Options

Entry date for London marathon 2014 to get into ballot?

Comments

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Championship start is sub 3.15 for women.

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

surprised that Paris and London are on the same day next year.

• Options

Me too.........can't be right surely ?? London will never be on 20th as Easter Sunday.....

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Found one mention that London is 13th not 20th next year.

Forget that, another site says 20th so who knows!

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
  • Options

It's now been released as 29th. Good luck everyone! 

• Options

Yep that media guide linked on page 2 of this thread has

Ballot opens 29th April 2013

Date of marathon - 13th April 2014 (not the 20th as on a lot of sites).

• Options

it amazes me how fast it fills up, 

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't understand why they have a limit on entries to the ballot.

It's all computerised (I presume), so why not just open it for a set period, and let everyone who wants to apply, then select the lucky 20,000 (or however many) from all the applications?

My guess is that they like the hype that the current system produces!

• Options
    legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Not sure about that Wilkie / DF - it's hard enough to get in with the ballot without there being potentially quarter of million or more entries. Saying this, it is harsh on people who might be away / working next Monday and genuinely can't go online to enter until it's too late.

3rd year for me. Hopefully third time lucky!?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Also why have the ballot for the following year so close to the race? I bet you can weed out a few of the pointless entries simply by opening it on the 1st of July for example. Anyone who really wants to do it will be able to remember that during the first week of July the ballot is open for 7 days.

Maybe, they would then go out and run before entering and either think "Yes, I can do this training malarky" or they may go "Sod this, I am missing Eastenders and not enter, therefore a place is not wasted on them"

• Options

Note to self: don't enter again. It's quite easy. Just don't click on anything....image 

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

In the old days, when you had to fill in a paper form, the forms used to appear in sports shops in August, I think.

It was over-subscribed then, too,  

Entries for the ballot were limited by the number of forms printed, and no doubt some people were put off entering by having to get off the sofa and go and find an entry form.

Oh, the good old days... image

• Options

Is it still the case that if you applied two years running and didnt get a place you'll automatically get on in the thrid year?

I failed in the 2012 and 2013 ballot.

• Options

As in I understand it they've scrapped that system - all get an equal chance.

Most running clubs get spaces, normally anyone with a failed ballot letter sticks it in a hat, first one out gets a spot.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    The Bald Assasin wrote (see)

Is it still the case that if you applied two years running and didnt get a place you'll automatically get on in the thrid year?

I failed in the 2012 and 2013 ballot.

It was five years, rather than two, but they've stopped it in any case.

• Options
    legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Would be interested to hear what criteria some of your running clubs have for the 'club place'. Is it literally anyone who got rejected and would like to included are just drawn of out of a hat or more than that? I did a quick Google search and found one club that had a list of criteria such as 'must be paid up member for x amount of time', 'competed in at least x amount of races for club', 'contributed to club by marshalling or other way', 'must prove they entered ballot and were rejected' etc.

I ask because I'm part of a small newly set up club and I think we'll only be allocated one place, but at the moment we're not sure how we're going to decide who gets it. Obviously a while off yet, but would be good to get an idea in advance and let members know what's expected if they want to be in with a chance. I favour the 'as much criteria as possible' option to stop people joining last minute to be in with a chance.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

legend, I think your criteria depend on what you want people to contribute to the club. I don't think mine has a length of time you have to be a member for, but it does have a minimum number of races in the club calendar you should have done for the club (so you'd have to have been a member for long enough to have done them, I suppose). I think it's mostly because people don't turn out for that many races and we'd like it if they did. Also you have to have entered the ballot and been rejected.

• Options
    I found this interesting. It may answer some questions!?

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/london-marathon-2014-ballot-how-1845266

Good luck!
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    legend777 wrote (see)

Would be interested to hear what criteria some of your running clubs have for the 'club place'. 

At my small club we have a draw among people who entered the ballot and were rejected (must provide the rejection thingy), and who have been a member of the club for twelve months or more at the time of the draw (November).

You can't take it two years in a row.

We also draw a 'first reserve' for if the winner gets injured before the cut-off for swapping.

• Options

Legs still ache.

4th in a row.

4 down, 46 to go. (2010-2060)

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    How do you know you will get in every year?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Honestly Millsy, there are other marathons,  you know. image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Of course I know there are others. Just wondering how Paul will get in every year.

I really enjoyed London this year going from pen 2 from FGFA.

Did it 3 yrs ago from pen 4 and hated nearly every minute of it.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Of course I know there are others. Just wondering how Paul will get in every year.

I really enjoyed London this year going from pen 2 from FGFA.

Did it 3 yrs ago from pen 4 and hated nearly every minute of it.
  • Options

Does anybody know if the championship entry requirements are likely to be the same for 2014 as they were for this year, i.e. sub 2.45 for men, and if so when entries normally open?

I was lucky enough to run sub 2.45 (just, 2.44.52) at Boston last week and fancy running London next year.