Options

Abingdon Marathon 2016

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone. Al, you were 2 seconds behind me so I may have shaken your hand at the end!

I got to half way on target and feeling good but it felt like it was uphill and into the wind all the way back and just scraped a sub 3 with 2:59:12. A well organised race but was a bit disdained at the supporters that only cheered their own club's runners and blanked everyone else, especially the bloke with the big black and red flag!!

In all a good day.
  • Options

most of the supporters cheered me on... by teh second lap though most had left to go to teh finish  image

great running there Millsy and Al Runs....

Nadar...good PB...

• Options

I managed 3.19, so having achieved my main aim of a sub 3.30 I now officially retire from Marathon running!

I can't think I'll ever top that, and frankly it hurt a lot! Collapsed just past the finish, but then remembered a friend did the same at the end of the London Marathon and the medics took him in and put a thermometer up his bum, which motivated me enough to summon enough energy to wander off and collapse out of sight of medics, and then I was sick.

All fine now, but don't want to go through all that again!

• Options

After worrying about the 5 hr cut off finished in 4:45:11 so very pleased!Lovely Marshalls but 2 laps hard especially seeing the second lap mile markers when still on first lap!!Ran 20 miles before a 10 second walk at water station.Chuffed with that!Ran u the underpass and all the way to the finish.A great dayimage

• Options
    PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Well done, susiebe1, TheseSticks, serens nos, Millsy, Nader, LessFatStillFat and Al Runs!  Al - knew (without knowing you) that sub 3 was there for the taking - really delighted you got it!

TheseSticks - we must have finished near each other.  I did 3:18:54 but started a bit behind the start line.  I was the playing card.  

What an amazing day!  I think I smiled and waved all the way round.  Certainly a very different experience to running it for a PB.  I'd definitely recommend a costume run.

If you're reading Old Shadowfax, thanks a million to you (and the rest of the committee) for all your time in organising such a wonderful event.

Legs are mashed today.

• Options

Pipes - do you now hold the playing card world record?? That headwind in the last few miles must have been fun! Thanks for your encouraging words before the race about sub3. I honestly wasn't really entertaining it as a possibility until you egged me on! I feel absolutely over the moon.

It really was an amazing day. Loads of great support for a small marathon, both for local runners and out of towners. Well done Abingdon!

Legs probably hurting today but not really noticing it among the euphoria : )

• Options
    PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Really glad my words helped to egg you on, Al Runs image

Yes, that should be a record by about 46 mins, subject to Guinness World Records people being happy with evidence. Got to sort through the photos - one from each mile marker and many from mid-race. This is one of my favourites so far...

/members/images/29073/Gallery/Pic_from_the_front_(good_one).jpg

• Options

Awesome photo! Big smile and leaving everyone else for dead. Congratulations world record holder!

• Options

Well done Pipes!  Yes I was just ahead of you for most of the race (the amount of cheering you got I knew exactly who was behind me! It was great hearing all the cheers you got - you were very popular!), and you went past me just before the underpass.  Tried to keep up with you but my legs were shot by then!

• Options

Pipes.. ant believe I didn't see you at the start.....too fast for me to see you on route. ...that is a great photo..

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

3:31 for me and a PB, although disappointed not to get a sub-3:30. All was good up to 22 miles and then I started to slow between 22 and 23 ... never hit The Wall but the low mileage caught up with me in the end and my pace dropped by about 50 s/mi for the last 4.2. I did put in a decent surge on the track though and re-gained quite a few places.

Good event - parking too far away and those tiny cups of water were not sufficient (was forced to take a bottle of lucosade at a later station just to keep hydrated), Otherwise great!

• Options

What a fantastic day - I had gold, silver and bronze times;

Bronze - a PB, so under my previous 3:13:39

Silver  - sub-3:10

Gold - GFA of sub 3:05

I struggled to decide on my strategy over the days leading into the marathon but decided to try 7 min/miles and managed to hold that through to the end, a fairly even split and finishing time of 3:02:21....

So happy and not really sunk in that I've got the Good For Age image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image outstanding! Gold level smashed.image

• Options

Smashed it Chownsie!

Oh yeah did anyone else notice that the 21 mile marker was a quarter of a mile further down the road than it should have been??

Still buzzing...

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Al, yes I was thinking that. My splits went up to a 9:45 and then back down to a 4:10.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Yep ... I assumed I'd missed the 21 sign ... and then it appeared just before 11 minuteimage. A painless version of The Wall? Relieved when 22 came at 4:47.

• Options

From memory the 14 mile marker was out by a bit last year, sounds like it was another fantastic race, may look at returning in a couple of years, the home of my pb

• Options

Delighted you enjoyed the race- some great times.  And yet another world record set at Abingdon too- well done Pipes!

Nader- is this you?

/members/images/433328/Gallery/Abingdon_marathon_1258.JPG

Well done for completing the last 200m though

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

Oh dear, yes, that is me... was rather hoping the cameras missed that image

• Options

Shadowfax - don't suppose you have any more photos or vids from the final track lap? 

• Options

Al- yes I do but photos not video.  Still haven't finished sorting them all out.  But message me you number and I'll have a look

• Options

Thank you! My number was 541 and finish time 2:59:14

• Options

Well done everyone!  I really enjoyed the day and have a lot of great memories.  My race didn't quite go to plan, but there are a lot of positives to take!  

I ran 2.42; a big PB of almost 7 minutes!  Unfortunately my plan to run an even split failed miserably; I crossed halfway at 1:15.30 trotting along nicely with the eventual winner Paul, I was feeling really good until about 16 then Paul pulled away from me and I started to struggle a bit.  I kept focused and pushed on, but as the miles ticked on my vision got blurrier and blurrier!  That is not a good feeling!  I'd taken gels sensibly and tried to stay hydrated (the rubbish cups don't make that easy though) but it wasn't enough.  

I was very fortunate to have brilliant support from friends and family all the way round the course and was grateful to a lot of strangers to cheering me too!  

It's a great event and I really enjoyed running in a really chilled out low key event.  Unfortunately, there was a big error by the lead cyclists who took the leaders (about 200m in front of me at the time) down the wrong right turning at about 6 miles (apparently it was last year's course).  The two lads ended up having to loop back a bit further on and rejoin the course.  They both ran further than a marathon on GPS, but the main issue will have been the disruption to their rhythm!

I also wasn't particularly impressed by the water stations, cups are so difficult to take cleanly from the (excellent) volunteers, often I'd be left with only a mouthful of water.  At one of the stations about 10 miles the lad in front of me failed to get a cup first time and then took the one I was aiming for, there wasn't enough water in it for both of us!  

All in all though a really good race and one I'd recommend.