Options

Abingdon Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Unfortunately my wife has had to pull out of the Abingdon Marathon so we have a spare place going. Send me a direct message if you're interested.

Thanks, and happy training everyone! I'm off for my 20 miler, legs still heavy from a midweek threshold run...

• Options

Sorry to hear that Al. There are a few people who have started threads looking for places in this section and in the spring marathon one.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Roman road run was 16 miles running into rain and wind......as its a north to south course in one direction we didnt get the tailwind at all.....

finished in one piece and got my low back up run today so weekly total up to 41 the last week....

but still only 16 miles for the long run....  will have to go longer next week as running out of time image

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

Smashed my last two weeks of training, 45 miles last week, 48 miles this week just gone with a 20 mile long run, been feeling really strong at the end of the long runs so very pleased. Easier week this week which I think my legs will appreciate, although some of my colleagues and I have entered the Millbrook 'mad 5k' tomorrow, which is basically 5k around there off-road test track, including hills, mud, loose gravel, and waist-deep water. Should be interesting...

• Options

Backing up your long run like that will stand you in good stead though seren and you have a great endurance base.

Hope you enjoy the 5k Nader - sounds like my idea of hell.

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

So I did the Mad 5k yesterday, came 4th out of a couple of hundred which was a nice surprise! I was catching up the person in front of me up every hill but then lost time again coming down the hills - given the steep descents were all on loose gravel I was pretty cautious as the last thing I wanted to do was go over on my ankle or fall flat on my face with a marathon next month!

Even managed to wade through the water quite quickly, fortunately it had only had 3 people through it before me to churn up mud!

• Options

Hi - anyone need a spare place? I'm not running this one anymore.

• Options

Did you manage to pass your place on Prestwichrunner?

Quiet - everyone out training? I managed a PB at the Vale of York half today, hoping that bodes well for Abingdon and that my holiday in three weeks doesn't result in too much excess weight and lack of training!

• Options

brilliant news on the PB LMH....

I have been having a cutback week....

• Options
    No takers, good luck in the race everyone
  • Options

Prestwichrunner - there is a thread on Fetcheveryone with people looking for numbers or you can email the race organiser and he'll arrange a swap with someone on the waiting list for you.

• Options
    Sounds good! Will do, many thanks
  • Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

Quick question for anyone who's done the race before/has local knowledge...

Is there a café that does breakfast on or near the route, preferably on the looped section, that would be open that time on a Sunday morning? My wife and parents want to come and watch but I expect they'll get pretty bored waiting in the stadium area for 3.5 hours for me to get back to the finish. Was thinking if there was such a café then they could drop me at the start, drive off and have some breakfast, see me twice, and get back to the finish in time for me to cross the line.

• Options

Not that I've ever noticed I'm afraid, it's a bit of a bleak industrial area.

• Options

missed my first run today in the 4 / 5 weeks I have been back in training.. Just too much to do....

will hopefully get back into it with my first 20 miler on saturday. Will incorporate Colby park run into it as will be in tenby supporting ironman wales

• Options

Hello!image

I'm doing this one as my 7th marathon. Did it back in 2013 in 3:38, despite 92 min HM in build up (a typical, for me,  poor conversion). Bit worried that my mileage and long runs haven't been long enough this time around. In past I would take Saturday off, eat well, and then do about 5 x 20s on Sunday mornings during the mara build up. This time I have been cycling 40-50 miles per week and experimenting with carb-fasted "longish" run doubles ... run 1 in evening and run 2 next morning, having not had any carbs for a couple of days. The consequence is that the distances have been shorter ... 6/13, 8/14, 8/16, 10/18, 9/16 ... but they have felt pretty tough. Probably another 1-2 of these to go at the upper end of the distance scale. Not sure what will happen on 23rd ... sure to learn something from the experience though! image

p.s. I did Colby parkrun while on my hols in Tenby. A very nice event!image

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I have just transferred my place to someone through the organisers so can vouch for that system working. Gutted to be missing the race through injury. Hope everyone else gets to the start line unscathed. Must be taper time soon!

• Options

Sorry to hear that Tomimage. Yes the official swap system is good ... made use of that this time and also in 2013.

• Options

What have you been trying to achieve with that sort of training Dr Dan?

With race packs coming out imminently there can't be much time left for swaps.

• Options

Is anyone else expecting 3:45 - 4:00 in this run? I've just noticed in 2015 there was a 5 hour cut off and I did Nottingham Marathon yesterday  in 4:14 so that makes me think I'm going to be one of the stragglers at Abingdon?

• Options

I'm in

Looking forward to it as it's just before my birthday and it looks like my best bet for the year at getting under four hours which would be a nice present.

Logic - I am hoping something like that time wise but expecting to get everything wrong and end up somewhere near the back well over four. But I will worry about position when I am looking for wins (yeah right!). The other day I was third in a 10k but no-one got under 42 mins, I would rather be under 40 and somewhere in the middle. I will happily be last if I can get under four hours.

• Options
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

What have you been trying to achieve with that sort of training Dr Dan?

I think my marathon issues in the past have been down to poor fuel usage ... I consumed silly amounts of carbohydrate in general life and believe I am pretty inefficient at burning fat. So this time I'm experimenting with running with an empty carb tank. My diet has a lot less carbs now and a lot more healthy fat. Coupled with this, I've also taken on board the Hanson approach of not over-doing the long run distance, but nevertheless ensuring that it is run on tired legs. The final part of the jigsaw is that I became a full-time bike commuter, about a year ago, so I have cut back a bit on my run mileage.

• Options

Will be interesting to see how that works for you Dr Dan. I eat loads of carbs but run my long runs with no additional fuel (I have breakfast first) and take on very few calories during marathons or ultras so guess that despite being a carb lover I must be quite good at fat burning.

• Options

How's your long run's been LFSF? 45 minute 10k predicts 3.5 hour marathon doesn't it?

00:08:45 /mile will be my target on the start line.

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

Ran a half marathon yesterday at marathon pace - well, the first 7 miles were at marathon pace before I sped up a little in the second half. Felt just how slow those first few miles need to feel, it was hard to get into a rhythm at first.

As far as my long runs go now, I've done a 19, 20, and 21, planning my final long run of 22 this Sunday before taper.

I'm aiming for 3:30 - anyone else around going for that?

• Options

Yes, RW predicts about 3:15 on my 10k but I have learnt that I am unlikely to meet that, or even get near. I just lose my head in the marathon at about 18 miles, legs are OK but I just cant motivate myself and I give up - poor pacing plays a part too although I have a watch this time that will hopefully help a bit on that front.

Long runs have been OK so far, in the last nine weeks I have done at least one 15+ miler per week, four of which were 20 or more. Last one this coming Sunday - doing a trail marathon (plan to take it easy and enjoy the scenery), then three weeks to taper/recover.

I have done as much as possible but something just doesnt seem to work for me on the day (or at least it hasnt in the two I have done so far) so I am not getting my hopes up.

• Options
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Will be interesting to see how that works for you Dr Dan. I eat loads of carbs but run my long runs with no additional fuel (I have breakfast first) and take on very few calories during marathons or ultras so guess that despite being a carb lover I must be quite good at fat burning.

Yep, sounds like you don't have too much issue with fat burning - I'm jealous! My experience is that I can run a 3:38ish marathon and finish strongly or I can attempt 3:30 pace, die between 20-23, and come in in 3:35ish. Based on 10K and HM times, I should be closer to 3:15, so something aint right! The only problem with this experiment is that I have changed too many variables ... so if it goes wrong it could be the lack of general mileage, the lack of enough "20" runs, or bad fat burning. On the bright side, I'm lighter and have clocked a 5:56 mile and sub-20 parkrun recently, so feel in good shape. As always, I won't know until about mile 20...

LessFatStillFat wrote (see)

Yes, RW predicts about 3:15 on my 10k but I have learnt that I am unlikely to meet that, or even get near. .

Sounds familiar!!image

• Options

I may not be there now image Had to abort today's LSR at six miles due to a knee issue, fortunately had a physio appointment booked anyway for a sports massage but the news isn't good. Tendons, ligaments and meniscus are fine according to the fizz but the capsule is acutely inflamed and has, she thinks, suffered some trauma though I'm blowed if I know what that could be, she thinks there is either internal bleeding or possibly a loose piece of cartilage. Whilst it should be better by Abingdon (you'd hope so with it being a month away!) she can't say when I'll be bale to run again, it's too far for me to go for a jog round so I need to maybe see how things go over the next day or two (optimistic or what) and if there's anyone left on the waiting list.

Dr Dan - slower for the first half and think about when you take on fuel?

• Options

LMH Best of luck either (preferably) getting better or finding a transfer before the end of the month...