Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Ok, so everytime I download my Manchester marathon certificate, it reads 3:30:04. Quite keen on my chip time really.  Harrumph!

GM, if it helps, it took me 8 attempts to get under 3:30. I came really close twice: 3:30.15 at Chester and 3:31:24 at Manchester. The Chester Marathon was a 12min PB and I was delighted for around 16secs. Then I started doing the whole analysing thing. I also had the pleasure of watching a 3:30 pacer disappear into the distance. You will get there.

Soups, awesome parkrun PB, stuff of dreams for me. Not going to get that pushing a buggy.

Malcs, seems to be a pattern on this forum for the man/woman of the moment to go onto immense times. Well done and maybe see you at York again. 

To everyone on this forum, thank you for your support. I was giddy at sharing the news with people who can appreciate what it means to achieve such a PB. Plus the humour and culinary advice has been second to none. Mrs Hans was just relieved that there was a successful chip time. She was pleased not to have to live with grumpy me for a third time.

• Options

Oh and if I ever get the chance to hug Ruth for the nutritional advice. I am confident that a bald stranger attacking her for cuddles wouldn't be that terrifying. I kept waiting to detonate in the last 6 miles but the carboload and gels carried me through.

Good luck to all the VLM runners. I'll keep my eyes open on TV for superhero costumes. Oh wait it's London Marathon, those are dime a dozen! Swiss flag maybe?

• Options

Hey Superman, I am back from my family holiday in Lanzarote and have been re-reading the past few weeks of the forum (only managed to get a few glances whilst away) 

once again massive congratulation on breaking sub3:30, so so pleased for you image 

Although I managed to get out for a few runs whilst away, my longest run was 7 mile. And not having your will power I consumed quite a large amount of food and alcohol whilst away, hoping it doesn't affect my performance on Sunday too much.

I am number 4636 - Blue Start. So hope to meet some of you by the infamous church bench. if I arrive in time, as I'm travelling up by coach image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

We're gonna need a bigger bench!I

Went out for a brisk 5 miler earlier...cramp...tight calves...groin pain...must be taper time.  Off to the expo tomorrow, 

• Options

Hans C Great post buddy, you deserved your time and testament to the fact nothing good ever comes easy and the more you want it, the harder you try, the nearer you get, the harder it can become. So pleased you got your time.  

Sean Hope you had a good holiday my friend. Was the weather good? Thanks for all your support, I will not forget that tweet back in October pushing me not to forget my dreams and come back for a sub 3.30 push here. It is things like this which kept me going. And now on to bigger things. A bench for one!! image

Puffsta Keep it together. That taper maranoia is awful. I have today broken my toe (twice), torn my hamstring (three times) , developed manflu (eight times) and now have the most serious of ingrowing toenails known to human kind. Reckon I will be fine for Sunday though. image

I hope no-one gets to the bench before us Sunday!! Anyone know how we can book it? image

And finally, to those who have kindly donated to my charity, both publicly and anonymously, I am so grateful. 

LONDON BABY!!!! image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

thanks Tim glad to know I'm not alone. I forgot about the black toenail on my left foot guess I can get it amputated at the expo. 

Just bought a copy of trail runnibg mag to tea on the train to the expo cracking photo of Angela in the supplement you can just make out those nails image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    We're off to Hungary tonight and I'll most likely be offline until we get to Budapest next week.

So best of luck to the VLM crew. May the force be with you. Remember: HTFU and don't be shitimage
  • Options

Puffsta, I think on around page 20-30, there's an even bigger piccie of me and RRR image 

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Expo done - in and out in under 5 minutes which has to be a record! Just time to grab some pace bands (3.15 and - what the hell - 3.10) and a goody bag.

Excited now....especially hearing the London Marathon music on the way in!
  • Options
    sensesense ✭✭✭

super and others willing to share - what are your race numbers for vlm?  There's a tracking app set up now so I'm just sorting out my favourites! excited for you all

• Options

27921  I'm heading to the expo on Fri- is anyone else... did we already have this chat?

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I saw that later Angela. image  Freemers I was a little longer as I had a quick chat with the Chester marathon people but not far behind! The music always gets me going too. I had to run through Monument and Euston to get my train back, then the woman next to me startedcoughing so I upped and changed seats she gave me a filthy look when she got off image

• Options

I am 10386 not coming down until Saturday sadly as too much on but didnt have any problems last year collecting then.  Not long now image

• Options
    21829 I'm off to the expo Friday too Angela... Will be on the afternoon tho as the train doesn't get me into London till about 1.30pm I think. Got full on maranoia going on now? Please tell me this isn't just me?!?!?

Freemers: in and out in 5 mins!!! I'm seriously impressed... If I get in and out in 5 hours without a phone call from my bank it'll be a miracle!!!
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    27542 - got my number at the expo earlier today. Was there when it opened as went after school drop off. Got a selfie with Paula who was opening it!! She was very relaxed and very thin. Seem to have come home with lots of beetroot juice and beetroot shots. Apparently Denise Lewis is going to do an interview with Paula at the halfway point and she'll have to run along with her!

P&D still seem to have a lot of runs this week - 4 in total, covering 22 miles before Sunday. May cut it back I think. Who runs the day before?
  • Options

Hans C has come up with an excellent idea. Who needs Choose Life or Frankie Says t-shirts. We just need ones which say "Dont be Shit!!' image

Chicksta Have a blast, hope you have a great time. 

I went to the Expo earlier and did it in a few hours. I am like BRB!! I needed to check my bank balance before going in. Freemers how did you do it so quick???

42262 for me!!!

Slowkoala I had never run the day before mara before but i did enjoy my 2.5 miles plus 2 strides. I did 3 runs in the final 5 days totalling 9.5 miles. 

I love Paula. image

• Options

My numbers 4636

Angela, Im going along on Friday. Not too sure what time I will get there, going to catch the train after dropping the kids off at school. So imagine I will be there mid-day ish.

I will probably have a good mooch round, as not been to the expo since '98, when I last ran London. 

And yes you probably hadn't even started secondary school way back then!!!

• Options

I started secondary school In 1997 I'll have you know!! I'm driving up there for about midday and hoping to meet some other people at various times- pm me and we'll arrange something image

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

My trick with the expo was - luckily the booth for my number was front and centre as you go in with no queue. Then I'd worked out in advance where the lucozade stand was for the pace bands so went straight there - just stopped for a minute to write a message on the #boostlondon wall on the way in. Then head round the edge, not looking at any of the tempting merchandise, out through the exhibition bit for the goody bag and that's it image. To be honest I would spend longer but had to get there and back in my lunch break.

I ran 4 miles Tuesday, doing 5 today with a couple at MP and 4 tomorrow. May do a couple first thing Saturday but not critical.
  • Options

Good luck to all you VLM'ers! I've noted down all your numbers and I'll be following you and sending positive vibes.image

I'll be watching on the iplayer as we're off to Austria on Saturday morning for a flying visit and back on Sunday afternoon.

Cheers for the encouragement Hans, I know. It's a journey, I'll get there...eventually!

• Options

I need to read up on the literature today, is the expo at the excel? Not even sure where that is? Lol

Last time I went I think it was at Earl's Court?  ;)

Angela - Might meet up tomorrow then, if I bloody find itimage

• Options

I'm 52666

Heading to the expo sat morning...with all my payday pennies!!

I've added you all to my app - now I know all of your real names! The forum comes to life!

• Options

ExCel is on DLR line - Custom House station... Just follow the people giddy with excitement about their upcoming marathon!

• Options

Off to the Expo this morning. Only 3 more sleeps.  Exciting!

Green start no. 27771

• Options

Cheers Angela, probably easier if I drove directly up the A2 but think my wife needs the car on Friday. So will get the train to Charing Cross. What's the nearest underground to ExCel?

• Options
    Morning all.

I can't believe I missed la Paula yesterday, I always go first thing on Day 1, but somehow conspired to require 5 trains to get there tather than the usual 2, and even passed near my house at around 45 minutes in!

I'm 54733. Can't see Puffsta's anywhere??

Then the queue for my range of numbers was huge including a set of screaming kids who were being fed Haribo in family sized bags.

Had a quick dart around, failed to find either of 2 friends who were in there at the time, including Supergirl Jo with whom I may run on the day and try to get her a PB - young and fast like Sub 4 Amy, but PB is currently 4:22.

Nearly bought some bargain Zipvit rockets, but they only took cash, so escaped with not a sample, not a gadget, nor even the usual outfit.

Reader I am cheered to learn that the maranoia is not solely my affliction, this week has been mental, from both ankles going to knee flaring up acutely, foot not wanting to take any weight, countless brushes with nutters on the tube daring to sniff or trip and hurtle.,

I was freaking out at a nice low hum of confusion and professional incapacity until I woke up this morning with sore throat, headache, coughing up gunk and feeling exhausted and awful.

SO I started a homeopathic bombard, and prepared a blast full of raw garlic, ginger, lemons for after my planned 30 minute jog....

Haven't had any of that yet as was on lates and just had breakfast, but hey ho I think I feel a bit better! Now throwing sage and echinacea into the equation to appease the gods further.

It can't be nothing though right?!

Yes, I would do a 20 minute easy shakeout on Saturday with a couple of strides. Never used to do anything until Sam got hold of me.
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Sean - Charing Cross Northern Line (south) to Waterloo, change to Jubillee and go (east) to Canning Town, then change onto DLR to Custom House for Excel.

• Options
    Yes Saen - Canning Town on Jubilee is the nearest tube. I know that. Now.
  • Options

I'll be driving Sean, and since parking is so expensive I plan to stay there a lot of the day! image 

• Options
    Freemers - ooh that's sounds like a lot of changes.

My train will also stop at Waterloo as well as Charing Cross, so will be easier to get off there. Is the Excell walkable from Canning Town Tube?