Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Hello all

I haven't had much time to pop in here latelyimage Lots happening!

Ten - just reading about your knee, great news that you can keep runningimage

I have been cross training quite a bit as I have had various injuries, enjoying the change but hope to be back to mara training in the next week or two!

• Options

Hi MWW.  Looking forward to all the training talk in the run-up to Spring.  It helps to make the drab winter months fly by.

• Options

Good work, Poohbear!

Got my first run of the Brighton plan in today, just a gentle, sub-zero three miler in the dark to break me in gently... Enjoyed it though!

• Options

Only another 500+ miles to go Wordslinger image

• Options

All this about training has prompted me to start my plan two weeks early! Just an easy 4 miles in the early afternoon sun was pleasant. image

• Options

Well done poohbear, you really are getting faster image 

Hope you're back running again in no time MWW image

More cross-training for me today- yawn! Hoping to be back running again by the end of the week, since I have a 5 mile race next week image

• Options

Day 2 of my marathon program, so it was time to actually do a run image.  Eight miles as follows: 2m warm-up, 4m tempo, and 2m cool-down.

Halfway through the tempo it felt pretty hard, but then suddenly began to feel easier. Weird, but good.

• Options

morning all

well just 5 for me yesterday took just over  48 minutes so pleased with that have another 5 today but my well do them on the treadmill as a recover run

• Options

Tenjiso - well done on actually running! 8 miles for a first run sounds impressive

Toby - I've swapped my days around as well on my plan, so I'll be running Mon, Tues, Wed and Friday. I've never run 3 days in a row before so that'll be interesting!

Poohbear - well done on your treadmill run!

Sounds like everyone's training is starrting nicely.

My 3rd 3 miler in 3 days today, but it was the coldest. Yesterday it was -2C, and it was much colder than that. Beautiful though! I have sneakily bought a new pair of gloves as my hands were numb by the time I got home. Stll, its forecast warm, but heavy rain again by Friday for my long run. Lovely!

• Options

B&T - the schedules I'm following have higher midweek mileage than I usually run early in the program.  It's harder to find the time, but now I've made my mind up, I think I'll make time to accomodate the runs.

Today is a rest day for me, then tomorrow is nine miles.

I keep saying this (and then do nothing), but I intend to sort out my core training and nutrition this time around.  No really, I do.  Really.  Probably.

• Options

Rejoining the thread as the training schedules kick in. Haven't read back on all your progress but will make sure I do. Looking forward chewing up the miles together.

• Options

morning all

rest day today did 5 yesterday on the treadmill as what i class as a recover run which intails walk 1k run 1k and so on

• Options

been trying to start training but now had the vomiting bug twice and now down with full on flu - aches, fevers, sore eyes etc ....thanks kids!!! Think it will be another week before i get started.

• Options

That's what happened to me last year... twice image!   This year, I've had the flu jab!!!

Another rest day for me today.  I ran nine miles at steady 10:20 pace on the treadie yesterday.  Touchwood... my knees fell pretty good so far.

• Options
    Andy -yuck! Hope you feel 100% soon

Toby - well done on your runs this week

Tenjiso - ANOTHER rest day?! Glad the knee's feeling good.

Anyone else officially started their training plan now?

I've completed week 2 ofmy schedule. 3 icy, freezing runs of 3 miles each, then 7 miles in torrential rain today. Forgot to put my HR on, but it felt quite hard which was a little depressing. When I got back, saw I'd been runningat 11 minute miles which is fast for a LSR for me!

2 rest days now - lovely!
  • Options
    Black And Tabby wrote (see)
    Tenjiso - ANOTHER rest day?! 

2 rest days now - lovely!

pot... kettle.... black image

• Options

should have done 10 today but a week of 12 hours days culminating in a 13.5 hr last night  finally caught  with me so had a rest day today will try again tomorrow

• Options

That kind of work week would catch anybody up!

4m recovery run for me this morning.  Looking forward to a decent 12 miler tomorrow to cap off week one.

• Options

Good 10.5 cliff path this morning and managed to stay on my feet this week - so that's progress! Lots of muddy puddles etc but no blood!! Still blowing a gale down here and also encountered hail and rain but not too bad all things considered!

Pooh bear and Toby 3 great running and Tenjiso glad all seems well with the knee image

Fortunately not had any winter bugs (yet) and am hoping to escape them - despite working in a hospital.......dodgy stuff with Norovirus around! 

Going spinning tomorrow - never done it before but should help strengthen the quads and prevent old pre-arthritic knee from playing up as the mileage increases.....

• Options

A twelve miler for me today. tomorrows jog will make 50+ miles for the week - which inluded a day written off due to christmas party hangover !! !!

• Options

Evening all

went out with the Poohbear today for the 10 mile run today weather was cold and got wet at one point when it poured down but all went well until about mile 8.5 when the Poohbear had her first taste of hitting the wall so we walked the last mile now home sat in front of the television with our feet up

• Options

toby3 and poohbear- well done on the 10 milesimage and I hope you enjoyed your evening of rest.

23.7 miles for me this morning and for my recovery I have works Christmas lunch (this usually lasts at least 10 hours)image, so like AGF there may be an enforced day off running tomorrowimage.

Happy running all.

• Options

Hope Poohbear is ok today - did you take snacks or something with you?

Charlotte - well done impressive 23.7 miles already!! Enjoy lunch image

I did a spinning class this morning - never done it before and really enjoyed it!

Well done AGF for 12 yesterday.

Quite excited about it now - may not last long once the high mileage starts kicking in so I'm making the most of my enthusiasm now!

• Options

Nice mileage AGF!

My first official week of training is in the bag.  I ran twelve miles today and am pleased with the way I followed my pacing plan.  5m @ MP+20%; 2m @ MP+15%; 5m @MP+10%.  Nice stable heart rate readings, with the exception of when I ran past a pack of slavering guard dogs - a scary moment which made me feel very vulnerable out in the coutryside.  The noise they were making left me in no doubt what would happen if they got loose.  The Mastiff was standing upright and was taller than the gate holding them back!

Anyhow, that's 33 miles this week in four runs.  Onwards and upwards.

• Options

jelleybaby she fine today thanks for asking we usually take gels with us on these length of run but until i get paid we only have ones that Poohbear dosn't get on with so we never bothered and also she never ate breakfast either so with the no breakfast and no gel and it being the first run of that length for a good while it was just one thing on top of the other 

• Options

Charlotte - do you mean you actually ran 23.7 miles this morning??? image  If so... I'm speechless!

• Options

10 miles this morning with no watch. lovely sunny & mild morning. lanes were very busy with cyclists, horses, walkers, cars and the odd runner. training plan starts tomorrow. 16 week plan, but as I expect to be sluggish over xmas week and probably get a cold at some point the extra week should give me a bit of breathing space!

• Options

I am fine thanks Jelleybaby - learnt a valuable lesson - eat something before going on a run longer than 6 miles and take gels with you just in case!

• Options

I also have finished my first week of my training plan. It was two 4 miles, two 5 and one 9 miles, so fairly easy. Only 17 more weeks to go! (15 weeks of the plan, but I will not be able to do much in the Christmas week).

• Options

Some very impressive mileage bening recorded here! Congrats to all.

Poohbear, hope you're recovered nicely now!

First week of marathon training all done and dusted, including a satisfying 10-miler. My current PB is 4:21:38, so I've a huge amount to do if I want to break 4 hours. Plenty of effort required!