Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I get piriformis syndrome when the guy at the next desk at work starts talking to me...

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Well raced Fairy, Mr P (what happened to Puffsta?) and Hans image

Norwich parkrun on Saturday - first one since Christmas and I soon remembered why I don't do more of them - they really hurt!  But got a PB by 20 seconds - 20:36....slow by the standards of the speedsters on here but I'm happy with it.  Norwich is getting too crowded though - almost 450 runners and the paths aren't very wide so it was a real scrum at the start and I spent the first lap (of 3) just trying to get into a rhythm with my pace and not trip up or barge too many people.  I think if I'm going to do more of them I'll find a quieter one.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Great to see the thread spring back into life image

I'm missing Mr. P's hilarious jokes image

Great running Freemers, Fairy, Mr. P and nice tri-ing, Hans image

5 more weeks till my half marathon. I'm seriously lacking speed image but weekly mileage is coming back nicely and my LSR pace is now where it used to be image

• Options

Slow koala..... are  you still in this  thread? We desperately need a good female endurance runner to join our team endure 24 @ reading on weekend of 13/14 June. If you, or any other strong runner on this thread are interested, can you contact me on 07985450740. We have a team of 4 women, need a fifth as one just dropped out due to injury. 5 mile trail loop, we will probably all run it 6 times during the 24 hours. Aiming for about 7 min miles, maybe a tad slower through the night. Free entry plus we have free kit from mizuno........ Will be a blast, we are hoping to get a top spot. image)) oh and have just been reminded, you would need to be happy being g photographed for feature in a new running mag.

• Options

Freemers Good park run. I've done a couple there recently got to the front to avoid the scrum. Doing the Wroxham 5km series came up just short 19.01 in the first. Will have to kick for home a bit earlier in a couple of weeks time. Might do the Diss 10km.

Have you done the Ipswich half,might give it a go this year before the Norwich half. Put my name in the hat for London next year if not another crack at Bungay. Having not run a flatish long race Bungay did'nt seem that hard.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Hi Martin - never done the Ipswich half, it always clashes with holidays or other things. I think the same is true this year.  I've heard it is pretty undulating and harder than the Norwich half.  Shame about that 1 second at Wroxham - hope you get under next time!

So after the scrum of the Norwich parkrun I tried a different one last Saturday - Fritton Lake, which is out towards Great Yarmouth.  Really nice one, much smaller with between 70 and 80 runners typically.  And a great course, although slower than Norwich.  Mainly grass and woodland tracks, some gravel path and pretty much no tarmac to be seen.  Twists and turns and a few ups and downs, but really good fun.  I was actually surprised with my time of 21.25, as I felt really comfortable and thought it would be slower. I don't think it'll ever be a PB course but definitely preferable to Norwich for me.  And I was 1st lady which will never happen in Norwich image

My only problem was as I was walking to my car afterwards my right calf cramped badly as if it was pulled - it was OK for Sunday's long run but has been troubling me since so I am taking a wek or so off running and cutting back on the speedwork for a bit.

I have entered the Diss 10k, but it's only a couple of weeks away so will see how my calf is doing before I make a decision.  Martin - it's definitely one for a good time, pretty much dead flat.

• Options

Martin, I've done Ipswich half before.... On a nasty hangover!! image

I blogged about it here... its not flat... http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/ipswich-half-marathon.html

I was carrying a bit more 'insulation' back thenimage 

• Options

Evening all. Apologies for lacking in posting. Sadly I suffered a quad bike accident a month ago. I stupidly drove the quad bike into a tree. At speed. Luckily initial diagnosis of fractured pelvis proved to be incorrect and I have got away with torn muscles, tendon damage and a bruised bone. I have spent the month struggling with the pain and also deal with mentally not being able to train. Having done so well during the asics journey to not being able to do anything was frustrating and hard.  

Other demons came back to haunt such as some comfort eating and feeling the weight start to nudge back on was gutting. Self pity lasted until last week when I re read a lot of my asics notes. I was able to get back on the exercise bike for a while and started the rehab. The left leg has suffered from muscle memory loss. Not sure how long this will take to get back. The hamstring is very tight and the tendon still painful. But I was able to jog round parkrun in 30 mins which I was so pleased with. It hurt as physio warned it might, apparently it is the muscles coming back to life and there is still healing to be done. 

But the journey to sub 3.15 is back on. Although it might not be as quick as I want. We will see how the recovery goes over the coming weeks. So it might take a while to feel you cannot achieve something and I am quite disappointed that for a few weeks I let go some of the changes I had made. But in the end mental desire and chatting to the positive people around me, led back to this post. Same goal, but maybe different training to get there. Baby steps for now and see how it goes. And fingers crossed a step by step improvement in the right direction. 

Lovely to read some of the times and races here. 

Freemers Well done on the parkrun PB Brilliant achievement.! 

Martin Great time in the Wroxham 5k, speedy speedy speedy. 

Angela I do love your blogs, cannot wait for the big one....THE BOSTON ONE.....I was looking through my blog from it last week, brilliant memories. 

So my trainers and kit are ready. Tomorrow morning I am walking a minute running two minutes for 30 minutes. 

Good to be back. image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I saw that on Twitter Tim, not pretty image  Good to see you back in the saddle.

We are filling out a year planner for Chester marathon,Mrs p is doing the Metric marathon on the same day, 26.2 km, so we can train together.

I did parkrun on Saturday and 10 steady miles yesterday, next race is Penny Lane 10k at the end of June.

Time for another list?

• Options

I think it is time for another list Mr P  When is Chester? And Penny Lane 10k?

13th Sept  Bacchus Marathon

11th Oct  NYC Marathon

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Superman - nightmare! Gently does it with the comeback - it'll take patience but worth being ultra sensible right now. Bigger picture and all that.

I've tried another new parkrun on Saturday and bagged my second victory - this one was Thetford and definitely my favourite so far. Great course - mix of grass, a little tarmac and tracks, three loops of varying terrain each done twice so lots of variety and great fun lapping people (and getting lapped by the leading man!).  I wasn't intending to race it but you know how it is - I was feeling very comfortable at about 7.05-7.10 pace but saw a couple of other ladies ahead and just had to take them down in the last mile (6.51) image.  Really friendly group of runners - what with that one and Fritton lake I don't know why I stuck with Norwich for so long.  Not as quick (21.31) but a good tempo session which is really what it's about.

17.5 miles LSR on Sunday - that felt hard at the end.

Diss 10k coming up on Sunday - surely I can beat my PB (43.30) which is about 7 or 8 years old, possibly even longer - it's not even on Po10 it's that old.  Flat, fast course, the only trouble could be the wind as it is exposed. 

13th Sept  Bacchus Marathon

11th Oct  NYC Marathon

18th Oct Abingdon Marathon

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Where does all the time go? image

Tim, what a nightmare! Sorry to hear about your accident but extremely glad that you were not as badly injured as you first thought.

You've got every reason to be confident about the quest for 3:15. Clearly this sets you back a bit but you'll be surprised how quickly fitness will return once you're all healed up. The important thing is that you now have the belief that you can do it and that is 90% of the battle!

Freemers - Well done on your park run conquests  and wow 17 miles sounds like such a long way right now! Inspiring to see you doing that kind of distance. Very best of luck for Sunday!

I decided to take a break from training 3 weeks after my spring mara, only did park runs and at a fairly leisurely pace. Unfortunately this turned into nearly 6 weeks! We've been having an extension and that plus work have meant I've had zero time for anything else.

Thankfully that's finished now. I did a bit of running the last week in May then an almost full week of training last week so the legs are starting to function now. 

Liking the talk of autumn marathons! My plan is to focus on 10K speed up until Thunder Run in July then push on with marathon training from there (same as last year). Quite excited about it now!

13th Sept Bacchus Marathon - Supermanruns

4th Oct Chester Marathon - Mr P

11th Oct NYC Marathon - Supermanruns

11th Oct  York Marathon - Hans C, Malcs

18th Oct Abingdon Marathon - Freemers

• Options

Wondering if I should add my races or stay quietimage 

did stour valley marathon on Sunday- a 27 mile trail race, in about 4:48, which is 17 minutes quicker than I managed last year.  Really is a toughie.

superman, so sorry about your accident- as I said on FB, you will come back stronger and as Malcs says, belief is a big part of the equation!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

28 june is Penny Lane , cant do list on here!

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Lovely to see this thread come alive again! I saw you'd had an accident in Twitter, Superman, glad you are OK. Baby steps sounds like a good plan.

Freemers - I agree with Malcs, 17 miles sounds a very long way! I think 13 is the most I've done since VLM. Nice parkrunning.

Angela - that's a great improvement versus last year. Must be a big confidence booster for you.

I've had 3 races over the past 3 w/ends - Bupa 10k (40:34) a 5 mile summer league race (I was 1st lady as I think the rain put off the speedy ladies!) and another 5 mile race last weekend. I'm really enjoying focusing on the shorter stuff and have some more 10k races over the next few weeks. I have no plans to do another marathon before next year. I want to try and get my parkrun PB down but am finding it hard to get any 5k speed back.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

WAs that London SK?  totally in agreemant with everyone about shorter stuff, I dod Chester half in May but no longer than ten miles apart from that. looking forward to a tempo run of sorts tomorrow prior to a quick trip to Germany on Thursday/Friday, hope to get a run in near Frankfurt for a novelty

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Yep, the London one. A bit crowded but I actually find it easier to keep up a pace in busier races.

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Yep, the London one. A bit crowded but I actually find it easier to keep up a pace in busier races. Enjoy Germany.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I entered mrs p for Christmas we had a great weekend, superb course and great to be able to watch without the marathon crowds. 

Looking forward to bumping into Chicksta in Germany, its not a very big place is it?

• Options

Thanks everyone, I feel so better this week despite only being able to go for a couple of jogs. I am going out on the bike tomorrow for an hour, that'll stretch them.

When is Thunder Run in July Malcs?

Freemers Good luck with Diss and well done on your impressive parkrun tourism. I hope you get your PB and the wind stays away.

Well done SK nice running there. I cannot wait to get back and do the shorter stuff. Put your 10k races down on the list.

Angela It must be such a great confidence booster for you to be that  much quicker, and testimony to that hard work you have put in.

Updated list and yes Angela pls add your races (numerous no doubt image)

28th June Penny Lany 10K

3rd August Ride 100 SupermanRuns

13th Sept Bacchus Marathon - Supermanruns

4th Oct Chester Marathon - Mr P

11th Oct Kingston Marathon- Supermanruns

11th Oct  York Marathon - Hans C, Malcs

18th Oct Abingdon Marathon - Freemers

1st Nov NYC Marathon SupermanRuns

• Options

Mr P I understand Germany isn't that big. It is bigger than Sussex but not that big.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - have a great trip. If the Chicksta knows that a fellow/former gangsta is entering the country I'm sure she'll make sure she runs into youimage

Tim - TR24 is the last weekend in July. Right now it would kill me. 9 miles today and I felt totally rubbish.

Great to hear you're feeling better. Keep the positivity and belief up and you'll be right as rain in no time. I met someone once who believed they could get a Boston qualifier. Most people at the time would have said she was up against it. I don't need to tell you what happenedimage

Enjoy the bike tomorrow!

SK - very well done on your 1st place, that's awesome! Cut out the modesty though, take the damn win, you earned it!

Aunty Angela - 27 miles! OMG, you really are nuts! What's your marathon count up to now? Did you do that with RRR by any chance?

• Options

Did the first mile with RRR but as usual she vanished into the distance after that!! If you count the 2 days of sm75 I'm upto 12 image another one with RRR on 27th this month- Giants head... Ps I'm being upgraded from Aunty to aunty and godmother in a few months!! 

Brb on laptop to add races

• Options

Hmmmm, there aren't that many!!! image

20th June Great East Swim (1 mile) - Angela I

21st June Mersea Round the Island Half (a maybe) - Angela I 

27th June Giants Head Marathon - Angela I

28th June Penny Lany 10K

12th July - Ekiden Relay - Angela I

25th/26th July - Thunder run - Angela I

3rd August Ride 100 SupermanRuns

29th August Vitruvian Triathlon - Angela I

13th Sept Bacchus Marathon - Supermanruns, Angela I

27th Sept Maldon Half Marathon - Angela I

4th Oct Chester Marathon - Mr P

11th Oct Kingston Marathon- Supermanruns

11th Oct  York Marathon - Hans C, Malcs

18th Oct Abingdon Marathon - Freemers

24th Oct Beachy Head Marathon - Angela I

1st Nov NYC Marathon SupermanRuns

26-29 Nov Cyprus International 4 day challenge - Angela I

• Options

Soups - glad to hear you're on the mend and that the positivity is coming back with it.  Focus on the long game and that mara PB will be yours.

I have been bimbling along post Spring mara.  Got a 10k PB at the Bristol 10k and have been improving my 5k times at parkrun but am enjoying a lot more cycling and swimming without any real structure.

My only event is the Ride100 but am ready to start thinking about an end of season triathlon and then a go at an Autumn half PB.

Happy running everyone!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Mr P: Germany?? When? Where? Details???

(((Soups))) that's awful. I'm glad you're on the mend now but what a nightmare image I used to think that quad bikes are the most useless form of transport available to mankind and your accident kind of proved my pointimage

But of a rubbish time here. I caught a virus which completely wiped me (and the whole family actually -mom, dad, hubby all had it) for two weeks. Combined with a bad allergic reaction to the meds I was prescribed (cue hospital and cortisone drips) I only got back to work last Thursday. I can manage short walks now.but peak flow still rubbish so it'll be a while until normal mileage is resumed.

Still, no time like the present, so please put me on the list

October 4: Bremen marathon

I have about 6 weeks to rebuild before embarking on my training plan. Quietly confident it'll all fall into place image
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Chicksta it was a flying visit to Fernwald to look at some machinery our firm is buying. I do like Germany, i've only ever been for work, I would love to go for a leisure break. 

Sounds like a Nasty illness, but good you are over it.  

"Fastest" parkrun this year today but my speedy mate has just turned 50 so my hopes of winning the age category must be postponed for a bit. Ten with mrs p tomorrow

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Godmother Angela - oooh, congrats on the Godmothership! Is that Fairy or just Standard? (not sure of your wand wielding abilityimage )

I see you're taking it easy as usual with a fairly light racing programme over the next 6 months. What is the 4 day challenge? (too lazy to Google)

So that'll be 13 maras soon then - impressive stuff! Do you aspire to becoming a 100 club member?

Ruffles - massive congrats on the PB! Is that a full olympic tri you're targeting? I can't remember if you've done one before or not?

chicksta - oh no! I tell you, you certainly have your ups and downs. Nobody can acuse you of having a boring life! Glad to hear that you are recovering. Hope you are back to your normal mileage soon. Great to hear that you have an Autumn marathon planned. Will be great to train in company!

Mr P - well done on the season's best Parkrun! Great to be hitting good pace at this early stage in the summer. Nice one!

Tim - how was last week? Healing update?

I thought last week would be my first full week of training but after a complete midweek (including some killer mile reps) the weekend ended up running free - just too much extension finishing off to do plus I had the second day of a rugby refs course to attend. This week will be the week, I'm determined to make it so!

Updated the race list. Forgot to put TR24 on there. 

20th June Great East Swim (1 mile) - Angela I

21st June Mersea Round the Island Half (a maybe) - Angela I 

27th June Giants Head Marathon - Angela I

28th June Penny Lany 10K

12th July - Ekiden Relay - Angela I

25th/26th July - Thunder run - Angela I, Malcs

3rd August Ride 100 SupermanRuns

29th August Vitruvian Triathlon - Angela I

13th Sept Bacchus Marathon - Supermanruns, Angela I

27th Sept Maldon Half Marathon - Angela I

4th Oct Chester Marathon - Mr P

4th Oct Bremen Marathon - Chicksta

11th Oct Kingston Marathon- Supermanruns

11th Oct  York Marathon - Hans C, Malcs

18th Oct Abingdon Marathon - Freemers

24th Oct Beachy Head Marathon - Angela I

1st Nov NYC Marathon SupermanRuns

26-29 Nov Cyprus International 4 day challenge - Angela I

• Options

It's great to hear how everyone else is getting on. So sorry Soups and Chicksta have suffered some hard times but glad both are now on the mend.

I had a fabulous weekend with my club team mates at Endure 24. Camping and running 5 mile relay laps through the woods for 24 hours. Loved the night laps with the head torch, a whole new experience for me. I ran 6 laps and we finished 19th out of 159 teams in the 6-8 mixed category. Really chuffed.

My list of marathons is fairly extensive so will only add the first few to the list for now.

20th June  South Downs

21st June  Enigma Superhero

27th June  Bewl Water

18th July   Dorset Invader

19th July   North Downs Way

Just have to hope my poor old piriformis doesn't cause too much distress.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well done on Endure 24 Fairyclogs! 6 laps is brilliant and at 19th position you must have been flying too!

Blimey you're giving Angela a run for her money with your race schedule! Only the first few and all marathons - are you going for the 100? How many are you on now?

I'm still desperate to make this the first full week of training of my 10K campaign. Nearly screwed it up yesterday as I couldn't get out at my usual time but ended up getting the miles in later in the day. So damn hot at that time!

How is everyone else doing? Tim, what's the latest on the recovery?