Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Race Report - London Marathon

The aim for 2017 was to sub3 and the Manchester marathon surprisingly delivered a 2:50, so the pressure was off.   For London, I decided to aim for a fast marathon again otherwise risk running for the sake of it and not really enjoying or being motivated by it. So having lost a few pounds between the marathons, and seeing the times being set by others on the forum inspired me to set an ambitious 2.50 target. I ran 3:07 in 2016.

I like to split the race into 6*4 mile chunks, aim for 25:15 for the first and expect to lose time as the race progressed. Will one day try and run for a negative split but today was not that day. 

The only drama occurred at mile 4 reached in 24:16 (a bit quick really) when I felt a sudden sharp pain in my left calf. A bit of effing and blinding as thought might have to pull out but thankfully the pain eased off as I slowed into an easier pace and just ran, enjoyed the overwhelming noise and sights and thought how special this race is. Cutty Sark was great, Tower Bridge was bouncing and at hw in 1:22:30, 1 minute up on Manchester so a god time was on. 

Like many the pace eased off through Docklands but still more or less on pace with miles 16-20 for the first time registering 26 min plus at 26.30 (6.45) which was the same for miles 20-24. Kept at an even pace along Embankment but noticeable the numbers of fas ter runners whose races had been run and were limping towards the finish, which kept reminding me of my slightly aching calf. A few guys went charging past and lo behold a few hundred yards later there they were stretching by the side of the road.   So the plan was to go from mile 25, which became go from 1 km out and finally picked it up from 800m when started to overtake lots of runners with the "sprint". Continued to the line to see 2:50 tick over so second half was 1:27;36. For me this was great as a new PB by 43 seconds from 3 weeks previously. Recognised 3 or 4 other Manchester marathon runners in the last mile or so, and more or less we all kept the same places and time differences from 3 weeks ago.

What I would do differently - a few marginal gains. Use technology I have a Garmin GPS which I've never used, I think it would been useful at the end of the race.  Perhaps picked up the pace a bit earlier. The reduced carbo load and water intake worked. Overall being calm and confident really helped.  Thanks London.  Probably Exeter next in 4 weeks time and might try for a negative split.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    LMH- hello! And ha yes, I'd forgotten about that!

Read back a couple of pages and realise I must have been running with Cheerful Dave quite late on - the bloke who collapsed in the tunnel did so about 20 metres in front of me (he runs for a club in South Yorks where I'm originally from). I doubt you'll remember/have noticed, but I had a purple vest with DAC written on the back. I ended up running 2'45'26. Hammy cramped pretty bad at 23. Never had that before (18th Marathon), but it probably cost me my Champs place. Not to worry. 

Joe - I was running with you a fair bit too. I commented on your post on the sub-3 page on FB (I'm Lee Smith in real life!) Cracking run!

Highlight of the day has to be Al P - what a run! Cracking that son. Reasonable in fact. 

Speaking of reasonable - was great to see CRAB on Sunday. If you're reading fella, well done! And hope to see you next year again. 

I really should have broken 2'45 on sunday so I've done what any right-minded person would do - impulsively entered Abingdon
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Seems to have cut the bottom of my post off!

Anyway, impulsively entered Abingdon and persuaded/press-ganged Mr. Boat into entering too. So we'll have a nice 6'10 train I think, if anyone else wants a seat?
  • Options
    It's amazing what a difference being a bit more laid back about it seems to make OuchOuch. How about Yeovil 11th June?

Would love to join you in Abo LS21 but I think I've given up on that one. My record for getting and not using numbers was starting to beat TR's.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Ouchouch - enjoyed your report. Congratulations on the new PB. Very impressive backing up from Manchester 3 weeks ago. I think it can help when the pressure is off as you've already run well - you can just go out fairly hard and see what happens. 

LS - was fun running with you. Good move re; Abingdon. I'm sure you'll crack the 2.45.

Reckon they'll let me wear trunks on the Champs start next year? Thinking of starting a tradition.. 
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Ouch Ouch - I missed your post last night but well done! A couple of 2'50s in 3 weeks is a fabulous return. Well done!

LMH - I know exactly what you mean re Abo. This is the 4th time I've officially entered, and on the 3 previous occasions I've passed my number on to someone else. But I've then actually ran the race 3 times where I'd not entered (and got someone else's number) so who knows!?! Basically if you decide you fancy it, there'll be loads of numbers available come August time (mine being one proabably.....)

Joe - how you feeling? I bet you're still buzzing!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Apparently Joe was last seen auditioning for a starring role in the revived series of Baywatch  ;-)
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    selbs -- your problems with crowd congestion were shared by all on FGFA because of the late start, I now understand (meaning you merged with slower runners from blue & green). Good to see you and don't let me forget I owe you a pint next year! :-)

Wardi -- glad the iron is working. I don't think I ever remembered to tell you we took your tip and and used Gulp and Graze last October! Very nice.

Padams -- I guess it's MK you're doing on Monday then? Hope it goes well!

SL -- I met your mate Greg at the Expo, the start, mid-race, and possibly afterwards as well... how he figured out I was someone you knew in the first place I have no idea.

LS21 -- no idea how I missed you at the pub, unless you went round for another lap first. As I said elsewhere, I had a hamstring cramp up and go 'twang' in the last mile of VLM and while I finished OK, it plagued me for 6 weeks or something, so take it easy (and back luck).

DanA -- ooh, I'd not thought of stalking the samaritan's splits. I didn't see the casualty but I wouldn't have felt guilty about running past someone still on their feet like that, especially with plenty of marshalls etc around; as CD says, you get loads in the last few miles. It would be different if someone was in possible danger, e.g. passed out on the ground. Not that I don't think it's very laudable that he did stop and help, I think that's a very decent thing to do.

OuchOuch -- congrats on the PB so soon after Manchester!

Joe -- you get checked by a veteran athletics official on entry to the champs enclosure to make sure you're wearing your club vest, and the final instructions letter says no fancy dress I think. But... how did Marders do it dressed as batman? Maybe if you get changed at the last minute you'd get away with it, but don't blame me if you're DQ'd!

I've not tried to run yet (except for breaking into a jog to catch trains yesterday); legs were pretty bad this time, consistent with my running hard on them when I feared they might seize up for a patch, but definitely improved yesterday.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've not tried to run yet, either.  Quads are still a bit battered...  Might go for my annual swim tomorrow, or maybe continue sitting around eating lazy and faffing around on the internet.  'Tis the post marathon Week of Sloth, after all!
  • Options

CW/Joe - Marders started from Pen 1 on blue as spiderman, he was behind champs start.  Having said that, there was someone in the champs start dressed as a carrot, he even pinned the second number on the back as per regulations.  He was trying his best to keep hidden before the start and finished in 2:45 or so if you're watching the coverage.

Anyway, you get checked on entry to make sure you've got your club vest with you, not that you're wearing it, but if you start with a bin liner over the top nobody knows what's underneath.

Of course, the best way would be to get the outfit registered as your official club kit.

Sorry I don't recall the purple, LS21.  I figured at that stage we were in the 'just missed 2:45' group, there were a lot of walking wounded who'd laid it on the line and found the engine wasn't up to it.  I guess you get that around the 3 hour mark as well.

I haven't run yet either - my legs are fine but my right big toe is swollen and black with a massive blood blister under the nail - hopefully I won't lose the nail...

• Options
    Joe - you could always slum it with us on the FGFA.

I'm starting to get a bit stir crazy with not being able to run but long walks with the dog are helping. Really hoping my physio can work her magic and I can get back to it by Sunday. May have to get the turbo out if not!
  • Options
    LS - still on top of the world! When I ran 3.29 three years ago, I could've never imagined getting a champs start. Still can't really!

CW/CD - very interesting. Having never looked into the champs start criteria, I wasn't aware of this. I don't think Clapham chasers are going to change their kit to speedos so that rules that out. I was duking it out with the carrot along the embankment - until then I had no idea any fancy dressers were ahead of me. It was a bit like a slower, more budget version of the iron war. Safe to say, I took him down, which was satisfying. May well use the bin liner trick if I decide to stick to tradition.

I've been doing some short, easy runs and some spinning on the turbo. Legs not too bad, been drinking lots of beer though. 
  • Options
    CW - I only know one Greg and he wasn't at the marathon, do you mean Jake (old git, grey hair, blue Bitton vest)?  he ended up sprinting up the Mall for a 2.44.59.
    Joe - Marders got changed at the last minute in the Champs start tent and then cleared it with an official to start at the back of the champs start, he then proceeded to knock out a couple of 5.00 miles to get through the field. Trunks would be ok (probably hide more than Al_P's tiny green shorts) but you'll need a club vest.
    OO -Loved the report, thanks for sharing.  
    Hope everyone's legs are recovering well and that copious volumes of beer and cake have been consumed.

I have the marathon itch, tempted by Yeovil on my birthday but I have a 50 miler 6 days later, any of you ultra nutters care to tell me it's doable?

• Options
    Not sure I count as an ultra nutter but definitely doable Stuart. I'd like to do Yeovil too but need my knee to let me run soon. Physio this morning so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning :y:

Charlie - yeah, it took me an age to get to the pub on Sunday. I was in a bad way with this hammy TBH. Couldn't really walk. Or bend down to take off my shoes/socks. Or even sit! So I ended up just standing up next to a tree in that park as you exit the finish for about an hour, wondering what to do!

CD - not surprised you don't remember! I have very little recollection of anything in that last 3 miles. I mostly had my eyes closed and was counting to 100 repeatedly to try and distract my mind from the pain!

SL - no idea re the Mara/ultra combo! Sounds bonkers, but then you did run 50k on a treadmill so probably right up your street.

Forgot to say - I saw marders on Sat at Southwark parkrun. He seems in good spirits despite having a stress fracture somewhere in his lower back/hip (he did tell me the name of the bone, but as it was more difficult to remember than 'leg' I've forgotten). He was in his Spiderman outfit, which a lot of the kids loved! Photos galore!

Proper benched here. Still cant walk pain-free so running is out for the forseable. Not to worry. Hopefully it passes soon, as it would be nice to do a bit of stress-free easy running for a bit.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    30 min on the cross trainer in the gym. Shame to be indoors on a sunny day but thought low impact would be best as a first bit of exercise. No achilles pain for 2 days so reckon a flat jog could be tried tomorrow.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LS21 - Move over buddy. Calf issue but hopefully not too bad as hoping to  resume raining for the Exeter marathon in May,
    LMH - I am tempted by Yeovil but that would be 5 marathons in 5 months and suddenly start entering 12 in 12 nutter terrority.
    SL - for your decision can I point to the spirit of CD, what would CD do.   That's going to be my mantra.
    Good news on the medal and finishers shirt ebay auction - both sold £130 for Water Aid and Save the Children, and less clutter around the house. 
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    SL -- just did some stalking and yes I think it is that Jake I met probably, must have been calling him the wrong name the whole time. (Still, he might as well get used to it, that's what I do to the rest of you on occasional meet-ups most of the time ;-) .) And I would be rubbish racing again in 6 days, but CD did that post-Boston very nicely indeed...

Joe/CD -- I thought the carrot was really impressive given the costume -- very relaxed at 6 m/M pace, going off line to high-five the crowds etc. I tried to tell him this when I went past at about 15M, but the crowd near him was so loud I don't think he heard! I didn't remember he was champs start. He must have had a tough time in the last few miles though -- maybe the heat in there started to catch up with him.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    SL - perhaps I'm not best placed to give advice, but I'm pretty sure you could win both without going 100% at either.  On the mountain trails, I have done Mont Blanc marathon and the Trail Verbier/St Bernard 120k on consecutive weekends before.  Was crushed by the former (as you'll be familiar!) and did pretty well on the latter in 23 hours.

After a rare few days off, I went for a run this morning.  Tons of energy, but legs still sore.  Have got a place at the Richmond half on Sunday, with an afternoon flight to the lads annual golf trip later on.  If I'm feeling up for it, I might have a fun run.
  • Options
    Thanks Dan - Enjoy the golfing weekend, a slightly different endurance event but equally as challenging.

• Options
    Sorry to barge in to the group, but figured there must be a forum with people I was running with and around on Sunday and looks like this is the spot. I finished just under 2.42 and for many miles all I could hear around me was cries of "Carrot! Carrot!" whilst I struggled to knock out 6 minute miles and the guy in the large orange costume seemed to run them with considerable ease. Passed him in a tunnel somewhere near Canary Wharf and he was the one offering me encouragement - huge respect to him. Joe - you must have been parading your trunks just behind me (were you previously w/Serpentine - i think we may have both run Thames meander a few years back....if so serious congratulations on progress since then). Sorry again to barge in and congrats to everyone on impressive performances. 
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear a few of you have niggles after the weekend, but I guess that's to be expected. Hope they're all cleared up soon.

CW - can't believe you thought Marders was dressed as Batman when it was really Spiderman! Batman would probably be slower with the utility belt and cape.

Ran to and from work yesterday for 9M and 6M just now over lunch, all fairly easy. 8x600m on the grass on Tuesday evening was hard work though. Will be taking it easy now until Monday. Yes CW, Milton Keynes - plan is to start around 7m/m and see how we feel (he just needs sub-3:15 for GFA).
  • Options
    I really hope there's a good reason why marders was hanging round parkrun in his spiderman costume.  Maybe his hotpoint broke and he's got nothing else clean.
  • Options
    Padams - how did you get on at the vets about the reverse sneezing? It's quite a common thing - I've never even thought to take a dog to the vets because of it.

Hello goldenboy - was that a PB.

Unfortunately my pre-race niggles continue. Physio this morning and she thinks the bursa under the right kneecap is inflamed (which she predicted would happen if I ran on it), she did some massage and acupuncture and has taped both my knees again - good job it's not warmer and I don't need to wear a skirt! She wasn't optimistic about my chances of being ready to run by Sunday but I think it's getting better by the day so am still living in hope.

OuchOuch - you could just come to Yeovil, bimble round with me and think of it as a Charliesque training run.
  • Options
    SL - maybe I'll wear the trunks and ditch the club vest with someone in the opening miles..

CW - would've definitely been warmer than my costume, fair play to him!

Dan A - Richmond sounds good, no reason not to have a run out before the trip. If all goes to plan I'll be monumentally hungover on sunday monring.

Goldenboy - that was indeed me. Was it you who was running with me but well within yourself and using it as a training run? That was a PB for me on the day - 3.06, 16 months ago. Great run on Sunday. 

Padams - good luck for MK, sounds like it'll be a fun day out.

LMH - fingers crossed for you. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - Just saw you were 2nd in your age/ gender category - a month or so after being knocked down / busted elbow - amazing.
    I am tempted to run both Exeter and Yeovil as in a loving marathon running phase a the mo and alleviates the slightly empty feeling you get after running an absorbing event like the London marathon.
  • Options
    LMH - thanks, it was a PB. 20 years after my first London marathon when I was overtaken up the Mall by a large man in a Tower of London costume as I failed to make it under 4 hours! Heavily interrupted training so I haven't given up on one last PB. 

Joe - I didn't run with you back at the Thames Meander - but I think we were the only two Serpies out so spoke briefly afterwards and remember your frustration at not dipping under 3. You've certainly put that right....and in "style"!! 

SL - i did marathon distance a week before Comrades .... and then detonated at Comrades but that was purely dehydration, legs were absolutely fine so personally thought it was ok... but think i did Mara about 25 mins slower than usual

i went three steps into first post Mara run to tweak hamstring so sharing the pain!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    CD - article in the local paper (well, local re where I used to live!) re the fella that went down in the tunnel just before 24 miles. He got up and finished in under 3. 

Oh and re marders in his Spider-Man outfit. He was out wearing it again yesterday, crawling along with the pavement with that bloke doing the Mara on all 4s. He's lost his mind. All this no running malarkey has tipped him over the edge. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    3 mile jog done.  8.29m/m on the flat!  No Achilles pain.  Legs are clearly still a bit battered...
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - thanks for asking about the dog. My wife is a vet so hopefully knows when something is up or not (although she is a large animal so wouldn't treat the dog herself). A vet had a look at the dog on Tuesday, gave some steroids and said to keep an eye on it. Still the same yesterday so she is being knocked out today and they will have a look inside.

So I haven't been running with her for a few days, just some plodding on my own (5M this morning). I might do the parkrun at a steady effort tomorrow then not much else until Monday.

Jools - good news about the achilles. Guess you still need a bit more recovery from Sunday but no injury at least.