Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    More great running.

Ramjet - Sounds like everything went pretty much perfectly. Great to get that sub 3 time.

ML84 - Awesome running. You say it got a bit hard work at 19/20 miles but holding for a 1 min positive split is great work.

NE - Great run. Looking forward to the report.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great run NE. My first Manchester and I really couldn't fault it. Even toilet queues were minimal. 

Cheers HA77. I must admit when I went through halfway I wondered how the hell I could run another to get a pb. I basically just tried to run the last 10k at sub 6 which bloody hurt. Haha

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

1. FML “SandBagger Bonus”   If your Sandbagger Captain runs faster than their own prediction then calculate the difference between your prediction and theirs, to the nearest minute, then double this number to find your FML Sandbagger Bonus.
    Just wanted to clarify NE. It says to use the difference between your prediction and theirs to calculate the Sandbagger Bonus. Should it be the difference between their prediction and actual time? 

Anyway this is what I think my points are:

• Options
    Mark - fantastic time considering the injury, can't believe you held it together so well.

JCG - very tense report. Massive congratulations for getting the GFA! Must have been so hard without having the splits to monitor, very impressive. See you at the green start in London in 3 weeks. 

Ramjet - I've been showing some mates your pacing, absolutely perfect. One of the best executed races I've ever seen. Thoroughly deserved, you'll have that sub-3 with you for life! Congrats mate. 

ML - just wow. ridiculous. 

NE - sounds like you had a great day, look forward to the report.

Legs feel great this morning. All this sandbagging captain chat - I haven't given you a target time for London yet.. 
  • Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Great running Manchester crew, some brilliant times but more impressive is the bang on pacing. Hope everyone is feeling ok today.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Superb pacing ML84. I ran my parkrun PB Saturday at 5:50s. I know how hard that was. I can only dream of running another 23 miles at that pace.

JB sub 3:45 was your declared target & gets you the record. I guess you'll be revising that downwards even with the fancy dress encumbrance.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Sub 2:45 Joe? Based on your MP run yesterday with a bit more left in the tank
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Points are in:

Ramjet 113
    Jooligan 106
    Tom13 105
    Macca 103
    Muddyfunster 102
    HA77 100
    Scott Pulley 96
    JohnOz 94
    Millsy 90
    Sorequads 90
    JoeBlogsBR 83
    Reg Wand 83
    Just Coop Going 78
    Northender 76

Another good result for Ramjet, unfortunately not so good for the game's creator.

I calculated the SBB based on difference between runners predicted time and actual time. Let me know if that's wrong NE. 
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Just popping out of hiding to say well done to all the Manchester runners! The weather was glorious and it looks like you all made the most of it.

Unbelievably good pacing from Ramjet and ML84, very impressive stuff.

Great write up from JCG and congratulations for getting GFA.

Gutsy run from Mark carrying an injury.

Glad you got to enjoy the event so much Northender.

Sad to have missed out on the FML, but if my fantasy football predictions are anything to go by, it was probably for the best.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Fantastic runs all round, you guys and girls have set an amazingly high standard for the rest of us to follow!

Ramjet - that is such a perfectly run race you would think you were the 3 hour pacer. Well done on a sweet sub 3. 

JCG - bang on prediction as well and even more impressive to do it on feel. Pressures off for London!

NE - happy that you got such a great time despite your build up, really pulled it out on the day. 

MarkH - that's balls of steel to PB when you're hamstring goes so early! You must have already been in sub 2:55 shape so awesome run in the circumstances. 

SteveMac - another one to smash your target. Well done on a great run. 

ML84 - wow that is just plain fast. Congrats on a fantastic PB. 

And loved reading all your reports, it really brings to life how hard it gets in the latter stages but also the joys of hitting your targets. 

And not to forget Joe and Tom on 2 impressive training runs, there definitely must have been something in the air this weekend.  

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Ramjet – excellent pacing and a what a difference to last spring’s marathon!! Well done!

ML – amazingly impressive running  and those splits are just brilliant. Well-paced indeed! 

NE – great results given how tough your run up to the marathon has been with limited training and glad you enjoyed it.

JCG – that’s great running with no live splits to guide you. Congratulations on a well deserved GFA. 

Mark – I can’t imagine running that far with a dodgy hamstring. That must have been tough mentally so massive kudos for that

• Options
    Ace stuff Ramjet. And top of the FML !

Amazing run ML84, sounds like it wasn't a good idea to aim for sub 2.30 as the second half was so tough. My FML has gone down in flames now :)

NE - Glad you enjoyed it. After you mentioned your recent mileages I was ever so slightly apprehensive on your behalf. You can't keep a good marathoner down it seems.
  • Options
    Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Well done Manchester Racers..

Top Pacing JCG and everyone coming in on target, Top effort for sub 3 there Ramjet!

.... Sets the pace for Brighton next week!!!! Eek

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Nice one on sorting the FML HA. Busy day at work then  ;)

Edit: Ramjet chose ML84 as SBC not JCG so gets nul points for SBB. Still stays top though.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Spot on about work Jooligan. Cheers for picking up the mistake, there are probably a few more in there.

AlanB - You were thinking of running a later spring marathon like Edinburgh? Did you decide what you're doing yet?

Solid 11 mile progression run today. Probably the last LTish run of the schedule.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    I've not decided yet HA77. Quite enjoying not having a particular focus at the moment and just racing myself fit. I've got a 10k on Sunday, then a 3k the week after and a 10,000m track race the week after that so will see how they go. I don't have to decide until the end of the month.

I don't seem to see your training on the strava group, do you keep it private or have you just blocked me? Sounds like a good session though!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Alan - Today's progression run should be up there now. I make them all public. I often don't upload my runs straight away so they will come onto strava way down the list.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Alan - I also meant to ask if you're following a particular plan. I noticed you often do a steady MLR on Sat then a slower long run Sunday. I quite like the idea but don't think I'd have time to do it.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    It's kind of an amalgamation of a simple Lydiard base training plan I found online and the home-made plan I followed for Manchester back in 2015. The Sat-Sun back to back works well for me and forces me to take it easy on the long run. I've been doing the exact same sessions/routes every week, Lydiard recommends doing that to make it easier to track progress, and it seems to be working.
  • Options
    DPJ77DPJ77 ✭✭
    Totally brilliant running everyone - well done!

I'm also in awe of these detailed run reports - even with Strava data everything from about mile 3 is a hazy blur!

The only thing I can remember is looking at my watch as I was beginning to tire at 21 miles, seeing 2:30 and thinking, 'No problem. Well on track for my first sub 3.'

A minute or so later I realised that this in fact meant smashing out sub 6:00s all the way to the end and even then it being very tight. This completely confused me and caused no small amount of panic - I'd been hitting 6:42s fairly consistently for the first 21 miles, so didn't really know what had happened or how I'd got myself into this position!

After a moment of panic, I glanced at my watch again and saw that it was 2:21 and I'd completely misread it! Cue huge amounts of relief and double checking pace / how much I could afford to slow down and then back to the blurry haze until I finally crossed the line in 2:57:21.

Apart from that, everything went pretty much to plan (P&D 55-70 with target pace 6:45s). Tired massively in the last few miles, but still came in with a 13 min pb, so well chuffed!

It's funny the bits that you remember and the things that you can't!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Superb running JCG and Ramjet. Also NE for a great time!

Great training runs on here too! Thanks to anyone who tracked/spotted my result, after blowing up at mile 20 in Berlin I sort of sandbagged on this thread and went for a sub 3:15 target from the start, but really wanted a sub 3:10....managed 3:10:15 on the day for a 13 minute PB....report to follow.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Arrived in Manchester on Saturday afternoon and had a nice meal at Zizzi and went back to the hotel for an early night. Slept well and made my way to the start line feeling ready to race.

Plan was to run at 3:10 pace (7:15 min miles), same pace as Berlin. Clocked off the first 3 miles at 7:14/7:01/7:07 slightly too fast but was feeling comfortable, spotted my GF at mile 3 and continued on. Next 3 miles went by in 7:11/7:10/7:10 and went through 10k in 44:33, slightly faster than the 45 minutes I had targetted, but not too worried. Next few miles clocked by 7:18/7:02/7:15/7:09 to arrive at the 10 mile point feeling like I'm running well. Spotted my GF at mile 12 when she asked how I felt and I waved and said great, next miles came in at 7:15/7:07/7:08 and I went through HM distance in 1:34:06 slightly ahead of my planned 1:35.

Around mile 12 I started running with a guy called John who was also targetting 3:10, so we ran together and clocked over the next few miles in 7:14/7:19/7:14/7:12/7:16/7:10/7:12 to hit the 20 mile point in around 2:24 about a minute ahead of plan and 3 minutes faster than Berlin, but also feeling in a much better place than Berlin.

Ticked off miles 21 and 22 in 7:09/7:17 while running with John, but then I started to drop off the pace while John was getting stronger, so he ran on ahead and I focused on just moving forward and ticked off the next 2 miles in 7:22/7:26 to get through 24 miles. I knew I was running below 3:10 pace at this point, but as I had gone slightly faster in the first half knew I might be close to target time but couldn't work anything out!! It was getting painful now and it felt like I was slowing a lot but I kept moving and caught more runners who had slowed a lot more than I had and clocked the next 2 miles in 7:32/7:29 and passed the 26 mile marker.

By this point my feet were killing me and I just needed to finish so put in a sprint finish and passed a few more runners coming into the finish, my GF shouted my name at this point but I didn't spot her as I was just focused on finishing the race, crossed the finish line and stopped my watch to see 3:10:25, I secretly hoped that I had started my watch 26 seconds early!!

Collected my finishers bag and medal and walked/hobbled to the meeting area to meet up with GF who told me my official time was 3:10:15 for a 13 minute PB, a bit disappointed I didn't dip under 3:10 but very pleased that the run went well and I smashed my PB. I did tell the GF after I finished that I wasn't going to race another marathon, but I really want to dip under that 3:10 barrier!!

Overall a great day, nice weather, good course and great support!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    It's great to see everyone's progression on this thread and gives me hope that perhaps I can convert my HM time to a better marathon time with more training and another couple of P&D cycles under my belt. Would be nice to get a sub 3:05 for a GFA London place at some point....
  • Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Well done SteveMac. Could easily have slipped away but you dug in when clearly it was uncomfortable, will hopefully take that inspiration with me for Sunday in Brighton.

DPJ - Maths at 21miles its never going to be easy so good job it was just miss-reading your watch. Odd that you and Steve both managed 13m pb's, think I would take that if it was offered to me at the moment even though I had set out hoping for more.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    DPJ: lucky you rechecked your watch - couldn't imagine trying to speed up from 6:45 to 6:00 at mile 21!! Massive PB and great result in the end.

SteveMac - great run and great PB time as well. Sounds like you really toughed it out to stay on track for a 3:10.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A nice pair of 13 min PB's from Steve and DPJ, taking that chunk of time off at that level is very impressive. Possibly some more to take off at the next one.

Sounds like you enjoyed your sub 3:30 as well NE, looking forward to the full report. 

Once again it it looks like the P&D plan is getting people to some awesome PBs. I've only been at my club for 4 weeks and I think I've recommended the book to nearly everyone I've spoken to.

6miles with 8x100m in a pair of Adidas response boost that I picked up in TKMAXX for £35. So far so good. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

ML84 - 18th place is amazing and great pacing as well.

NE - glad you enjoyed it. Hard not to with so much support on the course.

BR - glad my splits have inspired you! I am tempted to print them out and frame them I must admit!

It is partly because Manchester is such a flat course. On a normal course you'd have to allow a few slower miles where the hills are. I'll be surprised if I can ever pace a marathon like that again! All the splits were in the 6:46 - 6:56 range. ML's splits were almost as consistent actually.

HA - thanks for doing the scores. I wasn't expecting to be top! I thought I had given everyone too many SBC points for predicting 3:05.

DPJ - well done on smashing through the 3:00 barrier. Glad P&D worked for you.

Steve - well done on a huge PB. And a nice doable sub 3:10 target for next time.

Just to show that not everything went to plan yesterday, I would recommend people empty their guts ASAP after the marathon as well as before it. When runner's diarrhoea strikes and you are nowhere near a toilet it is extremely awkward.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Unfortunately I've made another mistake on the FML Ramjet. I had your prediction down as 3:00, from the original list NE put up, rather than the updated number. Looks like a couple have overtaken you with those extra 10 SBB points. Not that you'll be too worried I'm sure, with your sub 3 in the back pocket. 

Here's what the table looks like now, until we find another mistake:
    Jooligan 116
    Tom13 115
    Ramjet 111
    Scott Pulley 106
    Macca 103
    Muddyfunster 102
    HA77 100
    Millsy 100
    Sorequads 100
    JohnOz 94
    JoeBlogsBR 93
    Reg Wand 93
    Northender 86
    Just Coop Going 78
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Another busy day at work then HA?

9 miles with a few strides for me this morning. 
  • Options
    Steve - that's a huge PB! Sub 3.10 and more is definitely possible - just keep working hard and more rewards will come.

DP - congrats on the first sub 3, it's always a special one. mental maths is always difficult during a marathon.

Nice intervals Millsy and decent progression run HA. 

Had a really promising interval session this morning on pretty knackered legs from Sunday. 8x800m averaging 2.42 (5.28mm) in the local park. Definitely held something back though. Fitness seems to be coming around at just the right time.