Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options

It is tricky DAve and Tom.  Our juniors have gone ballistic since the Olympics but we're lucky and can afford to hire the track for an extra evening for some of them. We're constantly encouraging parents and members to train as coaches - and will pay for them to do so - but that gets them to Level 1 or whatever it's called these days and what we're desperate for, in juniors and seniors, is people who want to take it to level 2/Coach level.  We also have holes in the field coaching team but gradually it's coming together.  Over the last three years we've gained coaches (word gets out we're looking, we start performing better at National Young Athletics League) I suppose because coaches start to notice us. But it's incredibly hard to get it right.  We all know what we need, but until someone volunteers or the coach fairy pays us a visit, we can't do much.

• Options

And yes, I'm doing 16 tomorrow.  Am trying to think of a flattish route. Then next week 18 image then the week after that its the Bramley 20 imageimageimage.  All feels too soon for a 20. So my runs from now go 16, 18, 20, 15, 20, 15, 20,18ish, 13, 6, 26.2. 

That first 20 miler will be veeerrrrry gentle. The next one hopefully will be slow/steady and the last one will prob be a progression run.

Just need the legs to hold together. Don't think I can run 2 days running for eg.

• Options
    Wow well done Ickle and OMG AH ... am doing a half this weekend .. Feel very behind you lovely ladies .. Hey ho .. That's my styleeee I guess image
  • Options
    AH is that one weekend after another with those long runs ? Any drop backs ?
  • Options

Hello all

Good luck FRC weather looks good.

AH- Looking good your plan looks great

Susan- A half marathon is not a short run you know. image

Good running all. Am very pleased with myself tonight. It was a treadmill but just done 44.38 for 10k 2nd fastest ever and the only other sub 45 was 4 years ago. Ive lost a few pounds since xmas and it is making a difference. 

• Options
    Great stuff Martin. Getting faster.

Great stuff Ikle. Going longer with those TRS legs now.

Good program AH. Nice up & down. 3 x 20 to get that sub 4 looks perfect.

Good luck Susan.

I'm going to take it very safe. No risk so might bail out after 23 or 30 miles. Route is now 44-45 not 50 miles and more on road so more impact on legs. Don't want too much recovery time to affect VLM training.
  • Options

Another 2 miles done. Now down to 19.22 without pushing it.

• Options

Howard... Hoorah! image

Tom - we've got quite a few coaches at the club (need more Junior coaches though) and a few more moving on from LiRF to level 2. There isn't really any competiton near us to tempt anyone away (Bournemouth AC being the nearest) and I think the real enjoyment comes from the environment we have on our doorstep - coastal runs, open heathland, forest trails, serious XC and even the delights of New Milton to charge around.

We are always looking to encourage members to get involved but it's like any club, first intentions are not always met in the the long term.

Just been out for a quick blast around the village - just under 3 miles (7.43 7.24 7.23) - I love my racing flats! I need a 5km loop mapped out... I've never run a 5k race or Parkrun, would be interested what time I can do.

Have good runs everyone this weekend...image

• Options

Mrs Flower has just made the most amazing Carrot Cake - I could easily eat the lot!

• Options
    Find your local park run Dave.. You would blast it! Did my local park run this morning but the wrong side of a glass of port .. Resisted the wine quite well at supper, mates round .. But when the port came out with the cheese I caved in... It was gone 3.30 am by the time we went to bed.. Up at 7.30 for Parkrun .. More of a jog really .. With mates ..and a bit of a fuzzy head, was glad it wasn't the Watford half! Early to bed for me I think zzzzzz

Hope AH 16 miler went well ... And WOOHOO WOOHOO HOWARD image

Good luck FRC speedy MARTIN image
  • Options
    Wrong side of a GLASS of port ... Who am I kidding ....
  • Options
    Can I have some carrot cake please ?
  • Options

D the F, your Parkrun is Poole Park isn't it? I would like to run it one day soon. Maybe late spring/early summer.

• Options

Poole or Southampton.  Very fast in Southampton. 

Can't believe you've never parkrun'd Dave.

I've stuck 15 milers in between my 20s, Susan.  Spose doing 18, then 20 and 20 then 18 is quite tough. We'll see.

My Garmin conked out after today after an hour. I obviously didn't get it charging properly last night. So worked out how long I needed to run for to do about 16.  Had already arranged with AR and J that if I got to 16 and was a couple of miles from home someone would come and get me. (was guessing a bit with my route planning). But I didn't reeeeally know how far I'd been and thought I was running quite slowly so ran home. Worked out it was 17.5 in about 3 hours.

Well pleased with that and was ok, but my poor little legs felt every step on the road for the last three miles or so. They're just not used to it.  But that's why we're training, eh? image

And what a beautiful day to be outside. image

• Options

Dave - are you going to do the xc at Salisbury on SAturday? (9th i think). Last of the season. Good course. Is always sunny.

Mens race is the last of the day so you get lots of cheers. J will be doing it.

• Options
    18, 20, 20, 18 in consecutive weekends ?
  • Options
    On i pad so have no smiley faces with eyebrows going up into hairline but please insert one at the end of my last post ....
  • Options

Spotted FRC this morning at the exciting intersection of the parkrun finish and part of the revised Thames Trot route! 

• Options
    Wonder how far he has got ....
  • Options
    Friend of ours just popped round for second half of rugby .. Brought carrot cake ! Must have read my TOTP ...
  • Options
    Beautiful day for a 16 miler. I too really felt the last couple of miles but feel pretty good now. The good news from the week has been that I am fitter than I thought!
  • Options

Well done, Alexander. It's exciting when it all comes together!

• Options

Don't be silly Susan. You must be going blind in your old age.

12 (last week), 16, 18, 20, 15, 20, 15, 20 etc. image Sighs.

Great stuf Alexander. Erm - why are you shouting? image

• Options
    Yes AH that's what I thought!
  • Options
    Alexander not shouting on mine.. Not blind AH just read your post that said "spose doing 18 and 20 and 20 and 18 would be quite tough" ...image

Night
  • Options
    I mean the bit about long runs with gaps...
  • Options
    It's just the name in caps I think...
  • Options
    Actually Susan I had finished by 5:30. image (ps on iPad you just need to know the codes to get smilies)

Just (cough) refuelling with food & some beers. And more food. That's after a fair bit of fruit cake whilst running too.

Some terrible mud areas that they wouldn't even bother with in a XC race and that was all in the first 8 miles, with more later. As for the completely flooded bits at 33-36 miles... you just had to run through, the water touched the edge of my shorts. Freezing. Like an ice bath. And still 12 miles to go.

44-45 miles in 8 hours. Think that's my long run done for a week or so. Definitely a kickback next weekend for meimage

Nice relax in the hotel jacuzzi and spa after, iced legs in the pool too.

Did I mention food?

Oh yes, lovely to see Fido too about 5-6 miles.
  • Options
    Oh and I've never park runned either image

Fido offered coffee to tempt me though.