Options

My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-4.30 Isabel

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options

Hi!!!! I am just working on my race report. Will post it tonight. Hang in there image 

• Options

And....here is when a runner became a marathoner... image

Finally Friday arrived!!!!!

We met at St Pancras at 8.30 am, all of us with happy faces as a great long weekend was about to start. I don't know how many times I checked if I had packed all the race gear, maybe a few times image

I had the chance to meet Roger's lovely mom and Malcs and Gareth's wives. The journey to Paris took longer than expected but I had a great chat with James who was sitting next to me and with the rest of the team. Also some time to sleep as I was really tired.

By the time we arrived at the hotel my sister Miriam, who has been my unconditional +1 this weekend, was just arriving from Madrid. We got to our rooms, I had a quick lunch (I had prepared my carb loading pasta in London!) and off to the running expo.

This was my first time at a running expo and I have to say it was really big, with plenty of stands and the most important thing: our bibs image So we handed over our medical certificates, got our bibs and I walked around with Gareth and yes…I bought a couple of t-shirtsimage I also had the opportunity to chat for a while with Cathy from Asics who had flew in from Manchester to Paris just to be with us for one day and she gave us a great support. She went back to Manchester on Saturday since the Manchester Marathon was taking place on Sunday and it is sponsored by Asics. We talked a lot about marathon sponsoring, other races sponsored by Asics in the world and about Asics in general. Very interesting!!!!

Back to the hotel, a short visit with the team to the supermarket to buy some supplies like yogurt, etc. and then off for dinner at an Italian restaurant. We were so well taken care of that RW had already thought of a proper place to carb load. Runners carb loading, the others enjoying pizza image I have to say that Ruth's support has been amazing and carb loading is key to prepare for a marathon and endure the race fit and strong. But! I am not having pasta for at least two weeksimage

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3223.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/photo-4.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3219.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3218.jpg

• Options

SATURDAY 

And what a great day we had!!! I woke up and the skies were blue, the sun was shining and my sister had prepared carb load breakfast for me image

It was time for a short run with the team and Steve and Sam. Of course, I used my brand new pink t-shirt with Paris marathon written in big letters. The mood was great, we were all happy and relaxed. We ran at an easy pace for around 20 min. Not that I had any single doubt at all that Roger was going to smash his time at the marathon but when were downhill he was already uphill and when we were half way, he was already coming from the other way around image

Time for a quick shower and then get changed into our brand new race gear for the photo shoot! ( I know you are supposed to try your gear before the marathon but I just couldn't, I wrapped it carefully in paper and put it in the suitcase).

And what an amazing place for a photo shoot!!! The hotel had a lovely terrace on the top floor with amazing views over the city and of course the Eiffel Tower. The photo shoots are always fun. Tom (the photographer), Chris (graphic director) and Dan (videographer) always make things very fun and easy and they are great. We always have lots of fun. I knew there were going to be video interviews but I thought they would take place after the race. Since English is not my mother tongue, and because you always get a bit nervous with these kind of things, I had really struggled with that moment but I thought that with all the post-race boost it should be no problem. But when I saw Katie with the microphone I tried to hide for as long as I could ^_^ She is lovely and Dan is a great guy and they already knew about my struggle so they made things very easy. I did however babble, completely forgot what I wanted to say and felt relieved when it was over image))))))  Then it was time for more fun with personal photos and free to enjoy Paris!!!!

So, I got changed (by the way, I wore compression socks for the whole day on Friday and Saturday) and it was time to enjoy a summer day in Paris. We first went to the Sacré Coeur, which was just 5 minutes away from the hotel and then, bottle of carb load juice in hand, walked down to the city center and had a quick lunch at an Italian restaurant. I had initially planned to go for a quiet walk, meet some friends and have some rest at the hotel, but well, I think we had around 23 degrees, the skies were blue, the sun was bright and I was out until 6:59 pm, as we were meeting at 7 pm for dinner. We visited the Place Vendome, Tuileries Garden, Notre Dame and had a lovely walk along the river up to the Eiffel Tower. There was a very cheerful atmosphere, it was like summer time, people riding bikes or having an ice cream, kids playing…. I also had the opportunity to meet some friends, which was great. And got very excited to see the marathon banners. 

Back to the hotel and off for dinner. James' lovely wife Sara had arrived on Saturday morning so the team was complete. We had dinner at the same Italian restaurant. Back to the hotel again and time to leave everything ready for the race. I went to bed later than I should have (at around 12) but I was so tired that I slept really well. Victor had explained to me on training day two that a bad sleep on the night before does not affect your performance so I was confident that at least 5 to 6 hours of sleep would be enough. And they are, because you wake up so excited about the race that you forget about the rest image

• Options
    /members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3286_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3300_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3294_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3296_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3289_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3274_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3275_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3240_0.jpg

• Options

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3310_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3315_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_0020_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_0025_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3295_0.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_0024_0.jpg

• Options

RACE 

The day started with the alarm ringing at 6 am. We were meeting at the reception at 7 am so I had time to prepare myself and have breakfast quietly. Luckily, my sister prepared the breakfast for meimage We met downstairs, all with smiles but you could also feel the excitement and nervousness of the day ahead. We took a couple of taxis to the Champs Elysees and the excitement doubled when I saw the people arriving to the race. We walked to the Asics VIP area, which was right on the finish line!!!! The VIP area was great and very comfy, there was a changing area, a bar, etc. I was so focused on the race that I actually didn't realise how great that was going to be at the end of the race!!!! Sam and Steve were a great support at that moment. They looked relaxed but at the same time I could also feel the excitement. For Sam, all their charges were first timers!!!

And then it was time for goodbyes and good lucks image Roger, Malcs and James left first and I left with Gareth and my sister Miriam. It was quite a long walk to the start and by the time we got to the pens there were lots of people so the excitement began to multiply by 100 image It was really nice to share with them that moment and made the long wait (our start time was 9.45!) much easier. Gareth was so concentrated but also had time for his funny jokes so I started the race with a smile. My sister was so excited about the atmosphere and to see me so happy.

Here is some practical information about my race. I think I am including all what's important but please feel free to ask any other info and I will be happy to reply. I am doing it in a structured way so it is more useful for anyone who reads or finds this thread.

Carb loading: I did carb load for two days before the race. I think a proper carb load is really a key to endure the race in a good condition. I can't stress this enough. I know it's tough and you may have doubts because you may feel a bit heavy. But those carbohydrates are waiting to support you at mile 23 image For me, it has been key. 

• Breakfast: 1 pot of Activia strawberry yogurt (13 gr of sugar per 100 gr) + 50 gr bowl of Special K cereal + 200 ml of juice (grapefruit and orange)
    • Mid-morning: two slices of toast bread with strawberry jam
    • Lunch: 75 gr of pasta with tomato sauce
    • Mid-afternoon: 1 banana
    • Dinner: pasta. In theory 75 gr of pasta with tomato sauce but I think I had a larger portion as we had dinner at a restaurant. I also had some bread.
    • Before going to bed: 1 pot of Activia strawberry yogurt + 50 gr bowl of Special K cereal
    • Throughout the day: 750 ml of juice (grapefruit and orange)

Race breakfast: (my start time was 9.45)

• First breakfast (6 am): 1 pot of Activia strawberry yogurt (13 gr sugar per 100 gr) with a 50 gr bowl of Special K cereal + two slices of toast bread with strawberry jam + 500 ml of juice (grapefruit and orange) diluted with 250 ml of water. I took the juice with me to the race and sipped to up to 30 min before the race. I couldn't finish the whole bottle though, I think I had 75% of it.
    • Second breakfast (8.15 am): 2 bars of Kellogg's Special K Double Milk Chocolate Cereal Bar + juice

Fuelling during the race:

Right before the start: 1 cube of Clif Bar Shot Bloks Mountain Berry 60g

Gels: in total, I had 6 gels and 2 Clif Bar Shot Bloks.

Right before the start, I had 1 cube of Clif Bar Shot blok and then I had a gel every roughly 40 min in this order: 1 Torq Energy Gel with Guarana Forest Fruits (organic equivalent to caffeine) + 1 Torq Energy Gel Apple Crumble + 1 Torq Energy Gel with Guarana Forest Fruits + 1 Torq Energy Gel Apple Crumble + 1 SIS caffeine berry + 1 SIS caffeine berry + 1 cube of Clif Bar Shot Bloks Mountain Berry. I saved the SIS caffeine gels to the final part of the race because they give me a very high boost and are less gentle to the stomach so I intentionally kept them for the end. 

Hydration: the weather was perfect for me, quite warm, although a bit humid (maximum 18°C and minimum 13°C). It was hot at the beginning but then it got cloudier with a slight breeze, very pleasant! I had initially planned to take a handgrip 30 cl bottle with me, use it for the first 3 miles and then use the water stations. Since it was warmer than expected and I realized I was going to need more water than planned, I kept it until mile 25, refilled it at the water stations and carried it with me. I am very happy I decided to do this. And since it was a handgrip bottle, I was comfortable. I had 90 cl of water in total, I added one lump of sugar to the water at around mile 18 as I felt I was about to cramp. 

Race:

• My plan was first 6 miles at 9:55, then 10 miles at 9:40 and then 10 miles at 9:35
    • I started off too fast (8:56). My initial concern was that it was going to be too crowded so I went a bit faster to find my space and then try to slow down back to my target pace. But I noticed I was feeling comfortable with a bit faster pace and I felt capable to sustain it for 20 miles.
    • I felt really good throughout the whole race and very much enjoyed it. I knew I had been in the best hands for the past 16 weeks and I had followed all the recommendations from Sam, Ruth, Sarah and Victor so I started the race with that confidence.  It was a very special 4h 9 min and 1 sec image The course is beautiful and you run along so many beautiful landmarks.
    • Extra care when you get to the water stations. You may end up with a bottle of water landing in your face. And here is a warning. Avoid by all possible means running close to the oranges and bananas stations. They are dangerous, wild, savage. The ground is full of orange and banana peels, the surface is sticky, and the combination of the oranges and water on the ground is like running over glue. Avoid them. I almost felt twice on the first one and saw many people on the ground. I can't stress this enough. I never swear or say ugly words. I did when I passed by every single station image

Mental approach:

• I am very happy to say I didn't have any crisis and there was not a single moment where I felt weak, heavy or challenged by the race itself. I was actually expecting the opposite but somehow it didn't happen. Mentally, I felt really strong throughout the whole race and in control and I am really happy with this because that was my big question mark at the beginning of the race. Actually, the race was very emotional. I thought of my loved ones, my goals and my challenges, why I was there, what had taken me there and why I was doing this. I am not saying the race was not tough because it is indeed!!! Very much! But being able to be in control gives you a massive boost of confidence, which together with the adrenaline boost of the race itself, it is a great combination image As Sam said: "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" image 
    • However! There was a very challenging moment, I think at around mile 18. I suddenly felt that both of my calves where about to cramp severely in any minute. That was not good news at all. I have been dealing with cramps but  always post-long runs and not during runs. I think I have had a couple of slight cramps in some of my long runs but nothing remarkable. What I suffered on Sunday was a completely different thing. I felt like it was going to happen, not in one calf but in both of them!!!! And that was going to be it. On top of this, I started to see people injured, on the ground, with faces of pain and some of them crying. So... well, that was my moment to deploy all my possible efforts. So, measure number 1: an angel from heaven made it happen just next to a water station where there were also giving sugar cubes so I grabbed one or two, mixed them with water and drank like there is no tomorrow image / measure number 2: I didn't want to stop because I slowed down a little and the cramps increased so what I did is to deepen my stride, like a running-stretching stride / measure number 3: mental! I told myself that cramps do not exist, that the pain was in my imagination and that injured people where just taking a rest image And it worked!!!! I completely forgot about the cramps and back to being 100% image It happened again at mile 23 so I did the same, except I didn't have sugar so I had 1 shot blok. The number of people struggling with injuries and cramps had increased significantly. I was actually quite impressed by how the atmosphere completely changes after around mile 20. There is silence, not so happy faces and it is very sad to see some people crying because they have to call of the race after such a big effort. But you have to keep going and isolate yourself from what you see.
    • My approach to the race was 20 miles + 6 miles. The maximum I had run before the race was 20.4 miles so I knew I could make it, I just didn't know how was it going to be like. The last 6 miles require not only a higher physical effort but also a stronger mental one. They are not easy. You look more anxiously for the mile marks and you feel like they never show up. This is why it is so important to save energy for the end. Always have this in mind! So when I crossed the 20 miles mark I felt something very special. I felt that the support from my family, my loved ones, my friends, my team and everyone I've met in this journey was there for me. My fastest mile in the race was the last one image

Recovery:

• It's amazing. You run for more than 4 hours and you feel strong. You cross the finish line. You stop and you can barely walk!!!
    • Right after the race I had: 1 Kellogg's Special K Double Milk Chocolate Cereal Bar + juice + plenty of water + 1 soya drink + 1 nuun electrolyte tablet
    • Of course, I had my cheese baguette right after going back to the hotel image
    • I stretched a lot when I finished, didn't follow any special routine, just stretched and stretched. On Sunday evening, stairs and sitting down were the most challenging thing that has ever happened to me but on Monday morning, at 7 am, I had to literally run through the train station in Paris with two pieces of luggage not to miss my train and there I was, running again! image 

Race moments:

• Around mile 3 you run along a very beautiful street full of cafes and people having breakfast. The street smells like croissant, which I love. That was tough image
    • I took a shower under every single water sprinkler I met on the way. Loved them!
    • At around mile 14, I suddenly heard my name and I saw my coach Sam and Andrea from Runner's World cheering my up and screaming "go, go, go, you are doing great!!!!". I felt sooooo happy to see them. I wanted to stop and hug them!!! This happened again when I saw Tom, our great photographer, and Chris, our great RW's graphic director, at mile 18. It's great to see familiar faces supporting you.
    • When you make a turn and suddenly see the whole of Paris. No words to describe this.
    • The tunnels: one of them in total darkness, except laser lights, DJs and the Mona Lisa projected in the walls. Amazing!!!
    • My sister had told me she would be in km 25 waiting for me. She had my colourful Asics jacket on so it would be easy for me to spot her. I was so excited to meet her that my legs started to shake from km 23. But she was not there!!!! So my joy changed to "ha, when I see her after the race I am going to have a word with her!!!". And there she was, the happiest face in the crowds waiting for me at km 26. I saw her from far away (thanks to the Asics coat image We kissed, we hugged, and I was the happiest marathoner-to-be image
    • Last two miles: well, they are a great mix of efforts, thoughts and joy. You are almost there!!!!
    • When you start to see the finish line: almost there!!!!!! I sprinted!!!
    • And the race moment I will treasure with me forever is when you are just a few meters away from the finish line and then you see the whole team, their families and my sister all hands up and screaming my name. That gave me wings.
    • When you finish: sorry but there are no words to describe itimage You are a marathoner!!!

My personal advice:

• If you have done your training properly and reach the start line in a good physical condition, the race is driven mostly with the head, I think. It is a great physical effort even if you are fit but being in a good condition and with the confidence that you indeed are, makes things completely different. I would say the race it's you, with yourself and against yourself (if you understand what I meanimage and many obstacles can be overcome. You have to keep strong and go, go and go. Never think you can't, just think how great you are just for the fact of all the hard work you've done to get there. Think of your loved ones, the important people in your life, set yourself personal goals and run.
    • And my most important advise: ENJOY. I did so, from start to end. When things were going great and when I had the cramping moment because I was able to overcome it. And when you cross the finish line, you are ending not only a very tough and intense race, you are putting a great end to many weeks of hard work, so it’s your time to enjoy it because you deserve it image

After crossing the finish line, I headed straight to the Asics area because I wanted to give a big hug to everyone. Ayayay, walking was so tough!!!!!! Time for kisses and hugs, congratulations and high fives from everyone. Everyone had done great. I had to go back to take my medal and finisher t-shirt. That was a tough walk as it was quite far away, close to the exit, and I had to go back to the VIP area, but I was so happy that it didn't matter. 

I had lots of fun after the race. I was really excited to see Gareth crossing the finish line and it was a very emotional moment.

I finally found out my time (it took me a while!) and I was overwhelmed when I realised it was such a great time. So it was a hugging moment again. Everyone was so happy and proud of us, the families, the team and all the people from Runner's World. It was a great time. Once that everyone was back to the stand, it was video interview time. So I was taken by lovely Sam from Runner's World and Dan to a quiet area and had my last interview, which I actually enjoyed image)))

Your first marathon is something big in your live and you may be prepared to run a marathon but I can tell you, you are not prepared for the joy you feel. I thought I was going to cry loads when I crossed the finished line but I couldn't. I just wanted to jump of joy, something I obviously couldn't do as I could barely walk image But I have to confess I cried a lot when I (kind of) walk or duck-walked to collect my medal and my t-shirt. It is all very intense. It’s not about your finish time (I didn't even know mine when I finished)!!! It's about what you have done. I will improve my time in the next races, etc. But this will always be my best race ever.

• Options

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3386.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3366.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3449.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3400.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3369.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3360.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3479.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3460.jpg

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3385.jpg

• Options

And now it's time to say thank you, and I really don't know where to start image

Thank you to my great coach Sam Murphy. You have been a great support and your coaching has taken me to a level I never thought I could reach. I have enjoyed every single day of training, no matter the time I was out running, the distance or if it was intervals or easy pace. I have learnt a lot from you and my way of training has completely changed. It was great to see you cheering me up at the race and I think you have done a great job with James, Gareth and myself. You have made this a reality and took me to the start line with confidence and motivation!!!

My team Malcs, Roger, Gareth, James. Well, what can I say.... I am just honoured to have been in a team with you and I have learnt so much from each one of you. I am proud you have all done so well because you really deserve it. I joined a team, I met excellent people, and I made great friends. Each time I remember this, you will be a great part of it. Thank you for your support and camaraderie, for the laughs and great moments. I wish you all really well and hope to see you soon. (James, Dubai marathon?image 

Ruth: your advice has been so important to me. Thanks for following up on the thread and on the phone. You have always been really kind. I feel good, healthy, fit, strong, recovered and I went to the start line with the confidence that I had the energy to run for more than 4 hours safely, which was very important to me (and to my momimage 

Sarah: I am happy I haven't given you too much work and many thanks for your advice on the cramps and stretching exercises and also your support messages, very much appreciated. Foam roller stays with me image

Victor: thanks a lot for all the tips you gave me on training day too, really useful information.

Steve: you are an inspiration for runners. I am very happy I had the chance to share with you this weekend. Congratulations on the great job with Roger and Malcs,

Big thank you to the Runner's World team: Andrea, Sam, Katie, Tom, Dan, Chris. The amount of love and dedication you have put on this project has been really important for us and I have felt really well taken care of throughout the whole project.

Many, many thanks to Asics, to the people in Manchester and at the stores in London. You have always been there when needed. The running kit that I have with me is the best I could imagine and what can I say...I think I am going to frame my race t-shirt image 

Big thank you to all those who have been in my thread and in twitter. I wish you the best of luck in your races and I hope all the information shared here has been useful for you. Thank you very much for your support and your lovely messages for this weekend. 

Now back to the beginning, the voting stage!!!! A huge big thank you to my friends and my sisters because you are the ones who have made this possible. Your passion and huge involvement have given me the opportunity to enjoy a once in a lifetime experience. All the efforts you put to spread the word, get votes, the laughs, the stress, the joy, the support and being happy because I was happy. I can't thank you enough.

A very special thanks with all my heart to those who have been with me since I started to run, running with me in different countries, being there in the good and the bad and pushing me to go a few steps further. 

Special thanks to my sisters: Miriam and Esperanza. I just can't explain how much I owe them and how involved they have been with me on this.

And thanks from my heart to my mom and dad.

This has been once in a lifetime experience. I am so priviledged to have been part of this project and I have been in the best hands. You only run your first marathon once and with all your help and support, I have been able to make the best of it. The last few months will always be a very special part of my memories. Something I will never forget, something I will always smile at when I remember it. 

I always say that running is not just running, that there is something special, I can’t describe it. But there is an Uruguayan poet and runner who captures all what I feel. I have found the English translation and I think it is the perfect ending to an amazing journey. "Those mad people who run": 

http://documents.clubexpress.com/documents.ashx?key=Rzg0kJS7mZyNonj1%2B4%2FLBaK0kOEHDRyYkcbUB7ujW2vdaS7ZOuFB%2Fw%3D%3D 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

/members/images/699920/Gallery/IMG_3533_0.jpg

• Options

Brilliant report - hoping to have the same kind of experience on Sunday!

• Options
    welshgjewelshgje ✭✭✭

Hi Is, - an amazing report than made me smile from beginning to end. So many things we will forget so to have these reports is just brilliant.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Isabel, what a wonderful report, thank you for sharing it with all of us. 

• Options
    Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Wow Isabel! That is an amazing report, thank you so much for sharing! Fantastic insight and details into all aspects, truly a perfect #asics262 success!

• Options

Great report.  Sounds like you loved every minute.  Sub 4 next!

• Options

A fantastic report, making me feel inspired!! It's great to read everything in so much detail - it feels as if I was there image

I hope that I can manage to have this kind of experience at Edinburgh!

• Options

What a uplifting read Isabel. makes me want to put my shoes on and go for a run.

Oh and welcome to the marathon club image

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

great report.  thank you

• Options

I read it twice as wanted to make sure I missed nothing! What a lovely from the heart report. It has been so lovely meeting  you, all the very best in your next marathon...and the next....image 

Good luck to those running VLM this weekend and thanks for all your question over the weeks .

• Options

Thank you very much Born to go slow. Happy to be on the marathon club image

Thanks a lot StewartC! Very happy indeed.

Many thanks Steve! It has been a real pleasure to share with you this weekend. Thanks for all your support and your wise knowledge. And congratulations on Roger and Malcs who have been brilliant. Good luck on Sunday!!!!

Thank you Pete! I am really happy. How was Manchester?

Thanks a lot Angela and congratulations to you as well!!! What an amazing time!!!!

Thanks MacFinbob!!! I am sure you will do a great race. Just follow the training and the carb loading, do the cross training and enjoy. You will do great I'm sure!

Thank you very much Mary Tibbotts! Best of luck at VLM.

Thanks a lot Rachelcgen!!! I hope you are doing great. The last days before the marathon are tough but it is the final push!!! I will be on the crowds on Sunday image You will do great!!!!!!

Thank you Gareth!!! It has been so nice to share this with you. From one marathoner to another marathoner image

Thanks a lot Mc Hilly, congratulations again on your excellent result. Hope you are recovering well and congrats on surviving to the orange stations as wellimage

Thank you Ai Lyn!!! Thanks a lot for being always there on twitter image

Ruffles, thanks a lot and congrats on your excellent time. I will aim for a sub 4 on the next one image

Thanks a lot Ruth!!! Glad you enjoyed it image It has been a real pleasure meeting you and your wise knowledge stays with me image Wish you all the very best.

Gareth, it's been an honour to share this with you and I regard you as a friend. Thanks for your lovely words and I do also really hope to stay in touch and visit you in Wales. Let's try that undulating course you told me. I am sure I will be breathless!!! And what an amazing weekend we had and good moments we shared. Monaco 2015image Pob lwc and enjoy your success image 

Thank you Sam!!!! Still haven't gone back to earth yet image I couldn't have done it without your excellent coaching and support and I am definitely going for sub 4 for the next one (or at least will try image. It's been great to have you as a coach and friend and will keep you updated. Good luck for you now!!! Getting closer to an amazing challenge!!!!

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Hi Isabel,

It was a great experience absolutely loved it, even though the last 3 miles were horrific image

I had an upset stomach and struggled to drink or take on fuel and therefore really felt it over the last miles.  Having said that I came home in 4:01:29. so very pleased if not STILL sore. 

I really have the bug now even more than previously, and am either going to book Dublin or Frankfurt for October this year and also a half mara in September.  probably this one:

http://www.ashbournerunningclub.org.uk/ashbournehalfmarathon/halfcourse

Sunday 7 September 2014

How about you, what are your running plans for the coming months?

• Options

Big congratulations Pete!!!!! What an amazing time!!! You must be chuffed!!!! Happy to read you absolutely loved it because I think that's the most important thing. I reckon how tough the last 3 miles must have been if you were feeling unwell. And great to read that a second marathon is on your plans image 

As for me, I am seriously considering doing Lisbon marathon on October 5th. I have already registered for Hackney HM in London, June 22nd. Ashbourne HM looks very nice, a bit hilly though! I will give it a thought because the course looks beautiful image 

I went for my first run today after the marathon. My recovery has been great, I have done yoga a couple of times this week and today I felt like going for a gentle run, ended up running 6 miles but feeling very good. 

Have a nice weekend!

• Options

Fantastic that you are already out running Isabel & 6 miles too!!

Pete - that is an amazing time given that you were feeling unwell. I love the area around Ashbourne, but it will definitely be hilly image

I'm still training and have done my longest ever run this morning - 18 miles in 2:49.05 (9:24m/m) , which I am very pleased about. My SIS Apple gels worked well at 5 & 15 miles, but I do not like the flavour of the SIS caffeine berry which I had at 10 miles - it tasted just like cough medicine!! Still, I definitely noticed the difference once I had taken it! My legs didn't hurt for quite some time afterwards!

So, next week - 20 miles if I can work out how to fit it in while visiting my husband's family (in Staffordshire) for Easter. 

Isabel, will you be watching the London marathon anywhere tomorrow? 

• Options

Wow Isabel what an awesome race report and loved all the pics, well done on your great performance and remember this is just the beginning! It is hard not to get hooked. You are a warm friendly wonderful person, thank you for being such a great pert of the team

• Options

Hi MacFinbob!   Congrats on the 18 miles, very well done!!! It's great to have the confidence that you are almost there. hehehe, and welcome to the club of SIS caffeine boost image Have you tried Torq gels?   I went to the London Marathon on Sunday morning, there was an amazing atmosphere. I first went to the London Eye (I think around mile 25) and saw Mo Farah. The crowds went crazy when he arrived!!! Also saw the leading female runners. And then I went to Monument with a friend and cheered the 3.30 and 4.00 runners. The atmosphere was amazing and people were really supportive. I am definitely entering the ballot for next year, fingers crossed!!!!   Good luck with your 20 miler this weekend and have a happy Easter!!!  

Thank you for your nice words Roger! Yes, this is just the beginning and I am already planning to run a sub 4 marathon this year!!! It has been great to have you on the team, always in good mood and with such energy!!!! Hope to see you sometime in London, have a great holidays!!!

• Options
    So you didn't stay around long enough to cheer me??? image I hit my target if 4:30 and am very happy image
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Congrats Rachel, great running! I was also there watching and loved the event, I'm sure the crowd cheering must help in those last few miles, but it was hot which must have made it tough!

I'm off to Guernsey this weekend for their Easter festival of running, it sounds like a great event and I'm hoping all my marathon training means I'll have lots of energy for 10k and half marathon!