Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Thanks Malcs!

That pace felt ok. For a good portion of the race I was in a small group with similar pacing and that made such a difference compared to the lonely slogs of the LSRs.

Energy levels have been ok since. That was until I read that packing list.

I now need a lie down.

• Options
    BK CAnter wrote (see)

Thanks Malcs!

That pace felt ok. For a good portion of the race I was in a small group with similar pacing and that made such a difference compared to the lonely slogs of the LSRs.

Energy levels have been ok since. That was until I read that packing list.

I now need a lie down.

I know exactly what you mean. image  I read Malcs list and thought the same. I also have booked an extra day off next week to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. image

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Crikey it's bad enough when you do a marathon on home soil, far more stressful packing for one abroad - so much to remember image

Malcs - OMG those 400m reps are amazing!  And it reminds me I haven't done any short intervals for this campaign - maybe I should? Although I might not post my times as they will be so much slower!

Tim - good session last night in the gales. Hope the foam rolling has sorted your calf out.

I missed my run yesterday (train troubles meant I was late into work and late getting home and then just CNBA...). Actually probably a good thing as it gave me another day for my DOMS to calm down....really feeling it in my quads after Sunday. Anyway, today was another day and I got out for 6 miles tempo pace, averaged 7.15. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I see list appearing - it must be almost marathon time??? image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello all.  Sorry for disappearing for a bit -  life has jest been very busy and been working late quite a bit.  Unfortunately, social media is blocked from work computers, just as well really....

Anyway, I is back!

I've had a brief read but not had time to go all the way back. 

Angela's pb was noted elsewhere but for the forum record - Well done Angela! image  And I have to stick up for your OH a bit here: he has got so used to you PB'ing that its become the norm!  But I'm sure he will realise the importance from now on!

Freemers - great run again from you.  You are really going strong at the moment.  Do you have a race plan yet?

Superman - you do hangout with the right people, don't you?!! I really like Nell and he approach to running, food etc.  I will check out that link.  It seems all is going well from you now?  Are you back on track?

Malcs - It all seems good for you too?

Sam - lol!  Detoxing is not joyous! What a waste of a holiday!!image  Any running from you yet?

• Options

Malcs

Good post -you have been trained well ; )

Speaking of getting organised I am still waiting for info on race day timings mainly what time breakfast is served, what time you are leaving hotel and so on - all these things planned for can make a different to your "head" on race day. image

• Options

Some of you may be interested to read my thoughts on fat loading and train low, compete high diets here:  http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/asics-nutrition-clinic/low-carbing-gf-or-52-alternative-diets-for-runners/13128.html

• Options

Freemers Sometimes a missed session can be a blessing! Well done on your run today, nice tempo pacing!

Minni Yay!!! Good to hear from you. All is going swimmingly here. I am riding the crest of a wave of confidence to my run in Paris. Did you notice I put a little Tri link there for you. Seriously, all going well and just want to get to the start line now really. Taper maranoia is setting in where every twitch is a niggle and where every germ is flu. The last few LSR's have been brilliant, nice pacing, feeling strong at the end and I noticed from my 22 miler the other week, I actually did a 21 mile PB on the way so that and a cheeky parkrun PB has boosted confidence.

Hope all is good with you!

• Options

Ruth excellent Q&A there, I recommend its worth a read to anyone following this thread. I have put the link here.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/qanda-with-asics262-nutritionist-ruth-mckean/288286.html

• Options
    Hi BRB - I just got in from the track a very happy bunny but now I want to do Yassos! Maybe next week. Well done, what a boost.

Super - dreams tend to mean the opposite of the obvious interpretation, and I should know. At college I had a t-shirt gift designed by a friend which said *Melanie Klein, Melani Grose - Freud With Onions*

You must now go and do the bike thing, it is quite easy, I stopped as soon as I didn't like it, and I'm sure you would go beyond your comfort zone, however it didn't even cross my mind to stand up against the resistance, doh.

Phew on the calf.

Chicksta - I have aspired to daily running, and will aim to do a strectch of that when not training for anything in particular, I am beyond impressed at your results for March, it's very Ron Hill.

Malcs - your 400s just blow me away. Love the list. I have a list that I keep and have used for VLM & York + trips to track and road competitions, or indeed trips in general.

Something happens to my brain such that a list is required. Just me huh.

Freemers that tempo session is thanking you for the rest I'm sure.

So I decided to divert for the first time since Sam wrote it in 2013 from my schedule which specified warm up 1.5 then 3 out @ 8:50, back faster + CD in favour of Pocket Rocket sub 4 Amy's version in which the middle 6 miles alternate between 9 & 8 min miles.

Was excited and nervous going out as unsure if I could do it, but au contraire I had to hold back on every rep despite strong headwinds and crosswinds, assisted of course by the odd strong gust behind me. 9s came in @ 8:50, 8s @ 7:50, easy and focused. So happy with this.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I missed the link Superman - Soz. Can you post it again? Although my love for tri is not flourishing today....
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Minni - race plan is to go out between 7.20 and 7.30, depending on the congestion with the celebs at the start. I remember it was worse last year than the year before, but hopefully can get past them quickly.  Then mile 3 will be sub-7 to take advantage of the downhill, and then rein back to 7.20-7.25 pace and keep it steady.  I'd like to go through half way in 1.36.xx and then see what happens from there image

Where will you be spectating from - are you going to move around or stay in one place?  If I know I can try and give you a rough ETA so I can get a Minni cheer image

Malcs - will you be at 10 miles again?

• Options
    Freemers wrote (see)

Minni - race plan is to go out between 7.20 and 7.30, depending on the congestion with the celebs at the start. I remember it was worse last year than the year before, but hopefully can get past them quickly.  Then mile 3 will be sub-7 to take advantage of the downhill, and then rein back to 7.20-7.25 pace and keep it steady.  I'd like to go through half way in 1.36.xx and then see what happens from there image

Where will you be spectating from - are you going to move around or stay in one place?  If I know I can try and give you a rough ETA so I can get a Minni cheer image

Malcs - will you be at 10 miles again?

That would be great to know where you are Malcs / Minni I will be substantially slower than Freemers but would love to see you both.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice pace planning, Freemers. I remember when we were all aspiring to run a 1:36 half marathon so we would break 3:30 in the full. Now it's your plan for the first half and a realistic one at that image

Hello to Minni (winks image)

Thanks for all the nice comments regarding my March challenge. I was just lucky that I didn't pick up any lurgies or injuries, TBH. That would have stopped me in the tracks. So I'm still light years away from a certain Dr. Ron Hill image

No April challenges planned - in fact today is a REST day image. April will involve less miles and the attempt at something resembling speework so that my relay leg at the Prague marathon won't be the slowest ever recorded for our team image

• Options
    chicksta wrote (see)

Nice pace planning, Freemers. I remember when we were all aspiring to run a 1:36 half marathon so we would break 3:30 in the full. Now it's your plan for the first half and a realistic one at that image

Hello to Minni (winks image)

Thanks for all the nice comments regarding my March challenge. I was just lucky that I didn't pick up any lurgies or injuries, TBH. That would have stopped me in the tracks. So I'm still light years away from a certain Dr. Ron Hill image

No April challenges planned - in fact today is a REST day image. April will involve less miles and the attempt at something resembling speework so that my relay leg at the Prague marathon won't be the slowest ever recorded for our team image

Yay Chicksta nails a rest day. image  Very well deserved!!!

• Options

Omg, This thread is tooo fast!  Just got back from overnight babysitting.  My sister and her hubby had the luxury of their first date since nephew was born  - he was 8 weeks yesterday, and a grizzly little fella!  I did manage a short run around Dulwich when I arrived yesterday, and didn't know whether to chuckle, or feel like a super star as some bloke shouted "Olympian" as I ran past... anyways, let me try and catch up with everybody image x

• Options

Superman/ Reiki - I think with the Body composition analysis, what is more important is the trend. I find that either measuring LOADs (as in multiple times in a day) or not very often (once a month) works best.  I have a set of scales that do this electrical impedence that I use for my clients.  It seems to give quite likely results for my clients when they first come to me, having not been very active, but they come with a caveat that they are not all that accurate for athletes.  When I was on my PT training course, and told the instructor that my scales were saying I was approx 30% body fat, he looked at me and said ‘yeah right’.  They then did a skinfold caliper test on me, and got to 15 %, which I also think is wildly wrong.  What I care more about is the fact it said 30% at the start of this year and 28% yesterday - so I’m getting leaner, even if the figure isn’t quite right.  How do I explain it?  When you look at Cadavas, which is where body density levels come from, you typically see higher density in africans… (This is also my excuse for be so bad at swimming - I don’t float so well).

Malcs, Sub 1:30 is certainly a key goal assuming I get this BQ at London.  How cool would it be to get on the championship start!!??  Of course I would have to join a running club - after my running at Essex 20, one of the coaches at the Colchester Harriers came up to me at parkrun recommending I join them… (having tried it twice before and not being particularly welcomed I’ll hold fire for now….)

Your spitfire run was amazing.  You are a constant source of inspiration for me - the fact that 3:30 was a long time goal of yours and now you’re pushing for sub 3 gives me so much confidence!  Which marathon are you doing?  Great welsh?

I like the packing list - I may ask you to post again ahead of London - are you coming to watch or is that the same day as your race now?

Thanks SamMurphy! Your retreat sounds horrid!  700kcal per day- I’m sure that would lead to severe headaches and listlessness. Do you feel it had a positive effect though?

Isabel, Its great you’re finding a way to stay involved with running despite your injuries.  Volunteering really is important.  Whilst most running events are run for profit, imagine how expensive they would be without volunteers!  RW had a great article a few years back about a year of running, and I tried to follow it - as well as having each of the typical race distances taking up a few of the months, it also had, doing trail running, running to help someone else, and volunteering as key things to do - I think I followed that idea in 2012, which was a year where I was dogged by injury and I think it really helped me re-find my passion for running when I had not been able to run much!

Chiksta- well done on your March runstreak!

BRB- great Yassos!!!

Superman - Love your edited goals list  - I have to say I’m quite nervous to plan goals beyond this marathon. I’ve been working toward this since 2012, and its such a big deal for me- Although I am confident, I don’t want to be overconfident in case something goes wrong.

Minni!  Thanks - OH will be pleased you’re sticking up for him!  Sooo on triathlon related news, I entered a facebook competition on Wiggle and won!!! I’m gonna get a free pair of cycling gloves!! Soo excited!! image

Ruth  - I saw your article when M

• Options

Ruth  - I saw your article when Minni posted it on facebook - didn’t have a chance to read the whole thing, but what I did read was great- you are so matter of fact and present a really realistic view!

Freemers, interesting to see your race plan - one of my local runner friends complained of getting stuck behind the Kenyan PM;s wife last year off the GFA start.  I remember their entourage creating quite a bottle neck when we joined up with them around mile 4 or 5 but I was surprised they would have affected the GFA so much… Sooo 1:36 first half… is it wrong to say that I felt I could have gone on at about 7:30 pace for a fair way in Colchester half?  I know my time would have been 1:35:xx if I hadn’t gotten bunched in at the start - whilst it didn’t feel a marathon paced effort by the end - I sped up significantly in the last 1-2 miles…. hmm, I’m trying to figure out my conversion.  1:36 half suggests just scraping 3:30, whereas my 20 milers suggest I’m happy at a sub 3:25 pace in the 20 mile area… Hmmm, What will be will be I suppose...

• Options

I dont need to say anything. Angela's post is so good it says it all.  Thanks Angela!! 

imageimage

I totally agree with you about Body Composition. I trained with Brighton & Hove Albion FC a few seasons ago and they would take the players fat composition by the skinfold calliper test. Some of the players only had 6%, unbelievable. Personally I would agree with wanting to see a trend but I would want to measure, say every month, to get a feel for how a long term movement was.   And like you I look at Malcs achievements and see how far he has come since the breaking of sub 3-30 and now wanting to go sub 3. Maybe thats a step to far for me but he gives me great confidence (as do you) of me being able to go sub 3.30.

• Options

Todays session: 45 mins slow. 

Went out with only a stop watch and ran for time. I measured it on mapmyrun afterwards and I ran just shy of 5 miles. It was unbelievably windy, gusts which seemed to stop you in your tracks. I was thinking of all my good runs during tonights session. From my track PB at bootcamp to my parkrun PB last week. From Finchley 20 miler to my 22 miler last week and the excellent carb loading achieved. Some excellent positive vibes and feelings were bouncing around. And then I slipped off the kerb. And thought Id broken my ankle. Bloomin tapering and maranoia is playing havoc with me. There was nothing wrong with me except an over active imagination. Is it just me having these thoughts? 

I am heading to bed early tonight. I want to start banking some early nights and sleep when I can. 

Thanks for all the posts again today, every day of this whole training plan has been brilliant. image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

BK - ha image Deep breaths. All will be fine!

Given what you've said you just have to feel you're in a great position to do this. Start at 7:55-8mm pace and stick to it all the way. You'll have plenty of company in Paris image

Ruth McKean 2 wrote (see)

Malcs

Good post -you have been trained well ; )

Thank you master *bows head in respect* image

What's the latest on the injury? Any improvement?

Freemers - I just know you're going to nail it this time! Yes, I'll be at the same spot as last year, Swiss flag in hand as it would appear I am useless at spotting you lot and that at least makes me a target for you to shout at. 

Hopefully I'll have DS2 with me as well for encouragement in stereo! image

Minni! - so great to see you back! Hmm, what's up with the tri? 

How's the running part going? I can't remember but are you doing York or did you decide not to do a marathon this year and just focus on getting back into things?

Where are are you planning to view London this year? Whatever happens I'll see you in the usual haunt afterwards image

Chicksta - I think all germs have stayed clear of you for fear of being dragged out into the world's worst weather every single day for a monthimage

Angela - congrats on the competition win! image

Yes, I'm doing the Great Welsh again. It's the week before London so I get mine out of the way before coming up to shout "Keep on Running" and other such words of wisdom at you lotimage

Tim - I'll say this, one of the biggest factors in getting me to where I am now has been massive encouragement from other runners on these forums who know what they are talking about. You've got to believe it's possible and when enough people tell you it is (and why it is) then that makes it a whole lot easier.

I'll give you one reason why I know you can do this. You just did a 19.5 5K. Add a minute per km to your pace (1min 35 ish per mile) and that's going to feel dead easy. So that's 24.5 mins per 5K. Multiply by 8.4 (8.4 x 5km = 42km) and you get 3hrs 26 - comfortably under 3:30. 

Once you've done that it's just a matter of getting faster. Easier said than done I know but I really think can do that (I think Angela can go quicker too). After Paris why not focus on speed and see what happens. Just let me know before you start so I can get down to Ladbrokes first image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Malcs - I decided not to take up my deferred place for York as I couldn't visualise where I'd be, running wise, in Oct. However, my fingers were very naughty and entered me into the Marine Corps Marathon, also in Oct, before my brain registered what was happening. Needless to say I got a blooming place!!

Running is going fine. Everything short, slow and off road at the moment.

Angela - I meant to ask how your swimming is going? I had a one to one lesson yesterday and it really improved my stroke (made me think of your video) however, at tri club tonight I'm straight back to my old habits as I struggle for survival. I wondered if you found the same?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Superman - it took me ages to break 3:30 and everyone kept telling me that once you do it you'll never go over 3:30 again (so to speak) and it's true. I think once you go through that barrier you get a new confidence that carries you forward. You don't need any heroics, 3:29:59 will do just fine.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Evening!  Very exciting, anticipation building image

ten miles tonight, first mile in 8:39, then 7:50's, all very good, but my left thigh has started to cramp up again, after Monday's hills I expect. But a great run overall, one of those where you can't wait for the next one.

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Freemers - I know that London has a downhill bit but can't remember really noticing it. But just looked back at my 2013 splits and miles 3 & 4 were 7:40 and 7:37. Is mile 4 downhill too or was I just a bit enthusiastic at the start image

Question for everyone when racing. Do you have your Garmin showing average pace or current mile pace. Mine can only show one and I usually opt for average pace as it involves less maths and not having to remember how fast I've done the previous miles.

Superman - has Sam advised you yet re what pace to start at?

I hadn't thought about congestion at the green start as when I ran it before I was in quite a fast pen (and actually purposely moved myself back). It only took 59 secs to pass the start line. But I'm not going to start fretting over something I can't control.

Spending Easter in the Dales so will need to do my final long run up there. Hoping to find a nice flat 22 mile route. Fat chance!

Malcs - I'm loving the Maths calculations. Makes it all sound very easy image
  • Options

Minni- confession: I haven't swum since that tri training day ???? truth be told I've been too busy to even fit all my runni g in, which is great for my business but I need to make sure I keep the lifestyle im going it alone for!

i think after getting the technique right it's still about staying calm amongst others.  With running I get really nervous for important races- doesn't cause me breathing problems but for those with more tendency for anxiety than me, it does- I think you and I are quite similar in our discomfort with swimming. So for me at least it's about gettino out of that comfort zone as much as poss Ahead of race so that it becomes more comfortabl...

• Options

SK- my garmin is set per mile- if i have a s**t mile I want to forget about it- when it's only a matter of seconds that shouldn't matter in a marathon but If it's more than that it probably isnt your day 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Me too, if my pace is out i prefer to know immediately, poor sense of pace is why I bought a garmin in the first place!

i read. Great tip on the forum a few years ago, set your stopwatch timer to count down your mile time on repeat, so for 3:30 it will bleep every 8 minutes, and you can see where you are vs the mile marker.

• Options

It's so lovely to read all the positivity on here.  Tim - we're all rooting for you to smash 3.30 in Paris.

I think the way my training has gone down the pan, will be hopeful of scraping a PB at VLM.  I'm a bit grumpy today as am feeling pretty rubbish but really want to recover asap to get my last LSR in this weekend before the taper begins.  I just feel like all the energy I had a month ago has been sucked out of me and my runs feel laboured.  Not good.  I have to just keep reminding myself that there is still just over 3 weeks ago...and this is what you get if you spend 3 weeks sunning yourself and not running on your honeymoon! image