Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

aws,
    If it was that easy then I probably wouldn't want it. The fun for me is that it is hard to find and hard to keep.

• Options

Mick/Aws - too true! It's well hidden here! Can't wait for it to show itself againimage

Ceal - I know I am tired, put something in my neck out yesterday too and that has been giving me grief.

Torque Steer - thought the same as Mick about the gardener, but then realized you wouldn't be able to do much because of your surgery. It would be silly to undo all the good you have done. Hope you get some good news from the consultant.

My 68 year old friend is doing Ironman NZ in Taupo this weekend - I find it hard getting my head around just completing the marathon without the other two bits added on!

Another sunny day here today - just hope the humidity isn't as bad as Saturday!

• Options

My garden seems to be lagging behind Ceal's and TS's, but that would be nothing new. We're on high ground here and we have had some recent frosts. I have snowdrops and crocuses, but no sign of the cherry tree doing anything yet, and even the earliest daffodils are so far showing nothing more than green buds. However, I am sure my moss could rival anything the rest of you are boasting about image.

TS, I've recorded my MHR as 185. I have seen it higher than that, even over 200, but think those occasions were flukes. A few hard hill reps bring it into the 180s. I don't push myself the way you do; I spare the crocuses.

NZC - I expect they're right, - give yourself a week off. A cricked neck is very unpleasant indeed, I hope it uncricks soon.

4.13 miles with the running club tonight, various loops in town. Started in twilight, finished under twinkling stars. 

• Options

Good morning

0503 4°C
    5.10M; 1:09:12.0; 13:35/M;
    1 13:46.7 1.00 13:47 140 146
    2 13:26.6 1.00 13:27 147 151
    3 13:50.6 1.00 13:51 148 153
    4 13:51.0 1.00 13:51 143 148
    5 13:08.3 1.00 13:08 142 170
    6 1:08.6 0.10 11:43 156 165
    HR av144 max170

Best of the last 15 at the distance. Bit untidy though, that's probably because I didn't really aim at anything except to just run the route. I'm fairly pleased with it, it's the second in a row with no 14s, following a short one of only 4 miles that was all 14s. Nothing makes sense.

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws

You got your HR up well at the end of your run this morning!

TS

Medical report please!

NZC

A cricked neck is horrible for a couple of days, I hope you have some relief today.

Mick6

Pleased to hear that it wasn't you that went sprawling. I think now that your weight has come down the speed will start to emerge.

Another 3 miles ran in sunshine with blue skies.

I had to take my car in for a service this morning. It had to be there by 8.00 so I left home around 7.30'ish to allow for traffic. I was given a lift home and got home at 9.00. Rather a long journey to cover 3 miles. I had to share the journey with a guy who works at the seed bank at Wakehurst Place, therefore, conversation was very interesting and the journey was all in the countryside which was beautiful this morning with a mist lying over the fields with the sun sparkling on the melted frost.
  • Options

good morning

Mick6
    as NZC said a gardener is a necessary indulgence until I fully recover (if ever!!)
    Ditto the domestic maid I haven't told you aboutimage !!
    Running conditions didn't sound too good for your group but you kept a good pace going and held your HR well

aws
    You are getting fitter, that's what!!! And it comes in waves as each group of sessions builds up.

Columba
    congrats on the moss. apparently it was not  problem in the old days the soot from coal fires killed it off!!
    yes it was a very sparkly sky last evening - nice way to finish your run off.
    I think you should assault the crocus.................image 

Ceal
    I am watching Salamander. So much of the dialogue sounds nearly English, it is quite weird at times. The storyline is pretty good and it has actors who look like real people in it rather than "glamour" characters. I think concentrating on sub titles make one less aware of holes in the plot!!!
    Liked the ending to The Bridge - it was always going to end badly in Saga's worldimage!!

If you had gone in your running gear you could have run back from the garage and saved time but missed out on the conversation.

Medical report follows!!
    Consultant visit last evening who pronounced himself very happy with the outcome of his endeavors. My occasional spasms are usual after the amount of compression and distortion on the nerves and will ease over time.
    I have to continue to take it easy for several more weeks and then build  up gradually my core strength before attempting to run. He wants to have reports on my running progress so that he can share them with his team so he seems pretty confident I will eventually get back there.
    good news in most respects other than timing..............................

• Options

TS, not much time just now to respond to much but I had to drop by to say how pleased I am.  Looks like you'll be able to get your running gear down from the loft in the foreseeable future. 

• Options

Ceal - HR well up was completely unintentional. I just got to the downhill bit at the end and kept going.image

al

• Options

Good work Aws - you are certainly putting in some good effort.

Torque Steer - nice progress from you too - good to hear the consultant is really interested in your progress.

Ceal - it is nice to be able to just get out there and run 3 miles - especially when you weren't able to for so long.

Columba - your run last night sounded wonderful - you certainly get some good stuff out of your running.

I had a good run yesterday - about 11km, but my neck is still not right - not sure what I will be doing today - I need some new running shoes, so maybe shopping or see what my daughter is up to - might join her for a walk.

I don't know how many times I used the word good! But I guess it covers everythingimage

• Options

NZC - would a heat pack on the neck help?

Aws - way-hay! Nothing above a 13 - again!

TS - wonderful news from the consultant.

- and Ceal - everybody's making come-backs - must be the spring air.

NRD. Working tomorrow, but hope to be back in time to go swimming in the evening. No lesson as it's half-term, but the local pool has a "ladies only" session at 7.00 p.m., which is often very thinly attended so I may have plenty of space to practice my floundery front crawl with neither float nor pull-buoy.

• Options
    http://alanshelley.co.uk/a1010.jpg

Across Bough Beech Reservoir

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Went to choir this morning and sang "What a Wonderful World" It sounded brilliant, especially the contribution from the Baritones

I then ran 5k, it was very spring like along my trail, but still lots of puddles. We have had a few hail storms over the last 2 days.

TS

That is very encouraging news indeedimageimage thanks for the info on Salamander. We shall have to subscribe to Netflex or whatever it is called in order to watch it. But I think the sub will be worth it. I have ran to or from the garage in the past but the road is a VERY busy one A264 and there is a section of about half a mile that has no pavement, so it means running into the traffic consisting of lorries etc and there are huge pot holes in this road due to flooding and is not safe to run along at all. I cring in my car when I hit one of these pot holes. Sometime impossible to avoid.

NZC

Thanks. I hope you have a good shopping experience. I am sure shopping is good for a bad neck!!!!

Columba,

I think your spring air may have some snow landing on it in the next day or so.
  • Options

g'day

thanks folks - though I am not quite out of the woods yet. Caution is the operative word over the next few weeks - and indeed it may be many months before (or if ever) the nerve settles down completely. I do have some considerable muscle wastage to address as well but that is something I know all about!!!

NZC
    Mrs TS yawned and cracked her jaw nearly a week ago and it still giving pain. I must stop being so boring..............................
    11K sounds goodimage 

Columba
    enjoy the paddle. I am about to embark on some pool swimming as well

Ceal
    No need for subscriptions Salamander is on iPlayer.
    Nothing worse than that sort of road in the rush hour so you are forgivenimage
    5K a day soon adds up!! 

• Options

Columba
    you may find some of these swim videos videos useful in picturing what the stroke should be - they are quite well put together and illustrate the key points of each stroke

talking of swimming - as well as Impey's absence I have not seen Empty around for a while?

• Options

Some very good running, weight loss, and recovery from injury going on. Good to see.

Brilliant acting in The Bridge, especially from the Saga character, and it's good news there's to be more. There's a bit left unresolved about the environment conspiracy so I wonder if that will be picked up, or an entirely new story started. The latter I'd guess.

We've recorded Salamander so far but haven't watched any yet.

Rest day tomorrow, so my February total was 132.5 and the annual total 291 so far.

I ran the club run hard on Monday and did the 7.8 hilly route at 7.22 pace, my quickest on that route by 2 seconds a mile.

Cross country at Alnwick on Sunday so that's something to look forward to. The traditional venue for the last of the season has had to be changed because of parking issues. The league's doing very well at all ages and parking has become a headache for many fixtures.

• Options

TS, both disappear from time to time, don't they, but always resurface. I hope they're both OK. Impey's injured of course, or was, but Empty was going well. I think we've probably heard the last from busbar though, which is a shame.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

ceal,
    You appear to be getting your runs in fairly consistently now, any ill effects?

Graham,
    Us old uns need to keep together, we can't afford to lose anyone. I did a small study a while back of a major race and found that the entries for each 5 year AG dropped off exponentially after 50, a little worrying.
    I still have a run scheduled for tomorrow but I hope to beat your Feb numbers, not that I am competitive or anything. I only wish I could match your times.

The footing was too risky today so I was forced to use the treadmill. I did a 4x4. HR drift a little too high but pace was good and it felt good. Heels are doing great with only a minor discomfort on my right heel at the start, but no after effects.

09:11 AM Thursday, February 27, 2014

Total Run Duration = 50:42,  Run Length = 9.0 Kms or 5.6 Miles

Selected Lap Detail

Lap  Duration   Kms   Miles   Per Km Per Mile  AWHR  MWHR   Cad  Slength(m)

04     04:05     0.91     0.56      04:30      07:15     83.1%     87.3%       87.0        1.28

06     04:05     0.90     0.56      04:31      07:17     84.5%     90.8%       87.0        1.27

08     04:07     0.91     0.57      04:31      07:17     86.6%     92.3%       87.0        1.27

10     04:05     0.91     0.57      04:29      07:14     89.4%     93.7%       87.0        1.28

Totals and averages for selected Laps

Lap  Duration     Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR      MWHR    Cadence  Slength(m)

04     16:23      03.6      02.3      04:31     07:16      85.9%      93.7%       87.0        1.27

• Options

Drove to Aber, worked, drove back, went swimming, now very tired!

TS, thank you for the link to the swimming videos - haven't looked at them yet but will do so.

Mick, when you did your "small study" of entries by age group did you consider men and women separately?

• Options

Good morning

0501 4°C
    6.06M; 1:27:24.0; 14:25/M;
    1 13:34.6 1.00 13:35 144 149
    2 14:05.9 1.00 14:06 144 149
    3 14:34.2 1.00 14:34 135 141
    4 14:47.0 1.00 14:47 129 135
    5 14:55.8 1.00 14:56 121 128
    6 14:32.8 1.00 14:33 116 123
    7 00:53.3 0.06 13:40 115 117
    HR av131 max149

Now here's a thing, completely different from yesterday. I set out to take it easy and produced the slowest 6-miler for at least 2yrs. What I don't understand is the time difference between the first two miles for identical heart rates. It seems to indicate that HR is totally irrelevant unless it's an extreme example of TS's wave pattern. At least I've got someone to blame.image

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws

I don't think you had a HR contact for the first 2 miles. One needs LOTS of wet under the contacts and on your skin before one commences the run. It is one of the last things I do before I leave the house. To my eyes I would say that it was sometime during your 4th mile that there was proper stable contact between your HR strap and your skin. Contact is harder when the temperature outside is low.
  • Options

good morning

aws
    yup - contact looks dodgy until you warmed up and sweated a bitimage - or you need a new battery!!! Does the screen read show lots of blips for those miles?

Columba
    it is always useful to see what someone is verbally describing and these videos are pretty good on technique particularly on freestyle breathing

Graham
    enjoy the mud on Sunday - although a few more cold mornings like today may harden it up nicely into rutted surfacesimage!!!
    Excellent pace for your club run - anything under 7:30 m/m gets things turning over nicely

Mick6
    Ditto on the pace of your intervals.
    Pity you could not see the instalment last evening on the BBC on the anatomy of the foot The Foot - it showed in grisly detail the fat pad under the heel .
    It also have an excellent section on running and footfall and the effect that shoes have on running gait - in fact it confirmed all the points I had made a little while back with some excellent research techniques shown - really good stuff - could have done with a lot more on it.
    I imagine shoe manufacturer's would not wish to see it being published too widely!!!

Not sure if I could download it and email it to you - it may be too big a file

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good Morning,
    It seems my cold weather has reached you. We are having yet more cold weather this week so I guess you can expect more next week.
    It is currently -23c and windy. I think my recovery run will be indoors unless it warms up a lot before I get to the gym.

Columba,
    I did do it just for males but I have repeated in for last years big run for both men and women.

/members/images/276722/Gallery/Capture_16.JPG

Very similar curves, maybe a bit worse than I saw before.

TS,
    I can setup a UK proxy so the website cannot see where I really am. This will allow me to view it. I will play this afternoon if I get time.

An easy recovery run planned for today. Long run planned for Saturday assuming this weather has eased.

• Options

TS/Ceal - I've always found licking the contacts is sufficient this is the first time I've had any trouble and I didn't think it was trouble until you both came up with the idea. Now I don't know what to do.image

al

• Options

aws
    I used to lick mine too but then found the new soft straps needed more moisture to ensure a good contract so I started sticking it under the tap to get it nice and wet - you can use hot water if you are a wuss........................

Mick6
    well we were cold at -3C but a lovely clear bright sky and no wind, I will let you keep the remainder of the -20C over there!!
    Mind the NSA don't track your proxy websiteimage

• Options

Soft straps?....

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws

I keep my HR strap on the radiator and it has worked much better since I started to do so.! I also use warm water to really wet both my skin and the strap, wether it is a hard or a soft one and have had much better HR readings since. Give it a go, nothing lost.

Mick6

I think those figures will improve in years to come as the Public become more aware of fitness. Let's hopes so anyway. Brrrr cold with you. Just hail storms here with a lot of rain and gales forecast for tomorrow yet again.

You ask if I get any reaction to my knee from my running. I did when I ran in Wales when I was tired and unused to hills and couldn't resist sprinting at the end of the run. But on the the whole I would say no reaction. That is not to say that my knee is normal, 'cause it isn't! but I am choosing to ignore it. It certainly doesn't hurt when I run.

TS

I forgot to mention that road which leads to my service garage is the main road from E.G. to the M23 so it is very busy. I have still to watch The foot but hope to do so over the weekend sometime.

Columba

I hope you are feeling un-tired today.

No running today, I just didn't have time. I had my private singing lesson this morning, singing a some called "At Seventeen" sang in the 70's by Janis Ian. It is quite a moving song about a girl's experience at aged 17 yrs (she is now older) and how awful it was. As in boy friends! I am to sing it with my own interpretation on the expressions and timing of the words etc. anybody remember it?

Then I was very busy this afternoon, but hope to run tomorrow. I have just ran 6 days in a row, all the runs were around 3 miles.
  • Options

Ceal, I certainly remember the Janis Ian song. I've got the album it's on. She had a very distinctive voice which I liked a lot.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

ceal,
    glad to hear that the knee is behaving.
    I am not sure about the future of senior runners. If I look at the population of the gym I attend, there does not seem to be the enthusiasm for running in the group below my age. Lots of people working out but at a more sedate pace.

TS,
    The proxy worked fine, I don't think it is illegal, just the BBC don't want to give free access to people who have not paid for it. A very interesting view of the foot, especially the PF and Achilles. I am not surprised that it is a source of chronic injuries.

5k recovery done on the treadmill.

• Options

Evening

Was at Hyde Park today

5km 30:20

===
    1) 1m - 9:47(9:47/m)
    2) 1m - 9:46(9:46/m)
    3) 1m - 9:42(9:42/m)
    4) 0.12m - 1:05(9:18/m)

Last  bit I had overtaken man  in the  final straight  I did  not  want him to over take  me at the finish wasn't all out but was enough