Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Tek - Don't blame you for skipping the club session, I done the same!image Well done on at least doing some running, unlike meimage

Dr Dan - Good training todayimage

NN - Very nice pace for that 11image

Ollie - Well done on the 10 miles earlierimage

Fiona - Good cycling and runningimage, did you get back out again later in the day?

---------

Just a quick weights session for me tonight. Got a nice easy start to this weeks training, 14 tomorrow and 11 with 8 @ MP Thursday. Grimimage

Oh yeah, signed up for Stirling 10k without checking my race calendar. As it stands I now have a marathon, 10k and HM on consecutive Sundays. Obviously just jogging the marathon but still a bit heavy going. PBing at HM will prove challenging on the back of that! Not that I'd expect to do it anyway.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I hear you, Stuart. I'm running four half marathons in the Autumn and last year they were all three weeks apart. This year, the first two are one week apart, then the second two are one week apart. And between those pairs, I've managed to sandwich a 10 miler (two weeks after the 2nd half and two weeks before the 3rd). Given that my goal for the year was a sub-2 half, I'm an idiot. image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tek - hope you get on with some work today!image

Stuart - ouch ... sounds like a tough combo coming up!image

Found out this morning that my littlest had a music assembly at 9:15 and Mrs Dan was working ... so I left the bike at home, dropped child at the school's breakfast club at 8, left car at school and went for an 8.2 mile MP run (7:34/m) ending at home, jumped on bike and cycled to school, watched assembly, cycled to work ... will cycle back to school later to collect child & car. I shall be wearing my Super-Dad socks this evening image. This also means Sunday's 8 mile with 5 @ MP can be converted to 8 easy.

• Options
    GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Ollie - Good run with strides.

Fiona - The dreaded treadie intervals always make me feel sick. Something about running inside.

NN - Well done on the MLR.

SM6 - Good luck with the long-ish and MP runs.

Cal - Nah, it'll be alright as long as you keep your training at a slow pace, the races can act as speework!

Dr.Dan - That's a pretty solid MP run. Good stuff.

Day off for me yesterday to spend with the family, as they arrived in the UK from NZ on Monday night, but got out for a quality run today; 2m Easy, 3m Threshold, 5m Easy, 2m Threshold, 1m Easy. The threshold miles were marginally better paced: 7:00, 7:03, 6:40 (oops), 6:58, 6:54. Did the extra 0.1 miles to make it an HM in 1:44:53.

• Options

Gaz - Great run todayimage

Dr Dan - Nice effort on todays trainingimage

Cal - It does sound a bit daft, but! In Feb/March one of my club mates PB'd at 5k one Saturday, had a great run at the national XC the next. PB'd at 10 miles the next week, then broke his 33 year old HM PB the week after. A week later he then proceeded to break it again, and 2 weeks later PB'd once again at 10 miles.

So it clearly can be done!image

-------

Think I'll change the plan slightly and just do a steady 11 tonight, then 14w/8 tomorrow. Hopefully sleep a bit better tomorrow.

• Options

Change of plan, done 11 with 8 @ 6:57. Timed is well as about 5 minutes after getting home, the heavens have opened.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Thanks.  I still have a very small tickley cough however my lungs feel very close to normal.  I've been out for a very slow 2.5 miles (think the pace was 12:15).

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart well done on the weights and good run today - fast pace for the 8image

Cal Lolimage

Dr Dan definitely a super-Dad morning - well done on the 8 @ MP, nice paceimage

Gaz terrific 13.1m today, well doneimage

HM glad you got out and well done on the 2.5mimage

---

8.5m with the club tonight, with 7m at MP - usual story, the 7:45 group went off too fast, then got faster - ended up running on my own and averaged 7:34mm.image 

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening all. image

Fiona: Nice cycling and treadmill intervals, very good mileage on the bike.
    NN: Nice 11 miles, good pacing as well.  I think my problem with marathon pacing is getting complacent at the beginning and being punished for it after 20 miles.
    Dr.Dan: Nice going on the bike commute, and 8 mile run yesterday, and today's marathon paced run today.  Hope you and your daughter enjoyed the music assembly.
    Teknik: Nice bouncy 3 miles yesterday.  Nice going on the 8.5 miles with 7 at marathon pace as well today, good stuff.
    SM6: Well done on weights yesterday and the 11 with 8 at marathon pace today, lucky you changed plan before spending 2+ miles in a deluge.
    Cal: Some race diary, impressive.  Good luck on the sub-2 half this year.
    Gaz: Hope your family enjoy their UK trip.  Nice quality run today, well done on the unofficial half today.
    HM4: Good to hear, nice going on the 2.5 miles today, well done.

- - - - - - - - - -

Had an easy 14 miles today, when I got back home, the UK had a new Prime Minister.  Still, the weather was very nice this afternoon in contrast to the morning drizzle.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Stuart, I managed to get a 10K PB a week after running a tough, muddy half marathon - I've just not done back to back halves. But I figured, I've done a marathon now, so it can't be harder than that! (Nice 11 miles, btw)

Ollie - good work on the 14. And yeah, our second female PM. But Boris as foreign secretary... image

Teknik - Sensible of you. Silly of them though!

Gaz - enjoy the rest day!

---

Did gym (first time in two weeks so I didn't push it too much) and yoga yesterday.

6.5 progression today (though the last 1.5 was a cooldown). Nice and sunny.

Splits were 10:32, 10:03, 9:33, 9:20 (my current HM PB pace), 8:47 (fast 10K pace), then 10:13 and the last half at 10:18.

Legs felt fresh although right hammy is still knotty. Hopefully my masseur will take care of that on Monday.

• Options
    GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

SM6 - That's a great 11 miles, especially maintaining a sub-7mm pace over the middle 8.

HM4 - Good to get out, but take it nice and slow until the cough gets better.

Tek - Ha ha, did the red mist descend during your club run?!

Ollie - Amazing how much can change during a long run. Well done!

Gentle 6m easy run for me this morning to recover from yesterday's quality run. Lovely weather for it.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie well done on the easy 14 yesterdayimage

Cal well done on the gym and yoga yesterday; nice progressive 6.5m todayimage

Gaz nice easy 6m this morningimage

---

Club sandwich MLR of 11.8m tonight - 3.5m jog to the park; coached session of a warm-up, some stretches and drills, then 1',2',3',4',5',5',4',3',2',1' efforts off a 1' jog/walk; then a 3.5m very sorry jog home.

It was great to have a coach on site - with a whistle, and shouting instructions on running form. There was a 15 year old girl (sub 19 5k!) there who the coach ordered to take a break, as she was running with the faster men, and they were running the recoveries too hard...great advice. image

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hey.

Cal: Nice gym session, and 6.5 mile progressive.
    Gaz: Yes, though the correlation between my running and change of Cabinet remains inconclusive as yet.  Nuce 6 miles this morning.
    Teknik: Good going on the 11.8 mile run, with club session to boot.  unless you literally ran 11.8 miles for a club sandwich, I know I would.

- - - - - - - - - -

6.1 miles from me including Sale Sizzlers #2 (5km race)

Took a bit of a tumble on the track at the start but finished in 17:23 (17:23.21 by my watch), 38th out of 467 that started, and a new 5k PB to boot.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie PB! Even after a tumble !!  Great going imageimageimage

Gaz I should have said, yes, there was some red mist, but I'm over it - next week I'll join the 8mm group in the expectation they'll all run 7:45...lolimage

• Options

My bicycle frame breaking the day after my Park Run capped off a disappointing weekend. I will buy a new bike after I complete my next Marathon in mid-October. I will have to get by on doing gym sessions and my weekly Park Runs over the next 3 months in lead up to my marathon. 

Over the last 12 months I have been cycling 50 to 100 miles per week to maintain aerobic fitness without doing the longer runs. 2 spin classes + treadmill runs will make up my 2 mid week gym sessions and Park Run as my only speed work.

In August I will be running a pair of Half Marathon races within 3 weeks and then it will leave me 7 weeks before my mid-October Marathon.

I will need to run the first half of my marathon 10 to 15 mins slower than my upcoming HM race. By taking the first half easy I can improve upon the 3:31 Marathon I ran in June.

I set sub 1h 25 mins as the time I will go for in my two HM races in August. Based on my 5km PB I should be close to sub 1h 20 mins but getting under 1h 25 mins will be fine. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Good luck with the 8:00 group Tek. image

Ollie ... impressive falling & runnign combo!  image

Bike commuting (inc. flat tyre) and a lunchtime run of 4.6 miles with 4 x 800m off 2 min... forgot my watch today do guessed the efforts.

• Options

S17 - Shame about the bike. Quite a few of my mates done there long aerobic effort on the bike instead of running, and just do hard sessions running. With pretty decent results, although I don't know if they've tried that approach upto marathon.

Ollie - Blistering stuff, especially after a fall. Brilliant!imageimage

Tek - Wow, that sounds a brutal session! I much prefer 10-15 minute tempo reps rather than this 1 minutes eyeballs out carry on!image Good MP session tooimage

Did the young girl in your group original set out to do that full session? Just curious as we've had a few quick juniors train with us (we've a 13 year old who can beat me over a mile, I think her PB is 5:13 or so) but they only do half the session, at most.

Gaz - Well done on the 6 mile recoveryimage

Cal - Nice progressive 6 milesimage

----------

Was supposed to be 14 last night, but went to club instead. 4 hill reps (and I think we were meant to come back down hard too, but I sorta half arsed it) felt strong on the uphills for once, even after Wednesdays MP run.

Had a chuckle looking at my clubs Strava group page, my average running pace last week was 13th fastest of 15, despite arguably being the 3rd fastest (theirs 4 of us pretty much identical in pace though) at the moment. 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sub17 sorry to hear about the bike

Dr Dan nice bike commute and well done on the lunchtime intervals

Stuart I think that was what happened - coach made her stop after the halfway point, but I think let her back in for the 3,2,1 after telling her to jog the recoveries slowly. Nothing wrong with slow training - well done on the hill reps

---

Just under 5m recovery jog tonight - about 8:45 paceimage

• Options

Evening 

SM6 I saw your epic 11 miler on strava ! a seriously good run with those tough MP miles , good effort on the club stuff after that and recovery today 

Ollie nice 14 and awesome 5k time even after a falll !  I think thats where most people go wrong ! marathon pace whatever it is for whover it is feels almost  too easy after a good  taper esoecially over the early miles but its a different story at 22 , wise words from a friend , you can run the first mile too fast but you can never run it too slow 

DD well done on getting a decent speed session in at lunch time 

Tek thats certainlt a different way to do a MLR !! and yes if your club is anything like mine  8mm means 7.45 at slowest ! and always a race to the club house ! 

GM that was really a real quality session with a training half marathon time in a time people would die for in a race  ! you deserve a easy day 

Cal nice progressive run never easy to pace  right ! but you nailed it 

Ive had a good couple of days weather perfect for a change ! 

10k stready run on -wednesday @ 7.45 pace

8 easy miles @ 8.25s yesterday 

18 miles 9.05 pace today with a mate really chuffed with that ! longest run since April 2015 ! and it actually felt easy , plenty left in the tank ! I resisted the tempation to carry on and do 20 !! 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Sub17,

Sorry to hear about the bike.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN yes I have my own treadmill in the garage; keep waiting for it to break down as it's a fair age now! Great long run today and sounds like you paced it perfectly.

Stuart thats a very impressive MP run. Your marathon PB must be around 3 hours now or is that your target? I didn't get out for a second cycle on Tuesday. Legs were a bit trashed after intervals and the fast cycle.  

Thats a busy race schedule Cal.

Dr D I think I would have forgotten where the car was after all that!! 

Gaz great threshold session.

Well done HM4.

Teknik great MP session. image

Sub17 did you come off the bike for the frame to break? Do you have any bike in mind? I would be devastated if I broke my bike! image

Ollie hope you have no after effects of the tumble! Well done on the PB! image

An easy short run and turbo for me on Wednesday then 10 mile run on Thursday (8mm av) with a 30 mile cycle at night. Rest day today then a couple of short runs over the weekend. Will be marshalling again - at my club's stage race this time. 

F

• Options

Fiona - Ha! My mara PB is nowhere near 3 hours! (3:35 at Manchesterimage) but I went sub 84 for HM last month and feel I'm still getting a bit quicker so Frankfurt target will hopefully be around 3:03 (7 minute/mile). Sounds a big ask off a 3:35 PB, but I should have the speed for it.image

Good running and cycling Wed/Thurs, enjoy the running and marshalling over the weekendimage

Tek - Nice 5 mile recoveryimage Ah, that makes sense then. Our old coaches had the under 18 girls, and u16 boys doing shorter sessions than the adults. Quite interesting seeing the youngsters sessions on track, one of my my mates was saying his son was doing 400m reps, off 7 minutes!!!image 

NN - Great training over the last few days, and a very nice 18 earlier todayimage

------------

6 miles @ approx 9s this afternoon. Legs not playing the game, unsurprisinglyimage

Should be 14 tomorrow, but it's 5th anniversary parkrun at Falkirk which seems as good a reason as any to give 19 minutes a crack. Especially as I'd expect a good turn out from the club.

I suppose I could then do 12 Sunday and 19 Monday and then pull my 1st recovery week forward to next week. I noticed P&D goes 5 weeks before the 1st recovery week, then only 3 to the next so I might square it up to 4 and 4, but I do still have a spare week to use anyway. That'd be 57,58,61 and 64 mile weeks, and I don't expect to go too much higher. Peak week looks to be about 72.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello. image

Teknik: Cheers, nice recovery jog.
    Sub17: Sorry to hear about the bike, hope you can still manage to get some good aerobic work done.
    Dr.Dan: Nice bike commuting (on flat tyres) and running (hopefully not on flat feet).
    SM6: Pride before the fall... Allegedly.  Good going on the hill reps and 6 miles.  Good luck at parkrun tomorrow.
    NN: Yep, hopefully I'll learn for next time... Hopefully.  Sounds like a good 19 mile run today, nice job.
    HM4: Thank you.
    Fiona: Grazes seem to be merely aesthetic, though not fashionable.  Sounds like a nice bit of running and deserved rest day today.

- - - - - - - - - - 

Today was 12 miles at easy pace (~9 min/miles).
    No geese which was good, though there was a nice heron and some coots to observe along the canal, and ducks of course.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Today I ran 17:57 in my Park Run. 

I purchased a new flat road bike, Cannondale. I was tempted to buy a carbon road bike but I am too scared to break an expensive carbon bike. 

The cost of repairing my bike was more expensive than buying a new bike so I opted for a new bike.

• Options

S17 - Good parkrun againimage

Ollie - Nice 12 miles yesterday, good to avoid the geeseimage

----------

Parkrun planned shelved, seeing as I woke stupidly early I couldn't be bothered waiting about. Just plodded out 8 miles, this lack of sleep doesn't help the legs at all. Might go to the gym then back to sleep for a few hours later.

• Options

Heading back after short break. 13 hilly miles done yesterday near Skipton

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello again. image

Sub17: Nice parkrun, and sounds like the new bike was the better option, or least expensive anyway.
    SM6: Nice 8 mile plod, have fun at the gym and hope that you manage to catch up on the sleep deficit.
    OH: Safe journey back, hope you had a good time on your travels.

- - - - - - - - - -

T'was parkun today (18:51, 2nd place) plus 3 miles for 6.1 miles total.
    I think my legs still had a bit of the Sizzler in them, but plan is to take the next parkrun easy so as to go in to the third Sizzler without a prior hard 5k in the legs.

Off t'chippy soon for some lunch, yum yum.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done on the 13 miles, OH.

Ollie, fab parkrun for you!

Well done Sub-17. Only a minute to live up to your name.image

Stuart - I always find a crappy night's sleep makes my legs feel like lead. Enjoy your nap.

-----

Last parkrun for a couple of weeks today, as I'm heading off to Germany on Friday.

Weather: muggy. Very muggy.

I took a full rest day yesterday so my legs had some boing in them, but the humidity certainly didn't make it easy to breathe.

Official time was 26:29 (26:28 on my Garmin) which is just 9 seconds down on my PB. Splits were 8:28, 8:34, 8:42 so a consistent 6 second drop-off between miles. Legs were fine (knees a bit sore afterwards, though) but I struggled with my breathing during the last mile and a bit, and I had nothing left at the end. Annoyingly, I was second in my age category again - the first woman was just 4 seconds ahead of me! (PB for her, though).

Would I be right in thinking fast intervals are what's needed to improve breathing? (Just something to think about as my remaining races for the year are half marathons and one 10 miler, so the breathing thing is less of an issue there, it's more muscle stamina).

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on the 18 miler - great that it felt relaxed and easyimage

HM thanksimage

Fiona nice biking and running again - hope the weather is good for the marshallingimage

Stuart 7 minutes recovery ! Nice easy 6 and well done on getting out for the 8 - hope you catch up on the sleepimage

Ollie lunch sounded good...well done on the easy gooseless 12 and nice parkrun this morningimage

Sub17 good parkrun and congrats on the new bikeimage

OH well done on the hilly 13mimage

Cal well done on the parkrun - so close to a PB...and yes, intervals at 5k pace or slightly faster would help. image

---

Bailed on the club champs 1k this morning - too hot, but having seen the photos posted I regret not going, as most of it was in the shade.

Just a 4m recovery jog hereimage

----

oops, I forgot to post this yesterday...

Weekend Races

16/7/16  ClydeStride 40m  Tricialitt

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stuart you are absolutely flying! You definitely have the speed so current PB is irrelevant image

Nice 12 miler Ollie and great that it was goose free! image  Also super speedy park run and well done on the 2nd.

Sub17 I agree, by the time you buy the frame and get it all assembled much cheaper getting a bike - also if you had a new frame you would probably want a new groupset and of course the all important wheels!! image 

Nice hilly run OH.

Great park run result Cal! 

Teknik good that you got a recovery run done despite the heat.

Did my first park run in two years today - worst park run time (I've only done 4). Tried to take it easy at the start but pace was very even - 20:46, second lady and set a new course best for my geriatric category! Arrived too late for a wee jog to warm up so happy enough with that.

F