Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

TS, you could cover around half of them with a trip to Colorado! Good compromise on today's run.

6.33 forest run today. That got me to 100 miles for the month so far - third month running of 100+ image

Weather has gone downhill since then, and I've needed a scarf and fleece! Forecast for tomorrow at Brockenhurst is better.

Glad to hear you slept well and are feeling a little better aws.

Columba, I'm sure there are just days like that with swimming, as there are with running.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Aws - cows have arrived.

TS - thank you for the mountain running pix. I can't think progress would be very fast, even apart from the gradients, as the views would be so beguiling.

NRD. Have been walking around Ludlow in blustery winds while my car was being serviced. Took scarf and gloves with me, and needed them, though had to hang onto my scarf ends as it kept threatening to blow away.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Just back from Stratford. Will post later but just wanted to tell aws I was sorry to hear about your nasty fall. Thank goodness it wasn't a lot worse. Bad enough, I know, but at least no broken bones.

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

The weather not so great here either.

Torque Steer - amazing pics - you'd have to be pretty fit to run on that terrain!

Aws - neat Cows!

Cornwall Parkrun 5km again. It takes a bit of will power to get up early to race at 8 am - the body really doesn't feel like it.

Fastest time yet - 24.01  81.96% agegrading. Unfortunely thrashed by another W60 lady - she did 23.33 for 82.38

Average heart rate 159 max heart heart 177 so cetainly pushing myself.

• Options

Inaugural Brockenhurst parkrun went off well with 113 runners. I came first in my age group! This was a first of being first, although it wasn't first among many. My daughter thorougly enjoyed it, and came in in 25:17, so is determined to get under 25 minutes next time. I was very pleased with how it went, and hope it goes from strength to strength. We had 31 runners doing their first ever parkrun, so hopefully more newbies will hear of it and give it a go. The grandsons were in attendance and very vocal with shouts of "well done runners!" which were much appreciated by many.

We got very little rain, so having cleaned the water butt and fitted a new tap, we're still waiting for it to fill again.

Despite my AG placing, I was nowhere near your time NZC. I did manage to combine running with organising the volunteers through.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Wonderful race results, NZC and Diana - awesome AGs. And well done Diana's daughter too.

We have had a lovely sunny afternoon and I have been busy in the garden. Only mowing lawns and trimming edges, nothing adventurous, but looks better than it did.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

NZC - fantastic age grade. I'm almost at 60% age grade for my shorter distances.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Ran 5 mile tempo run on Wednesday and 10 mile slow run yesterday????

• Options

good morning

NZC
    I see you were determnined to go back and show that course who is bossimage.
    Excllent time and super age grading - well done. That marathon has given you new legs!!

Diana
    that was a notable treble - organising volunteers, first parkrun and fastest in your age group!!!
    Excellent all round - good support as well by the sounds of it

Tracey
    that looks the right way round so no question marks!!

• Options

Lovely morning here - out early to beat the heat (long time since I said that!!) but foudn it was still cool on the moor tops as asteady northerly breeze/wind took  the edge of any temperature gain from the sun.
    The sky was alive with larks and curlews giving it everything to establish territory and mock this intruder but was content to listen as I ran 18.1 miles in 2:40:47 (852m/m) with avHr128 (63%WHR) and a max of 147

1  09:38  126 153
    2  09:00  129  147
    3  09:06  131  139
    4  09:11  136  141
    5  08:44  131  138
    6  08:47  128  137
    7  08:13  121  133
    8  09:02  133  141
    9  08:31  127  133
    10 08:28 123  126
    11 08:01 120  125
    12 08:21 121  124
    13 08:37 125  147
    14 08:49 130  145
    15 09:05 133  140
    16 08:45 130  140
    17 09:16 133  138
    18 08:55 135  140
    19 01:11 129  132

Last time I ran a marathon I was just getting ready to finish in that timeimage

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

TS - get ? Marks instead of image faces if use wrong ones

• Options

Good long run there TS, and you shouldn't be running your training run at marathon pace anyway, surely??

Got persuaded into a longer run than I had anticpated by my daughter this morning. We met in Ashurst, having both run from home, then across the forest to Beaulieu Road station, Denny Lodge, Matley Wood and home - 10 miles! Some while since I last ran that far, and just scraped under 10 minute miling. Family lunch with some wine, and I could not happily nod off! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318180320

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Beautiful day here too. Very impressed by TS's 18 miles.

Postponed running until early evening as it was a bit on the warm side. 5 and a quarter hilly miles. Some of the uphills reduced me to walking, not too pleased about that as I usually manage to run all of that route (except when I have to stop and open gates, - part of it goes along a farm track).

• Options

JJ,

Even if I don't do anywhere near the mileage or races like I used to do a few years back, I say the same as you.....keep the running going at least image.

NZC,

That IS early racing a 5k at 8.   I like that age %  grading, nudging 82,  much congrats on being your fastest time ever.

Diana,

You were well organised in managing your parkrun team and doing the race too!! Surely your daughter will soon get time under that 25min.

TS.

Fast pacing for a long long way,  the 18 miles you seemed to run effortlessly.  You are well on track to do the business when marathon time comes image

• Options

Really nice morning with sunshine and only a moderate breeze in the first parkrun for me  at Rother Valley.  I made sure they had sufficient bodies for marshalling etc before warming up for a mile , don't like letting them down !

Started a little too fast possibly so the first mile was quickest but overall that didn't matter.  Idea was to see how I'd do in a different parkrun having used Hallam for over 30 times. Anyway up, I was pleased with the result.  But might be hard to pb that again anytime soon !

Mile times....8.52,  9.34. 9.36,  and 1.02 for 0.12m.
    Off.time  29m.04s.  best time this year of parkruns,  1st in 70/74 age group, no surprise there weren't any other m70s.
    Age grading 64.11     60th out of 78.   Suppose its not bad for an old geezer image

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Impey, 
    Based on my little bit of reasearch, just to be still running at 70+, puts well ahead of the pack, well done.

TS,
    another impressive long one. The way you are progressing I hope you don't peak too soon.

I did my 10k race last night. For some reason or other only 9000 of the 10000 registered bother to run or finish but it was still a very crowded race.
    I got a good starting position but there was a 90 deg turn within the first 100m and then the road immediately started to narrow so it was very hard to run your own pace.
    It remained congested the whole way so no chance to run the corners, you were basically stuck, so it made the course a bit longer than 10k.
    It was a very windy cool day at 12c which was okay on the way out but hurt over the last 3k.

I managed to pick off a couple of wrinklies I spotted by being in the front of my corral but then I was running blind for the rest of it.
    I went through 5k in 23:40 and finished in an official time of 47:48 so I met my objective of being under 48 so pleased with that.

I have no HR data as my HRM battery decided to die just before the start.

I was 840th and 3rd in my age group 65-69 out of 55. 840th doesn't sound so good but when you realise there were 8000 people behind me it doesn't sound so bad.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

06:30 PM Saturday, May 25, 2013

National Capital10k, 12c, cloud, windy, HRM battery failed, head wind on second half. 3rd place.

Run Duration = 47:51,  Run Length = 10.1 Kms or 6.3 Miles

Average Run Pace = 04:43 per Km or 07:36 per Mile, Age grade =  75.3 %

Average Run Cadence = 87.4, Average stride length = 1.2 m

Lap  Duration   Kms   Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR  MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)

01     04:36     1.0        0.6      04:36      07:25      00.0%     00.0%      88.0       1.23

02     04:35     1.0        0.6      04:35      07:23      00.0%     00.0%      89.0       1.22

03     04:37     1.0        0.6      04:37      07:26      00.0%     00.0%      88.0       1.23

04     04:47     1.0        0.6      04:47      07:41      00.0%     00.0%      88.0       1.19

05     04:47     1.0        0.6      04:47      07:42      00.0%     00.0%      87.0       1.20

06     04:40     1.0        0.6      04:40      07:31      00.0%     00.0%      87.0       1.23

07     04:44     1.0        0.6      04:44      07:38      00.0%     00.0%      87.0       1.21

08     04:50     1.0        0.6      04:50      07:47      00.0%     00.0%      87.0       1.19

09     04:48     1.0        0.6      04:48      07:44      00.0%     00.0%      87.0       1.20

10     04:49     1.0        0.6      04:49      07:46      00.0%     00.0%      86.0       1.20

11  &nbs

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Mick - well done - you should be very pleased with that!

Torque Steer - very good long run. When was your last marathon? 

Impey - great running - good time!

Columba - sounded like a tough run too.

Diana - good long run following your Parkrun. Nice to have your daughter to run with.

My legs are feeling pretty battered this morning. Decided not to go and do a long run by myself yesterday as son and husband were going to do their usual off-road excursion. It is part of the Hilary trail they love. Lots of hills, mud, tree roots etc. It is a walk/run affair, out and back. You run/walk out then come back the same way, except on the way back a lot of it is downhill, so there was a bit of racing going on. Husband took the route through the stream and son and I took the muddy hilly route. Son made it first to the junction by a second.I was just trundling behind.Oh Mae was with us too. There was a lot more walking on the hilly sections back to the car after that.

• Options

Mick6,

Pity the battery failed so data was lost for hrm info.  But your performance was what mattered most and 3rd out of 55 in same age group is great.  I lke the pace which were all 7min mile range. Well done, a most satisfying 10k success.

NZC,

Thanks.   Not surprised your legs felt the way they did!  Maybe some doms there too.

Columba,

Right...we do have 5 local park run venues.  Hallam,Hillsborough, Concord, Graves park, Rother Valley,oh  and there's one now at Clifton park,Rotherham.. So it's now 6 really image

• Options

good morning

Mick6
    excellent 10K run there and pushing the AG right up
    Sounded a bit too congested and twisty to be a truely fast course so the time is even better than it looks at first glance.
    Yup - just remember how many folk were behind youimage 

Impey
    good going - sounds like it was just the right size field for a 5K and your time will improve!!!

Diana
    10 miles and then lunch and wine - perfect snooze combo!!!
    I had to go to my g'daughter's fourth birthday party and help set up the village hall for it - then 20 little ones making mayhem - no chance of a snooze there.

Interesting query about pace for long runs. At the moment I can't run any faster so it doesn't matter but hopefully as strength increases then I will be able to increase pace to marathon target pace as long as I don't run too far - say up to 20 miles.
    At the moment my HR is fine - i just lack strength in both legs and connective tissue - when I finished yesterday I had pains in both glutes and hip flexors - but that is what conditioning is all about!!!

JJ
    good spot - 2 miles further but 2 sec/mile slower!!

Columba
    sudden temperature increase rapidly drains strength - I was out by 0700 for that very reason!! But characterful miles nevertheless for youimage

NZC
    love your idea of an easy run on battered legs - Lots of hills, mud, tree roots etc - not an idea to subscribe to!!!
    1985 was my last marathonimage

Well it was my turn for battered legs - and bum and hips so I opted for my version of an easy run - 6.6 miles mainly on fresh cut grass in 59:23 (9m/m) with avHR122 (59%WHR!!!!) and a max of only 136

1m  9:31  111  123
    2m  8:17  121  128 - too fast, slow down
    3m  8:52  125  131 
    4m  9:12  126  130
    5m  9:12  125  129  consistent!!
    6m  8:57  122  133 half of Hipps HIll
    .6m 5:21  130  136 the other half

Lovely bright sun, but cold in a strong NW wind with a real edge to it

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Mick6 - 3rd out of 55 in your age group sounds brilliant - and wonderful age grading too - I hope you're as pleased with it as you should be (but have the impression that you're a bit of a perfectionist and would have been hankering after something even higher, like 1st in your age group). Were the 1st and 2nd blokes much ahead of you?

NZC - what TS said - that was an easy run, suitable for battered legs?

Impey - I suppose that what I lose on the parkruns (i.e., there aren't any) I gain on the X-C possibilities.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Christine, an excellent AG and it took an exceptional runner to beat you. Not by that much either.

Diana, I'm sure your park run will go from strength to strength as word spreads. Well done on your 1st in age group. I'm sure you'll get that sub-25 very soon.

TS, another impressive long run. I get tired just thinking about it.

Impey, judging from your best park run time this year, the change obviously did you good.

Mick, with 9000 runners it's not surprising there was congestion! Congratulations on your 3rd in age group and overall placing.

• Options

Good parkrun result impey. We have a choice of runs too, with Southampton, Netley, Eastleigh & Brockenhurst. There is also one in Winchester about 25 miles away, and Portsmouth & Poole both a little further.

Great 10k Mick, in less than ideal conditions.

Nice but challenging family run NZC! Not surprised that you have tired legs.

Graham, I think it will take some time for me to break 25 minutes, but suspect daughter will do so soon (even next week!)

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Diana, sorry, got mixed up. Good luck to your daughter.

Planning for Australia is going well. The motorhome has been booked and is a 6-berther. It's bigger than I've driven before but hopefully I'll soon get used to it. It'll be a great base for Mark to recover in when he's not running (which won't be often!).

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

NZC,
    That was some recovery run.

Graham,
    I hope it has a big petrol tank as there are not too many garages there.

Columba,
    You read between the lines well, and yes I am hard on myself. I was hoping to be first but he ran 44 mins and I am not there yet. Second place was 13s ahead and if I had know I am sure I could have put it more effort to chase him, not that I am competitive. The AG was an improvement on my 5k race but not back to pre-injury level of 76.1 so I have some work to do.
    My next race is another 10k where I hope to improve my AG again.

An easy recovery 9k today. My heels reacted a bit to the race but not too bad today.

Mick

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Mick - well done on your 10k race ????

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Saturday 10 mile splits

1:44:52

Average pace 10:29

11:04

10:20

10:16