Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Cheers TR.  Actually, I reckon you'd have been proud of me - the sports doctor said I could probably get away without the boot as it's more of a hairline crack than a severe fracture but in my newfound spirit of prudence I thought it best to put myself in one to facilitate healing up as best as possible...

Meant to say, DrD - do I beat you on the weight gain front?! 

• Options

Hi all. Must get myself a profile picture! Thanks to everyone, pretty overwhelmed with all the advice you've all given! Really appreciated! 

Lev, Dr Dave - May I ask what BAC stands for? Thanks both for the advice, actually really looking forward to start marathon training. Other than 10 days away in January (meaning no running unfortunately) I have no commitments getting in the way of the training! I'm itching to find out whether I get a place for London through the club ballot, the club are just waiting to hear back from the organisers over how many places the club gets allocated. If I don't get a spot, then Manchester is my backup plan which I ran last year. 

Selbs - Cheers for advice! When you say medium-long runs being 'hard', how hard should these be ran at? MP? Bearing in mind the plan is to incorporate this into my 4x1 mile reps. So perhaps 1 mile warm up, 4x1 mile reps (with 2min recovery inbetween each rep) and then perhaps, for example, 9 miles after to complete the MLR or however many miles P&D training plan states. One issue I have with the P&D training plan is that there is no real indication over rough pacing and how hard sessions should be run. 

CharlieW - Many thanks for the advice, I guess I've already asked the question ovr how hard/how much welly I should be giving it in terms of pacing. MP?

As for me, I did 2x5x400m at 10K tonight with 200m recovery in between each rep. 15 min warm up and cool down. Nothing too fierce. Legs have been jaded though this week, probably over-cooked it at the weekend with 9 on sat (inc. Parkrun) and 15 hilly miles (984ft elev.) on Saturday. Planning on 4 easy miles tomorrow morning then giving myself Friday night and Saturday to rest before the Dash on Sunday image

Aside from fellow dashers, is anyone else racing this weekend? 

• Options

Bluemoon -- it's a bit hard for me to say because I do these with a 2kg rucksack, but if I start my MLR with some 0.5M to 1M reps and try and do the last few miles as a tempo, I certainly can't do that tempo at MP, even if I try to max out effort-wise. So I'd just run pretty hard, enough to be somewhat uncomfortable but not killing yourself, once you've jogged a mile or two to recover from the reps. But of course I'm making this up as I go along!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Lev - good man

Bluemoon - I think you'd be better off sticking with something like p and d , they explain the paces. The danger of being on here is getting sucked into thinking you need to do more, run faster and end up smoking yourself. Trying to introduce mile reps into mlr's or running mlr's hard might not fit well with the rest of your training. Folks have run 2:2X and 2:3X off p and d on here. You have to survive the campaign and have enough matches left for race day.
  • Options

Lev and TR usually weigh myself most days but that has stopped post marathon as too scared to go on the scales! However TR if you are looking for a 'fat pic' opportunity on Sunday I'm afraid you'll be disappointed as I'm still a skinny waif just with loss of muscle more fat and the smallest of small belly overhangs (you might need a magnifying glass to spot it!). I'll be in my customary bright orange vest which I've worn every race for 2 years, very short black shorts and for the first time racing in the boost 2 that gave me that horrid blister a few weeks back. Brave as I've only done about 30 miles in them but getting used to them now and keen to try a lighter shoe

Bluemoon bac stands for bournemouth athletic club and are sessions designed by marigold (steve way) they are great for speed endurance as a mixed session but I agree with TR they are hard sessions and I'd make sure you are comfortable with the increased mileage/adding MLR in middle of week first

examples are 4x15 mins MP (2-3 min recovery), 20 mins MP followed by 4x4 mins 5k then 20mins MP. 24, 18, 12, 6, 3 mins starting at MP and progressing faster off 2-3 mins, working towards longer sessions (4x18 mins or 30 mins 4x5 min (5k) then 30 mins). you'll be able to see more if you look up marigold's website or bac he has training schedules up there

Hope that makes sense, they are tough and often end up more like a LR with warm up/down, the longest one can easily get you to 20 miles so definitely not to be taken lightly!

lev heal up well.....rest rest rest and enjoy the food and beverages like me image you sound like you're doing well...more pbs to come in 2015 if you do

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

selbs - good to get a proper assessment of the foot and well done on being cautious! Nice weight gain as well, bet you enjoyed it!

TR - sounds like you're still putting in the hours.

Gave running a day off yesterday, so a turbo last night and another this morning. Did some hard efforts this morning - 20x(30s hard, 60s easy), then thought I'd try to hold the "hard" effort for as long as possible. Managed 3 mins at 365W (and maybe could have gone to 4 or 5 mins) which shows that most of the time I'm not trying hard enough!

Can still feel the foot slightly from Wednesday's run, so will probably give running a miss again today. Might do the park run tomorrow instead of a LSR as I expect that will be better on the foot, but will see how it feels in the morning.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dr dave - you'll stick be pretty fast. Orange is so last yr ( and many years beofre - see my avatar). Blue moon could do the bac session and a long run only plus all.easy running, but with a mix of ideas and him thinking of doing his mile reps session in a mlr I think he'd be better off following a schedule as a whole.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - good turbo backing up there. I thought of doing the turbovember thing wher you do some every day, but I'll save that until it gets cold. I'm still doing a reasonable amount but trying not to do too much, by having the odd swim only day and limiting the long run to 90min.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dr dave - you'll stick be pretty fast. Orange is so last yr ( and many years beofre - see my avatar). Blue moon could do the bac session and a long run only plus all.easy running, but with a mix of ideas and him thinking of doing his mile reps session in a mlr I think he'd be better off following a schedule as a whole.
  • Options

tr re your avatar its the same get up as mine, my daughter saw your picture and said "look its you daddy" image anything to tell me??

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Padams think you have got me and Lev mixed up!  note... he is the one who is really fast, and i am the one who already has the weight around my middle from too much beer.

Bluemoon - with regard to the medium long run and how hard - for me i would do minimum 10 miles, up to about 14 miles, and after a warm up, i'd tend to try and run it progressively starting at about goal marathon pace, and by end usually a little faster than what ended up being marathon pace, but slower probably than HMP!!  It's a hard session i think (but not as hard as some of thpose BAC sessions, which just sound too much for me), especially when try to do about 10 miles at MP or a tiny bit faster.  Like TR says though i'd make sure you don't try and do too many things, and following a programme like P&D can't be bad.  For me, i don't follow a specific programme but try and keep it simples, i just did 2 key sessions a week for 8-9 weeks, being the long run, and that medium long run.  No speed sessions as such, most of the reast of the running was steady to easy.  Every now and then if i felt OK, i might to a 5-6 miles tempo.

good luck to anyone racing this weekend, ive had another blow out week of lots of beer and not best food and little training, so tomorrow planning on hitting the mud in the heath in my shiny new trail shoes for 10-12 miles.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

selbs - yes, sorry. For some reason I always confuse the two of you!

• Options

Seems everyones having blow out weeks image

Lev - good luck with the recovery, great that its not too serious and you probably need the rest anyway.

Selbs - no avoiding those puddles!

Good luck everyone who's racing at the weekend.

40mins on the excercise bike for me this morning.

Rest tomorrow (well watching the rugby down the pub) the A20 half marathon on Sunday

• Options

Lev -- hope it heals nicely.

It's TR & Electric Sheep who are avatar twins here!

Jogged a pointless couple of miles in circles so I'd make it to a 60M week after dropping the car off for its MoT (hence a rare drive to my work village), but while jogging I could tell I'd overdone it this week, just by doing that near-marathon tough session on Sunday and then commuting doubles from Tues on without giving the legs proper time to recover. Rest tomorrow I think, back to it properly on Sunday (no race this w/e but a heavy college dinner due tomorrow, so I'll have some calories/port to burn off...).

• Options

CW - Whaaaaat?

My vest is red and TR's is clearly orange! image

• Options

(((Lev))) - that sucks.  Try not to die of boredom during the core work.  A proper break can do you wonders, however.  I barely ran (or cross-trained) for the whole of December last year and although I had a slow start to the year as a result, it's fair to say that August/September/October all went pretty well image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DrD - your daughter was born years after that photo was taken.

Jools - downtime is important and can indeed lead to improvement. Its one of the things the pro's are getting pretty hot on.

Electric sheep - you can borrow my orange singlet, it knows its way round vlm in under 3hrs pretty well by now.

Think I smoked my legs a bit y'day with the turbo and swim double, so I woke them up with the 30sec session in my trainers today.
  • Options

Hello again. I've been away on my hols then busy trying to catch up with my life and laundry (not quite there yet). I hope to have time to read and contribute again now. Have I missed anything of vital importance? Monster PBs? A hell of a lot can happen on here in 2 weeks!

• Options

Evening all!

Up at the crack of dawn (6am) for a very very easy 4 (7:55 m/m) plod this morning after session last night. Weary legs this week, resting now for the Abbey Dash on Sunday. Bath and a foam roll seems to have helped somewhat!  Suitably prepared tonight by stuffing my face with chocolate. Energy, right? 

Good work on the 60m week, Charlie W

Happy running with this weekend all, and good luck to those racing. Fellow Abbey Dashers, I look forward to hearing about your race!

Rich. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC2 - jools smashed it.
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Hi all, mega busy at work but 1 week to go then I can relax a bit.  Not trained much this week and feel so tired I'm getting the train to Leeds!

Thr, Jools, Bluemoon, et al see you there! I'll be in Royal Navy vest I'd be disappointed but not surprised with over 36 min.  35:xx B goal, sub 35 a pipe dream this time I fear.

TR - enjoy Gosport.  Hopefully not too windy.

ENjoy your half Keith!

• Options
    My new Garmin thinks my 5k best is 22.26 and my 10k best is over 46 mins so it will hopefully be pissing its pants with excitement even if I run a season's worst, which seems fairly likely. Definitely acquired a few lbs since Frankfurt and my definition of sensible last night was to leave before the karaoke but after the beers and prosecco. Oops.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

good luck those racing this weekend!  10.5 miles for me this morning at about 8:20 pace in the mud around/in Hampstead Heath.

100km world champs this Friday i think to keep an eye out for with a couple of the old fredders racing.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - call it carb loading, I had a few snifters last night too.

Toro - you're sub35 fit , zip up the man suit.

2.5 hrs of bike/run done in a 41m/2m styliee, copped a few heavy showers but it was nice to be outside smashing it.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    That mean the forecast not great for fast time tomorrow TR?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    The new course is up and down the prom so bound to be wind affected. Same conditions for all but cant see it being a fast day.
  • Options

Yes, that was one of the last things that happened before I jetted of to warmer climes. It's still fab though. Jools, you deserve some time off! 

I've been racing myself fit (ish). Highlights were getting round the National XC only 8 seconds slower than last year and finishing 4th lady in the 18km Guadiana road race behind two Portuguese olympians and Clare Elms. It was only a smidge faster than marathon pace though. Next year I'll take them downimage

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC- how saucy !

Selbs - still think I can run a sub80 untapered though. I did it at the solent 1/2 last yr and its a slower course.
  • Options

TR - Borrowing the "lucky" vest would be too much pressure!

Easy 4mi this morning. I am racing a 10K at Regent's Park tomorrow.

Good luck to all the Abbey Dashers and other racers this weekend.

• Options

Been too busy this week to post and have a slightly painful ankle so not much running either.

Good luck to those racing this weekend.Especially to Banksy in Valencia.

I am looking forward to meeting up with DrD again and seeing TR. Sounds like we will all be in orange vests but suspect DrD will have the shortest shorts...

Selbs -  have you christened the x-talon 212s in the mud yet?