Options

Milton Keynes 2014

Comments

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Sounds like you're in good shape booktrunk!

Did my 30k run yesterday (Stamford Valentine's). Excellent weather, brilliant organisation, cracking day. Was supposed to do it at LSR pace (9m miles, 2:47:30) but got a little excited and turned it up in the second half. 1:21 first half, 1:15 second half, time of 2:36:04. Massive confidence boost as I wasn't completely melted, but am a little sore in various places today - never been over 15 miles (24k) before though so was always going to be a challenge.

Oh for continued nice weather!!

• Options

We'll done Neil t, weather was beautiful for it yesterday. Almost felt like spring where I am! I'm doing my weekly long runs on Mondays from now on as my shifts make it difficult for me to run any longer than an hour at the weekends. 13 miles for me this afternoon, I'm hoping the rain holds off as I've been struggling with blisters from wet socks during the last few weeks! Will also see how I get on without using a sports drink. 

• Options

29k for me I'm way slower 3:30 image I think I got a bit of suntan, I can just see the outline from where my arm didn't get the sun under my garmin is whiter image

• Options
  • Options

Well that's me out of the race I'm afraid. Limping into work after just 3 miles again.

I have to face the realisation that my foot needs more than a couple of weeks rest and I know that I wouldn't be able to stop myself trying to cram in the mileage if I remained booked in for the race.

For me MK was about beating 3 hours and I don't want to attempt it unless I can give it 100%

My London GFA entry in 2015 will be the next attempt. 

Best of luck to everyone, I hope you achieve your goals

• Options

Good luck with the rest of your training leebe

• Options

Hi all. Been a bit quiet from me of late as I've just moved house, so been busy decorating and everything else that a house move entails! Still managed to keep on top of my training though, although I did miss last weeks 4mi recovery run, not too much of a biggie as I've still been able to run all  the other planned runs.

Sorry to hear about your withdrawal Lee, sounds like you're being sensible about it and it's the right thing to do in the long run. No point in aggravating an injury if you don't have to. Still time to get a 2015 GFA though, good luck!

Hope everyone else's training has been going well so far, almost halfway there! The first of the 20milers this weekend, bring it on!! 

• Options

10k PB again last night image just over two weeks ago it  was 58:46 and according to mcmillan calculator to slow for me being able to do a sub 4:30 marathon.  Broke it twice in two weeks now 56:03 so McMillan predicts 4:23 now image which I'd be content with... Think i'm going to be starting with 4:15 pacer and seeing if I can hang on till half way, if so could afford to loose a minute a mile and then still keep below 4:30 image

See you all in MK image

• Options

Nice one booktrunk, looks like the training is paying off for you then.

• Options

Cheers Jamie. It's my job's championships as well so I'm a bit gutted. If things drastically improve I may make a late appearance yet!

I got my GFA time at Abingdon so there's no pressure there at least.

Might see you at the MK half.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Leebe - shame about the training but sounds like you're making a wise choice. It's easy to go down the 'it'll be okay' route but you'll hopefully have a better half and better autumn if you make the sensible decisions now.

booktrunk - you're flying.

Jamie - first 20 miler is also looming - good luck. It's a big milestone and I can't wait to tick it off.

• Options

That's a shame about your job's championships Lee, but fingers crossed things improve. Which MK Half are you doing? The one in March or July?

At least you've got your GFA in the bag for 2015, so if I don't see you at MK, I'll see you in London next year!

Neil t - I'm the same, can't wait to get the first 20 miler of the training ticked off. Big mileage week (54) this week. Looking forward to next weeks reduced mileage!

• Options

I feel like I'm lagging behind, I'm not scheduled to do a 20 miler for 5 weeks! I wish I was at that stage already, 13 miles on Monday was tough and unfortunately I'll have to trim the mileage a little for the next week to give my foot some time to recover from some blistering as I don't want it ruining my half Mara a week on Sunday image. On a more positive note, had an intervals session yesterday and my pace is noticeably improving. Happy days image

• Options
    Cheers Neil, sounds like training's going well for you though.

Jamie, Im doing the March One. Plan is to rest up until then. If it goes OK then I might make a late re-entry, and in true 'Lee' fashion just wing it. Congrats on the house move, it must be a pretty tight trying to fit in the training as well.
  • Options

Might see you in March then Lee. Have you done that MK Half before? You've got 2 weeks to rest up before then, so fingers crossed that sorts you out.

Cheers, the house is keeping me busy at the moment, but getting in my long runs early in the mornings at the weekend so I've got all day to do stuff around the house. Seems to be working out alright at the moment.

Emjay999 - what plan are you following?

• Options

Jamie, first time doing MK half, it was going to be a bit of a recce for May re travel and car parking etc image

• Options

I'm following the sub 4:15 ultimate marathon schedule from this site. Was originally following the intermediate plan from the VLM website but dropped it in favour of the other one which includes mid distance runs mid week. 

• Options

After a couple of frustrating weeks where I've had to nurse my ankle, I've crammed a couple of extra runs into the last week and feel like I'm back on track.

Question: does anyone know how long the run in the stadium adds up to at the finish?

• Options

Hardly any it's around 2/3rds to 3/4 of a football pitch. 

• Options

Cheers.

Just back from a 7.5 miler, and it was bloody horrible. Thankfully back in one piece, but one of those runs where no matter which direction you turn, you're running into the wind.

Now my training programme starts ramping up past 10 miles - I've got 12.5 miles to run on Tuesday.  I haven't gone beyond 10 since a half marathon back in August, so that should be a good gauge of where I'm up to.

• Options

Hi all, I was thinking of enetring either half or full. Ive been running for a number of years and am an ok runner with a PB of 3hrs 33min 2 yrs ago for a marathon. Last yr completed lots of 10ks and did my first. Ultra 31 miles in4 hrs 35min. 

Im training well now and completed 17miles today.

However here is the dilema:

Im away on holiday from april 8th until 23rd and although Will b able to do shorter runs wont b able to do a long run until 27th. 

Do I 

A) Do the HM

B) Go for it and do the full marathon. 

All views welcome please.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Crikey, this training is blooming knackering. First 20 miler yesterday. Wiped today!

• Options

How did it go Neil? 

I did the Reading half marathon yesterday, just beat my target time by finishing at 2:04:48 image. This puts my marathon time at 04:22 which I would be well happy with. Although yesterday was such a buzz it's made me all the more determined to smash my marathon target as well!!

Quads are hurting today so I'm putting my feet up for the day & will be foam rolling later before efforts session tomorrow if my legs will allow it image.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

Excellent work emjay -looks like you're in good shape for MK! Sounds like you're doing the wise thing and resting up - my foam roller will be getting some more attention tonight!

I decided to do the Wymondham 20 miler as a catered training run, aiming for 9 min/miles. Learned an important lesson that you shouldn't wait until an hour into the race until taking gels - ran out of energy in the wind between 13-16 until I upped the sugar! Came in at 2:54:20 which was only a little bit ahead of plan - very pleased.

It's tough to keep disciplined when others are going past you and you know if you were racing that you could probably overtake them. A valuable experience though.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

29km two weeks ago 33.1km yesterday. 

IT Band issues but hey it's only pain image 

• Options

Hey all,

I'm also doing MK as my first marathon this year... 9 weeks today eek!

Training has been going pretty well, it's taken over my life a bit but in a good way! Longest run so far 15.3miles which felt alright. Had been a bit concerned that I'm getting slower but did the Bath Half yesterday and got a new PB of 1.52.38 which was really pleased with!

Glad to hear good feedback on the course, I got laughed at when I picked MK over Brighton. I've got lots of friends dping the VLM and keep panicing when I hear the length of their long runs and reminding myself we have 3 extra weeks!

Hope everyone had a good weekend of training.

• Options

Well I've just experienced proper D.O.M.S for the first time! I live in a flat and spent all day resting indoors on Monday, so it wasn't until yesterday when I tried to go out for a recovery run that I realised exactly how bad my legs were.....quads were so tight that I could hardly get down the stairs without leaning heavily on the handrail. Once out on the road I only managed about 40 metres before admitting defeat and limping back home image. will try again today as the stiffness has eased off a fair bit. Although Sunday was a race, the experience has been a reminder not to push hard when my long runs start increasing from next week! 

• Options

It's all getting a bit real now. I've had two really good fast 7.5 mile runs this week (getting my 10k Garmin best in the latter), and after an easyish morning run tomorrow, it's on to unchartered territory on Sunday - my first 15 mile run.

After a prolonged spell of feeling a bit behind the curve after some ankle niggles, I'm at a stage now where I'm feeling fairly confident, and looking forward to my next run as opposed to dreading it.

Emjay - it sounds like you're pretty much my pace, as I was 2:03 for a half last year, and my training is based on a predicted time of 4:23. Hope your legs start behaving - it's horrible when you're up for a run and your body isn't.

• Options

Thanks Ivor, I managed  5 miles earlier today but found it a struggle to get much above my easy pace. Might have to take it easy for the next few days. I've also got my first 15 mile run coming up this Monday. Let me know how you get on with yours image.

• Options

Training not going great at the moment, a slight knee pain is making me miss runs this week, got a 10 mile race on Sunday so hopefully okay for then and the knee holds out. Keep at it guys image