Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart well done on the 16 miler, and good week's total.  Hope the leg is better for the rest day

HM thanks

Gaz nice recovery 5 and well done for getting the strides in yesterday; nice easy 5 today too

Dr Dan well done on the bike commute and nice easy 6m

---

Well, I had the choice of the usual Tuesday intervals session, or a club champs 3k on the Paddington track.  Legs felt awful so I did neither !  2.5m recovery jog for me only...

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on the recovery run despite the legs feeling bad.

Dr Dan that sounds like a good bike commute. I was going to go for a spin tonight but the heavens opened and I had just washed the bike! 

Stuart I hope the leg is ok and the rest day works wonders.

Gaz nice recovery run.

Hope to get the bike out tomorrow for a spin - did hill reps on it yesterday after a part threshold run in the morning. Legs a bit tired today so a short recovery run this morning and some intervals later in the day. 

F

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening all. image

Gaz: Nice weekend running, and good job on the 5 milers over the last couple of days.
    Cal: Geese disrupted my run today too, this time I was forced to concede, and had to alter my route... Hiss!  I do like the sound of your park sessions (i.e. Terminator Death Circuits/Fartlek+), using those resources as your gym, nice going.
    Fiona: Nice threshold run yesterday, ang good going on recovery run/intervals today, hope you enjoyed them.
    Dr.Dan: Good luck on the marathon plan, and nice going on the bike commute today.
    OH: Close to PB so well done on the time, great going.  What's next race-wise?
    Teknik: Nice long run commute, and a decent reintroduction of long runs, I'm sure your legs will appreciate it soon.  Nice and deserved recovery run today.
    SM6: 6 miles done at very easy pace yesterday, ready for today's run.  Nice going on the 16 miles yesterday, hope you enjoyed the rest day.  Goof weekly miles too.
    HM4: Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Today was 10 miles, but not 10 ordinary miles, nor were the 10 extraordinary miles; scrap that, just 10 ordinary miles.

3 miles warm up/5 miles tempo/2 miles cool down.
    The second of my tempo miles was disrupted by some unruly geese, causing me to redirect my route, but managed to tack an extra mile on at the end.

Tempo Splits: 6:18, 6:?? (the geese mile), 5:58 (net downhill), 6:25, 6:28.
    Happy with the last mile as there was an uphill section at the beginning of the fifth tempo mile.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Morning 

Just a quick post 

Round 4 of the 5k summer series last night , nearly didnt bother as I hate 5k , but decided to get on with it after all its over pretty quick , was hoping for sub 21.30 my PB last time , not to be though a bit windy and it doesnt take much on that particular course to loose seconds , 21.36 so fairly close ... then to add a few extra miles a 3 mile recovery run when I got home , so with the warm up cool down race and recovery run I managed to cover 8.5 miles last night 

Will catch up properly later , not sure what I will do training wise today , woke at 5 ! early for me so may go out in a bit and get it done , as I am clothes/shoes shopping all day today with a friend ,image....

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

How's the leg feeling today. Stuart?

Ollie, well done on the goosey tempo. image

NN, well done getting close to your PB. Enjoy shopping if you can (I hate shopping, unless it's for running stuff).

Teknik - don't blame you at all. Recover well!

Fiona - tempo run and bike hill reps? You sound like one of those nutty triathlon people. image

----------------

Today was a bit of a cock-up, although it ended well. (I say that and it's not even 11am yet, but anyway...)

I sometimes suffer from terminal insomnia (this is the actual name for it - not that it's fatal but that it ends your sleep early so you end up waking up around 3 or 4am and not being able to go back to sleep). And that's what happened last night. I didn't get a good chunk in before that either, because I was woken at one point by a neighbour coming in late (house conversion so thin walls).

Anyway, I lay there feeling hot and grumpy until almost 4am so I thought, screw it, I'll just get up. At least once I've had some coffee I can have an early run. So I had coffee while I played around on my PC and watched it get light. And then I felt tired again, so I figured I'd just lay on the bed and close my eyes for a minute, and the next thing it was 7.30 and I was waking up from a dream feeling groggy as hell. (7.30 might seem early enough but it's two hours later than I like to be awake, honestly).

Had another coffee, but I was so groggy that it took almost two more hours to get outdoors. I did get outside at quarter past nine, but for some reason my Garmin would not pick up the satellite so I ended up going back in, re-syncing it (there was an update, so I guess that could be the reason, I dunno) and then trying again. Fortunately, it worked the second time.

I wasn't sure what kind of run I would have so I started out at a modest speed and found I had a bit more bounce in my legs than I expected. I ended up doing a 6 mile (mostly) progression run. I say mostly, because the last mile was going to be a cool-down but then I changed my mind, so it ended up being neither one thing nor the other. Splits were 10:32, 10:02, 9:56, 9:36, 9:02 and 9:13.

Anyway, I was pretty happy with that, and it was sunny too.

I was going to go to 12 o' clock yoga as well but with me starting my run so late, there wasn't enough time for me to eat and digest breakfast in between. Plus, still frickin' tired.

• Options
    GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Tek - Sorry to hear the legs are lacking zip. Better a 2.5m plod than getting injured.

Ollie - Nice tempo run.

NN - Good effort on the gentle-paced run after the parkrun, something I've never quite got the hang of, as I race so rarely.

Cal - I used to get onset insomnia when I was younger but just seemed to grow out of it. Glad to hear that you got out for a run.

Despite dreading the thought of it, I had a really good quality session today. I'm trying a variation on the Jack Daniels 2Q plan and was horrified by the thought of turning the mid-week long run and long run into quality sessions; however today's went very well. After the warmup, I slipped into marathon pace running and found a really nice groove which carried me for the next 8 miles. Felt fantastic for much of the time.

3 miles easy (8:45-9:00mm) running, 7 miles at marathon pace (7:30-7:40mm), 1 mile at threshold pace (7:00mm) and then 1 mile easy to finish. 12 miles total in about 1:35.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hey. image

NN: Does shopping constitute cross training I wonder..?  Enjoy anyway.  Well done on the 5k too.
    Cal: Great going on the progressive run, good stuff.
    Gaz: Sounds like a decent 12 miles today, nice one.

- - - - - - - - - -

14 geese-free miles from me today, started off at 8:15s, finished off on 7:30s.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Ollie - Well done on the 14 today, and a great tempo yesterday. Even if it was interrupted a bitimage

Gaz - I bought the Daniels book, but the training plans terrified me. I'd be going into work utterly burst one night a week if I followed that! Impressed session though, good stuffimage

Cal - Shame about the sleep, but a nice run this morningimage

NN - Cracking 5k, even if not quite a PBimage

Fiona - Well done on the training yesterday, hope you made it out todayimage

Tek - Not surprised the legs felt awful after your first long run in a good while! At least you got outimage

------------

13 miles @ 8s, was trying to wind it up to MP for the last couple but kept hitting road crossings at that point so it wasn't happening.

Leg still isn't particularly great, but it can handle running on the flat if I'm careful with my footing. 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Lots and lots of reading back, went AWOL since the weekend. Pulled out of the 10K race on Saturday just before the half way point dude to the right calf. Thought I would take a couple of days rest and swim and bike but that didn't go to plan when I put my back out again on Sunday and have been on Tramadol for the pain ever since. These pain killers make me feel like i'm floating around the ceiling and also make me feel sick but it's the only thing that hits the pain....... Buddy is busting to get out for a run and all I can offer him at the moment is a very slow old man stooped hobble.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona nice running and bikingimage

Ollie good 10 with 5 at tempo yesterday, and well done on the progressive 14 todayimage

NN well done on the 5k last night; hope you enjoyed the shopping todayimage

Cal hope you get a better night's sleep - well done for getting out for that progressive 6 this morningimage

Gaz those JD plans scare me too - great running todayimage

Stuart good 13 miler today; hope that leg niggle clears up soonimage

NP ouch, hope you can sort the back out quicklyimage

---

8.6m with the club tonight - warm up, 7m at MP (averaged 7:39mm, HR better than last week but the splits were all over the place), then a quick warm-down run home in time for kick-off.  Well done Wales, shame it didn't quite happen tonight.image

• Options

20 mile cycle on Monday. 35 mile cycle on Wednesday. 

Park Run on Saturday and hopefully an improvement upon last week's 18:09. In recent weeks I have been barely getting under 18 mins or last week missing 18 mins when I am stopping over the last mile of my Park Run.

I will need to get back on the treadmill again and cycle spin classes may be needed if I want to get my Park Run time down again. Enjoying scenery on 1 to 2+ hour easy cycles is far more enjoyable than tough mid week gym work outs.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NP, sorry to hear about your back. I hope you get it sorted. On the plus side, at least it'll give your calf chance to heal.

Some nice long runs from Gaz, Ollie and Stuart.

Well done on the 8.6, Teknik. I wasn't bothered about the footy - I was busy riding the Murray rollercoaster on Centre Court. That match and the Federer one before it were really tense and exciting.

----------

Oh and I did not get a better night's sleep last night because a feckin' mouse has invaded my flat and was crashing around the place like an elephant, squeaking and doing mouse stuff. I didn't see it but I sure as hell heard it. Going to have to buy some more glue traps. image

Still, I did get out for 4 easy miles (10:27 average) this morning, with yoga still to come. Spot of rain during the last mile, which I quite enjoyed.

• Options

Tek nice club running at MP

cal we had mice lot's of excitement from the bigger mice in my house yes they are all elephants... nice run in the rain

Sub17 Hope you get your park runtime down.. what's your strategy do treddy sessions help... I'm not managing to get under 20

NP Please take care with the Tremadol.. beware of withdrawal.. gave me headaches when I stopped taking it last year..  get super speedy again soon

SM6 well done on the 13 if leg causing trouble sounds like the crossings were a blessing in disguise

Ollie nice steady 14miler for you

Gaz good to hear you're trying the 2Q sessions with jack daniels I'll follow how you get on as quite interested in that

Fiona hope the bike sessions are going OK are you going for the Frankfurt marathon again?

NN well done on going for the 5k's

Tek I'm doing the 3000' mountains of Scotland done 206 32 to go. Finishing the Cairngorms is 2x35 mile days plus  mountains!

SM6/Fiona  Cairngorms great for cycling.. I should  make more use of my bike! We came upto Aviemore at the end of May fab weather great hill days. Made me realise how challenging it's going to be to do 2 35 mile days. All this to feed the Munro bagging habit image

17 miles tuesday morning trail run slow and steady

13 miles yesterday morning slow and steady

Club run tonight

Concentrating on higher mileage slow steady and running on tired legs in prep for Cairngorms

• Options
    GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Tek, MG7 & SM6 - Yes, I remember reading his book (3rd Edition on Kindle, I think) and being very impressed with the thought and research that has gone into it. Then got to the plans and was so unnerved, I had to put the book down and read something else for a bit. 4E+8M+1T+1E and then 8E+2x(2T w/ 2 mins rest)+1T+1E in week 1? Holy s***, it's a kill or cure marathon training plan!

I think the key for me is going to be keeping the easy running very easy. 75% of max HR is about 146BPM for me, which works out at about 8:45 for a flat mile.

Plan is for a very easy 3 mile recovery run this morning.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

SM6: Nice, steady 13 miles yesterday.
    NP: Sounds like a tough time, take care.
    Teknik: Nice 8.6 miles yesterday, good going on the marathon paced miles.
    Sub17: It tends to take me a month or two to get my parkrun times back down post-marathon, so hopefully it's just a matter of recovery.  Good going on the cycling.
    Cal: Thought you typed 'moose' at first.  Hope the mouse problem gets sorted soon, nice going on the 4 miles.
    MG7: Nice mileage over the last couple of days, enjoy the club run.
    Gaz: Sounds tough but hopefully it works, enjoy the recovery run today.

- - - - - - - - - -

6 easy miles today, then may go for a cycle but will see.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sub17 nice couple of bike rides, I agree the spin classes and treddie sessions are less fun !

Cal that's annoying!  Well done on the easy 4m, hope the yoga is fun

Michael well done on the 13 and 17 slow and steady runns

Gaz hope the recovery run went well - scary first week's plan !

Ollie nice easy 6

---

5.5m easy around Hyde Park at lunchtime - a couple of slow 8:45s at the start and finish, and a tad under 8mm for the middle 3 (downhill).  Then I ran a few short strides at the end.image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tek - choice 3 seemed appropriate given the legs. Nice return with the MP sesh... and today's easy run too.

Fiona - good luck with the intervals.

Olli - extraordinarily ordinary! Did you get goose bumps? Nice 14 on the run after.... and then another 6 to boot!

NN - well done on the 5K & extensions.

Cal - bad luck on the sleep but well done on getting the 6 & 4 done.

Gaz - very nice 12 miler there! Good luck with the 3 easy miles.

Stuart - 13 @ 8s sounds good to me.

NP - bad luck with the calf and back pain. Get well soon!

Sub17 - I guess training needs to be periodic - you can't hit fast parkruns every week.

MG7 - Some big miles there - well done!

10 miles at 8:20/m for me yesterday.... longest run for a couple of months and felt good. No running today ... short tempo planned tomorrow and then Leeds 10K on Sunday.

• Options

Dr Dan - Nice 10 milesimage

Tek - Well done on the club MP run, and the easy jog todayimage

Ollie - Good 6 this morningimage

Gaz - I don't know if you've read all the plans, but I think there is one plan that has an utterly ridiculous session, something like 22 with a total of 15 at threshold!!!image Hope you made it out for the short run today.

Cal - Well done on the 4 milesimage, hope you get the mouse situation sorted

Michael - Impressive miles there, good stuffimage

NP - Ouch, hope the back clears up soon.

------------

Leg doesn't feel any worse than it did before yesterdays run.

Going to go along club, under normal circumstances I wouldn't but our group is going through a bit of transition at the moment. We're a group that is unaffiliated to the club (probably only 50% of our runners are club memebers) but we've been incredibly lucky that we've had 2 coaches taking sessions for us for free 3 times a week, but work situation has changed for both of them and they can no longer do it. So this is the first week of us trying to run without a qualified coach, so it's a case of us all mucking in and hoping we can keep it goingimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good you got a goose free run today Ollie - did you get the bike out?

NN great 5k, well done. Hope you had a good days shopping.

Cal well done getting up at silly o'clock to run! I'm definitely no triathlete but started cycling after an injury from Frankfurt 2014. Still niggles a lot so get the bike out a fair bit and love it!

Gaz great MP/Threshold run. I have the Daniels book but its a bit daunting!

Good luck with the coachless club running Stuart. hope the leg continues to behave.

Teknik great MP running.

NP I hope the back eases off soon and you and Buddy can get out running.

Sub17 nothing beats a nice spin in decent weather.  

MG great long runs, sounds like you're well prepared for the Cairngorms! 

Dr D nice to bag a longer run.

48 mile cycle yesterday with a few hills. A great day for it but was so hungry, could have done with a coffee. tried intervals later but not happening so just did a short easy run. Today was a short progressive early then intervals later. Now watching the tour image

F

• Options

Fiona - Nice haul of training over the last few daysimage

-----------

Club session of (approx)800/1500/800/1500 last night. Recoveries were far too long, but pretty pleased with pace (5:45/5:51/5:27/5:40) especially as I had done a 16 and 13 already this week.

Going to the gym shortly, then I'll run 4-6 miles this evening after I've been to bed.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona nice bike ride and well done on the easy run, and another good double day yesterdayimage

Stuart great pace on those intervals last nightimage

---

Feeling a bit under the weather here, so just a short recovery jog for me...

---

Weekend Races

10/7/16 Leeds 10k Dr Dan

Good luck Dr Danimage

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice intervals Stuart ... enjoy the gym.

Nice bike mileage *(and runnign) Fiona. Looking forward to catching up on Le Tour later.

Sensible decision Tek .. and thanks for the good luck - not expecting much after the slack period but it will be good training (only entered because my bro and daughter are running).

4.6 miles today with two at 7:22/m. Sunday's run should bring me close to 30 miles for the week, with 54 miles bike as well (much the same as last week and what I'm hoping for the next 2 weeks as well, before gradually increasing the run mileage).

• Options
    GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Ollie - Do you find the cycling helps at all with recovery or building endurance? Good 6 miles in the bank.

Tek - When I was based in the UK, I used to work in Berkeley Square and would occasionally run round Hyde Park first thing in the morning. Good mix of pace there.

Dr. Dan - Nice 10 miler. Good luck with the Leeds 10k. Nothing like a bit of brotherly and sisterly competition to get the legs moving

SM6 - Fingers crossed for the group. Some nice fast intervals there.

Fiona - Well done on the long bike ride.

Made it out for my gentle 3 mile recovery run yesterday fortunately; I say fortunately as I had an absolute pig of a day at work. Managed to slip out for another 5 mile easy run this arvo at about 8:40 pace.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

Teknik: Good going on the 5.5 miles yesterday.  Hope you start feeling better soon, sensible to keep it easy today.
    Dr.Dan: No goose bumps, but already eyeing up my choice of Christmas roast bird (I jest... Sort of).  Nice 10 miles yesterday, and good going on the run today.  Best of luck for Sunday.
    SM6: Sounds like a decent club session sans running coaches, hopefully you'll be better guided to appropriate recovery times next time,  good going on the gym and evening run today as well.
    Fiona: Didn't get the bike out in the end, left it occupied with a cross word so it wasn't too put out, that is to say I was a tad too lazy to cycle.  Great cycling and running from you though, good stuff.
    Gaz: Nice recovery run yesterday, and good easy run today.  Didn't end up cycling yesterday, but when I do, it is purely for leisure rather than any catered towards any specific aspect of training, so I can't answer that, sorry.  But I suppose it could be used for both recovery/endurance depending on how you use it, perhaps one of the more knowledgeable cyclists on here can be of better assistance.  

- - - - - - - - - -

12 miles at a steady 8min./mile pace, finished in 1:33.14.
    Which means at least one participle in the above statement was a lie, as the pace and time don't add up over the distance alleged to have been run.  Indeed, my pants are on fire seeing as the steady 8:00 was not a quote steady 8:00 unquote but was in fact a not-so-steady approximate-8:00.

But happy with the overall pacing, it was the beginning miles where I set off a tad too fast, reined the pace in after 2 miles and had a nice run overall, finishing on a 7:xx for the last mile.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Evening 

So much to catch up with again !!

I really will read back but just on my way out !!

Although I must just say NP sorry to hear you have been in such pain ! and yes tramadol will make you feel pretty 'odd' hope you feel better now

15 miles today too warm ! but average just under 8.30s  

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Dr Dan,

Good luck.

NP,

Hope things settle down quickly.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Some great training going on.

Teknik hope your feeling yourself soon.

Fiona great cycling and running (Also watching the tour and loving it)

NN some great long runs getting banked and in the heat.

Ollie nice longer runs. LOL at the cross word with the bike image

Dr Dan nice running during the week good luck with the 10k.

SM6 some nice tasty reps at pace.

HM4 any training?

Well stopped taking the Tramadol yesterday (hate taking them and the feeling that comes with them) Back is about 90%  Calf felt good so tried a short run yesterday morning but had to stop after only a few hundred yards with my calf playing up again. So today I managed a swim of 50x25m and a short ride of 10 miles on the turbo. Think the calf is going to take a few weeks to heal as its sore to walk on again. But good thing is I can swim and ride the bike. image 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

I've only managed to get out once this week so far and the gym.  The cat wasn't very well earlier on in the week and had to clear up from that.  I've also lost my voice so I'm hoping that doesn't turn into a chesty cough.

• Options

My GPS watch record my Park Run as 17:37, today. Everyone that ran my local Park Run today were given the same time of 59m 59secs.

My Park Run average went from 17:40 to 18:19 as a result of the time error. 

• Options

S17 - Good parkrun timeimage, I've a couple of 59:59s times recorded.

NP - Glad you're starting to feel a bit betterimage

NN - Nice pace for the long runimage

Ollie - Pretty swift 12 miles, good stuffimage

Gaz - Well done on the couple of short runsimage

Dr Dan - Good luck for the 10kimage

Tek - Hope you're feeling a bit betterimage

----------

Upper body weights at the gym yesterday morning, then 5 miles recovery in the evening. 

Club session this morning, which I think is 2x2miles. So, close enough to a tempo run for me.