Options

Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Sarah-got mine sent in the post a week or 2 ago.

Sean-just checked and at the moment it suggests sunshine and showers with wind speed 13mph!

• Options

Weather forecasts change daily, I won't be looking until Friday 8th at the earliest.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I felt very tired, sluggish and unmotivated at the weekend (I'm told this is taper madness, though my female biology was also being rather unkind this time around) so I didn't run at all on Sunday. I actually didn't leave my flat for two days and though I thought I might run on Monday instead, the storm dissauded me.

I managed a sluggish 4 miler on Monday and a yoga class yesterday and, thanks to the rest and some sunshine today, I felt a lot more myself. I ended up running 9.3 miles (15K) and made a point of increasing my pace as I went on. Splits were 10:35, 10:48, 10:11, 10:37, 10:08, 10:34, 9:35, 9:35, 9:22 (and 9:59 for the last .3 but I was slowing down). The faster early miles had more downhill, hence the variation in times there.

Time was 1:34.46 with an average pace of 10:09, so quite happy with that (my 15K PB is 1:29 dead, for what it's worth).

As far as goal times go (given it's my first marathon) initially I thought 4:30 would be a good goal to aim for but with the month out due to injury, I'm realistically looking at sub-5 now. The 20 miler I did was so painful towards the end I'll just be happy to finish.

That's hilarious about the soap in the goody bag!

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

No car park pass for me yet - I'm parking at the Emirates OT. Did get an eamil a few weeks ago saying passes were being sent out shortly so maybe it will arrive this week.

8 miles for me last night with 3x1mi intervals at 5km pace. Went pretty well without taking too much out of me: 6:13/6:15/6:15 splits on the mile repeats and feeling pretty good today. That was my last hard session.

Tonight is just a recovery run so 4, 5 or 6 miles depending on what time I get in from work.

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

So true to form (and apologies again for sounding like the forum hypochondriac!) I have a rotten chesty cough and feel like sh1t! I'm not even doing a traditional taper as such so cant even blame that - going to blame the kids instead for coughing all over me and generally just being near me!

So no runs for me the last couple of days, rest is key if feeling ill at this stage with no fitness to be gained so hopefully a wee easy run in the morning can be managed - if I'm feeling better I'll throw in some strides at the end before LSR on Saturday - fingers crossed. Of all the Marathons I've trained for, this is the first one where I have been really susceptible to colds/infections etc so no idea where I have went wrong this time so a bit of research required!

Anyway, keep positive! image

Hope everyone else is enjoying the tapering. I would still like to see other's comments re carb loading and how they do it? There are so many differing opinions out there and although I can get the correct amount of carbs that I need worked out, its more the kind of carb foods I should be eating? Ie. High Carbs with low fat or high fat? Are Haribo ok or are too much detrimental etc? If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated as I happily admit I don't think I've got this part of the training correct yet!

PS - Cal, I would throw all time worries out the window as it's your first Marathon, most important thing is to enjoy it. My first one, I went off like a lunatic and was walking/crawling from mile 13 onwards - horrible experience! You've doing some great training over the months so sub 5 a great achievement for your first and regardless of what time, the experience gained to take onto the next one is invaluable!

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Sesamoid: sorry to hear about the cold. Hopefully it clears up well by race day. In terms of carb loading I will do a carb depletion from about Saturday to Wednesday i.e. eat just meat, eggs, fish so no bread/rice/cakes etc and then from Wednesday evening I'll mainly eat rice/pasta/potatoes/fruit and try and stay away from high fat and high sugar carbs. Carb depleting is supposed to scare your body that it isn't getting anymore carbs and then when it gets them on Thur-Sat it overcompensates by storing extra amounts. That's the theory and it seemed to work well last October for me.

• Options

Cal - I agree with Sesamoid's comments enjoy your first marathon. I did my first marathon in Paris last year and in retrospect I heaped way too much pressure on myself by constantly having a goal time. I didn't come near it, and at the immediate aftermath felt like a failure, before many pointed out that I was now a marathon finisher (something that cannot be taken away from you). Now nobody asks what my finish time was and instead give you an appreciative nod for running a marathon in the first place. So enjoy your first marathon and be extremely proud of whatever finish time you eventually achieve.

Sesamoid in terms of diet and fuelling. I am a Type I diabetic so running a marathon has many complications for me. I eat a normal diet and don't carb load as it makes me feel bloated and sluggish. I probably consume about 60% of my diet from carbs anyway.

Fuelling is a real story for me. I need to consume 60g of carbs an hour. Here's how I achieve this on a long run. I'm aiming to run Manchester in 3:30. So 10 mins before the start will eat 4 cubes of raw jelly, and then eat 4 cubes of raw jelly every 20 mins for the duration of the run. I carry spare if I need to double up because of dropping blood sugars. (Gels are expensive, but I do carry some and have one an hour instead of the jelly, to reduce any pangs for vomiting). There are 6g of carbs in 1 cube of jelly so consuming 12 an hour gives me 72g covering eventualities.

It has served me well on my long training runs and I'm very well practised at eating on the run, I cut the jelly into straight strips of 4 cubes and eat one at a time at the 20min schedules. I run with a fuel belt and all of the required fuel fits in.

As gels are often £1 for one, I would spend a lot of money on these over the course of marathon training. A pack of jelly contains 12 cubes (fuels me for an hour) at a modest cost of 60p per pack, it's a no-brainer for me.

None of you are likely to need this much fuel but at least it gives you some idea of the trials and tribulations I face on all long runs.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Well done Cal Jones on your run there, sub5 will be a good target and a sensible one to go for. If it's your first marathon, enjoy it.

Carboloading - the big one - I've tried lots of different strategies but this is what works for me. Bear in mind, I'm 6ft5 and 89kgs. Pasta, pasta, pasta 2 days out. The day before have a hearty breakfast, whatever you want. Lunch - Fish and Chips (medium sized). Light pasta supper. Morning of race - bagels with strawberry jam, ribena, coffee. In flight entertainment (in the race); Zipvit gel @ 5,9,14,18. Caffeine gel @ 21/22. Hang on in there...

Did a fairly well paced club run tonight with a few miles sub MP - tendon felt a bit nippy but I reckon all systems are in check. Ice the little bleeder tonight and put it back in its box. Be good to get out there and do a final easy 12m as per the plan on Sunday. Last beers on Sunday too - body becomes temple - early nights - there's a marathon to run and a pb on the cards!!!

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Orapidrun: gel wise I'm similar - I did 5/10/14/18/20/22 last marathon. Wasn't planning on the one at 20 miles but I hit a mega hill at that point and cramp set in so the gel seemed to do the trick at holding the cramp at bay a bit longer. The key with gels if you use them is to start taking them early and reglarly - People make the mistake of waiting to take the first one when they feel they need it at which point you are already glycogen depleted and you can never catch it up. Taking that many gels is sickly but I'm willing to endure it for a decent finish!
  • Options
    Ooh it's all good reading. Hi Iain! Saddo that I am, I recognise your name from the defunct sub 4 thread! I'm carrying gels, probably wont take enough, but I do like the taste (sis lemon and lime) find them a bugger to open, though!! Hopefully there's enough water stations. I was definite ly thirsty and dehydrated by the end of my last marathon...
  • Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Ah the old favourite of carb loading and race fuellping. I aim for normal but clean diet Sun- Wednesday, Thursday to Saturday 8-10g of as starchy carbs as possible so lots of rice, and a larger but normal breakfast. Reduce down my fibre intake and snack on malt loaf. 

Race morning aim for 1000cals through big breakfast 4 hours and top up with lucazad. 2 gels 15 mins pre race, then at 6,12,18,21(last optional)

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Very interesting reading on nutrition/carb loading etc. I think I'm just going to stick with what I have been doing in practice as my body is used to it and I don't want to try anything new/different now. So it will be lots of pasta Friday/Saturday and then porridge and banana 3 hours before race. I won't be carrying gels as they are giving out SIS gels on the course which I am now very familiar with.

Did my final speed session this morning-8 miles with 3x1 mile reps. Splits for reps:5:41, 5:42 and 5:41 and wasn't flat out-just wanted to stay relaxed and controlled so not to get injured! Relieved to have it ticked off and come out unscathed. All easy stuff now!

Only 1 week before I will be on my way to Manchester-blimey it's getting close-excited!!

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Tom: nice speed session and sensible approach to race week nutrition. Can't believe how close it is - beginning to get excited about race day now

• Options

I will let you know my story on carb loading:-

Normal food until Wednesday but then i add a tea cake/hot cross bun mid morning and mid afternoon at work. Meanwhile drinking loads of water with electolytes in them for taste and added benefit.

Friday is rice and chicken night, with a good helping of fresh orange juice (this is high carb).

Saturday, porridge, toast and fresh orange, CHIP SHOP at lunch time yum yum meat and potatoe pie time and fresh orange, then early evening i go out to a nice restuarant and have a good pasta meal, say carbonara or something (nothing spicy).

Sunday get up early fresh orange juice, cereal, toast and porridge, with good drinking habits all around 6.00am. 

Just before the race some flapjack.

During the race i take gels at KM intervals 10, 16, 22, 27, 32, 37. I carry the gels with me, and i plant some with family, just in case i lose my belt en route.

If you see a sign on a pole with JENGA on it, that is my mum and dad, so say "Hello Johns Mum and Dad" as you pass them image, they are likely to be in Sale Moor, near Brooklands Roundabout and in Urmston.

• Options

I risked a final speed session.  Because I was a little late with it, I decided to cut back to 1200m rather than 1600...  but as I really don't know where my 5K time is now, I think I probably ran it at around 3K pace.  average 6:19 pace.Good consistent heart rate throughout.  

We now appear on the 10-day forecast... so we must be close!

I've a hotel booked on Trafford Road, same as last year, but with meals and late check out charges, even the Ibis Budget will cost me £200 for me and my wife.  It's fantastic to just rock out of the hotel at 8:40am  but now trying to decide whether I could commute in from my sister's house... about an hour on a good run. So would probably leave there around 6-45am. Not sure where I'd park... coming in from the north.   Not such a relaxed start to the day but I'd probably be up very early for breakfast anyway.   A tough choice. Any advice on how stressful that sounds, please let me know!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

NE-if it was me I'd stay with family rather than in a hotel everytime for lots of reasons. As you mentioned, you will be up early anyway for breakfast so should still have plenty of time.

Not sure how relaxed I'm going to be on the morning of first marathon or how much kip I will get the night before!image

• Options
    My marathon plan has me running the, day before. I'm so not doing that!!
  • Options
    I'm gonna wadge my belt with sis lemon and lime gels and try to get thru them all and take water at most stations, not all.
  • Options

Ikle - Mine has the same. I've followed it pretty perfectly up till now but really don't fancy running the day before. Even if it is only 2 miles. 

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Can anyone with local knowledge recommend somwhere I can take the family for a bowl of pasta in the Altringham area on Saturday evening before the race?

• Options

I'm a runstreaker, so I will be running the day before marathon day. My son and I will go and get our weekly fix of a tourism parkrun. I think it is good to run on the day before keeps your body nice and loose and it's not like I'm going to be running fast.

I'm staying at a hotel around the corner from Hale train station so, a quick hop on the train to Altrincham and then the Metro to the start happy days and an early start for me too.

• Options

Tom13, you can go to the following:-

Timperley Village - Little Italy (AWC may go there and so may i lol).

Hale - Piccolinos, very nice food.

Not sure of an italian in Altrincham to be honest (not the C not the G).

• Options

I wil run the day before, but it will be 3km max and it will be slow. It is to get the legs moving.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Thanks JJ-will look into them-sorry about the spelling!

I will go for a 3 mile jog on the Saturday to loosen up the legs if I fancy it. See how I feel on the day.

• Options

I would recommend Hale and Piccolinos, but it is a posh area and so you pay posh prices. Little Italy is a more local family owned business and it quality as well but cheaper.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Tom13 - don't expect much sleep the night before your first marathon or, in fact, any subsequent marathon. It's all about the nights running up to it. Get some early nights in this week and start drinking water - you want to be properly flushed with the stuff by Saturday.

It's all getting a bit close now. I've managed 22m this week so far and with 7-10 planned tomorrow making the best of this flaming tendon thing will be nearly back on track. It's defo falling into line but not without a fight. Next week should do it - here's hoping, and resting, and icing, and stretching, etc. Started a yoga class - bit of strength and stretching at this stage isn't a bad thing.

I'd defo do a 3m leg loosener the day before.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Don't fancy paying posh prices so Little Italy may well be the one!

Yep, early nights all week-starting tonight!

Yoga/Pilates very worthwhile I have found Orapid-stretching and core strength.

Water is a good friend of mine-drink loads of the stuff along with beer and red wine!!!image

• Options
    J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

ran a little faster than planned this morning at Bushy Parkrun. Aimed for 10k effort which felt about right going round but came out at 17:37 which is pretty quick for me.

met Rob Watson, Canadian elite marathon runner of Podcast fame. really nice guy and serious runner to.

will try and get a nap on Saturday afternoon to balance out the normally shorter nights sleep pre marathon. Particularly with a 5am wake up for breakfast. 

Last run for me will be easy 4m on Friday morning.

• Options

All becoming very exciting, glad week nearly over just aiming for an 8 min/mi 10 tomorrow and happy to get the vo2 3x1 miles out of way very pleased with 5:54, 5:51 and 5:58. took it easy with the strides on the recovery run!

Time wise PB is 3:12 as a punt aiming for 3:00:00 would be dream mode if under!

hey if any after a beer sub try Bavaria wit and 00 not too shabby!! Went for a treat today coffee and walnut cake, early carbo load!!

happy running all and take it easy 

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    I've booked Little Italy for next Saturday for a big bowl of pasta!

I really enjoyed doing my recovery run on the Saturday before my first marathon. Legs felt great - it felt like I was going so slow and it helped me realise how ready my legs were for the big day. I'll be doing 4 miles on Saturday around Sale water park. It actually helped get rid of some nervous energy as well