Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Haha thanks Eggy. I wouldn't class it as 'good', but it is the best that I could hope for at this point so I'm chalking it up as a win, it's the little things in life eh! image

• Options

Oh and I have used my Nathan hydration belt twice now, it has 4 bottles on it and I look like a right dick when I'm running, I bet everyone thinks I'm completely over-reacting and only going out for a 4 mile run! image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

HIAHS - I've got the two bottle Nathan belt does this mean I'm half cocked?

I'm quite a thirsty runner though so I wouldn't really care. Dont forget, you don't need to carry all of the bottles image

• Options

Haha I'm half-cocked most of the time as well then Orbutt, I normally do my long runs with my 2-er, but I've got this 4-er for my race this weekend and thought I really should try it out before race-day. It's actually quite handy in this heat, I did just over 20 miles this w/end and drank 3 out of the 4 bottles, and squirted the last one on my hands to cool down nearer the end. I'm surprised at how comfortable it is, I was expecting it to be a bust but it's actually a very good bit of kit. Except for the bit where no one in their right mind should be running a distance that requires 4 bottles of water!! image

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Hello all, just a quickie I'm afraid, or maybe that's a good thing image

Deputy list fairy, would you put me down for The Midnight Sun Marathon, 18/6/16 please ?

Thank you, hope everyone is well.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Woohoo Nodster!! image Sounds like a great race! It's on my bucket list image

• Options

Deputy list fairy Please would you put me down for the Bingo Race 10/10/15. (6.6 - 66 miles running as a pair so will be sharing the load).

Someone many pages ago mentioned the piece of string race which I googled which then led to the Bingo race which has obsessed me ever since. I signed up to run Paris because my sister really wanted to do it, so now it's payback time and she's signed up to run the Bingo race with me. Yay,I actually get giddy thinking about it, I may have a problem!!!

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Come along Emmy, it'd be great to have you on board image

Good to see Karen, keep on signing upimage
  • Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Deputy List Fairy, would you also put me down for The Marathon Day Marathon, 26/2/16 please ?

Thank you

• Options

Nodster's caught the marathon bug!! image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I went to the doctors today and, whilst I was there asked him if he'd sign my medical certificate. 

I'd not seen this chap before but I explained that the French insist on a doctors signature. No problem, he signed and stamped the form and then told me how he'd run London, Berlin, New York & Barcelona. 

We had a little chat about running and I left. No charge image

I'm a happy Orbutt. 

• Options
    LoubellaLoubella ✭✭✭

Hi all, will also be running the Paris marathon next year & am keen to get as many tips as possible image

Bib no 67176 - pink pen

This will be my second marathon as ran the London in 2012

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Watch this space HIAHS, big plan for next year, hopefully the bug will hang around and stay fit !

Nice one ORBUTT, always nice to find a Doc like that, fortunately mine's the same. Hope you're well.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hello Loubella

welcome to the thread. 

Loads of tips to be had here. Have a look at the very first post on the thread - lots of info there about the race etc put together by previous runners.

Its a bit quiet at the moment but things will pick up once the London Ballot results come out and we get into full training mode. 

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Welcome LOUBELLA, you have arrived in the right place !

There is a wealth of Paris experience on here and a wonderful group of people. You will find tips a plenty.

Be warned though, if you hang around too long you will be running multiple Marathons ! Best of luck with your preparation image
  • Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Crikey Nodster, that's another one!  Love the idea of Marathon Day.

Deputy List Fairy - please also pop me down for the Midnight Sun Marathon, thanks.  Emmy, you should definitely get yourself aboard for this one!

Training's been going pretty well recently.  The club track sessions have been brutal but great, and tonight's 8-miler was spiced up with lots of short fast bursts; running in a group has introduced that little competitive edge into my training that will hopefully see a decent pay-off in Berlin.  In the meantime, it's the DRAM on Sunday.  Plan's steady and slowish, and to treat it as the first serious LSR for September.

Happy days with the medical certificate, Orbutt!  I'd a doctor at my practice who was also a runner; it's incredibly handy.

• Options
    Hi Loubella. You've picked a good one, you'll have a blast.

So, I've got a new watch, a plan and a set of scientifically determined heart rate training zones. Deputy List Fairy - can you put me down for the Valencia marathon on 15th November image .
  • Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Le sigh. On two occasions this week I have set my alarm for a run, and on two occasions I have reset my alarm to get up for work instead. 

My right glute issues seem to have deteriorated into shoulder to heel pain - I feel all tense and twisted, and my lower back's sore. I am going to the physio tonight so hopefully he'll sort me out. 

I think it's a drastic case of the CBAs. What do you all do when that happens? Not a great time as it's week 2 of the Amsterdam training plan, so any advice welcomed!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

LouBella - Welcome to the thread.

KS - I'd wait and see what the physio says. The main thing is to be injury free. If it causes you to limit your training then just revise your goal for Amsterdam.

If it is just the CBA's then just imagine us shouting abuse at you until you get out there. When I get the CBA's it tends to be because my head isn't in the right place, such as training for Loch Ness last year. Life issues messing with my head cause me to lose focus or motivation for training. Other than that my fear of failure tends to mean my brain over-rides any CBA-ness.

• Options

Loubella - welcome. Well done on finding us, were really useful on all things Paris and some other stuff.

KeyserSuze - if all is OK for running after the physio, you've just got to get your arse back out there. Longer you leave it, the bigger deal it becomes. But you've got loads of residual fitness from Stockholm, plus all that cycling you're doing. You know you'll feel better once you've done it. Sticking my neck out and saying Amsterdam will be my best run ever has put the fear of humiliation into me - that's my motivation.

• Options
    KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Thanks Eggy and BM.  I do have a 13mile booked tomorrow and then the London 10k on Sunday, so I will get back out there!

I am enjoying the cycling but I did have a close encounter with a car on Wednesday image  I went round a bend of a v quiet road and turned right, across the bend, just as a car came from the other direction. Bad Suze.  Managed to brake in the wet and skidded sideways, bouncing off the car tyre and breaking my front reflector. Poor driver, he got out and was initially a bit angry until he realised that I was apologising and his car was okay. I'd be angry too, if some cyclist had just cycled in front of the car. Think all okay, perhaps a slight buckle to my front wheel and my back's been extra sore since, might have wrenched it a bit trying not to get smooshed. 

Thank you for the encouragement, it is appreciated. Feel free to shout at me tomorrow when I should have done 10 miles + parkrun!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Ouch, glad your incident wasn't any worse. Reflectors can be replaced.

• Options

PARIS 2016 list

Preferential pen (speed of light):
    510 – The Jimbob

Red pen (3hr):
    3575 – Sunnysider Phil
    4465 – Heroine in a Half Shell
    4513 – Mr HIAHS

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9290 – Andy-W
    9090 – Steve Duffy 2

Blue Pen (3:30):
    16621 – Nodster
    18256 – LloydR
    ??????? - Kenno

Purple pen (3:45):
    29410 – Orbutt
    29546 – ThisIsNatty
    29611 – E mmy
    29639 – PC
    29707 – Onetit
    30515 – Mattleydon
    30667 – Pistol101
    30776 - Whiskybob
    31858 – KeyserSuze
    43575 – NGUG

Green pen (4hr):
    44484 - AspirantRunner
    45575 – Magna Carter

Grey pen (4:15):
    57428 – Nells
    57140 - HeatherS
    58736 – Mr KeyserSuze
    65540 – Betzza
    66499 – Loulou

Pink pen (4:30+):
    65227 – Penny71
    67176 - Loubella
    67288 – Karen Bowman 2
    ????? – RunClaire
    ????? -  Wendy Dibble

Unknown pen/number:

LeggyMountbatten
    Lisa123
    Orapidrun (hurry up and enter!!)
    Pottermoss
    Stuchbury
    Penny71
    Douglas

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/, there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• Options

Hi Loubella, stick around, occasionally we do actually talk about running! image

I saw that there was a top 100 marathons feature in the recent RW, (or at least my husband opened it and saw it, and I've not seen the magazine since!), I was interested to note that Paris was on the list but London wasn't - all the other majors were though. London was utterly mental this year, but I wouldn't class the route as one that I'm particularly interested in doing again, except for Tower Bridge, that was awesome! I didn't even notice Big Ben towards the end, too knackered!!

• Options

KS - glad that you didn't get wiped out, close call!

I too have had serious CBAs recently, I think it's the weather. I've been eating absolutely everything in sight but I can't remember the last time I ate some fruit. image

• Options
    Hey RR good choice to do Valencia? Have you done it before? I did it last year and it is a great race that takes in the Mediterranean, the city and the spectacular city of arts and science which is a kind of architectural futuristic fantasy. Shamazing. It's also flat and not too hot that time of year.

I have a question about the great north run. I am doing it for first time this year and wondered if it is a PB race or is it too hilly or crowded? My PB at the moment is 1:38 so there will be lots of people in front of me. Grateful for tips
  • Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Meadower - I'm not sure I'll really understand what I'm letting myself in for until next year, but what the hell, if I can't run I'll walk with a bottle of wine for fuel !

RR - I've never gone for the heart rate training thing, just run by feel. I do use the HR strap with my Garmin but usually just to check my resting Pre-run. Am I missing a trick ?

KS - Glad you didn't do too much damage to yourself. Take care out there. Advice/encouragement ? How about the BCRC don't be shit ! I still try and use it on crappy days image

HIAHS - that Paris list, can't wait ...... but surely that can't be right ..... RALF ENTER !!!
  • Options

I'm sure that Orapidrun will pull his finger out and enter, we've still got ages to work on him!

• Options

Nodster - this is an experiment, I've never tried HR training myself either. But my training for the last two years has been more focused on distance than speed, and I'd like to get a bit quicker again, so I wanted some help with training. I did a fitness test at Brunel University, and they've given me advice about what paces to train at. The general view seems to be that I need to do more fast stuff, tempo runs and interval training. Which is no great surprise. I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. 

WRFF - no, I've not done Valencia before, that's why I chose it. I've heard nothing but good things about it. My experience of the GNR was that it's much too crowded for a PB - I virtually didn't run at all in the first mile. But I was much further back, in the 2 hour pack. It may be easier further forward (also, that was a while ago, they may have improved the start processes since then).