enjoy yourself, Looking forward to reading your race report.

• Options

is there any over seas Marathons tomorrow??? Am I getting closer 2old????

Minni- Hopefully your mind was telling you to slow down so you will be ready for your new pb next weekimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

No Gazelle, it was definitely my legs! image 

Which brings me onto last night.  I did 3 miles warm up followed by 6 @ MP.  My marathon PB pace is around 7:35 so that's what I ran at last night.  I can go as far as saying it felt comfortable and a pace I felt I could hold for a sustained period.   I have therefore decided that all being well, and even though I haven't done proper marathon training, build up and taper etc (back me up here Carrot image), I am going to go off at my current pb pace next weekend and see what happens.