Options

The Spine

Comments

• Options

Next Blog on the running aspects of the race out soon.

http://dartmoordogrunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/the-spine-race-guide-part-3-kit.html

Hopefully the link on the kit blog works now.

Any one reading this should have a better idea of what it takes to get to the finish line.

Most of you will  have preconceptions thinking its all about being super fit and training for incredibly long periods. This is way off the mark .

Mountain/ Hill walking  experience (preferably entering a Mountain Marathon) . Some training in navigation. Attending one of the Spine Training Courses and being able to finish an event like the lakeland 50( mid field) and you are almost there.

By far the most important aspect of this race is the mental aspect and your ability to make good decisions when sleep deprived and under stress.

• Options

Do you actually run on The Spine Race ? Some of your question answered.

http://dartmoordogrunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/the-spine-race-guide-part-4-running.html

Starting to get a bit nervous about the race now . Putting my thoughts into The Spine Race Guide for first time runners helps.

10 Days to go GULP!

• Options

Ian, I must thank you - I've just read all four of your race guides, they're a great insight for what's to come.  I'm in for the Challenger this year, but it may as well be the full distance for what it's grown to in my head!  Your guides are equally as reassuring as they are terrifying, but that's probably just because it forces me to contemplate what's to come - definitely lots of valuable information, and I'm pretty reassured about my kit choices.  Which is good as there's not much time to be making changes now!

• Options

Hi Paul . Glad you liked them . 

Its never to late for a bit of Kit tweaking. Great Spine training weather over the next few days . I hope to get a better idea of possible areas of rain ingress through joints between waterproof layers by heading out into the oncoming storm with all my kit.

2014 is shaping up to be the Spine 268 mile Bog Trot! 

• Options

This is the link for the live tracking of The Spine Race starting 8am on the 11th

http://spine.opentracking.co.uk/race/

Looks like it will give a great arm chair view only without the pain.

• Options

Thanks for the blog and tracking ian.   Will be closely following this 

Definitely on my hit list for the next couple of years. 

• Options

Hi Ian, yes I will also be testing my waterproofs tomorrow I think!  Could be a very different race this year if winter doesn't arrive soon.  Not sure that bog-of-doom will be any quicker or easier than blizzard, but we'll see.

• Options

It may sound strange but apart from the full on blizzard last year on day6 . I think the 2013 conditions were very good . 

I predict 50% DNF by CP 1.5 if the ground is not frozen . The wet feet issues are massive!

• Options

Well that's a cheery thought. I'm just re reading your and others blog posts to see if there's anything I've missed in my prep, for the wet feet problem there's really no perfect solution, either good draining shoes in conjunction with wool/drymax/sealskinz or goretex shoes gaiters and hope it doesn't get too deep

• Options

Spare shoes n socks in drop bags? 

• Options

I'll have spare socks of course but they checkpoints are upwards of 45 miles apart so you can do a huge amount of damage to your feet in that time if you get things wrong

• Options

Such an awesome race. You must be Sooooooooooooo buzzing, are you at the hurry up and start stage yet? 

• Options

I had to e-mail the RD yesterday (minor freakout) and on the spur of the moment asked if I could race in wellies.  He didn't actually say no.  image

• Options

The Burts Bees hand salve trick works well (holland and barrat) . I first tested it on the 2012 Winter 100. One foot coated one not. Big difference in wrinkles after 20hrs of slogging through continuous puddles.   I think its one of the reasons my feet fared better than most on the 2013 Spine.

• Options

Have just finished part 5 of the guide to The Spine Race for first time runners.

If you are considering this race it's better to start with my race Report :http://dartmoordogrunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-spine-race-inside-head-of-spine.html

To get to part 5 of the Guide just go to the Latest Blog. 

Hope you enjoy it . 

• Options

Another fine instalment, thanks Ian.  Quite glad I'm a stubborn bugger after reading that.  Still a high chance of crying at some point though!  Ooooh, really, really not long now!

• Options

I don't know how you lot are coping. I get all excited for a couple of days before a marathon, never mind a challenge like this, with good knows what wheather thrown at you. 

How do you concentrate and not keep thinking about your equipment list, etc... 

• Options

I've been obsessing over kit for a while now.  I am a bit of a gear nerd anyway.  I'm pretty much settled/happy with my kit now, even though I was originally anticipating full on snow/ice rather than what looks to be rain (and possibly some wet snow and some ice on the tops).  The mandatory kit list is understandably pretty comprehensive, and I'm just about squishing it all into a 35 litre pack.  I've had some strange looks on training runs!

• Options

What has your average weekly Milage been like in the build up? Have you done all running, or had some very long hikes as part of the buildup? And considering the conditions what sort of jacket or jackets are you carrying? 

Sorry for all the questions, tell me to sod off if I become to annoyingimage

• Options

Sounds like you're contemplating something booktrunk?  image

My weekly mileage varies massively - I've recently gone through last years diary so I know there were some running weeks of only 10 miles total.  My highest purely training weeks will never be higher than 40 miles, but I'm happy to use a race as a training run, so it can be considerably higher at times.  I know I can't sustain a constantly high training mileage without breaking something, but I also cross train as if I'm still doing triathlon - swim, bike, run, gym and for the past year - yoga.

For this I'm taking GoreTex Paclite - jacket, trousers, mittens.  Not the lightest, nor the most breathable, but I can't justify buying a new set at the mo.  And anyway, if it's that bad that you have to put on full waterproof armour, you're pretty much going to end up wet from rain or sweat anyways.  That's my theory!

• Options

My milage has been a max of 40 but similar to paul. I know I will get faster by day 3. It really is not about the running unless you want a podium place . The fitter you are running wis the more likely you are to blow the race in the first couple of days.

This year its looks like it will be all about feet. Staying dry at any cost even if you move much slower. Holding yourself back is really difficult for most ultra runners.

As for concentrating I am starting to lose that rapidly.

• Options

Paul: maybe the Challenger.. But i'm only at 50 as my furthest so far. Got an 86 this year, so progressing. It's interesting regarding milage, as i'm a low milage runner only 930ish last year, but I want to do more Ultras and there almost seems to be a large group of people doing more miles in marathon training then in ultra training. 

I'm a bit stuck trying to do both and it's interesting, just seeing how different people tackle things.

I'm a bit an ultra is more in the mind, but both versions of the Spine are one of those that's a real physical beast as well, as most ultras have a comfy rest stop every 8-13 miles image so it's only a series of half marathons, unlike the spine, where each pit stop is harder then lots of other races.

• Options

Nearly there. Packed, re packed and packed again. No doubt I'll have forgotten something but that in itself is a small part of the challenge. 

• Options

Cheers CC, whatever happens I've already learned loads, from finally dusting off my compass to actually doing some proper days in the hills at a pace I could enjoy my surroundings rather than just trying to power through as fast as I can. As Ian said so well in his blogs it's definitely a game changer 

• Options

Volume 6 of the Blog on its way. Sat tracking system set up on Spine Race Web page so you will be able to follow our progress live

• Options

Volume 6 . Its a bit wooly as my attention is focused on the race. I have obtained some good blister advice from the people who really know.

• Options

I told you I was not focused ! Here is the link. Scroll back through the Blogs for more insight into the Spine.

http://dartmoordogrunner.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-spine-race-guide-part-5-its-all-in.html