Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Spoons-You've got no need to worry as it was still a very decent time particularly given the circumstances. 5k is a horrible distance and will have no bearing whatsoever on your marathon performance when we are all expecting a huge PB to back up the fantastic training you have been doing!

Water-just a few sips to help wash down the occasional gel (which also are water based) seems to be all that I need. Might be different if it was warm though....

HA-Nice book-know it well. Have a good double.

Enjoy the last big MLR Millsy.

Well toughed out on that session last night BR. As you say one for the mental bank. Speaking of mental-"prancing around Battersea Park in full London outfit" sounds about right!

Not long now Manchester crew. Taper sounds like its going well for you all. Weather forecast very encouraging. Let the carb loading begin!

Longish run for me this morning. last part of my course so had time to do it in daylight-just! Lovely still conditions so attacked it- 17 miles with 10 @ MP (60:36) and 6:16 m/m avg for the lot. Very happy with that  felt good throughout and finished strongly.....nice confidence booster.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Wow, Tom - a great midweek run!

On a limited network so can't see this book everyone is raving about.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR SQ.

Spoons - I wouldn't be concerned about the 5k. If it was a small PB and you felt bad then that's a good sign. Due to the endurance base you have I suspect your conversion from 5k to Marathon will be much better than most anyway.

Joe - Do you really need to lose weight?

Nice Tempo the other day HA. All sounds pretty positive from you Millsy.

Easy 5 miles for me at lunch, no immediate pain or issues so couple of days rest and I will try again. Ironically I feel more comfortable running on the pavement than grass. I think it allows me to bounce off the midfoot rather than off the forefoot where my issues are.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Some nice tapering going on, Manchester really is almost here! Good luck to those having their final big week.

My calf was feeling a little better yesterday so thought I would test it with a cheeky 5. Pace felt alright but by the end my leg was pretty sore. I now plan not to run until I toe the line at Brighton in 11days time. Really hope I can be pain free and feeling good.

• Options

I think the P&D advice on water is a little outdated these days. While you don’t want to get too dehydrated, a little dehydration is inevitable when running a marathon and as SQ says it doesn’t harm performance. I just drink to thirst and try to have a few sips at each station. I’d rather be slightly dehydrated than hyponatremic, which is much more dangerous.

Ha that book looks great HA, might have to track a copy down for my nephew!

Nice work on the session and the photo shoot Joe. Well done not falling in the canal SQ, we’ve had enough of that lately along there! Awesome running as ever Tom. And glad to hear you are running pain free Reg. Get better soon TrevO!

Thanks for the reassurance about yesterday. I’m not worried, as I say in a funny way it’s been a confidence booster as my legs still feel really fresh despite the effort. I’m confident that without the stitch I’d have been much faster. 7 mile recovery at lunch today ticked by very comfortably.

• Options
    Good luck with the last few days Manchster crew.
    Well done on the bonus PB RSR.  I don't like to take too big a bite out of PBs as it leaves something for next time round.
    Good to read of progress Reg, fingers crossed Trevo.
    Stand out run Tom and some other great stuff going on, partially and fully clothed and in fancy dress.
    After 4 days of feeling my hamstring grumble whenever I bent to tie shoelaces etc it was time to foolishly test it in a 10k race round the olympic park.  I would have knocked it on the head but I was part of a team and the my entry had been paid for and I hadn't been back since 2012 so wanted a trip down memory lane.  The only objective was to get round without any damage, a sub 5k pb pace 1st mile blew that objective out the water but I managed to reign my enthusiasim in and run a fairly consistent 10k and probably my most enjoyable.  Anyway, I didn't do a Derek Redmond, no apparent damage and a nice little 10k PB so its cotton wool time.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice racing Spoons & Macca. Nice to bag a pre-marathon PB. Never done the Aztec West run but doing the Hereford 5K next week which isn't flat but after a sharpish climb for the first 500m undulates back down then finishes with 300m on the track. Set my PB there in 2015 & my SB last year too, both times in the final stages of marathon training. PB was only 4 days before the marathon.

Ran a relay marathon today as a charity event in the school sports hall. We were doing up & back (25m each way) with a turning board against the wall then tagging the next athlete. I think I probably did about 20 lengths = 1km. The numbers fluctuated so it was hard to keep track exactly. We managed 1:57:41.

Fingers crossed for the calf TrevO.

Saw your XC run on Strava SQ & thought 11M with those efforts for U13s was pretty brutal! Glad you cleared that up. Great session & monthly mileage. I seem to have peaked too early: I'm going to be pushed to manage 240 this month due to my days off nursing the aches & pains.
  • Options
    Interesting comments on hydration. Maybe there's a happy medium to be struck.  I'll do a bit more research if I have time.   But I've been too involved in the invention of a new game, so no time right now. 
  • Options
    So this is the latest list, mainly brought to the top to show the Manchester runners...  and let me amend my target  (still v ambitious)

Manchester
     2nd April 
    Olliepop 70-85 18w sub 2:45
    Regwand DIY sub 2:45 TBC 
    Ramjet 55-70 sub 3:00 
    SteveMac 18/55 sub 3:15 
    Northender 18/55(ish) was 3:19...  now 3:24
    Just Coop Going Sub 3:45 (GFA)
    Brighton 9th April 
    Runspoonrun 85+ 18w 2:59 
    FBT  Pick & mix 45 12w 3:10
    Rob1978 55-50 18w 3:25
    TrevO 18/55 sub 3:30 (hopefully 3:15)
    Trirunningfaster
    Paris 9th April 
    Macca TBC
    Boston 17th April 
    Johnoz 55-70 18w 2:59 
    Goldeagle 18/55 sub 4:00
    London 23rd April 
    Lit 
    Slowkoala 
    AlanB 85+ 16w sub 2:35 
    Tom13 55-70 18w sub 2:40
    HA77 DIY sub 2:40 
    dct hopefully 70-85 2:44:59 
    Muddy DIY 60-70 sub 2:50
    Bluemoon86 70-85 18w sub 2:50
    Sorequads 55-70 18w 2:50 
    15West Daniels Sub 2:50 
    Millsy 55-70 18w 2:54 
    Jooligan 55-70 24w 2:59
    Macca P&L/P&D TBC 
    Mattywarr 18-55 Sub 3.05 (GFA)
    Madbee 55-70 sub 3:10 
    Joe Blogs-BR sub 3.45
    Lou Diamonds 40-55 TBC
    TrevO – Will see after Brighton
    BananaCoop - sub 4:24:50 (GWR)
    Southampton 23rd April
    FBT Pick & mix 45 12w 3:15
    AWC 33-55 18w sub 3:30
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nice midweek runs Tom and SQ, 
    Trev, hopefully 11 days of rest will do the trick. 
    Macca, if the hamstring can handle a 10k PB then it doesn't sound too bad. Congrats on the PB.
    Reg, good to hear the foot is on the mend. 
    Have you informed Nike about the sub 2 marathon Jools? 

Last MLR for me 14 miles with the last 8 as part of the club run. Most of the chat was about last long runs and tapers.

Manchester has crept up very swiftly, tomorrow must be the start of the carb loading. 
  • Options
    So, what else do you do on taper week?  Introducing...

Fantasy Marathon League

Team selection

• Select a team of (up to) 4 runners who appear on our thread list of runners for the upcoming weekend's marathon(s).
    • Predict a finish time for each runner.
    • Nominate your team’s Sandbagger Captain

Scoring

1. For each runner, calculate the difference between your prediction and the actual result.  THEN round this difference to the nearest whole minute.
    2. For each runner, award yourself 20 FML points, minus 1 FML point for each minute you calculated in step 1 (if you’re >20 mins out, just score zero).
    3. FML “Bang on Bonus” :  10 FML points if your prediction was within 60seconds of the actual  or  5 FML points if your prediction was between 61 and 180 seconds of the actual
    4. FML “SandBagger Bonus”   If your Sandbagger Captain runs faster than their own prediction then calculate the difference between your prediction and theirs, to the nearest minute, then double this number to find your FML Sandbagger Bonus.
    5. Add all the points together to find your weekly total. We’ll find a weekly winner, and perhaps keep a league table going through spring marathon season.

Choosing your Runners & Riders

All threadsters are encouraged to post a little bio-pic to describe history, training etc, and a latest prediction (what you think you’ll achieve) and perhaps any targets you have, which may be different.  But it’s not mandatory. We’ll take the times mentioned on the most recent long list of thread runners to be the reference point unless clearly superseded by a bio-pic.  Where only a target is mentioned, this shall constitute the prediction… and if more than one target is mentioned, then the fastest of these will be considered to be the prediction.

In the event of ambiguous information or something being unclear, we’ll settle it by means of a mass online argument.

• Options
    So... maybe this game won't work, but why not give it a go - maybe use Manchester as a bit of a test run!  My bio-pic before Sunday's Manchester marathon.
    I'm 52.  I've done one marathon a year since my first in 2012, except I did two in 2013.  Times  4:00, 3:46, 3:45, 3:49, 3:46, 3:24.
    Training started well 18 weeks ago, but went down hill badly with what I assume to be overtraining syndrome.  I've felt increasingly good in the last 3 weeks and I seem to have pace... but in the last 14 weeks I've averaged 27mpw compared to 39.5 in the same period last year.  I'm normally very good at predicting finish times but never been so unsure as this time, with no half-marathon to act as a baseline.  If I had to bet, I'd guess at 3:32 this is my official prediction for the FML game. But I shall target a marginal PB and see how we go.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Hello. My name is Ramjet and I am a marathon addict.

Here is how Sunday will go:

Start off with vague plans of speeding up after 20 miles and going sub 3.

Miles 1 to 16 all nicely in the 6:5x range.
    Miles 17 to 20 in the same range but requiring some effort.
    At mile 20 laugh hysterically at the thought of speeding up at this point.
    Fade gradually over the next 6 miles.
    Finish time: 3:05 for a 3 min PB
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Sounds fun NE. Although it may be hard to find a team of 4 on any week apart from VLM week. Will have a go though.

8 with 2 @ MP for me. MP miles felt a bit harder than I hoped but there was a slight headwind...

Great run as ever Tom! Hope the recovery continues Reg.

Jooligan I think you get the prize for the most fun while marathon training!

Did someone say carb-loading starts tomorrow? I thought it started today. Oops.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice one NE.
    Great casual PB Macca, glad the hammy is ok.
    Good to see you running again Reg.
    Great MP run Tom - looking really good for 6m/m
    Good use of work time for a session SQ and nice to get the last MLR done Millsy.
    Hope your niggles improve Jooligan and that your get to the start line ok Trev.
    Good session Joe and nice MLR on Strava.

Managed my big Wednesday yesterday. Lunchtime was the work handicap race, so 9ish miles with 4ish at HMP. Was considering doing my own session rather than the club track session so when the bedtime routine meant I was late out of the house and wouldn't make it to the track on time I wasn't too worried. Up to Ascot racecourse again, luckily this time I could do most of the session before it was properly dark. Once I worked out how to get the autolap on my watch working I did the Hour of Power (copied and modified session from someone on Strava) - 1min MP, 30s HMP x 40. One straight was uphill straight into a solid wind so it was more based on effort rather than pace. Managed 10.25miles for the hour, which I was really happy with at the end of a long day totalling 23 miles. Felt strong and really quite enjoyed the session. Considered that I may have been overdoing it somewhat and risking injury but it's the sort of session I really like when I'm running well and it gave me a real buzz during and afterwards so I'm glad I did it.

Will probably do the track double day again next week but nothing anywhere near as hard as yesterday.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Interesting idea NE-Nice one.

Congrats on the PB Macca-you must be in good shape to run so well with a dodgy hamstring!

Excellent MLRs SQ and Millsy.

Hope you start to feel better soon Trev and you get tp the start in one piece.

Jooligan-hope the niggles settle down....take it easier for a few weeks to freshen up and you should be ready!

Awesome session to cap a big day HA-you really are flying at the moment. Keep a lid on it now (don't get injured basically) and there will be no stopping you in London!

7 mile jog in the pouring rain this morning.

Those with experience of the Blue start in London-what time do I need to be getting to Blackheath? Would 8 am be early enough or will it be too busy by then?
  • Options
    Tom, HA - both had monster runs yesterday, great to see you both going so well. You should potentially work together in London, would be good to have company.

Trev - fingers crossed for you mate.

Macca - love an unintentional PB - things looking really good, great work.

Jooligan - marathon relay sounds fun, good luck in Hereford next week. 

Nice to get the last MLR in the bank Millsy. Not too long to go now.

NE - like the idea of this game. Might need to change my target to avoid people picking up easy sandbagger points off me.

Ramjet - enjoyed your pre-report from sunday. I'm sure that won't be how it turns out. That MP session always feels harder than it should.

Had a confidence boosting 13 miles @ 7.06 last night. Felt good, enjoyed it, trying to get some mojo back. 

I've signed up for a 20 mile race at Eton Dorney this weekend as I couldn't face 20 with 14 @ MP solo. I'm doing a bit of an inverse taper for London, I'll just be taking it easy in the final week before the race. 

• Options
    Heh, I like your game idea NE, I'll play - as I'm in for Manchester you can have my bio:
    Lady, aged 31. Manchester will be marathon number 5, like NE I have raced one a year since 2013. Best time 3:55 (but on Manchester short course 2015 and with awful training), worst time was last year, 5:20-something, but it was during an Ironman, I had stomach 'issues,' and was able to sprint finish because my legs were fresh with all the resting in toilets on course.. goal is still sub 3:45. Training has been consistent. I will be wearing normal clothes, not my Bananaman outfit.

Great mid-week session HA. I'm always impressed by hard efforts done solo. 

Great 10k PB Macca, pleased you didn't hurt yourself. 

All the best for healing Reg, Trevo and Jooligan.

Jooligan
    that marathon relay sounds awful! Well done.

Last proper run before Manchester this morning, coincided nicely with the monthly free breakfast, now: CARBS. Thankfully my carb aversive OH is out of town on Saturday so I will be scoffing pasta guilt free :*  

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: I've not heard about that Eton Dorney race before. I've got 19mi w14@MP this weekend so am tempted to drive just over an hour to do that.
  • Options
    AWC. Do it. Looks like a no frills kind of event, but the company I think will be invaluable. Even just other people being around. Send me a message if you want a link to the website. You won't be coming from London will you?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    AWC, I've used a couple of local halfs to do the longer MP runs. It's much easier than trying to do them solo. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    AWC-would definitely recommend doing it. So much easier than a solo training run.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    10 with 5x 1200 done and I actually enjoyed it. Paces for the 1200's were
    6:08
    6:02
    5:55
    6:11
    6:08

was the first time in years I've ever listened to music on a run, due to iPod issues, and it seemed to make a bit of a difference with the speed. Hopefully back to podcasts for the Saturday long run. 
  • Options
    I've not posted for a few weeks but good luck to everyone doing Manchester on Sunday. I've been struggling with a tight hamstring this week which is not ideal but I'm confident I'll be ok on Sunday. Not enjoying the taper but it'll hopefully pay off on Sunday.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck on Sunday Mark. Hopefully it's one of those phantom taper niggles that tend to surface. 
    Have you got a target time? 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice workouts from Millsy & HA.
    Like the game idea NE - presumably we need to publish our team selection & our predictions by Sun 9am latest. Good luck with the PB hunt.
    Loving the biopic Ramjet - sounds exactly like my marathon history thus far  :D

My biopic: Male 47, 6'2", 74kg,
    training 2017 = 900 miles thus far with PBs from parkrun to HM along the way.
    I ran my first marathon (London) in 2007 in 4:28, then went back in 2010 for a sub 4 & managed 3:50. Since then I have done 21 more: road, off-road, as part of an IronMan & a double marathon over the Malverns.
    Road marathon times have gone
    2012 3:40 (Gloucester), 3:26 (London)
    2013 3:17 (Brighton)
    2014 3:16 (Brighton), 5:04 (Tenby IronMan), 4:06 (Snowdonia)
    2015 3:09 (Brighton), 3:28 (Snowdonia)
    2016 3:02 (Brighton), 3:18 (London), 3:07 (Abingdon)
    2017:2:59 (London) I hope but not as confident as I was a month ago

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    23 marathons Jooligan? That is some going. Nice overall improvement in times over the years.

Good luck on Sunday Mark. Tapering is a bit boring but I am enjoying the carb. loading! Sounds like you will as well JCG!

Nice intervals Millsy. Can't say I have ever enjoyed 5 x 1200!

Strong MLR BR. Try not to get carried away in the 20 mile race and race it! Otherwise it's a great idea.

Well done on that double HA. Two hard sessions in one day is unorthodox but you seemed to smash it!

Just 6 easy miles for me and the cycle home from work. Forecast looking great at the moment ;-)
  • Options
    Good luck Mark.
    Looks like we have at least 4 for the Manchester FML.  I envisage problems picking the captain sandbagger from the 3 kings of SB'ing running London but otherwise the game looks a bit of fun. 
    Time to start donning those race faces.
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Best of luck to the Manchester runners in their scoffing phase. I think the weather forecast looked great last I checked.

I've seen some excellent runs on the thread past few days but been a bit too busy to make special mentions.

I'll put myself up for NEs FML. At 46, 6ft 2, I've been running nearly 4 years and did a first marathon last September in 2.53 as the final bit of my base training coming back from injury/break from running. I ran a half at marathon effort two weeks out from it in 1.26.xx. This time around my marathon effort half came in at 1.23.xx so I would estimate I could be good for sub 2.50 at London. This campaign I have ran less than for my first on account of managing the after effects of a slip/fall. Recent half times of 1.16.31 (flat, no wind) and 1.17.14 (undulating, windy). Not a big fan of mega long runs so marathon conversion may be poor - have done 4 runs around 20 miles so far, I think. Did 3 for Hull.

I'll have a trawl through the Manchester entries and come up with some guesses tomorrow ...
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ramjet - I initially started doing the 2 sessions in a day thing to try to make the most of the time available between work and family but have since found a fair bit of info on others doing it. Something definitely worth trying but I think there's a bigger injury risk and you need to build into it gradually.
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/training/double-time-working-out-twice-a-day_107033
    http://mymarathonpace.com/uploads/Canova_-__Something_new_in_training__by_John_Davis.pdf

Nice reps Millsy.

Here's my bio:
    Male 39, 6ft 1. Running since I was 12, most PBs still from when I was 16/17. This will be my 4th marathon, first 2 (both London) in 2004/5 didn't train for properly and ran 2:55 / 3:20. Last year was the first time I did what I would call proper marathon training, following P&D (65-75mpw most weeks with a couple at 88 miles) Ran 2:40:01 in Manchester. This year there's less time for training, with another addition to the family. Injured (achilles) and sick for 6 weeks over Dec / Jan and since then mileage has been 50-65 mpw. Recent half times - Wokingham (12/2) 1:17:36 (flat, no wind), Coventry (19/3) 1:13:24 (undulating, windy). Only one run of 20 miles or more done (only 3 others over HM distance and no long MP runs) so also concerned about conversion from HM to marathon. Target time 2:39.