Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

The photos...   Mine are all taken on the finishing straight.  None anywhere else on the course.

Is that the same for everyone else?

• Options

Same for me too.

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Mostly the same for me - a couple from elsewhere.

I'm impressed with my posture. Not so impressed with the gaumless look on my face image

• Options
    It's been a while since I posted in this thread. My training has been a bit hit and miss of late but I had a pretty good run yesterday. Came in at 3'40" which trumps last years effort and PB of 4'28" somewhat image

agree about the stupid water containers.....I think I ended up a bit dehydrated because I couldn't fathom how to get decent drink out of them. Initial sip....then the valve would seal itself.....I ended up biting my way into them. Ideally wanted to transfer the water into my bottle but that was tricky.
  • Options
    @ Steve Duffy 2 - I was at the elite start to and like you have no chip time. Gutted as I did 3:00:04 and am pretty sure I took over 4 seconds to get to the mat. I've checked through and the first elites over the line have a chip time but none of them have a difference of more the two seconds from gun to chip. So if you were further back it looks like it stopped registering starts. Mine picks me up from 5km onwards so I have pace from there onwards. Gutted.
  • Options

Good going David. at least you lived up to your "elite " billing. I think most of them were way off the 3.15 pace. A bit embarrassing to claim to be elite and run 3.23. Good time but not exactly elite, eh? I beat that by 20 minutes with my non elite numberimage 

• Options

I was aiming for quicker than 3.23 (original plan was sub 3.15) and was offered the place, so took it. Not the time I was aiming for, but did my best. I never claimed to be one of the elite athletes, I was just lucky enough to start (at the back) of that group.

• Options

Thanks PC. Not bad yourself!  A good number of us including myself are "just qualified" to start in the elite and thought why not have the experience? My previous PB just qualified me to start there (3:14)  Great going Steve - I think PC is just winding you up - 3:23 is a superb time and you should be delighted. My last post was obviously negative about the chip time not working but I thought the support was great, the weather better than expected and the water was fantastic. (Seriously, they gave cups at Amsterdam….)  it was a great day all round. Particularly impressed with the supporters being out by the Power Station which I thought would be no-mans land.

• Options

Plenty of us started off elite and faded to also rans. That's what the last 6 miles of a marathon can do to youimage although I finished comfortably in a so called "elite " spot.  But I would never describe myself as elite. 

• Options
    Elite starter here who finished in 3:16:18 . For some reason I'm not embarrassed but proud. It was after all my first. Maybe with time I will learn to feel shame...
  • Options

Makes you wonder why we can't all start together for the sake of a few Kenyans who are there for the money who no-one really cares about. if they don't run the first hill have they run the same course? the same marathon?

• Options
    My friend finished in 3:02 and started in the non elite section. In future would he be able to start from the elite section with a time like this??
  • Options

Yes, according to Steve he would. 

• Options
    My goal was 3:15 and I was bang on target until 25.7 miles where I blacked out and collapsed. DNF.

Ran a perfect run up until that point. I still have no idea or recollection of what happened but I'm fine.

Congratulations to all finishers and especially those who achieved their goal. Well done.
  • Options

Those "few Kenyans who are there for the money who no-one really cares about" have dedicated their entire lives from a very early age to running in a way that most people on here wouldn't even be able to even comprehend.

• Options

Anyone know why the race doesn't appear in the list of events for us to rate? Also results show less than 9000 finishers but there were supposed to be 18,000 places, Can anyone explain that? 

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Makes you wonder why we can't all start together for the sake of a few Kenyans who are there for the money who no-one really cares about. if they don't run the first hill have they run the same course? the same marathon?

There's no doubt that it gave them an unfair advantage over me.

Burton AC Gaz wrote (see)
    My goal was 3:15 and I was bang on target until 25.7 miles where I blacked out and collapsed. DNF.

Ran a perfect run up until that point. I still have no idea or recollection of what happened but I'm fine.

Congratulations to all finishers and especially those who achieved their goal. Well done.

Hell, Burton.  Glad you're OK.

• Options

Sorry to hear that Gaz. But I'm glad you're ok now. 

Bess - at the start they said 14,500 people registered and they hoped/expected 10,000 to make the start. I guess about 9,000 did. I assume a lot will have signed up to Brighton and the VLM ballot and deferred Brighton if they got in to the VLM. 

The 2 starts merged within less than a mile so I don't really think it matters where you start unless you are aiming to win the thing (which I wasn't!). 

Looking forward to completing my early bird registration tomorrow for 2015! Was such a great event! 

I think that that having two starts is a good idea. Maybe calling the sub 3.15 pen as "elite" isn't quite accurate, but in my mind it's no different to the white numbers starting ahead of the red ones at Preston Park. It gives everyone a good chance at a decent run, running with people of a similar pace around you. Those people who started with the masses yesterday but who have the qualifying times for the Withdean Park start should definitely consider taking up the offer next year. I loved starting there - I make no claim to be an elite athlete, I am an enthusiastic amateur who loves running. When offered the chance to start there I grabbed it!! I'm not "embarrassed" that I didn't run an "elite" standard time, I simply ran as fast and as hard as I could on the day. I'm chuffed to bits with my 3h 23m, and I very much plan/hope to do about 3h 10m next year. 

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Burton that sounds like a dreadful experience. Im glad you are ok now.

• Options

I think a show of hands would indicate that Toby3, Snowmaiden and Pooh Bear should jointly have the honour of starting the Brighton Marathon 2015 thread.

Unless someone already has......................

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Bess40 wrote (see)

Also results show less than 9000 finishers but there were supposed to be 18,000 places, Can anyone explain that? 

Loads of people didn't collect their race packs - I know because I loaded them into the van when the Expo closed! I think I heard it was over 4000.

Just under 9000 started - that was reported on race radio.

I've been surprised every year at the number of non starters, I guess it's a mix of

-watching last year, entering, then realising how hard it is

-entering as a back up in case not getting in to London

-getting injured in training

-this year being put off by the weather forecast, although as it turned out it was probably the best running weather BM has had. 

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Something that surprised me was people starting late. 

Race radio said 'The last runner has crossed the start line' Then 5 mins later 'Two more have crossed' and a few minutes on '1 more..' can't remember how many there were, but they must have been very late seeing that it takes 15? mins for everyone who arrives on time and some people were quite a while after that.

Maybe they prefer to have a clear run and not stand in the cold for ages first, with chip time it doesn't matter I suppose. Can anyone explain?

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Good to hear you're OK, I had a sprint from the Hilton to bring some extra stuff down to you (felt a bit daft overtaking proper runners when I was wearing jeans and a hoodie and carrying a sheet and tinfoil blankets!) and was a bit worried to see you on the ground surrounded by St John, paramedics and a doctor.

Marshal who was there said to me later that you looked wobbly, he asked if you were OK, you said you were and the next thing, you collapsed.

As I walked back to the Hilton I saw the 1k to go paint on the road so was gutted for you getting to close. Maybe don't trust Danny as 3:15 train driver next time image 

• Options
    Bess40 wrote (see)

Anyone know why the race doesn't appear in the list of events for us to rate? Also results show less than 9000 finishers but there were supposed to be 18,000 places, Can anyone explain that? 

One of the reasons could be that a few of the timing chips seem to have fallen off the numbers around the course - mine did!

• Options

Hi all well done everyone that finished, another finish and a pb by 2 mins for me, finished in 4:05:18 not the sub 4hr hoping for was on track until the power station when some idiot cut across me at the water table and i had to stop quickly which gave me cramp, took a couple of miles to run it off and too late then to make up the time. Not sure if going to do Brighton again it is a very expensive weekend for us, and not sure I like big marathons, will stick to cheaper more friendly events.

Well done again to everyone, and nose nowt I hope you are ok

• Options

I'm lucky enough to be able to sleep in my own bed the night before the marathon but I understand how it can be a very expensive weekend for some. It does make me smile when people who must have spent hundreds of pounds to run get excited because there is a "free" teabag in their goody bagimage

p.s. I appreciate the dedication of the Kenyans but I don't get why the organisers go out of the way so much to get them there to run. I couldn't name one of them. Maybe it is to get us on Channel 4. 

• Options

Gaz sorry to hear that glad your OK

here's part of an email i had the frist year

The entries we are going to sell, have been handed back to us by Brighton Marathon entrants who have opted to take up their Virgin London Marathon ballot entry, as well as some people who’ve simply had to pull out because of a christening, wedding, injury, illness, holiday, cold feet......you name it, we’ve heard it. But while their loss could be your gain, there are not that many places, so please get ready to make a diary note

• Options
    john2443 wrote (see)

Good to hear you're OK, I had a sprint from the Hilton to bring some extra stuff down to you (felt a bit daft overtaking proper runners when I was wearing jeans and a hoodie and carrying a sheet and tinfoil blankets!) and was a bit worried to see you on the ground surrounded by St John, paramedics and a doctor.

Marshal who was there said to me later that you looked wobbly, he asked if you were OK, you said you were and the next thing, you collapsed.

As I walked back to the Hilton I saw the 1k to go paint on the road so was gutted for you getting to close. Maybe don't trust Danny as 3:15 train driver next time image 

Thank you so much for your help John. I really appreciate it. Although I don't even remember seeing a marshal.

I said I'd give it my all and I did. Maybe too much. Never mind.

• Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

Looking at my splits I must of triggered the 15km mat on the way up to the 9mile mark as I ran a 5km pb image  Next split is way off.  Average is spot on.